Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

That was the Simone run, pre new 52 right? I remember liking that one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Vincent posted:

That was the Simone run, pre new 52 right? I remember liking that one!

She writes fun stories.

https://twitter.com/GailSimone/status/1121003304341741569

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
My favorite teams are the barely competent C-listers who somehow manage to not kill themselves while accomplishing their missions

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Darthemed posted:

Dr. Graves #74 (1985)

"I really don't know what I was expecting."

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Darthemed posted:

Secret Six #35 (2011)

I suspect there's a "Suck my dick I'm a shaaaaarrrk" edit for this

Darthemed posted:

Lady Shiva in the green.

Secret Six #14 (2016)

This is delightful :allears:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Quick request, I remember seeing a panel posted online where a bunch of the X-Men and their supporting cast are sitting around a conference table, and one of them says, "Raise your hand if you've never had a period in your life that others would describe as 'mostly supervillian.'" Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Dead Reckoning posted:

Quick request, I remember seeing a panel posted online where a bunch of the X-Men and their supporting cast are sitting around a conference table, and one of them says, "Raise your hand if you've never had a period in your life that others would describe as 'mostly supervillian.'" Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Definitely saw it in one of these threads before:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That conference table looks really drat annoying to sit down at. Especially if you get Emma's seat.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Thanks.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I generally assume that any prominent long running superhero will at some point have their supervillain phase, but are they referencing a specific event in Scott's history? I just remember hearing that he was an rear end in a top hat a lot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Keeshhound posted:

I generally assume that any prominent long running superhero will at some point have their supervillain phase, but are they referencing a specific event in Scott's history? I just remember hearing that he was an rear end in a top hat a lot.

He was merged with Apocalypse for a while.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

He had that whole deal with the Phoenix Force too, which while I didn't read it doesn't sound like it could possibly end up with him not being villainous to some extent.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Zaodai posted:

He had that whole deal with the Phoenix Force too, which while I didn't read it doesn't sound like it could possibly end up with him not being villainous to some extent.

Pretty sure the above panel is prior to that.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kalli posted:

Definitely saw it in one of these threads before:

Jean there has gotta be timeshifted teenager Jean, right?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Phy posted:

Jean there has gotta be timeshifted teenager Jean, right?

Pretty sure it's Hope.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hope, Namor, bald, Cyttorak-possessed Piotr. So that's Utopia era.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Kinda unfair to ask that when Magneto and FetishRobot started as villains in the first place.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

MikeJF posted:

That conference table looks really drat annoying to sit down at. Especially if you get Emma's seat.

It's probably mechanical and assembles itself from seats that were all over the room at the start.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Samuringa posted:

Kinda unfair to ask that when Magneto and FetishRobot started as villains in the first place.

Namor, too. His and Magneto's body language seems to say "Dick question, Ororo" while FetishRobot couldn't give less of a poo poo.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Many Ghosts of Dr. Graves #4 (1967)

The Many Ghosts of Dr. Graves #5 (1968)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Grendels Dad posted:

Namor, too. His and Magneto's body language seems to say "Dick question, Ororo" while FetishRobot couldn't give less of a poo poo.

Namor started out as a superhero in the golden age, predating Aquaman. He wasn't a villain until about 30 years after his creation.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

This is definitely the summary of a superhero's first appearance

quote:

'The Sub-Mariner' - (Everett) Divers from a salvage ship encounter a strange man swimming around a derelict on the sea floor. When they chase after him he attacks and kills them then destroys the ship itself, killing everyone on board. He proceeds with the bodies of the divers to a secluded grotto where he presents them to a female sub-mariner named Domma. We learn that his name is Namor and Domma is his mother. She plans to keep the bodies of the divers as trophies in their war against the surface people. Then she sends Namor back to the surface on a mission of revenge!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
He was an anti-hero at best.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Namor started out as a superhero in the golden age, predating Aquaman. He wasn't a villain until about 30 years after his creation.

No, he was a total villain originally, but within a couple years, he started fighting Nazis, which can't help but make someone look good.

edit for pics:

-----

-----

-Marvel Mystery Comics #2

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 26, 2019

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Keeshhound posted:

That was during a period of time when Scott was deciding that Xavier's dream was a bunch of idealistic nonsense and Mutants needed their own fortified island nation. Which was a little too close to Magneto's way of thinking for Storm there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nipponophile posted:

No, he was a total villain originally, but within a couple years, he started fighting Nazis, which can't help but make someone look good.

edit for pics:

-----

-----

I dunno it seems like the same poo poo Stardust does.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

A key difference is that he didn't melt the medical staff into a single person.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bill Everett posted:

wage a war of espionage against the white man

Seems like a decent chap to me

But seriously the one thing I knew about the original Human Torch, besides him being an android, is that he was in the first super"hero" crossover battle, against Namor, who wanted to swamp New York with a tidal wave

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Namor's eyebrows are on point.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Nipponophile posted:

Namor went through a lot of wives before he figured that out.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Nipponophile posted:

So he's the Stalin of superheroes?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Push El Burrito posted:

Namor's eyebrows are on point.

Fleek. The word you’re looking for is fleek.

LouisF
Mar 16, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nipponophile posted:

edit for pics:

-----

-----

Thank you. Namor is my favorite. I'm saddened that he doesnt show up more often.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer

He robbed Emmett Kelly!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

LouisF posted:

Thank you. Namor is my favorite. I'm saddened that he doesnt show up more often.

Golden age Namor can be pretty wild. But since he was an ocean guy and the naval war was against the Japanese, the racism levels go pretty high:

(The preceding panel is even weirder but it has a slur so I'm not going to post it in the funny panel thread.)

Definitely read his stories from the initial Marvel Mystery Comics up until he's convinced that the actions of the US were an accident and he shouldn't murder everyone in New York over it. Then skip ahead to the second, even more amazing than the first Sub-Mariner/Human Torch fight.

One thing you learn reading those Namor/Torch comics is that Namor has thrown more people off of the George Washington Bridge than Norman Osborn.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

“I don’t believe in signs” is my new favorite excuse

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

hup posted:

“I don’t believe in signs” is my new favorite excuse
https://twitter.com/dril/status/181225396694560769?lang=en

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Artsygrrl posted:

He robbed Emmett Kelly!

I met Emmett Kelly Jr. once. True story, zero relevance to thread.

E: woop, better post a funny panel:

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 27, 2019

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Namor is perfectly summed up by his most famous appearance in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Spider-Man's deadliest foe returns from the grave: