Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I think the trim looks fine. Are you going to paint the walls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

actionjackson posted:

Are you going to paint the walls?

This is the real problem. Get rid of that border and paint the walls. That trim is timeless.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Man I did not expect this level of intensity.

The point has been made, I won't be removing any of the trim. My wife wasn't keen on the idea either, and I wasn't even sure how I felt, so I thought I'd get some context. I sure got it too.

One thing that isn't captured in that photo is just how orange it is. It's orange. In addition, since the house was built before a lot of modern architectural strategies were implemented, there are virtually no south-facing windows. The result is that there isn't much natural light in the core of the house, which is where that photo was taken. So I've got ultra orange wood in a naturally dark room. I'm not sure what to do with that yet. I'm thinking brown walls and lots of mirrors, but it's hard to consider that sort of thing without being in the space, and we haven't moved in yet.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

The Wonder Weapon posted:

The point has been made, I won't be removing any of the trim. My wife wasn't keen on the idea either, and I wasn't even sure how I felt, so I thought I'd get some context. I sure got it too.

One thing that isn't captured in that photo is just how orange it is. It's orange. In addition, since the house was built before a lot of modern architectural strategies were implemented, there are virtually no south-facing windows. The result is that there isn't much natural light in the core of the house, which is where that photo was taken. So I've got ultra orange wood in a naturally dark room. I'm not sure what to do with that yet. I'm thinking brown walls and lots of mirrors, but it's hard to consider that sort of thing without being in the space, and we haven't moved in yet.

You think that building structures to capture natural light is a modern phenomenon?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
The trim is likely finished with shellac if its that old, which will only get orange-er as it ages.

I bet if the walls were not as white the existing trim color would look better.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Yes, it's a shotgun style house, thank you. Or at least close. The bedrooms are all upstairs, and there's some semblance of division between the rooms, but they're all in a line on the ground floor with no hallways.

Here's a different question. This house is from 1880. The hardwood floors, baseboard, and door way trim is all original. I have absolutely no plans to remove the floors. I'm going to sand and polyurethane them.

The trim, though, I'm not so sure about. It's in fine shape, but the aesthetic is old. I don't much care for it, though I appreciate that it's original woodwork.

Am I nuts to remove 140 year old wood like that?

Incoming beatmstrj 2.0 style follow-up post...

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
guys I pulled back some drywall and the crown molding just keeps going. its gotta be a foot wide around every corner of the house

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

BigFactory posted:

You think that building structures to capture natural light is a modern phenomenon?

I recall reading recently that strategy of orienting windows southward in homes in the northern hemisphere was a direct result of the 70s energy crisis.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Would the wood trim bother you as much if it weren't so orange? Because you can use the wall paint to tone that down in a lot of ways.

Yellow oak instead of pine, but you can see how the yellow and blue paints subtly change the tone of the wood. There's no way to really downplay the trim without going for an intense color, but if you really just hate the shade then something like a medium green-gray might at least make it a lot more brown.

I recall reading recently that strategy of orienting windows southward in homes in the northern hemisphere was a direct result of the 70s energy crisis.

Could be a case of architectural tricks invented centuries before that got phased out with the invention of AC, only to be brought back when we realized energy isn't cheep and infinite.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

There may have been a period in the 20th century where energy costs were low and house builders didn’t pay as much attention to solar orientation, and did things like build colonials with no porches in the prairie, but your house was built before electric lights were common. Builders paid a little bit of attention to things like that back then. There could be other factors why you don’t have south facing windows, like street/lot orientation or existing buildings.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

One thing that isn't captured in that photo is just how orange it is. It's orange.

Refinish it then? My take is that if you have old woodwork in excellent condition, best thing to do is it be, second best is to refinish it (light sand, not-orange stain, shellac/whatever - perfectly acceptable for fixing a bad color, in my book), second worst is to paint it (I curse the name of the previous owner of my house whenever I look at all the sloppily applied paint that I need to strip from the woodwork, but at least the woodwork is still there), worst is tearing it out and replacing it with garbage.

I mean, I have an issue with my dining room where the trim is extremely dark, but oddly flat and dull. And the mantelpiece was painted black at some point. So I want to refinish and have it still be pretty dark, but rich and nice looking and not flat. Also the wall color is this gross dishwater color that I hate. Making adjustments like that is fine.

quote:

In addition, since the house was built before a lot of modern architectural strategies were implemented, there are virtually no south-facing windows. The result is that there isn't much natural light in the core of the house, which is where that photo was taken.

Are you somewhere in the south/a warm climate? Shotgun houses were prevalent in warm regions because their layouts worked to cross-ventilate the interior and keep it cool in the days before air conditioning. My guess is that the lack of south-facing windows is either a factor of how the orientation of the lot worked out or a means to further keep it shaded and cool in the summer, not necessarily because the house was designed by some primitive from the days of yore who didn't know how sunlight worked in an architectural sense.

My Victorian is hella dark in the summer. This is a feature, not a bug, because the house stays blessedly cool, to the point where we don't need air conditioning on the first two floors (third floor gets hot but it's for servants so whatever). I also have a bunch of those quaint old transom windows above interior doors to promote cross-ventilation in the evenings. I thank the Victorian architect who used clever architectural techniques (now lost to the sands of time) and is now saving me hundreds of dollars a summer. If my house had been built with "modern architectural strategies", then the architect wouldn't have bothered to consider seasonal shifts in sunlight, window location, regional climate, or details like interior transoms because central AC exists so what's the point, too bad if you don't want to burn a ton of electricity to keep your modernly designed house livable in the summer.

I used to live in a postwar duplex designed and built with central air. Two summers in a row, the AC broke and it was completely unbearable inside.

Then I moved into a 1915 quadplex down the street, and suddenly I didn't even need AC in the first place. Same with our Victorian.

quote:

So I've got ultra orange wood in a naturally dark room. I'm not sure what to do with that yet. I'm thinking brown walls and lots of mirrors, but it's hard to consider that sort of thing without being in the space, and we haven't moved in yet.

So... you're complaining about the room being dark, but you want to paint the walls brown? Hrmm..

If I were in your shoes, I'd refinish the trim to be richer and darker (I hate the orange oak tone too) and paint the walls a crisp white with a bit of warmth in it. I'd keep the floors as they are. Implement good lighting (overhead plus lamps) and use light upholstery. Put up some big modern arts. And maybe a mirror. The room will be airy and fantastic.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Queen Victorian posted:

If I were in your shoes, I'd refinish the trim to be richer and darker (I hate the orange oak tone too) and paint the walls a crisp white with a bit of warmth in it. I'd keep the floors as they are. Implement good lighting (overhead plus lamps) and use light upholstery. Put up some big modern arts. And maybe a mirror. The room will be airy and fantastic.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

value-brand cereal posted:

This bathtub looks like it could align my chakras AND make them nut. Best of all? It has counterspace for all my silly soaps, smelly candles, drinks, and snacks. Oh, and a cat or three to loiter nearby, suspicious of bubbles. I might as well have cats in my 'won the lottery' daydream.

gently caress putting rocks AROUND the tub. Make the rocks the bathtub.

I don't even like cast iron tubs because of their thermal mass, I can't imagine what it takes to get a hot bath to stay hot in that enormous thermal mass.

Also, RIP the walls when you need the forklift to bring the thousand pound bathtub into the bathroom. Also I hope you have a poured concrete slab to put that on.

I mean that tub is gorgeous as heck, but unless it's a thin facade of stone surrounding a tub made of something else, it's going to suck to use.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Part of the reason it looks SO orange is because the walls are a very cool neutral currently. It's going to make any other colors next to it look more saturated. If the walls were darker and warmer, the wood would look more like just wood instead of orange wood. Or you could lean into the orange wood color and do a deep navy/teal wall to really show off that wood. We did this with our master bedroom with a similar color floor as yours and it looks pretty great, if I do say so myself. This was the color inspiration we used:

We accessorized with white and brass tones.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

I don't even like cast iron tubs because of their thermal mass, I can't imagine what it takes to get a hot bath to stay hot in that enormous thermal mass.

Also, RIP the walls when you need the forklift to bring the thousand pound bathtub into the bathroom. Also I hope you have a poured concrete slab to put that on.

I mean that tub is gorgeous as heck, but unless it's a thin facade of stone surrounding a tub made of something else, it's going to suck to use.

:( must you be sensible and intelligent? Ok, maybe it is a facade. I'd look it up for how it's made, but the source was a generic minimalistic fashion tumblr.

I can't tell if it's a legit sleeping bed or lounging bed like couch. But what I do know is that this is the upholstered monolith from 2001: a space oddysey.

[It's RICK OWENS at home, Paris, France, 2015 according to tumblr]

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

vonnegutt posted:

Part of the reason it looks SO orange is because the walls are a very cool neutral currently. It's going to make any other colors next to it look more saturated. If the walls were darker and warmer, the wood would look more like just wood instead of orange wood. Or you could lean into the orange wood color and do a deep navy/teal wall to really show off that wood. We did this with our master bedroom with a similar color floor as yours and it looks pretty great, if I do say so myself. This was the color inspiration we used:

We accessorized with white and brass tones.
I really dig this and those colors, but I’m not so sure about the spindly iron porch furniture inside. It just doesn’t look comfortable or inviting. Some small white wood/upholstered chairs would look great, or even like some small gilt side chairs to go with the big gilt frame and brass hardware.

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes
You could always remove the original yellowed shellac and refinish it with new. There are soy-based paint strippers (one is called soy gel iirc) that are odorless and don't burn your skin, and work a charm on old wood. I used some to restore original oak trim with a dozen layers of paint (and old milk paint) in a 1920s house, and it took everything off without hurting the trim, or me.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

This showed up in my Instagram feed and I’m honestly not sure how to feel about it.

Sorry everyone, but this one appears to be sold: https://meblfurniture.com/shop/cupboard/box-rebellion/

Fear not, though! There’s plenty more where that came from.

https://meblfurniture.com

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

This showed up in my Instagram feed and I’m honestly not sure how to feel about it.

Sorry everyone, but this one appears to be sold: https://meblfurniture.com/shop/cupboard/box-rebellion/

Aw, you and I get targeted by the same ads.

Talk about hostile design.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

those chairs are kind of badass in all fairness

would go well in that cement home in LA that they used for a scene in blade runner

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Splicer posted:

At some point this house will pass to someone who appreciates it, try not to gently caress it up too badly in the meantime.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

those chairs are kind of badass in all fairness

would go well in that cement home in LA that they used for a scene in blade runner

All I see is mouths ready to bite my rear end. Can we at least agree this is an abomination?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I hadn't considered the possibility that the tone comes from a shellac. Once we get in two weeks or so, I'll test it with some denatured alcohol and see what we're dealing with. I'd be ecstatic if it turns out there's a more natural color hiding underneath. I'm not going to paint it regardless, so you can all rest easy.

As per being a regional layout, the house is in New York actually. I'd guess the design is due to the plot, as it's square against the road, which is right alongside a river. (And a major reason why we purchased it.)

Queen Victorian posted:

So... you're complaining about the room being dark, but you want to paint the walls brown? Hrmm..

While doing some research on color, I stumbled across this article. Is it reasonable? I'm attracted to the idea of dark, rich walls, but my wife is concerned about them making the room look smaller. If that isn't the case, it would let me consider some dark tones that might do a lot of work to complement the wood.
https://www.sherwin-williams.com/home-builders/color/education/sw-article-pro-mcdebunking

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

there wolf posted:

All I see is mouths ready to bite my rear end. Can we at least agree this is an abomination?

its frankenstein beautiful

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

I hadn't considered the possibility that the tone comes from a shellac. Once we get in two weeks or so, I'll test it with some denatured alcohol and see what we're dealing with. I'd be ecstatic if it turns out there's a more natural color hiding underneath. I'm not going to paint it regardless, so you can all rest easy.

Look into lime washing / Osmo oil finishes for both walls and trim. They could work, will definitely take away any yellow and give you many of the benefits of white paint while retaining grain.

White walls too will give you lighter and bigger feeling rooms, regardless of anything else. It’d be a very special, very light room to make dark brown a reasonable choice for a wall imo.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

They should rename to "House of Fugly".

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

While doing some research on color, I stumbled across this article. Is it reasonable? I'm attracted to the idea of dark, rich walls, but my wife is concerned about them making the room look smaller. If that isn't the case, it would let me consider some dark tones that might do a lot of work to complement the wood.
https://www.sherwin-williams.com/home-builders/color/education/sw-article-pro-mcdebunking

Yeah, the light = big, dark = small mantra is a gross oversimplification of how perception works. I love rich dark wall colors and would rather deal with size perception in other ways than keeping it light and boring, like not cluttering rooms and using smaller furniture. Our house came with lots of dark/garish colors in the rooms, some of which are terrible, with a few being good. Slate blue in the attic? Good color, and the darkness doesn't make it feel smaller. Blood red in the little 11x11 bedroom we made into our TV den? Awesome. We will be repainting it a slightly better shade of red (more rust, less maroon) and probably paint the (already painted) trim dark because red walls + white trim always looks like a red velvet cake to me. Dining room has the dark trim and coffering, and I'm considering a deep green or something for it (currently it's a dingy greenish grey-white). I also love dark colors in powder rooms (so many people make these light because "it will feel bigger" - except it's a powder room, they're supposed to be small so who cares).

Anyhow, my previous suggestions were based entirely on concerns about level of natural light, not size perception. If you have a room with not great natural light (facing north, not enough windows, etc) and think it feels too dark/dreary, then you'd want to go light and bright to reflect/augment the light you've got (rather than absorb it with dark walls).

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

This article is not good, but it's heart is in the right place. Darkness makes a place feel smaller because you literally aren't able to see as much, and dark walls can contribute to that by sucking up more light. Frankly, having what looks like pretty high ceilings is going to do a lot to make the rooms feel bigger, and the lighter trim and floor is going to tell your brain what the actual proportions of the space are. Embrace the dark! You can always repaint.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Since we've been talking about dark walls.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It’s like Memphis but worse.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

there wolf posted:

Since we've been talking about dark walls.

I remember that Win 3.1 scheme

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Current living room wall color (https://www.behr.com/consumer/colors/paint/color/480D-7)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

nice

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

This is a really posh clothing and design store in my city.

https://www.martinpatrick3.com/interiors

https://www.martinpatrick3.com/furnishings

I was just there and they had a swivel chair for $2700. lol

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Sweet Jesus, that Overlook Hotel wallpaper. :stare:

If I had access to my work computer I'd fire up Photoshop and do the needful.

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 27, 2019

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

This is the color I was planning to do with my new laminate countertop. What do you think? It's from a visualizer (obv.) and I tried to approximate my cabinet (maple) and wall (cream) color. My appliances will (soon) all be stainless steel.

Also here are the solid colors I can choose from. The only other ones I thought might work are some of the grays, like platinum and pewter.

https://www.wilsonart.com/laminate/solid-colors

Only registered members can see post attachments!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
It’s not bad but the black/maple kinda reminds me of a lab benchtop/90s rental. Grey/pewter sound more interesting. I assume you’re against white.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

edit: that's not black it's dark brown.

Yeah I'm thinking about this for a gray

https://www.wilsonart.com/laminate/solid-colors/platinum-d315

It would go well with the gray I painted on the opposite wall.

There's also this darker gray but it's quite a bit more expensive.

https://www.wilsonart.com/laminate/solid-colors/charcoal-velvet-15504

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

actionjackson posted:

This is the color I was planning to do with my new laminate countertop. What do you think? It's from a visualizer (obv.) and I tried to approximate my cabinet (maple) and wall (cream) color. My appliances will (soon) all be stainless steel.

Also here are the solid colors I can choose from. The only other ones I thought might work are some of the grays, like platinum and pewter.

https://www.wilsonart.com/laminate/solid-colors

Oh yeah, that picture helps. I like it. The wood helps keep it from looking to stark or industrial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Reminds me of a college lab room, but that’s fine.