Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Tainen posted:

Todd Anderson was playing Boros Feather on the preview stream and it seemed real fun so you might want to start here.

Nice!
I hope Feather takes off, since that was one of the things I ended up preordering this set.

My preorders from last week or so were:
4x Karn, the Great Creator (War of the Spark) - R - English - NM 8,99 EUR
4x Fblthp, the Lost (War of the Spark) - R - English - NM 0,99 EUR
4x Feather, the Redeemed (War of the Spark) - R - English - NM 2,49 EUR
4x Blast Zone (War of the Spark) - R - English - NM 4,49 EUR

I want to build Karn + Lattice jank in modern, and probably Boros Feather in standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Marketing New Brain posted:

The cheap resilient sac outlet is still missing, which would be enough for me to get over Cry of Carnarium being game over. As is you have to just dump your hand and hope they don't have it, which isn't where I want to be in constructed. Either of those things change and I'm instantly jamming it though.

Honestly it doesn't really have the ability to just fart out a board that's threatening lethal on t4 the way mono white is, it isn't much good against opposing aggro, and it's a much more disruptable engine than vivien/krassis with explore dudes.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Tainen posted:

Todd Anderson was playing Boros Feather on the preview stream and it seemed real fun so you might want to start here.

Had been planning on Burning Prophets instead of Steamkin and Saheeli instead of Spellgorger, but otherwise pretty much what's in my notepad.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Silhouette posted:

you're not my Hanna

They were fun stereotypes though, unlike "telepath who is super good at everything and everyone loves him and even when he fucks up, he's right", "fire mage who is angry and impulsive", "basically he-man", "selfish, vain necromancer" and "elf who really loves nature"

Ajani is cool though.

Such fun stereotypes as the reluctant chosen one, the geeky girlfriend, the pacifist big guy and the wacky mascot character.

It's the same tropey bullshit, it just happens to be filtered through a lens of nostalgia.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Owen’s been removed from the MPL

https://twitter.com/magicesports/status/1121413556833067008?s=21

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The lack of anyone saying anything is really surprising. I assume a lawsuit is in the works.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Sickening posted:

The lack of anyone saying anything is really surprising. I assume a lawsuit is in the works.

Maybe not a lawsuit but i assume its a bit more complex when they are an employee than if it’s just some random PT pro. Will be interesting to see if he is still playing this weekend.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tainen posted:

Maybe not a lawsuit but i assume its a bit more complex when they are an employee than if it’s just some random PT pro. Will be interesting to see if he is still playing this weekend.

If he wasn't at the Arena thing why would he be at the pt?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sickening posted:

An assumption based on what? There's no obligation to add "and oh yeah Owen is out", it's just easier to let it remain unsaid and quietly remove him from the MPL. If the MPL contracts didn't have the option for Wizards to rescind the agreement at their discretion I'd be incredibly shocked.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Rinkles posted:

If he wasn't at the Arena thing why would he be at the pt?

His invite to the invitational was tied to him being in the MPL. He is in the hall of fame so he is automatically qualified for all the MCs unless they also revoke that or he gets a DCI ban.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sickening posted:

It's the opposite: saying nothing is a good way to avoid a lawsuit. If WOTC drops him because he's a sexpest he might sue them for defamation and WOTC would prefer that not happen because defending against a lawsuit costs money even if you win. If they just drop him with no explanation whatsoever he doesn't have any grounds to sue them.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Cactrot posted:

An assumption based on what? There's no obligation to add "and oh yeah Owen is out", it's just easier to let it remain unsaid and quietly remove him from the MPL. If the MPL contracts didn't have the option for Wizards to rescind the agreement at their discretion I'd be incredibly shocked.

He has scrubbed his entire social media presence, just the content, not the accounts. He hasn't made any statements. Neither has his employer. This kind of self control is more common when a lawyer is involved.

Anybody who has had known someone going through a divorce, this is exactly what happens when someone has a good lawyer.

evilweasel posted:

It's the opposite: saying nothing is a good way to avoid a lawsuit. If WOTC drops him because he's a sexpest he might sue them for defamation and WOTC would prefer that not happen because defending against a lawsuit costs money even if you win. If they just drop him with no explanation whatsoever he doesn't have any grounds to sue them.

This is the good old USA, there is always grounds until the courts say there isn't.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

evilweasel posted:

The assumption is that because no one is saying anything, there's a lawsuit being filed of some sort. Because the first thing any lawyer ever will tell you is "shut your goddamned mouth about this". Whereas a company without a lawsuit pending might be more willing to share some details to inquiring minds.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Yawgmoth posted:

The assumption is that because no one is saying anything, there's a lawsuit being filed of some sort. Because the first thing any lawyer ever will tell you is "shut your goddamned mouth about this". Whereas a company without a lawsuit pending might be more willing to share some details to inquiring minds.

hasbro has a legal department that certainly covers wotc. they've got lawyers at all times. they don't just call one up when they get a lawsuit. that legal department has, as one of its primary jobs, avoiding getting sued in the first place and would have told them ahead of time what to do. what to do, in this case, is say nothing: saying anything has no benefit and a tangible, monetary downside. any large company has a legal department full of wet blankets trying to stop you from doing things that will create legal risks.

the idea that owen is acting oddly restrained means that he hired a lawyer to sue someone is a reasonable inference. it's not reasonable for wotc because they always have a lawyer, they won't just lawyer up when an issue pops up.

Sickening posted:

This is the good old USA, there is always grounds until the courts say there isn't.

that isn't true, and even if it was true there's a big difference in cost for getting a lawsuit thrown out on the grounds there's no claim to sue hasbro on, and getting a lawsuit thrown out that requires factual issues to be litigated (is he or is he not actually a sexpest). the latter is way more expensive. if he sues them for breach of contract or whatever, you can get that poo poo thrown out in no time. if he sues them for defamation because they said "we're dumping him because he's been accused of being a sexpest" that takes a lot of time and effort (meaning, a lot of money) to get thrown out.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 25, 2019

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

evilweasel posted:

hasbro has a legal department that certainly covers wotc. they've got lawyers at all times. they don't just call one up when they get a lawsuit. that legal department has, as one of its primary jobs, avoiding getting sued in the first place and would have told them ahead of time what to do. what to do, in this case, is say nothing: saying anything has no benefit and a tangible, monetary downside. any large company has a legal department full of wet blankets trying to stop you from doing things that will create legal risks.

the idea that owen is acting oddly restrained means that he hired a lawyer to sue someone is a reasonable inference. it's not reasonable for wotc because they always have a lawyer, they won't just lawyer up when an issue pops up.

that isn't true, and even if it was true there's a big difference in cost for getting a lawsuit thrown out on the grounds there's no claim to sue hasbro on, and getting a lawsuit thrown out that requires factual issues to be litigated (is he or is he not actually a sexpest). the latter is way more expensive. if he sues them for breach of contract or whatever, you can get that poo poo thrown out in no time. if he sues them for defamation because they said "we're dumping him because he's been accused of being a sexpest" that takes a lot of time and effort (meaning, a lot of money) to get thrown out.

Who said he is or is only suing hasbro? There is a lot of unknowns here. You seem to be speaking pretty confidently about things with too little info.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

incidentally, even if owen has lawyered up, it probably is not to sue someone (at least, that's not the primary goal). the goal is probably to squelch anyone before they speak out and to keep everyone else quiet by threatening a lawsuit if they speak up, so that in a year everyone has forgotten about it and there's not anything easy to find on the subject unless you already know what you're looking for and start digging deep - certainly, nothing that comes up when you just search his name.

suing someone creates a very public record of what has happened and probably drives media stories, and he's not gonna recover any serious amount of money from anyone except wotc (which is why WOTC is going to be very careful to avoid giving him any grounds to sue them), so even if he were to eventually win a lawsuit in two years he'd firmly establish himself as a sexpest on google and torpedo any ability to try to bury it forever.

Sickening posted:

Who said he is or is only suing hasbro? There is a lot of unknowns here. You seem to be speaking pretty confidently about things with too little info.

i'm a litigator so uh yes, i'm extremely confident in my ability to analyze the legal issues here and what people are doing behind the scenes.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sickening posted:

You seem to be speaking pretty confidently about things with too little info.

Pot, kettle, etc.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

evilweasel posted:

i'm a litigator so uh yes, i'm extremely confident in my ability to analyze the legal issues here and what people are doing behind the scenes.

Share your crystal ball with me when you get a chance. Thanks

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Sickening posted:

Share your crystal ball with me when you get a chance. Thanks

“Oops I got owned, he’s really a lawyer. Maybe Nobody will notice!”

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Love when people insist on arguing with evilweasel about law stuff, reminds me of when he still posted in USPOL

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I assumed he was doing sensible things because he had a Hasbro lawyer telling him what to do.

That may change now.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Crackbone posted:

“Oops I got owned, he’s really a lawyer. Maybe Nobody will notice!”

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561?lang=en

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

hiring a lawyer when this kind of thing happens is just generally a good idea. if you decide to sue someone and then hire an attorney you hosed up and did it in the wrong order

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

hiring a lawyer when this kind of thing happens is just generally a good idea. if you decide to sue someone and then hire an attorney you hosed up and did it in the wrong order
I'm gonna sue someone and represent myself in court

I am very smart

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
WAR is up on Arena now. PlayWarSpark is the code for three free boosters

Patch notes
https://forums.mtgarena.com/forums/threads/55091

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tainen posted:

WAR is up on Arena now. PlayWarSpark is the code for three free boosters

Patch notes
https://forums.mtgarena.com/forums/threads/55091

what's this about :

quote:

The following cards are now banned in Ravnica Constructed:
Gates Ablaze
The following cards are now banned in Cascade Constructed:
Lavinia, Azorius Renegade
Nexus of Fate
Teferi, Time Raveler

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

evilweasel posted:

what's this about :

Those are just the weird formats they run every few weekends. Ravnica constructed restricts cards to only RNA and GRN and maybe WAR now. Cascade is a mode that gives every spell you cast cascade.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Any twitch prime users redeem the Boros deck? What's the list look like?

E: oh it doesn't go live until 2pm est

Vaah fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 25, 2019

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

From the outside, I agree with Hoogland's stance on Aristocrats. The deck will fall over itself for mana issues because it is a low curve/land deck with intense, specific color requirements. Like, you want to be able to hit BW, BR, and BR1, and BW2 all regularly with like 22/23 lands. Midrange/control decks have the time to hit the colors they need; this deck does not. Add also the lack of good sac outlets and Cry being played, and yeah I wouldn't set out to build the deck at all. If I were going to do anything, I would look at just a BR build that focused more on the aggro aspect than the sac aspect.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

quote:

We've added a new, fully optional way for AutoTap to help you pay for spells and abilities. Any time that you need to pay mana and AutoTap isn't handling it automatically (Convoking, sacrificing a treasure token, because you have AutoTap turned off, etc), there is now a new button for you to tell AutoTap to pay the cost for you.

Hovering over this button will show what AutoTap will use, including any creatures tapped, treasure sacrificed, etc. Clicking the button will pay the cost, including doing things like sacrificing treasure (that AutoTap won't usually do)
Halelujah.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

sit on my Facebook posted:

Love when people insist on arguing with evilweasel about law stuff, reminds me of when he still posted in USPOL

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I made a Rakdos Aristocrats deck for funsies in RNA standard but yeah instant speed removal on your Priest or board wipes are just so punishing

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

evilweasel posted:

what's this about :

those are special games modes

ravnica constructed was only GRN and RNA and by the end a gates deck was like the only viable one so it's purely a deck variety thing

for cascade, both Lavinia and WAR Teferi turn off cascade for your opponent and nexus is nexus

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Kurieg posted:

Halelujah.

This still doesn't let you tap all your lands for mana for decks like Temur Rec though, right?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Hopefully it's smart enough that if reclamation is on the stack you can press the button and it just taps all your lands.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I wonder if they fixed the autotapper lying to you like when I'd cast New Horizons to put a +1/+1 token on my Incubation Druid, but whoops, let's tap the druid instead of the land because surely you'd rather that land untapped.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Kurieg posted:

Halelujah.

This is good but won't address the actual flaws in the autotapper, like how worthless it is with unclaimed territory. I'm gruul, my job is to summon big hasty mans and smush them into opponent face, not spend three clicks to tap one land so that I have a mountain left to lighting strike with.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Magic Underwear posted:

This is good but won't address the actual flaws in the autotapper, like how worthless it is with unclaimed territory. I'm gruul, my job is to summon big hasty mans and smush them into opponent face, not spend three clicks to tap one land so that I have a mountain left to lighting strike with.

quote:

Auto-Tap should now be smarter when dealing with sources that can tap for colorless and have another mana ability
AutoTap should now be smarter when calculating what actions it should leave mana available for (e.g. Azcanta, the Sunken Ruin)
AutoTap should now be smarter when tapping sources that produce mana with a spending restriction (e.g. Unclaimed Territory, Interplanar Beacon)

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Shadow225 posted:

From the outside, I agree with Hoogland's stance on Aristocrats. The deck will fall over itself for mana issues because it is a low curve/land deck with intense, specific color requirements. Like, you want to be able to hit BW, BR, and BR1, and BW2 all regularly with like 22/23 lands. Midrange/control decks have the time to hit the colors they need; this deck does not. Add also the lack of good sac outlets and Cry being played, and yeah I wouldn't set out to build the deck at all. If I were going to do anything, I would look at just a BR build that focused more on the aggro aspect than the sac aspect.

in my mind the deck should probably sacrifice some power in one of its 2 drops to play the 1B vampire visionary. but that's mostly just a random ide tossed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Magic Underwear posted:

AutoTap should now be smarter when tapping sources that produce mana with a spending restriction (e.g. Unclaimed Territory, Interplanar Beacon)