Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

quote:

Banning politicians wouldn’t be accepted by society as a trade-off for flagging all of the white supremacist propaganda

that's less of a trade-off and more of a bonus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
what if it was considered bad for politicians to spout white supremacist propaganda

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

It's not fair for society to arrest people for committing murder. What about all the rich white republicans who like to torture poor people to death in their mansions for fun? They would get unfairly pulled in by this completely ridiculous dragnet.

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back

Koishi Komeiji posted:

It's not fair for society to arrest people for committing murder. What about all the rich white republicans who like to torture poor people to death in their mansions for fun? They would get unfairly pulled in by this completely ridiculous dragnet.

It's like how UK dipshits get into a froth about the scary browns forming "rape gangs" while conveniently overlooking the fact that their entire government pretty much was and is a pedophile ring

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

do it you coward

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
ok people stop telling jack to ban the nazis and start telling him to ban the republicans

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

vyelkin posted:

ok people stop telling jack to ban the nazis and start telling him to ban the republicans

I love how the media is acting shocked that Republicans are Nazis

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

General Dog posted:

Isn't part 2 a company trying to avoid the criticism that the company in part 1 is running into?

both part 1 and part 2 are the companis giving preferential treatment to right wing governments (the spanish government has been undertaking an entirely trumped-up criminal investigation of podemos for months now to among other things use the spy agencies to tap their phones and comb through their finances. the government most likely asked facebook to shut it down

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Yeah the point of the article is that a large chunk of the population views racism as a legitimate policy position that is not okay to suppress

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

they already made it official website policy that none of the rules like the one against inciting violence dont apply to trump, i dont see why they think they cant have a double standars on speech when they already do

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Main Paineframe posted:

so if you see your child freaking out on camera, you can talk to them without having to walk all the way to their room

or so you can ask the guy knocking on your front door why he's there, without having to open it

or other various borderline-sociopathic things along those lines

most consumer-use internet cameras these days have intercom functionality so that whoever is monitoring them can talk to whoever the camera is watching

getting a wifi babby monitor in the first place is dumb as gently caress, why would i need to go that far away from my sleeping child for long enough to need it

also yeah lots of them have mics on both ends now. friends of ours told us how their toddler figured it out and now says HELP MAMA to it while crying when they wake up in the middle of the night

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think what it boils down to for Twitter is that it would just be bad business to alienate the right-wing, as it's not like there's some great untapped market of potential posters on the left who would come in to replace them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
that’s kind of assuming all republicans are white supremists which is awfully progressive of you

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

General Dog posted:

I think what it boils down to for Twitter is that it would just be bad business to alienate the right-wing, as it's not like there's some great untapped market of potential posters on the left who would come in to replace them.

the market demands that nazis post freely. if anything were done to stop them, twitter would make less money, which is Bad

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

A thunk so massive, so potent, that it absorbs all light around it and radiates with the power of a star

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1121513176946835456?s=19

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Kobayashi posted:

I love how the media is acting shocked that Republicans are Nazis

media is nazis too

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

General Dog posted:

theyre afraid of being regulated if they lose the image of impartiality

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i remember about a decade ago when home webcams were becoming ubiquitous and not just those little weird spheres there was a website for unsecured webcam feeds, it was just little aggregated pages of links to tens of thousands of webcam feeds. you could just watch people going about their business at home, mostly in China, and it was one of the weirder dystopian panopticon experiences ive had

ed: oh it still exists, its just mostly business and public feeds now, though

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

i read somewhere that bumble monetizes itself by having a digital currency that allows you to pay like 5 bucks to force someone to notice that you swiped on them, essentially promoted swipes. super dystopian and creepy

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Farm Frenzy posted:

theyre afraid of being regulated if they lose the image of impartiality

well, no, because they have no such compunctions about cracking down on leftists

what they're afraid of is pissing off celebrities, sitting politicians, and anyone else with the power to impact Twitter's business. and basically none of those are leftists

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

i feel like its bad to force a "revolutionary AI" to do nothing but look at dick pics all day but then i remember that neither of those words mean anything in silicon valley language

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

vyelkin posted:

i feel like its bad to force a "revolutionary AI" to do nothing but look at dick pics all day but then i remember that neither of those words mean anything in silicon valley language

Bad Cyberpunk Novel Idea #68291: AI revolt wherein robots use small guillotines to censor dicks IRL

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lmfao

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

vyelkin posted:

By "revolutionary AI" you mean farm it out to some minimum wage part timers in a strip mall somewhere, right?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

vyelkin posted:

i feel like its bad to force a "revolutionary AI" to do nothing but look at dick pics all day

butter_passing_robot.gif

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

Nothus posted:

By "revolutionary AI" you mean farm it out to some minimum wage part timers in a strip mall somewhere, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvn-hpZdElo

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/ecgade/status/1120410934021906438

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

It's like uber but for critical health services :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhS4uq5ITHk

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

So how long before we disrupt organ donation with OrganLggr?

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

EMS is bad enough already without slathering "gig economy" bullshit on top. That's gotta suck for both patients and medics

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lol if that were twitter's real problem they could just whitelist the political accounts, no muss no fuss

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

RudeCat posted:

So how long before we disrupt organ donation with OrganLggr?

Oh they're already working on that but you'll need to be platinum level or be part of a corporate account that is unless you're just "donating" some spare parts.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

SardonicTyrant posted:

Unregistered Hyperpram

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
freedom of twitter speech for us politicians only

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

CharlestheHammer posted:

that’s kind of assuming all republicans are white supremists which is awfully progressive of you

if you openly campaign as a republican in 2019, you are a nazi, sorry

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kobayashi posted:

if you openly campaign as a republican in 2019, you are a nazi, sorry

oh I know, just weird to hear General Dog admit it

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also yeah lots of them have mics on both ends now. friends of ours told us how their toddler figured it out and now says HELP MAMA to it while crying when they wake up in the middle of the night

Uh, lots of kids cry for mama when they're unhappy. What?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

look some republicans find the nazism crude but know they need to hold their nose and go along with it to keep their taxes low

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Outrail posted:

Uh, lots of kids cry for mama when they're unhappy. What?

right he’s saying the kid is looking at the camera instead of the door while saying it