Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

:dance: ohboyohboyohboy :dance:

And pussy's half price for the next fifteen minutes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ_TUNsQ-K4&t=240s

It makes sense that the movie is it but it is still sad to hear.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

You know, I don't think I've ever actually heard him speak in an interview where he really let his natural accent hang out like that. Even when he's playing a British character, I'm fairly sure he doesn't usually sound like that. I mean, he could be playing an old fella from the North, I guess? I only know enough about British regional dialects to say that he's definitely speaking in SOME kind of Northern English accent.

I feel like I must have seen him do interviews in America, but again, I think he may use his "American" speaking in voice when doing publicity for American Gods or something? Maybe I'm totally wrong and I've somehow just never seen him interviewed.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I always thought it was weird that Ellsworth tells Swearengen "that limey accent of yours" in episode 1, because he sounds 100% American to me.

But as I type this I think someone explained to me that Swearengen's slightly more contemporary accent is what the Brits used to sound like? And maybe I've posted this before, sorry.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
It's almost here! Christ knows we've earned it!

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

davidspackage posted:

I always thought it was weird that Ellsworth tells Swearengen "that limey accent of yours" in episode 1, because he sounds 100% American to me.

But as I type this I think someone explained to me that Swearengen's slightly more contemporary accent is what the Brits used to sound like? And maybe I've posted this before, sorry.

I always thought that like, the "slightly British" accent he uses in Deadwood was probably a better indication of how fairly well educated Americans who grew up in cities (Swearengen was from Chicago unless I'm mistaken) probably sounded a bit like at the time - a hint of something like Received Pronunciation from school most likely, but an accent that's fairly close to standard Midwestern American English today, at least in Al's case.. Whereas a fella like Ellsworth or most of the Deadwood denizens would have mongrel regional accents from all sorts of places.

This is pretty consistent, too - educated politicians (Commisioner Jarry for example) as well as, say, Geologists (Francis Wolcott) spoke with a more measured and "British" sounding voice despite being American through-and-through, but in truth I'm fairly sure it was just the way that any proper gentleman who went through schooling spoke at that time, whether they were British or American.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

kaworu posted:

I always thought that like, the "slightly British" accent he uses in Deadwood was probably a better indication of how fairly well educated Americans who grew up in cities (Swearengen was from Chicago unless I'm mistaken) probably sounded a bit like at the time - a hint of something like Received Pronunciation from school most likely, but an accent that's fairly close to standard Midwestern American English today, at least in Al's case.. Whereas a fella like Ellsworth or most of the Deadwood denizens would have mongrel regional accents from all sorts of places.

This is pretty consistent, too - educated politicians (Commisioner Jarry for example) as well as, say, Geologists (Francis Wolcott) spoke with a more measured and "British" sounding voice despite being American through-and-through, but in truth I'm fairly sure it was just the way that any proper gentleman who went through schooling spoke at that time, whether they were British or American.

I always thought Ellsworth was just using "British" as an insult to describe any sort of sophistication, the same way they'd call you a "celestial" and wouldn't be too concerned if you were from China or Thailand or wherever. An example of the ignorance of the frontier that Ellsworth says he's got a British accent when he really means "You have a large vocabulary and don't speak with a folksy twang."

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 23, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pretty sure Al was sold to an orphanage when he was a kid and was abused all the time. Don't know if I'd call that a "sophisticated education."

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

seaborgium posted:

Did anyone see Tom Nuddall? I loved that dude, and now I really need to finish my rewatch. I'm most of the way through season 3.

I just finished S3 Ep5, which had the brutal Dan & the Captain fight and the Hostetler and Steve livery deal, and Bullock leading Hearst off to jail by the ear. What a masterpiece of an episode.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

tomapot posted:

I just finished S3 Ep5, which had the brutal Dan & the Captain fight and the Hostetler and Steve livery deal, and Bullock leading Hearst off to jail by the ear. What a masterpiece of an episode.

First time I watched that fight, drat I was worried for Dan. That was a loving hell of a fight.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Needed more cowboy roundhouses.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

seaborgium posted:

First time I watched that fight, drat I was worried for Dan. That was a loving hell of a fight.

I legit thought he was going to die, it's one of the most incredible scenes of television I've ever seen.

If I remember right, doesn't Dan basically not feature at all in the next episode(s?) because he's recovering from the damage he took as well? I loved that just because he won he wasn't just up and about again the next episode.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Jerusalem posted:

I legit thought he was going to die, it's one of the most incredible scenes of television I've ever seen.

If I remember right, doesn't Dan basically not feature at all in the next episode(s?) because he's recovering from the damage he took as well? I loved that just because he won he wasn't just up and about again the next episode.

Yeah he was out for a couple, recovering physically and psychologically. Led to one of Al's best lines, even. ("Some poo poo's best walked through alone.")

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://tvline.com/2019/04/23/david-milch-alzheimers-diagnosis-deadwood/

David Milch has alzheimer's. He said he started having symptoms five years ago but was officially diagnosed last year. Sucks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh no, that's loving awful :smith:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Yeah but on the upside he might forget about John from Cincinnati.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Yeah but on the upside he might forget about John from Cincinnati.

:omarcomin:

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Rewatching all the seasons in preparation, although it’s husband’s first viewing. I was contemplating skipping the third season since it was so frustrating, but then I’d have to explain what happens to Ellsworth. :(

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0WrXmhvXTA

Just over a month till cocksucker time

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Man this looks more awesome every shot

Edit: sounds more awesome, too
"Hearst wont take long before he honors the rigors of his putrid fuckin nature"

Asbury fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 25, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is Hearst now a San Francisco cock sucka?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Hearst Corporation does own the San Francisco Chronicle newspaper.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
drat it will be nice watching a prestige HBO show with actual good writing* again, even if only for a couple hours.

*aside from Barry

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Al still rocking the same suit

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

gently caress it’s good seeing Olyphant in a hat holding a gun again

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Was not expecting Colter Wall to show up in the background of the Trailer but that's awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l4gdhPqh3E

His voice is unreal

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The upside of this bizarro reality indeed, goddamn this looks good.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I've seen multiple trailers now that have actual footage and I still can't believe this movie exists and is releasing soon

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Mandrel posted:

gently caress it’s good seeing Olyphant in a hat holding a gun again

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Poster

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
This looks like the movie will follow the plot of Stephen King's It: the monster is back and the old gang has to get back together to kill it.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

This looks like the movie will follow the plot of Stephen King's It: the monster is back and the old gang has to get back together to kill it.

Lol except the monster wins the first time and then rides away in a wagon

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Where can one purchase this?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Farrier Theaks posted:

Lol except the monster wins the first time and then rides away in a wagon

In the real world, the monster wins and rides away in a wagon.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

In the real world, the monster wins and rides away in a wagon.

Unless they plan on going full on Inglorious Basterds, Hearst is going to win again.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

What if Hearst is not at odds with them this time. :monocle:

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Hearst is actually on a My Name is Earl style journey of karmic retribution and he brings everyone back to Deadwood so he can apologize to them personally.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I feel like this is gonna be more of an epilogue and not a climax

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

plz dont pull out posted:

Hearst is actually on a My Name is Earl style journey of karmic retribution and he brings everyone back to Deadwood so he can apologize to them personally.

"Most of the time, that's what life is: one vile loving task after another."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Solice Kirsk posted:

What if Hearst is not at odds with them this time. :monocle:

Spoilers based on the new trailer: Hearst is probably at odds with them this time.