Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

geegee
Aug 6, 2005

Monkey Fracas posted:

that like PT Barnum quote about never underestimating the taste of the American public

HL Mencken. Barnum's quote was regarding suckers. Either fit this context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Goober Peas posted:

Every Altima I've seen recently has been a rental.

yeah they're everywhere on rental lots

Not a bad car, actually, other than the fact that I hate CVTs, but it's in a dying segment and it's not better than the Mazda6, Accord, and Camry

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Not a bad car, actually, other than the fact that I hate CVTs, but it's in a dying segment and it's not better than the Mazda6, Accord, and Camry

Yeah, but the bi-weekly payments are $20 cheaper!

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Powershift posted:

Get this, everything they build suuuuuuuuuuuucks.

They built a business on financing people for 96 months at 23% and they're out of idiots.

Isn't this the same thing Mitsubishi did in the early 2000's?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

BloodBag posted:

Isn't this the same thing Mitsubishi did in the early 2000's?

That's funny, I subliminally thought we were talking about Mitsubishi this whole time. There is a certain similarity isn't there?

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Kicks seems decent. It's probably one of four sub-compact SUVs worth looking at.

Leaf is a good car for what it is.

Other then that, Nissan doesn't have any really competitive products.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I see Rogues everywhere. My boss asked me what car he should get for his daughter about about 18 months ago. I recommended something I know about, a 2010 Impreza hatch, he found her a 2012 Rogue instead. The CVT has poo poo the bed and stranded her twice. He reasons that this is not unexpected for a car with 100k on it. She is like 17 or 18 now and hates driving, I’m pretty sure this car is the reason.

I took a trip to a client’s site with a coworker, he drove his Rogue, he proudly proclaimed he had just paid it off. The nav system is useless and the screen is the size of a cigarette pack. It has no room in the back. The interior is made from dimpled Rubbermaid plastic. When we left, he matted it with coolant still ice cold, the engine lazily climbed to 5k and emitted a metallic clatter. The CVT kept it rattling for a good 10 or 15 seconds until we were at highway speed.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I personally hate the steering, throttle response, and braking. All 3 are way too sensitive initially. Styling is take/leave, actually like their seats.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

i own every Bionicle posted:

I see Rogues everywhere. My boss asked me what car he should get for his daughter about about 18 months ago. I recommended something I know about, a 2010 Impreza hatch, he found her a 2012 Rogue instead. The CVT has poo poo the bed and stranded her twice. He reasons that this is not unexpected for a car with 100k on it. She is like 17 or 18 now and hates driving, I’m pretty sure this car is the reason.

I took a trip to a client’s site with a coworker, he drove his Rogue, he proudly proclaimed he had just paid it off. The nav system is useless and the screen is the size of a cigarette pack. It has no room in the back. The interior is made from dimpled Rubbermaid plastic. When we left, he matted it with coolant still ice cold, the engine lazily climbed to 5k and emitted a metallic clatter. The CVT kept it rattling for a good 10 or 15 seconds until we were at highway speed.
I had the misfortune of having a Rogue rental for an annoying long drive and we had to pull over after 20 minutes to check that the hood was properly secured. Yes, it was, it’s just that the thing was so floppy and bouncy at interstate speeds that I thought it was going to rip loose and blind us at 70mph.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rogues are the worst rentals I get they are horrible. muranos are a lot better tho.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

david_a posted:

I had the misfortune of having a Rogue rental for an annoying long drive and we had to pull over after 20 minutes to check that the hood was properly secured. Yes, it was, it’s just that the thing was so floppy and bouncy at interstate speeds that I thought it was going to rip loose and blind us at 70mph.

To be fair my Lincoln’s hood flaps at high speeds + gusty winds too ($65k sticker price lmafo)

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Just chiming in that I had less of an issue with Nissan's CVT than with whatever rubberband poo poo Toyota uses for the Corolla. Powershift might fight me on that. :ohdear:

All CVTs are still poo poo, though.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I had the misfortune of a backseat Rogue mountain trip w some friends of ours and it was a goddamned painful, thankless slog. It was a 5hr trip with a couple stops and I still wanted to die. I’m 6’3 230ish and I was more comfortable in the rear of a crew cab Tacoma.

God what a lovely car.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

CVT's as a whole belong behind turbines and in front of superchargers. Turbines because they hate changing speed and superchargers because you have infinitely variable pulley sizing.

They do not belong anywhere else. EVER.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
every time i see a rogue on the road i'm left wondering about the heat exchanger thing i see...

edit: theres a jalop article about it, now that i think to google it

https://jalopnik.com/the-definitive-answer-to-what-that-heat-exchanger-looki-1826964480

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

McTinkerson posted:

CVT's as a whole belong behind turbines and in front of superchargers. Turbines because they hate changing speed and superchargers because you have infinitely variable pulley sizing.

They do not belong anywhere else. EVER.

Snowmobiles my dude.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The fact that Nissan hasn't updated the Frontier in a decade still boggles my mind.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I actually like that the Nissan CVT acts like a CVT. It keeps the engine at a single RPM and the car goes faster like its ancestors the snowmobile and golf cart did. Subaru’s waggling the tach around and pretending to shift gears like a COPS sound effect is dumb.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FCKGW posted:

The fact that Nissan hasn't updated the Frontier in a decade still boggles my mind.

I have one as a rental right now. It's fine. It's very honest and simple. It has a bluetooth head unit and some USB poo poo. I kind of like it better than the recent Rangers I have had.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

FCKGW posted:

Even longer right? Like 15? But it’s a simple and reliable truck and still comes in manual I believe. Not the worst purchase. I’d be into it if I needed a mid sized truck.

The Frontier is like the best thing Nissan is doing now.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I have one as a rental right now. It's fine. It's very honest and simple. It has a bluetooth head unit and some USB poo poo. I kind of like it better than the recent Rangers I have had.

You being serious? I thought that the Ranger drove best out of the whole segment and the 2.3T is a good truck motor?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I drove a Ranger XLT a few weekends ago. It stickered for $35k, had what I would consider the minimums - Sync, bedliner, keyless entry, cruise. The 2.3 was fine, transmission was fine, interior was ok - nicer than the Tacoma, flashier than the Colorado but still just ok, handled ok, ride was not as well controlled as the Colorado but not as hard as the Tacoma. It just didn't feel like a good buy at $35k. When you could get a similarly equipped F150 XL with the same options, more room, the same gas mileage and a similar price with cash on the hood.

I feel the same way about the Colorado and Tacoma as well.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

I actually like that the Nissan CVT acts like a CVT. It keeps the engine at a single RPM and the car goes faster like its ancestors the snowmobile and golf cart did. Subaru’s waggling the tach around and pretending to shift gears like a COPS sound effect is dumb.

Except cars arent snowmobiles and need a far wider rpm range to handle real world activities outside of one specific full throttle senario. As much as CVTs suck Subaru has it right and Nissans CVT programing is loving stupid.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

BraveUlysses posted:

every time i see a rogue on the road i'm left wondering about the heat exchanger thing i see...

edit: theres a jalop article about it, now that i think to google it

https://jalopnik.com/the-definitive-answer-to-what-that-heat-exchanger-looki-1826964480

Haha thanks, I never remember to look that up.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Charles posted:

Haha thanks, I never remember to look that up.

Ditto, I always notice that thing and always forget to google it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

You being serious? I thought that the Ranger drove best out of the whole segment and the 2.3T is a good truck motor?

The ranger is extremely fancy. It drives well, I didn't like the ten speed transmission all that much. It's too nice. The Frontier has a poo poo interior, great visibility, and a lovely but predictable automatic transmission.

The Frontier reminds me of my old Ranger. The new Ranger reminds me of a Ford Taurus for people with ego problems.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I think the CVT in my '18 Civic (My daily driver, not the super funmobile) is actually pretty good. If they sold the SI here then I'd definitely have that though.

What threw me off when I got it was that it acts like a CVT when you are in Drive mode but if you put it in Sport and use the paddle shifters on the steering wheel then it locks itself into 7 pre-set gear ratios instead of constantly changing. For being a general commuter car it's fun though possibly defeating the point of being a CVT (or maybe best of both worlds, I dunno, i'm not a car engineer)

Solus fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 26, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

Just chiming in that I had less of an issue with Nissan's CVT than with whatever rubberband poo poo Toyota uses for the Corolla. Powershift might fight me on that. :ohdear:

I'll fight anybody on anything.

Except that, toyota sucks too.

I was quite impressed by the 8 speed in a rental grand cherokee, and the 6 speed dct in the NIro. It's not even a matter of feeling the shifts, it's just a matter of feeling like you're controlling the RPM with the pedal. It's more a sense of control than anything for me.

The 8 speed in the colorado is fine in auto mode and makes the truck pretty loving quick, but manual mode is dumb because it only takes your shifts as a suggestion, and only shows the gear you've selected and not the gear it's in. I wouldn't want to tow much through the mountains with it. It feels like they kept the CTS transmission programming.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

FCKGW posted:

They are definitely dragging their heels on updates. I'm pretty sure they brought the Qashqai and Kicks over from the EU virtually unchanged, and the Leaf is the only thing in recent memory that's gotten a refresh. Oh wait, I think maybe the Altima is new.

Maybe they're hoping acquiring Mitsubishi and stabbing Ghosn in the back will fix the rest of it.

Ghosn's out of Japanese prison for the second time again as of this morning so I look forward to poo poo hitting the fan.

edit: I should not have spoken badly of Nissan, apparently they did a huge announcement of the 2020 Versa that everyone completely missed. It now has a flat-bottom steering wheel like a RACE CAR

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 26, 2019

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Seat Safety Switch posted:

edit: I should not have spoken badly of Nissan, apparently they did a huge announcement of the 2020 Versa that everyone completely missed. It now has a flat-bottom steering wheel like a RACE CAR

Ooh, according to the link there it also uses harmonious materials.

What wouldn't be harmonious, magnesium and water?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
The interior plastics and heat shields have been carefully designed so that, when broken and rattling, they form a perfect chord.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
Being a PR writer for a loving Versa would make me examine where my life went wrong

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The back seat leg room in sedans is getting too drat small!

SL test mule

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Looking into why Ghosn got arrested; of course it's for skimming money off the top for jets, yachts, overblown retirements, and his son's ***~~~startup~~~***.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It's still kind of mindblowing that he was skimming so much when he was just straight up being paid honestly like eighteen million us dollars, dogg u can afford to pay for your own poo poo

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's still kind of mindblowing that he was skimming so much when he was just straight up being paid honestly like eighteen million us dollars, dogg u can afford to pay for your own poo poo

Because he could have more. What they have or are getting is never enough for rich people.

The Nastier Nate posted:

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/440417-feds-investigating-illinois-governor-first-lady-over-property-tax-break

A literal billionaire making GBS threads in a bucket to save a few grand, wheel out the guillotine boyas

quote:

The investigation reportedly stems from Pritzker and his wife M.K. Pritzker’s pursuit of a property tax break for a mansion they purchased next to their home on Chicago’s Gold Coast.

M.K. Pritzker reportedly directed workers to remove all toilets from the mansion, making the Pritzkers eligible for a property tax break since the building was “uninhabitable,” according to a Cook County inspector general’s report first reported by the Chicago Sun-Times in October 2018, before Pritzker was elected.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I feel like if I were skimming that much money I would just start giving it to people on the street. You look like you have a good idea for a TV show, how's $500,000 sound?

I'll give you $45k if you piss on your boss right now. You can go home and finish that novel.

They'd never find a jury to convict me.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fknlo posted:

Because he could have more. What they have or are getting is never enough for rich people.

This is next level tax avoidance and I have to respect the thought process behind it, even if it’s totally a shitbag move

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Powershift posted:

The back seat leg room in sedans is getting too drat small!

SL test mule

This looks shopped. I can tell from some of the pixels and from seeing quite a few shops in my time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Solus posted:

I think the CVT in my '18 Civic (My daily driver, not the super funmobile) is actually pretty good. If they sold the SI here then I'd definitely have that though.

Completely agreed. I think Honda's 4-cylinder CVTs are fantastic, honestly. With extremely similar power/weight, a K24/CVT Accord is much faster than my K24/5-speed auto CR-V on any sort of acceleration test that isn't just a pull from a dead stop. Five speeds, especially as widely spaced as they are on a Hondamatic, still has plenty of holes where it can't kick down far enough to get the engine in its sweet spot. The CVT "shifts" faster than the Hondamatic does, and it always has a ratio where the engine can actually get some work done.