Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I loving hate these fact checking outlets, every time they call a Republican a liar they have to do a make up one

https://twitter.com/madlinbmek/status/1121043753714819072

The exact number of dead migrants isn't the loving point of that press conference. How bout you fact check "border crisis" or "what states can even do about federal immigration policy". Giving this a "true" rating implies everything he said in his unhinged, red-faced, spittle-spewing audition for the Trump administration is factual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

(please) read this before i get flamed more by idiots on twitter

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
fixing the clocks drat, i can finally go back to ignoring politics now that this nightmare is over... assuming my property taxes don’t go up of course!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i've got a friend with sinn fein levels of government participation and even he'll go vote for permanent DST

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

i say swears online posted:

(please) read this before i get flamed more by idiots on twitter

If you have to make that kind of disclaimer then maybe your tweet should be a smidge more verbose.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Quandary posted:

Dallas mayoral early voting is here this week, as a heads up. At a first glance, I think Scott Griggs is the best (most progressive) candidate but does anyone have any more info?

Also, looking into the down ballot city council races, why the gently caress is every single one of them running on More Cops? Losing my faith in humanity slowly, there is literally not a candidate for my city council spot that isn't campaigning on More Cops.

My understand is Griggs is the best progressive for mayor. I might be wrong on this but I feel like if someone is endorsed by councilman Phil Kingston, it's a good indication they are the most progressive choice in that race.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They're doing a presidential town hall deal at Texas Southern called...sigh.....She the People and folks it's a real tight ship

https://twitter.com/JeremySWallace/status/1121120537223278592

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/lmcgaughy/status/1121435323584655361

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

It explains somewhat the manner in which he expresses himself, it doesn't explain him being a total piece of poo poo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Isn't lack of empathy a hallmark of ASD? Maybe that's not the right word, but like not being able to put yourself in another shoes, or a decreased ability to do that relative to the baseline?

https://twitter.com/chucklindell/status/1121436656849117185

It's impossible to know if this is legit or not but this wouldn't be unheard of in the valley.

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1121438737056051200
:geno:

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 25, 2019

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

zoux posted:

Isn't lack of empathy a hallmark of ASD? Maybe that's not the right word, but like not being able to put yourself in another shoes, or a decreased ability to do that relative to the baseline?

Actually yeah, which now that you mention it is making it somewhat difficult to reconcile my distaste for him. I mean, I still think he's a lovely person because of what he does in the legislature. And while I'm not willing to let him use Asperger's/ASD as some sort of shield that immunizes him from responsibility, it does put it in a different light. Seems like if you realize that you functionally can't relate to others well that maybe perhaps you shouldn't say "I should represent others and their interests"??

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
It might shed a little bit of light onto how he became such a piece of poo poo but it’s not a full explanation and not an excuse in the slightest.

gently caress that little dweeb.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No Safe Word posted:

Actually yeah, which now that you mention it is making it somewhat difficult to reconcile my distaste for him. I mean, I still think he's a lovely person because of what he does in the legislature. And while I'm not willing to let him use Asperger's/ASD as some sort of shield that immunizes him from responsibility, it does put it in a different light. Seems like if you realize that you functionally can't relate to others well that maybe perhaps you shouldn't say "I should represent others and their interests"??

Yeah I don't want to categorically exclude a group of people with a specific condition from public service but ideally empathy and compassion would be the top two traits I'd want in a politician. Of course there are oceans of neurotypical people in politics that lack both, not to mention the clinical sociopaths who tend to do very well in politics, so I don't think it's something to consider.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Oops.

https://twitter.com/akaDooley/status/1121440150876110848

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
HB 63 is coming up for a vote this afternoon it looks like. Moody amended the bill last night to change <1 oz of weed from a civil penalty to a Class C misdemeanor (which is a max fine of $500). It does also make it a mandatory deferred disposition, rather than a conviction, as long as there was not another <1 oz offense in the preceding 12 months. Upon completion of the deferred disposition and dismissal of the charge the court shall expunge the charge. Officers can't arrest for <1 oz of weed or drug paraphernalia.

Guess the votes weren't there for the civil penalty. Hopefully the amendment will be enough to get it through, as that is all still pretty good stuff, if not perfect.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Governor will veto? Thought Dan Patrick was against as well?

Either way it's better than nothing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ehhhh maybe. Patrick is agin' it for sure, I think I recall Abbott being ok with some level of decrim. But the writings on the wall as far as marijuana decriminalization goes, I think that even the most conservative state leaders realize where it's headed.

The next major budget shortfall we have, I'd expect to see some legalization bills seriously looked at. Well, hope to see at least.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

No Safe Word posted:

It explains somewhat the manner in which he expresses himself, it doesn't explain him being a total piece of poo poo.

Everytime Cain gets mentioned I am compelled to say I hosed his wife in college and she is so batshit I can't even begin to imagine what type of person would marry, let alone have kids with her.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Some sawed off dime store Ben Shapiro if I had to guess

e: Bergundi????

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

D-Pad posted:

Everytime Cain gets mentioned I am compelled to say I hosed his wife in college and she is so batshit I can't even begin to imagine what type of person would marry, let alone have kids with her.

This is weird and sorta misogynistic.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Captain Monkey posted:

This is weird and sorta misogynistic.

I'll concede that posting it on a forum is probably weird but if you think having a negative opinion of a woman that I personally know and have experience with means I hate her because she is a woman I don't know what to tell you?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

rip jana duty :tinfoil:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/AutulloAAS/status/1121534806892916736

Lmao

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1121558252922310656

Uh Oh

zoux fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 26, 2019

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I'm getting a ton of ads for the San Antonio mayoral election, and the Republican ones are pure comedy. I'll try and screenshot one the next time I see it.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/chucklindell/status/1121436656849117185

It's impossible to know if this is legit or not but this wouldn't be unheard of in the valley.

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1121438737056051200
:geno:

It was just a matter of time before they arrested Molina. Most of his cronies were picked up related to this over the past few months, so they wouldn't have arrested him and his wife unless they had something solid. Ahhh, Valley politics.

(The dude is a shitbird, though.)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BenLemanTX/status/1121513641822564352

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/chucklindell/status/1121499980123054080

can't wait for Ken Paxton's first lawsuit against twitter after Diamond and Silk say they lost followers

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Badger of Basra posted:

can't wait for Ken Paxton's first lawsuit against twitter after Diamond and Silk say they lost followers

Whatever happened to the GOP that was anti regulating business?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

This is all because some legislator posted one of those "Like if you agree babies are babies and abortion is wrong" memes on facebook and it got mistakenly flagged by the algorithm and so as always they've thrown a wall-eyed fit and passed this bill the exact same week that the CEO of Twitter met with the president to hear his concerns about losing followers after waves of bot bans. If anything, social media is overwhelmingly pro-conservative.

Another case they cite is that the official twitter account for that abortion movie got mistakenly taken down because of deep web anti right conspiracies

quote:

According to Twitter, Unplanned was not suspended on purpose, but rather was linked to another account that had violated Twitter's rules. When one account violates those rules, the system then cracks down on linked accounts to mitigate the risk that the original banned account would simply move accounts. After reviewing this case a second time, Twitter decided the Unplanned account should not be affected by the other's suspension and restored it.

“It is a sad time we live in when corporations can remove individuals freedom of speech at will. When did we empower these corporations to have such authority? More importantly, why do we empower them to do so?” Cary Solomon, co-writer and co-director of the film, said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter.

Added co-director and co-writer Chuck Konzelman: "It’s a sad state of affairs when the right to free speech gets shut down with the flick of a switch. The Twitter account for our film, Unplanned, was suspended this morning — without explanation. Whether this was an executive decision by Twitter, or a reaction by Twitter to complaints from those opposed to the pro-life viewpoint, either reason is unacceptable. Fortunately, the uproar in our defense was loud and fast in coming: Our account has since been reinstated. Thanks to all who have rallied to our defense.”

Cool account folks. :thumbsup:

I have a buddy who works at a theater, one of those dinner-and-movie deals, and they had a group reserve an entire theater to screen this movie so he had to see a fair bit of it. It's based on this former PP secretary who says she was pro-choice but after seeing how the "abortion industry" really works, she's now insanely pro-life. He told me about this scene where some doctor has to pull this secretary to aid them in a procedure because they had to hold this woman down because she changed her mind at the last minute but, by God, this abortion was going to happen. So the secretary was tasked with holding the sonogram wand while the doc did the abortion and afterwards it was still alive!!! but they let it die because they can sell fetal tissue by the ounce and it's all about that blood money!

What pro-life people think abortion services are like would be hilarious if it wasn't also behind the major reason that Republicans continue hold power. I'd say there are probably more pro-life single issue voters than any other issue voters and if you took the middle aged women who have exactly one political opinion and that's that abortion is wrong because it murders babies out of the GOP voting bloc, they'd be a regional sideshow party.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 26, 2019

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Spacebump posted:

Whatever happened to the GOP that was anti regulating business?

It stopped being convenient to their interests, their morality is based on convenience not any real moral compass

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Conservative leadership is and always has been, and this is true in every time period, primarily concerned with maintaining the power and wealth of the ruling class, and whatever helps further that, they're for. They have no permanent moral standards.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/dallasnews/status/1121858300646182913

e: https://www.sos.state.tx.us/about/newsreleases/2019/042619.shtml

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1121831330759815168?s=20

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lmao what a poo poo show this was. I'm so used to Democrats doing it it's great to see the geniuses at the state GOP gently caress up something that bad.

e: lol check out who's not mad, but rather glad about it

quote:

"I want to thank the Texas Legislature, county election officials from across the state, and the parties in this litigation for working with our office to develop a sustainable non-citizen list maintenance process. From the beginning, this process was designed to be collaborative, and today's agreement reflects a constructive collaboration among all stakeholders. It is of paramount importance that Texas voters can have confidence in the integrity, accuracy, and efficiency of the electoral system in which they participate. Today's agreement accomplishes our office's goal of maintaining an accurate list of qualified registered voters while eliminating the impact of any list maintenance activity on naturalized U.S. citizens. I will continue to work with all stakeholders in the election community to ensure this process is conducted in a manner that holds my office accountable and protects the voting rights of eligible Texans."

Getting repeatedly humiliated in hearings and in court was good to me, actually, that's not bloodm in my mouth it's victory wine

"Molina's party affiliation was not immediately clear. Edinburg's mayoral election is non-partisan."

Oh I think it's pretty clear. Maybe the reason that the GOP is so sure there's a massive electoral fraud problem in the country is because they're constantly doing it.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 26, 2019

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

Lmao what a poo poo show this was. I'm so used to Democrats doing it it's great to see the geniuses at the state GOP gently caress up something that bad.

e: lol check out who's not mad, but rather glad about it

Getting repeatedly humiliated in hearings and in court was good to me, actually, that's not bloodm in my mouth it's victory wine

"Molina's party affiliation was not immediately clear. Edinburg's mayoral election is non-partisan."

Oh I think it's pretty clear. Maybe the reason that the GOP is so sure there's a massive electoral fraud problem in the country is because they're constantly doing it.

Even in the Valley, Dems and Repulicans do small town corrupt shady poo poo all the time. It bypasses party lines and becomes the older thing of keeping a family or families in power. You see it all the time down here. It's nothing new, I'm just glad that it's being shown on a national level.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jiro posted:

Even in the Valley, Dems and Repulicans do small town corrupt shady poo poo all the time. It bypasses party lines and becomes the older thing of keeping a family or families in power. You see it all the time down here. It's nothing new, I'm just glad that it's being shown on a national level.

For sure but if it had been Richard Garcia that got indicted I'm sure old Dan and Paxton and Abbott would be blowing up my TL with hot voter fraud takes

lol check out this HCR that the sole female Freedom Caucus member and literal old church lady Valoree Swanson passed through Public Health

She's so conservative she primaried Debbie loving Riddle from the right

quote:

In the 84th Texas Legislature in 2015, Representative Riddle authored House Bill 1748, which would have jailed or fined transgender persons for using public restrooms (and other public facilities) that did not fit their birth chromosomes. The bill read as:

"For the purpose of this section, the gender of an individual is the gender established at the individual's birth or the gender established by the individual's chromosomes. A male is an individual with at least one X chromosome and at least one Y chromosome, and a female is an individual with at least one X chromosome and no Y chromosomes. If the individual's gender established at the individual's birth is not the same as the individual's gender established by the individual's chromosomes, the individual's gender established by the individual's chromosomes controls under this section." [1]

The bill also would have fined or jailed business owners for allowing the usage of restrooms that did not match the transgender person's birth chromosomes. The bill died quickly at the beginning of the legislative session.

What a RINO

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 26, 2019

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Saw a "Beto for Senate" bumper sticker today. In Las Vegas, on a car with Nevada plates.

zoux posted:

It's based on this former PP secretary who says she was pro-choice but after seeing how the "abortion industry" really works, she's now insanely pro-life.

Reminder that the story in Unplanned is literally made up.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Valoree Swanson is my hometown rep. She managed to primary riddle based on Sharia law in Texas

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.statesman.com/news/20190426/joaquin-castro-looking-like-also-ran-for-us-senate

who

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

zoux posted:

I have a buddy who works at a theater, one of those dinner-and-movie deals, and they had a group reserve an entire theater to screen this movie so he had to see a fair bit of it. It's based on this former PP secretary who says she was pro-choice but after seeing how the "abortion industry" really works, she's now insanely pro-life. He told me about this scene where some doctor has to pull this secretary to aid them in a procedure because they had to hold this woman down because she changed her mind at the last minute but, by God, this abortion was going to happen. So the secretary was tasked with holding the sonogram wand while the doc did the abortion and afterwards it was still alive!!! but they let it die because they can sell fetal tissue by the ounce and it's all about that blood money!

A caught a bit of one of the people behind Unplanned giving an interview on one of the talk radio stations in the Austin area. I rolled my eyes pretty hard when the host asked why it was rated R. He dodged that question and said it was rated R for political reasons. Big Hollywood, etc.

Now I worked in the film industry for a while. I'll say this. It got rated R because of language (Cue that Twitter post with "HECKBOY" next to Unplanned at a southern movie theatre) and that they showed an animated abortion from the point of view of a ultrasound monitor with dismemberment, if I recall correctly from the rating.

I worked on enough gore VFX on a few films only to see it get cut out right before delivery because the studio wanted a PG-13 version [more money] vs an R version. If the MPAA gives you an R version you can absolutely resubmit a different edit to address it and get it bumped to a different rating. In fact studios/filmmakers plan for this and do multiple cuts in advance. That's industry norm. Sometimes you put in really obvious stuff for the MPAA to pick out so that other stuff may slide by. That's normal. That's been the case for a long time. No one is making a crazy exception for Unplanned.

So the short version is.. "Abortion doesn't sell popcorn and soda".

Long version is this.. big Hollywood doesn't decide how many screens a film gets. The regional theater chains do, the local distributors, that's why you have the big studios doing sales pitches of upcoming films to Showest/CinemaCon/Nato/etc. Your local theater chains work out deals on how many screens films get. On that note the guys behind Unplanned wanted it in 4000 screens, that's not how it works and shows how idiotic they are.

If they actually understood the system they could have had a PG version on tap minus whatever stupid shock value they wanted in there for wider distribution, but in the end what is the local CinenaPlex going to do?

Stuff all their screens with as many Avengers showings as possible. gently caress documentarys.

These Unplanned clowns would have gotten more screens if they were smart about it and released it in Feburary and not try to ram one cut through and enter a crowded boxoffice market. Amateurs.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 27, 2019