Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Covok posted:

Also, keep in mind that its an inherently less interesting setting than Fragged Empire.

That's certainly an opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Bundle of Holding is offering a Traveller20 Bundle. Yes, the rules get bagged on a lot, but I still love it.

https://sendy.bundleofholding.com/l/BERL892zqkzfV4wnO8yUk2Uw/mmtF60KCtrpQww7ypga77Q/YmzfbxytFVzqoRNRKlC2mQ

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Asmodee is having a hell of a deal on their digital versions via Humble: https://www.humblebundle.com/games/more-board-games-asmodee

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Asmodee is having a hell of a deal on their digital versions via Humble: https://www.humblebundle.com/games/more-board-games-asmodee
Very nice! wish they included the Switch version though

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm assuming Scythe is worth it for $12?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I'm not that familiar with Scythe, honestly! People really seemed hyped about it a few years back, and I haven't heard people go way back on that since. The digital version looks nice, but there are reports of some rough bugs the devs are apparently trying to iron out.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the only take i’ve heard of Scythe is that it may be one of the best games of all time?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I can't speak for the digital version, but Scythe the game is pretty complex and has a lot of different paths to victory. It's a really fun game that you can sink some time into, has good expansions, and a really great aesthetic/world.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Oh, hey, they have ASoIF up as well if you need a D&D clone that cuts HP and doubles the damage of swords to get that 'everyone can die at any time' feel.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Mayday Games is having a moving sale, so it's -40% on all their sleeves, discounts on tons of their games, etc.

https://www.maydaygames.com/collections/hot-deals

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

dwarf74 posted:

Mayday Games is having a moving sale, so it's -40% on all their sleeves, discounts on tons of their games, etc.

https://www.maydaygames.com/collections/hot-deals

poo poo. Somebody tell me what I need to buy to sleeve all of Dominion

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!
This may be of help with that sale: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/164572/card-sleeve-sizes-games

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Nice. 4100 sleeves.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Toshimo posted:

Nice. 4100 sleeves.
That's a lot of loving sleeves.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Scythe is a pretty mediocre game where the best part of it (the art) is mostly stolen. gently caress Scythe.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

GrandpaPants posted:

Scythe is a pretty mediocre game where the best part of it (the art) is mostly stolen. gently caress Scythe.

Yeah, it was a weird bummer to find this out. Explains so much about the art though.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Yeah, it was a weird bummer to find this out. Explains so much about the art though.
Don't suppose you have a handy link summarising that, do you? Unless you mean the basic concept of "a game based on that guy's artwork," I knew about that.

I remember being into Scythe as an idea but not liking the gameplay that much.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Don't suppose you have a handy link summarising that, do you? Unless you mean the basic concept of "a game based on that guy's artwork," I knew about that.

I remember being into Scythe as an idea but not liking the gameplay that much.

Dude's accused of tracing too much for his art.

Anyhoo~

Wargame Terrain, a wargaming blogging site has news on Produs selling their Aliens Vs Predator range, which is to be discontinued, for 40% off. This is neat if you want to have official figures for Xenomorphs or the elite, man-hunting race of aliens who can be defeated by autistic people as we have magic technology-figure-out-powers or something I didn't watch it but the reviews were less than stellar.

3 Predators for £18, the same but 'cloaked' for the same price, 5 Xenomorphs for £9, "Female yautja are larger and stronger than their male counterparts. While many sport prominent mammary glands-" :wink:
Predators also have doggos, apparently.

Talk 'bout pink tax when the lady-tor is £12 for one, and the dudes are £18 for 3. Anyway, you were probably never going to play the game but it might be nice to pull out a Big Chap for some other Sci-Fi game. 5 days left in the sale, then it's presumably gone forever. :rip:

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

I think it's important to distinguish here between things that aren't best practices, things that are outright bad, and things that are honestly standard practice. So using the image from the Reddit thread:

Bad
Copying the mecha design (the mecha design is, itself, art, so whatshisname shouldn't be copying someone elses art like that)

Using Bucky's face, which is sloppy and since it's from a film means, again, that he's using someone elses art

Copying straight from Bram Stoker's Drcula, same reasoning as above

The two drawings of the farmers is sort of borderline here, since the photos themselves may be art, and whathisname has to a greater or lesser degree copied that - not necessarily traced it, pay attention to the clothing folds on the resting farmer's backs - which is the kind of thing that you really need the entire context for: how much of whatshisname's drawing is those two farmers, how much of the original photo was those two farmers, what was the purpose of the original photo, etc. Just making a painting of some famous photo without attribution is bad, putting a copy of some minor background element of a photo in your own drawing as a minor background element is usually fine, and the sliding scale between those two is murky territory, ethics-wise.

Not Best Practices
Some of the stuff is really derivative, like the herd of pigs or the aforementioned farmers. Like, yeah, you need to use references but maybe whatshisname should have mixed things up a little bit more. The monowheel is kind of an edge case, too.

Honestly Standard Practice
Most of the rest of the examples. When you draw you're going to be working off references, and unless you're really, really skilled what you draw is going to end up looking like those references: if you want to draw a man on a horse with his sabre raised for a strike, chances are you're going to find a photo reference of a man on a horse with his sabre raised for a strike and draw that. Unless you're really, really good at drawing tigers, you're going to be looking at a photo of one and trying to make something that looks similar. There's not all that much wrong with using a photo of two WWI soldiers on horses in gasmasks as your basis for a drawing of soldiers on horses in gas masks. If you're going to draw a monowheel... well, you're probably going to be trying to make it look like an actual monowheel, so obviously you're going to use an actual monowheel as a reference, and if you've only got the monowheel you want to use as an inspiration from one angle, well, that's the angle you draw. (Though the pilot's pose is perhaps not best practice...)

Not Even Remotely Bad
Beyond that, the claims he's making fake tutorials seems a bit unfounded to me, and the claims that his motifs are very similar to Dust Tactics and Stalenhag's art is, well, yes. They're all a kind of WWI-50s retrofuturism. This was popular way before 2013, and it's not wrong of whatshisname to say in 2013 "I want to improve my art and draw retrofuturist stuff with WWII aesthetics". That's like, yeah.

So there's some bad stuff here, but the Reddit posts blows it out of proportion and makes some claims that seem a bit unfounded.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
This thread usually focuses on the deals!

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

LatwPIAT posted:

I think it's important to distinguish here between things that aren't best practices, things that are outright bad, and things that are honestly standard practice. So using the image from the Reddit thread:

So there's some bad stuff here, but the Reddit posts blows it out of proportion and makes some claims that seem a bit unfounded.

Thanks, this was informative!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
New Bundle of Holding on a game called Neoclassical Revival. Anyone know anything about it?

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006
which means Magical Space Unicorn

I think I'm at the point where I won't give OSR stuff the benefit of the doubt, like, at all, especially when part of the pitch is that the author has written for LotFP. If the author is actively feminist and a good person and whatever, great, but I'm not even going to put in the energy to seek out that information. And this completely sucks but I'm just so done.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

OSR new project workflow:

1. Is Kevin Crawford running it?
YES: :homebrew:
NO: Ignore

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Achmed Jones posted:

Pretty sound strategy

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Achmed Jones posted:

Perfect.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

One of the adventures the author published for it is called 'A Thousand Dead Babies'. That may give you an indication about how you feel about the product.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

But that's like a cent for two dead babies! That's value!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Just gotta get there early on trash removal day and you can really stock up on perfectly good dead babies completely free.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I enjoyed dumpster diving in college but once I was able to afford things the appeal declined.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Bundle of Holding has a few offers going. 2 for Fantasy Hero (GURPS-like, based off the system that Champions ran on), a combination of two source books for a very large dungeon and a very large city, Corporation RPG, and Mutant Epoch.

ME is a fairly zany Post-Apoc RPG that uses a system similar to the generic version of Call of Cthulhu, but worse in a few ways. You add your points (attributes and skills) subtract whatever opposes those (difficulty, or enemy attributes and skills) and try to roll under that number on d100. Not great, but there could be worse.

Art is so-so - the artist can draw three women: an ugly woman, a impossibly thin "beautiful" woman, and the former but she has two heads. Drawings of dudes are much more varied. Otherwise, it isn't terrible.

They put out free stuff occasionally, but one of these was a race of mutant women who are every negative stereotype of women, who are also three/four(?) legged and also wear a sort of thong, implying there's stuff that needs to be hidden between all these legs (cue "8 legs - seven vaginas" meme here) - but a lot of the artist's other women usually wear something similar so presumably they were on autopilot at the time :iiam:

However, rolling up a mutant is always fun!

I haven't read any of the setting stuff in any detail. Scattered towns of trading posts, etc. There's a couple adventures in an abandoned mall, a trading post examined in detail, etc.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Looks like Troika! is up for free today, I suggest you give it a look, it's delightful.
https://twitter.com/Ignus1/status/1139880919173611521?s=19

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That would have been cool if he hadn't ended it at 7pm for no clear reason.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It looks like he's in the UK, so he might have set it to end at midnight there without thinking about it.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Copperhead County is 20% off, a Forged in the Dark game set in a 201X fictional county in Tennessee.
https://zzzwizard.itch.io/copperhead

It's gonna go up in price soon too, so jump now.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Hack and Slash Publishing posted:

Summer is upon us, and with that a trinity of tax bills, medical bills, and summer camp bills for my wonderful little girl.
So we are having a very big sale.
Everything on the DriveThroughRPG storefront is 10% off all week
We are also going to be running daily specials every day! You can save money, get great gaming products, and help out an artist!
Today! For the first time since its publication in 2013:
The bestselling "On the Non-Player Character" is on sale.
Not just 'any' sale. It's 5.99 for the .pdf!
The normal paperback price is 29.99, and .pdf price of 19.99. Five years after release, the print price was dropped to 19.99, and the .pdf price was dropped to 9.99$. After today at the stroke of somewhere near midnight, it'll return to its standard price. This is the first time I've ever cut the price on this book in a sale. I use it for every game I ever run. It is always by my side.
What is it?
I've uncovered a hidden social combat system within Dungeons & Dragons since the beginning.
I've navigated a method of resolving social situations via player skill, rather than by personal social skill or by character skill. This is a mechanical solution to provide objectivity for social interactions and relies on your ability to gather information and make intelligent choices (i.e. player skill) for success.
That's not even the majority of the book. There's also useful tables and systems for generating memorable and immediately gameable long term non-player characters. I worked very hard to insure that you would never get a result and think "How am I going to get that to come up during a game?!"
It works seamlessly with whatever version of the classic game you are playing (including 5th edition!) . It doesn't require anything from your players other than what they do now. They continue to interact with the game world as they always have, but you simply have an objective, impartial method of resolving their actions. This means it eliminates Dungeon Master mind reading, "Mother may I?" play, and pixel bitching.
Players don't need to master any new skills - the player skills they have will work just fine. There's no chance for anyone to have a game-breaking diplomancer, but now an 18 Charisma can actually be useful in concrete specific ways, as much as an 18 Strength can be.
This sale will end tonight at 12pm, and a new exciting special will be announced tomorrow! We'll have a different special every day this week!

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Does someone seriously think a $29.99 book is required for players interacting with NPCs?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Checked the preview and don't really understand how this book is supposed to help or why I should buy it. I don't think it ever got to the point.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
'Objective Resolution Of Social Encounters'

Okay, so the intended audience appears to be people who are not terribly socially adept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Only posted it as I noticed the product before, how ridiculously expensive it was for a 63 page pdf and I'm fairly sure that there was a review left either on DriveThruRPG, RPGNow or Lulu with the author responding angrily to a "yikes, the price tag!" comment, although I can't find it anymore - not least because RPGNow got memory hole'd.