Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Jedi is not underpowered once you level. At the beginning it is, but you do get ranged with lightsaber throw, and once you get the lightsaber throw that hits *all visible enemies* then it's overpowered, IMO.

A max upgraded lightsaber with the right crystals does like 18 damage with a 30% crit rate / 5 points piercing / 5 points shredding or something like that, and that's against every target.

Jedi's also have force heal, and they can jump onto roofs. They also get force-phantom, and permanent domination, as well as force-armor. On top of that you can use battle meditation to turn them into a mimic beacon and draw all fire and be invulnerable, allowing you one free turn for all troops for repositioning / reloading.

The trick comes with managing the force points, as something like lightsaber telekinesis will drain it all.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Grounded UFOs in XCOM 2 are kind of like supply raids and have some of the same crates lying around, but you don't ever get the prompt that you should avoid damaging stuff. Do you lose rewards if you do? I can see it being an oversight that they didn't warn you.

Also in EU/EW, do you lose out on alloys if you destroy UFO walls?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
no and yes respectively, though in the latter case the loss is quite small for only one or two holes in the ship.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
Anyone trying the new alpha for Long war? I played quite a bit back before WotC but couldn’t bring myself to go back after all the awesome stuff that got added.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Better to make a hole in a UFO that lets you better decide the battleground than risk losing a soldier to some awkward cover.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

2 SPOOKY posted:

Anyone trying the new alpha for Long war? I played quite a bit back before WotC but couldn’t bring myself to go back after all the awesome stuff that got added.

I tried it. It was alpha for sure. My game bugged out at the "autopsy an advent officer corpse" part. No matter how many corpses I had the option to start the autopsy never populated in the science section of the avenger.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Haven't played in a long while. Do I need to re-download all my mods after the last DLC (Legacy stuff) or am I ok?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Vincent posted:

Haven't played in a long while. Do I need to re-download all my mods after the last DLC (Legacy stuff) or am I ok?

you shouldn't need to redownload everything but clearing out and resetting the config folder couldn't hurt

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I’m just done with beagles second latest entry ufo defense was really insane and the loving chryssalids man. Jesus gently caress those fucks.

I feel like they should have bladestorm at least because loving lost has it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I miss Tentaculuts. Nothing quite like a surprise Tentaculut or two to suddenly spice things up!

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Serephina posted:

I miss Tentaculuts. Nothing quite like a surprise Tentaculut or two to suddenly spice things up!

I have nightmares about those fuckers. Until you get DPLs and simply raze the whole map at the start of the level, alien installations and colonies were exercises in sheer terror.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Word to the wise re: the Even More Maps! mod, it can spawn supply raids that don’t have supplies in them, ie maps that start with 0 crates. Even if you survive the mission, it will count as a failure and you’ll lose a region.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Serephina posted:

I miss Tentaculuts.

Words I never thought I'd see :stare: Every now and again, I think about trying to re-start TFTD and get all the way through it, but I never end up making it. The difficulty is too much, I can't deal with psionic tasoths, tentaculats, and lobstermen that are bigger dicks than they have any right to be.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

The only positive thing about tentaculats is that you don't find them on land missions. Imagine a cruise ship terror mission with these fuckers lurking in closets, nooks and crannies, getting out and zombifying the civilians.
The fucker @Microprose who thought making Chryssalids fly was a good idea should have been flogged. My childhood was scarred due to this.

Case in point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WziO005uM3g

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Apr 28, 2019

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Dante80 posted:

The only positive thing about tentaculats is that you don't find them on land missions. Imagine a cruise ship terror mission with these fuckers lurking in closets, nooks and crannies, getting out and zombifying the civilians.
The fucker @Microprose who thought making Chryssalids fly was a good idea should have been flogged. My childhood was scarred due to this.

Case in point.

I especially liked his way of dealing with bio-drones in enclosed spaces, and luring out that lobsterman that is always hiding in a closet somewhere :allears:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Dante80 posted:

Case in point.

Totally not emptyquoting.

Well actually, to really not empptyquote:

Trying out the Xenonauts 2 dev build gave me a hankering for some proper oldschool X-Com gameplay, so I grabbed OpenXcom and fired up Ye Olde Grandpappy. And just, goddamn it's amazing how well this sucker stands up to this day when shored up with some modern conveniences. Thinking of looking into some mods to beef up the content a bit, anyone have any recommendations?

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

you're allowed to emptyquote on this website that invented empty quoting

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

and this thread specifically has no beefs with emptyquoting, known good way to show your approval and agreement

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I've seen that video a million times and it's still funny and worth a click.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Nordick posted:

Totally not emptyquoting.

Well actually, to really not empptyquote:

Trying out the Xenonauts 2 dev build gave me a hankering for some proper oldschool X-Com gameplay, so I grabbed OpenXcom and fired up Ye Olde Grandpappy. And just, goddamn it's amazing how well this sucker stands up to this day when shored up with some modern conveniences. Thinking of looking into some mods to beef up the content a bit, anyone have any recommendations?

X-Com Files, X-Piratez, the 40k mod.... What kind of mods do you want?

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Nordick posted:

I made a mod forever ago to add alien hybrids as a soldier you can get. It might even still work with the newest nightlies.

Otherwise I personally just like throwing in the cover aliens mod and maybe a mod that adds more alien weapons. I'm not huge on the big mod packs since they all seem to stretch the game out forever.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

I've seen that video a million times and it's still funny and worth a click.

I do like that WoTC never threw me into an unwinnable fight like that. For all the other bullshit it did, there weren’t enemies that were effectively immune to small-arms fire (while your magazine size was artificially deflated), and could fly around underwater while your team was steadily becoming a group of berserk alien puppets, or zombies waiting to spawn another tentacled nightmare that hungered for living flesh. Come to think of it, the first XCOM was a drive through UFO lore of the times, and the TFTD was a deep dive ( :haw: ) into some Lovecraftian terror (Deep Ones, The Ancient Dreamer, Tentaculats described as “Lovecraftian nightmares” in their UFOpedia entry, etc). Both were cool concepts, but neither really aged well (UFO lore kind of died out, and Lovecraft’s racism was almost a central theme of everything beyond the unknowable terror of the cosmos).

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

StrixNebulosa posted:

X-Com Files, X-Piratez, the 40k mod.... What kind of mods do you want?

Well, I was more thinking of stuff that expands the campaign rather than total conversions like Xpiratez. Looking at the mod site, Area 51 looks like the right kind of thing on the surface. Anyone here with firsthand experience of how stable/functional/well executed it is?

Might give X-Com Files a spin too.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
To get my feet wet with modding, I think I'm gonna try to rip the Infantry from the Shadow Ops Perk Pack. Some of the classes in that pack are great, but Hunter and Survivalist are terrible and I hate that it disables the basic classes.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Bogart posted:

To get my feet wet with modding, I think I'm gonna try to rip the Infantry from the Shadow Ops Perk Pack. Some of the classes in that pack are great, but Hunter and Survivalist are terrible and I hate that it disables the basic classes.

I've been using the pack in my last run. I agree the Hunter is a bit meh, but my top Survivalist is goddamn ridiculously powerful. I've just had her use an assault rifle, and she just effortlessly murks everything at any goddamn range she drat well pleases.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I usually just pulled together a class pack meshed from LW and Shadow Ops comprising of the Shinobi and Sharpshooter from Long War (modified to use pistols instead of the holotargetter) and then the Combat Engineer, Dragoon, Infantry and Juggernaut from Shadow Ops. That at least gives a good spread of classes and weapons without having class overload and avoids a lot of the more gimmicky classes from both packa.

And honestly I could cut Juggernaut since I think the Gauntlet is pretty poo poo, but I'm a sucker for Cannon using classes.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I modded just enough to buff the gauntlet so Juggernaut is consistently good in any configuration.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Get rid of the spread in the gauntlet and make fire better and the Jugg is fine.

Nordick posted:

I've been using the pack in my last run. I agree the Hunter is a bit meh, but my top Survivalist is goddamn ridiculously powerful. I've just had her use an assault rifle, and she just effortlessly murks everything at any goddamn range she drat well pleases.

Honestly didn’t know they could swap to rifles.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
I'm starting to dip my toes back into modding, and I have a quick question about how the abilities at Squaddie level work. Is it hardcoded/tough to change that soldiers get all abilities listed under the Squaddie rank (such as SPARKS getting all their unlisted stuff and then the listed Overdrive ability), or can you make it so that soldiers have to choose from one of several perks at promotion?

Also, the map type (interior facility) that Beagle's finishing up a mission on right now is super cool.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
How's Beagle playing with Reapers? It was my understanding that LW2 doesn't support WotC?

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Furism posted:

How's Beagle playing with Reapers? It was my understanding that LW2 doesn't support WotC?

You are correct, he isn't playing LW2 though. Also there is a port to WotC underway if you are interested in LW2 stuff.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
For whatever reason I had much less trouble with Tentaculats vs Chryssalids. I think not appearing in missions with civilians nerfs them a lot, and though they might fly, this avoids the sort of hiding around a corner scenario you see with chryssalids. They also take bonus damage from sonic weapons and when fired on from below.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Furism posted:

Not gone far in that playlist (I'm around the 5th mission or so), but I think he not using LW2 but a number of known mods with custom balance options.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Fangz posted:

For whatever reason I had much less trouble with Tentaculats vs Chryssalids. I think not appearing in missions with civilians nerfs them a lot, and though they might fly, this avoids the sort of hiding around a corner scenario you see with chryssalids. They also take bonus damage from sonic weapons and when fired on from below.

I found them extremely disagreeable, since you can cheese a lot easier with Chryssalids by just hovering around. They also have more TU and health than them. In superhuman, I can find them sometimes before I get blasta rifles, with hilarious results on my squads.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I typically got the flying armour super late in XCOM 1 so the fact you can fly over Chryssalids didn't do me much good. It was the combination of 'you gotta move fast or all the civvies will be chryssalids' and 'if your squad stumbles on an unseen chryssalid without TUs to spare they are dead meat' that made the original chryssalid such a nightmare.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 29, 2019

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Fangz posted:

I typically got the flying armour super late in XCOM 1 so the fact you can fly over Chryssalids didn't do me much good. It was the combination of 'you gotta move fast or all the civvies will be chryssalids' and 'if your squad stumbles on an unseen chryssalid without TUs to spare they are dead meat' that made the original chryssalid such a nightmare.

I never played much TFTD but this nails the reason Chryssalid terror missions are so horrifying in OG XCom. There's nothing quite like having two squaddies spot one, spend all their TUs bouncing bullets off of its exoskeleton, and then watching the Chryssalid cheerfully sprint through reaction fire from all of the remaining squad members and zombie one of your squaddies. Then a stray shot hits the zombie on your turn, oh god, now there are two Chryssalids. Meanwhile every turn is a cacophony of mauling noises and civilian screams.

e: I will say that, while XCom 2 doesn't quite achieve the same "oh Jesus just get back in the air and nuke the whole city" effect with its Chryssalids, their burrowing/ambush mechanic is loving nasty and a very clever way to make them a unique threat without also making them total bullshit in terror missions. I've had a burrowed Chryssalid nearly one-shot my Reaper before. I managed to save her, but that one unpleasant surprise turned what should have been a cakewalk mission into a stressful slog that had me sweating right up until the mission clear screen appeared.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 29, 2019

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The real bullshit in TFTD is the Lobstermen anyway.

"Hey let's put in as a standard mid-game enemy type a guy that is immune to mid-tier weapons, whose weak point is melee weapons which require an easily missable early game autopsy...." And of course this is in the OG XCOM interface where you have no idea how much damage you are doing.

EDIT: another amusing fact is that XCOM1's zombie spawned chryssalids were unaffected by the difficulty glitch....

Fangz fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 29, 2019

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Retaliarion missions in XCOM2 would be totally bullshit if all enemy pods were active and hunting civilians right at the start. Bonus comedy: 2 people from your squad got murdered from an unseen rear end in a top hat off-screen after their first step out of the deployment zone, and your only indication was that they were de-selected. No scream, no sound of gunfire, your dude just got ghosted by an aquatoid that remembers when they used to roam the stars and blames humanity for their downfall.

I may try to fire up TFTD tonight :getin:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

tentaculats showed up much, much later in TFTD than chryssalids showed up in UFO. chryssalids would routinely show up in month 2, whereas tentaculats would be month 5 or 6. i don't disagree that they were rough, but comparatively you had so many more tools to handle their crap that they just don't present the same threat profile at all.

lobstermen definitely were the primary offender by virtue of saying 'naw' to shooting in a game that is almost entirely about shooting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

in my current playthrough my samurai got parkour as a random skillup option at level 2

in my current playthrough i'm using the skirmisher rebalance mod that changes parkour to +1 movement action

yeehaw