Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

This game is really good and I enjoy the hell out of it, except for when I actually play it. When I actually sit down to play I get bored within minutes and frustrated with myself because I can see fun right there on the screen, I just can't reach it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

s.i.r.e. posted:

To be fair, that was the only point of the game on release.

Personally I was more interested in alien linguistics.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

chaosapiant posted:

This game is really good and I enjoy the hell out of it, except for when I actually play it. When I actually sit down to play I get bored within minutes and frustrated with myself because I can see fun right there on the screen, I just can't reach it.

It's a slow build up to where it isn't as much of a grind, which is why I prefer free build mode. VR should add a lot to the experience and interaction within the game. At least I hope it does.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
This is a good game to play on a Saturday morning you woke up super early because it started raining hard outside

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I started customising a cool base on my freighter with a big ready room type space leading to the command rooms for fleet expeditions and it's just a colossal pain. I have tons of raw materials and getting more is trivial, but shifting silver and tritium around inventories is just so needless and fiddly that I'm just about ready to give up and do it on creative instead.

Oh yeah after I sent my fleet out on some missions I had 350 tonnes of fuel left which takes up three separate freighter slots because it's 1x200, 1x100 and 1x50, but 1000 tonnes only takes up a single slot because it's 5x200. I can't even resolve it by making more fuel because you can't combine two 50 tonne fuel into a 100 tonne fuel or two 100 tonnes into a 200 tonne what the gently caress No Man's Sky? WHAT THE gently caress???

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Party Boat posted:

I started customising a cool base on my freighter with a big ready room type space leading to the command rooms for fleet expeditions and it's just a colossal pain. I have tons of raw materials and getting more is trivial, but shifting silver and tritium around inventories is just so needless and fiddly that I'm just about ready to give up and do it on creative instead.

Oh yeah after I sent my fleet out on some missions I had 350 tonnes of fuel left which takes up three separate freighter slots because it's 1x200, 1x100 and 1x50, but 1000 tonnes only takes up a single slot because it's 5x200. I can't even resolve it by making more fuel because you can't combine two 50 tonne fuel into a 100 tonne fuel or two 100 tonnes into a 200 tonne what the gently caress No Man's Sky? WHAT THE gently caress???

It's very important to severely impede player progress in a single player/client side based game that is a one time purchase because

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
For those interested, there is some new 65dos music. New album coming this fall and also new music monthly if you subscribe on bandcamp from various projects they've been doing over the last couple of years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68NvvJClDKI

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
Jesus that music sucks

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

The best mod I ever installed was the instant mining mod. Good god it adds so much QOL not spending hours holding down M1 on rocks.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Resource farming to create things outside of Creative mode is the least fun.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The_Doctor posted:

Overall I agree, but I never use cheats or creative mode because some part of my brain is broke, and it feels like I didn't "earn" what I have. It's dumb, I know. But in some games I like the reward that comes with menial toil and the thought that if I have a big base one day, it's because I mined every single chunk of rock used to build it. As a consequence, I just never play the game for more than 15 min at a time after each major patch.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Do you think in the new update Hello Games will give us the option of skipping the lovely base building quests in permadeath?

Unlikely, but a traveller can dream.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ideally I’d like a mix of creative mode, but still have the option of danger/sentinels in it.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

The_Doctor posted:

Ideally I’d like a mix of creative mode, but still have the option of danger/sentinels in it.

I want all the recipes and blueprints off the start and I just need to mine for the stuff.

I'm definitely going to be playing in creative mode when I do VR though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The_Doctor posted:

I'd be ok if they just let everything stack to 99999.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah casual mode with 9999 stacks, fast mining, all blueprints, but still having combat would be nice.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yes, that would be great. The limited holding absolutely hampers the game.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

Yes, that would be great. The limited holding absolutely hampers the game.

Every time I open a storage container and see the arbitrary 5 slots instead of anything symmetrical like 9 or even 12, I feel a little more dead inside. Giant cube container. Game where inventories are clearly arranged in grids. 5 slots in the container...

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

ToastyPotato posted:

Every time I open a storage container and see the arbitrary 5 slots instead of anything symmetrical like 9 or even 12, I feel a little more dead inside. Giant cube container. Game where inventories are clearly arranged in grids. 5 slots in the container...

Yeah, there should be multiple sizes of storage and that largest one should have tons of slots and stacking of thousands of items.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Are the Gek the only ones selling hyperdrive range upgrades? I just stumbled over a vendor selling modules which would have expanded my yellow little fighter's range by a whopping 800%. For some reason I had expected this kind of thing more from the Korvax.

I was kind of sad that the upgrades where locked behind a faction level I hadn't reached yet. I guess it's time to be nicer to the Gek!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I think it's all races. Found them for sale from the Vy'keen which was handy because one of my frigates had just brought back a huge pile of their affinity up items.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Party Boat posted:

I think it's all races. Found them for sale from the Vy'keen which was handy because one of my frigates had just brought back a huge pile of their affinity up items.

Ah, frigates. Today I spend some time climbing and repairing my frigates. I had two out of three of my tiny fleet damaged for months, as I just couldn't be arsed to do something.

It was an interesting experience. I drew two conclusions from this:

1. Korvax like to drive their space craft drunk
2. This was fun the first time, but I can already see it getting old fast.

Would be nice if NMS had some sort of fast repair option for the times where you don't want to crawl through industrial pipework for ages.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

Why farm when you can buy 95% of anything you may want in bulk at a space station once you're space rich? I don't play in Creative but I have bought hundreds of thousands of units of pure ferrite over time.

Though I guess there's always that one thing that really brings the base together but it requires some goofy item that can only be obtained from a giant clam or something.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Chromatic metal too. Why spend 3 hours mining copper deposits when you can buy 15,000 from some dude in 20 seconds?

You then make your expenses back and then some by kicking down a door and downloading some data for the korvax.

Dont Touch ME fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 25, 2019

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Once you have some Indium and some Chromatic Metal, as long as you have a medium or large refiner you can make unlimited Chromatic Metal for free.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Storage is my main complaint. The progression from farming to buying didn't phase me much, but what does is everytime I hoover something up and then need to laboriously move it from my backpack into the high-storage backpack in my backpack, or as mentioned have to juggle fuel cells, or want to build something but my backpack is full even though building it would create one or two blank spots for it to go in.

Also an option to turn off text staggering. Actually, no, UI is still my main complaint. I'm on a controller, just make the response options in dialogues button prompts already.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The_Doctor posted:

This poo poo became a gaming cancer once survival titles hit it bit and each one has 900 unique resources that you have to grind and place in bunch of labeled storage containers. I dont know why NMS adopted this crap.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

s.i.r.e. posted:

This poo poo became a gaming cancer once survival titles hit it bit and each one has 900 unique resources that you have to grind and place in bunch of labeled storage containers. I dont know why NMS adopted this crap.

And thank god for that, as I'm a sucker for that poo poo. The only reason I never played Minecraft is because I prefer my Legos made from real plastic and assembled per hand on my desk, thank you very much

But otherwise, I could spend literally weeks on fake assembling odd gizmos using fictional greebles made from 10³ different types of fake materials. If my body wouldn't insist on needing food, water and sleep occasionally, I would literally never stop playing

Libluini fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Apr 26, 2019

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Games are a disease, we all suffer from games.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

If it wasn't the plan initially then I'm sure once a big publisher got involved there were meetings stressing the utmost importance of competing in a traditional game space rather than releasing a highly marketed narrative-driven space walksim.

Resource gathering is an extremely simple way to incentivise actually landing on the planets the entire tech is built around delivering. You just tie everything to a backend that says shoot x for y and you don't have to worry about creating a way to deliver unique story locations across arbitrary planets. You can kind of still see the latter in things like the portals, but that's like scan, land, done.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I always like gathering and building. I only played Fallout 4 for the settlements.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

John F Bennett posted:

I always like gathering and building. I only played Fallout 4 for the settlements.

Yeah. I actually got bored with FO4 when I realized how flawed and buggy the settlement system was. Couldn't be bothered to finish the story. A dream game for me is basically FO4 settlement building with much larger, randomly generated (but still very good) maps. But also the settlements would be better/have more features for management. Basically a first person post apocalyptic city builder. Or a first person Rimworld... I'd even throw some Fallout Shelter features into it, like sending settlers on missions of their own, which is basically like the frigate system in NMS. Gear them up, pack them with food, water, meds, etc, and see what they bring back, if they survive at all.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

chaosapiant posted:

Overall I agree, but I never use cheats or creative mode because some part of my brain is broke, and it feels like I didn't "earn" what I have. It's dumb, I know. But in some games I like the reward that comes with menial toil and the thought that if I have a big base one day, it's because I mined every single chunk of rock used to build it. As a consequence, I just never play the game for more than 15 min at a time after each major patch.

Oh my god are you me? That's absolutely my experience as well, although I've been able to get a few more minutes out of it. When I play, I usually spend the first chunk of time just harvesting things and getting enough resources so I won't have to stop in the middle of exploring/flying around/fighting to shoot more di-hydrogen because my stupid ship is out of stupid launch fuel.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Lucas Archer posted:

Oh my god are you me? That's absolutely my experience as well, although I've been able to get a few more minutes out of it. When I play, I usually spend the first chunk of time just harvesting things and getting enough resources so I won't have to stop in the middle of exploring/flying around/fighting to shoot more di-hydrogen because my stupid ship is out of stupid launch fuel.

Same. I do this in a lot of games and end up burning out. I try to go against my brokebrain and just..."enjoy" a game sometimes. But then I feel guilty and turn it off.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
With me it's not about guilt; I find it's possible to actually enjoy the process of gathering resources, as long as it's either an interesting experience (have to fight challenging enemies, have to work out how to safely get them and get back home, whatever) or a chill one. I still occasionally fire up Minecraft for both reasons - there's something relaxing about going out and digging up those little ore blocks, and deliberately getting lost in huge underground caves lets me turn that chill experience into an absolutely feral one where I beat zombies to death with my fists and eat them while I hunt for the passage that'll take me home. But, like, in a chill way.

After that, the feeling of building an awesome mansion full of riches is just a nice little capstone. Sort of a "look what I have wrought. I cannot be killed and also my taste in architecture is impeccable" moment.

No Man's Sky doesn't quite hit that mark, for me. Exploring is interesting and I love talking to all the weird aliens, but mining and building just don't... feel good in this game. I wish I could pinpoint why.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I built a house. I accidentally added a roof stretching out over nothing. I cannot get rid of it. Why.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Yea, doing the "toil" part of a resource gathering game is best when that part of the game is engaging. Minecraft does it very well because there's always something new to see and experience. Stardew Valley is another game where I enjoy the moment to moment gameplay. With NMS, I find I'm doing menial things just so that I can do "fun" things later.

Lucas Archer posted:

I built a house. I accidentally added a roof stretching out over nothing. I cannot get rid of it. Why.

Make the house bigger to fit the roof?

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

chaosapiant posted:

Yea, doing the "toil" part of a resource gathering game is best when that part of the game is engaging. Minecraft does it very well because there's always something new to see and experience. Stardew Valley is another game where I enjoy the moment to moment gameplay. With NMS, I find I'm doing menial things just so that I can do "fun" things later.

Make the house bigger to fit the roof?

That's not the "aesthetic" I was going for though. Edit: gently caress Trump's sad, I'm just boo hoo sad because I don't get exactly what I want.

One thing I think about NMS is it's a very slow burn at the beginning, but once you have a few pieces of tech and blueprints under your belt, it becomes much easier. Also finding a planet where you don't have to constantly worry about your hazard suit's power dropping is nice. Find yourself a nice humid planet and explore to your hearts content.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Yea, I have yet to settle on a planet. And if/when I do, a major update comes out that turns it into a barren hellscape so I have to relocate. I like the idea of nesting in a system and just sticking around a general area and making it my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

chaosapiant posted:

Yea, I have yet to settle on a planet. And if/when I do, a major update comes out that turns it into a barren hellscape so I have to relocate. I like the idea of nesting in a system and just sticking around a general area and making it my own.

I really wish there was a way to attract, resettle, or recruit random NPCs as opposed to the preset base guys. I'd love to find a pretty planet somewhere, build a little sci-fi settlement on it, and fill it up with stumpy fat lizards, lumpy pastel Klingons, and beeping CRT robots to learn words from and do odd jobs for.