Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
This may be a really dumb question, but I'm curious if this game has some significant mechanic or acknowledgement of the importance of the Dardanelles? I've kept reading and hearing about how absolutely vital and important that area was in ancient Greek/Mesopotamian history. I've never found it all that interesting in any of the other Pdox games (unless I'm playing as the Ottos or something close by in EU4).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Taear posted:

I'm not really after a pre-load, I just worry that I won't get it.

GMG are pretty good, I really wouldn't worry.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Somebody has already modded in Atlantis on the release day stream.

Did they mod in Age of Mythology music?

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Pharnakes posted:

GMG are pretty good, I really wouldn't worry.

I love buying things for brexitcoins :brexit: . That and pre-order sales makes for cheap games.

In fact I'm not hype for IR at all and probably wouldn't have gotten it but GMG is practically giving it away so.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm not too hype because I want the game to go a little further date wise but I enjoy Antiquity and the streams have made the game look a LOT more interesting than I expected.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
gently caress it, I bought it. The GMG discount sealed the deal. I just can't resist games based on this particular historical setting. When it comes to Paradox games I'm much more CK2 and less EU4 but this looks like a promising mishmash of the two. More on the EU4 side of things though, but the fleshed out trade and combat mechanics have my attention.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 25, 2019

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Taear posted:

I'm not too hype because I want the game to go a little further date wise but I enjoy Antiquity and the streams have made the game look a LOT more interesting than I expected.

There is a very real chance they expand the timeframe later on

THS
Sep 15, 2017

yeah if you don’t like the timeframe, boy oh boy will there be some DLC for you

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

ELO Musk posted:

There is a very real chance they expand the timeframe later on

Yea I know. And I hope they expand the map into Russia, China and maybe some Africa too.

I wish they'd give me my key already.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Everybody on this thread is a giant loving nerd.

I see this is your first time in a Paradox thread.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Just got my GMG key

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Who is starting Crete 2 thread?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Horsebanger posted:

Well, to whoever is considering starting an Imperator LP it might be best to give it a bit of time and maybe wait for the first DLC or something before jumping into doing anything as ambitious as a legislative LP. At least in my opinion.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Is there ever any thought or endeavor related to a Paradox game that isn't met with a "hmm hold off for now, best to wait for a patch/DLC" response?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Hey guys do you think I should play this game after work today or should wait for the first DLC?

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

I'm gonna play as Rome straight out of the box. Game's gonna be good. It'll be better later, too!

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Horsebanger posted:

maybe that's the secret project wiz is working on

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Game is live.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

It's unlocked, restart your steams

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Well, let's see how long this takes.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Hey guys do you think I should play this game after work today or should wait for the first DLC?

Dude I literally installed a remote desktop at home so I could install it today at work to save me 5 minutes. I am HYPE

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Mercifully Cox has decided to give me the speed I actually pay for so I'll be launching this bad boy in about a minute so I can finally play for a few hours and shelve it until some patches/DLCs. (Hopefully not)

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

8 minutes, huh. Let's see if it gets stuck at unpacking or allocating or whatever it is.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

bug report: could, in fact, build rome in a day.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The most damning review that I heard so far: "It reminds me of Stellaris 1.0"

Oof.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

No ledger? :argh:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Drone posted:

Oof.

That's no good.

We'll see.

canepazzo posted:

No ledger? :argh:

What?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Drone posted:

Oof.

Ack!!!

Say it ain't so.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
halfway through downloading, stupid aussie internet

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Cant get past the EULA boss.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
What is this connect to paradox nonsense before I can literally click the multiplayer?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Pooned posted:

What is this connect to paradox nonsense before I can literally click the multiplayer?

I think it wants you to connect to Paradox before you play multiplayer.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Chomp8645 posted:

Ack!!!

Say it ain't so.

The reviews I’ve read so far basically say the opposite, assuming they’re talking about how generally minimal Stellaris was at launch. Even people like TJ Hafer, who’ve played thousands of hours of EU4 and CK2, seem to think it’s pretty intricate and demanding.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
My account was connected, it said so in the top right. Still greyed out multiplayer :o

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
It's me I'm the guy who's reading event files instead of opening the game. The Pyrrhus events are pretty cool and show what you can do with the new event system!

The events are semi complex but basically break down as follows, simulating some historical events. They're all extremely dynamic and a massive improvement on similar event chains from EU4:

Pyrrhus gets deposed and replaced as king temporarily during which time he tries to find a fellow ruler's court to live in, this can be a diadochi or some other random guy. He gains traits while this happens and eventually returns to Epirus and becomes king again. There's a ton of variance here based on how successful he is in various different ways and if you want you can ignore the whole thing by taking a stability hit and getting a lovely modifier for 10 years.

Pyrrhus makes nice with Lysimachus. Or not.

Pyrrhus intervenes in Italy to protect Greek city states, this gives a ton of claims on Rome and improves relations with Greek minors.

Pyrrhus marries daughter of Agathocles which improves relations and leads to claims on Carthage under appropriate circumstances.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 25, 2019

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Anno posted:

The reviews I’ve read so far basically say the opposite, assuming they’re talking about how generally minimal Stellaris was at launch. Even people like TJ Hafer, who’ve played thousands of hours of EU4 and CK2, seem to think it’s pretty intricate and demanding.

imo the main problem with launch Stellaris is that it was bad and dumb in general. Also this applies to post-launch Stellaris and probably all other Stellaris time frames.

This game doesn't look bad or dumb, in fact it appears to be good. So I'd say it definitely has a leg up.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Anno posted:

As someome who played stellaris early on, even just watching youtube videos shows that there is more depth here than early stellaris.

The internal politics and diplomacy alone are already more developed.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

WASD for scrolling, W is not diplomatic map mode, in a break from most (all?) Paradox games. Also the pause/restart has the most ungodly loud sound.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

imo the main problem with launch Stellaris is that it was bad and dumb in general. Also this applies to post-launch Stellaris and probably all other Stellaris time frames.

This game doesn't look bad or dumb, in fact it appears to be good. So I'd say it definitely has a leg up.

Stellaris was very much a concept. It's done well to become at least stable enough now to get enjoyment out of it, and its probably the most easy to get into modern space 4x game. The only other one that is better is Distant Worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
They added some formables compared to the dev diary which discussed them. There's an Indo-Greek Kingdom formable!