Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s definitely worth trying. It’s out of warranty but they may be cool and replace it with a newer one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
They did fix my S0 when the battery bulge popped the screen out. They have a longer warranty on the battery because it is a known issue. They replaced my S0 with a refurbished S0. (This was late last year)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
WatchOS5 doesn't support S0 Watch so you may as well upgrade.

bulbous nub
Jul 29, 2007

It's ok; I'm taking it back.
Lipstick Apathy

Hed posted:

I was using Apple Maps Navigation and during a vibration my screen popped off. It still works 100%. Will the Apple Store still do anything for me?

It's an S0 gifted to me in December 2015 and I was going to limp along until the fall for whatever gets released. I might get a latest one if the fruit stand will do anything but if not I might just epoxy it back and hope it buys me a few months.

Definitely looks like a swollen battery from the picture. It's covered for free for up to three years from initial purchase date or the Apple Store should be able to send it out at battery rate $79+tax.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks guys. They agreed it was a swollen battery but since it was 5 months out of warranty they were going to take 7 business days and $79 (battery replacement cost) to fix it. After some epoxy and time in the bench vise, it is back in service and hopefully will last until whatever gets released next.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Hed posted:

Thanks guys. They agreed it was a swollen battery but since it was 5 months out of warranty they were going to take 7 business days and $79 (battery replacement cost) to fix it. After some epoxy and time in the bench vise, it is back in service and hopefully will last until whatever gets released next.

While I commend your ingenuity, you know a swollen battery isn't anything to gently caress with, especially one that's sitting on your wrist.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Hed posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SMy2_qNO2Y0

This is what happens to swollen li-ion batteries when they rupture fyi. Skip to 1:50.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Boris Galerkin posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SMy2_qNO2Y0

This is what happens to swollen li-ion batteries when they rupture fyi. Skip to 1:50.

Jesus Christ, I didn’t expect it to be that bad.

Don’t wear that watch anymore, bud.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"The ER said my wrist was out of warranty and it would be $50,000 and eight hours of surgery to repair so some vet wrap and a couple minutes hopefully it'll last until I can get a Terminator hand."

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Just get an S4 dude.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Please don't strap a swollen Li-ion battery to your body. :ohdear:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

withak posted:

Please don't strap a swollen Li-ion battery to your body. :ohdear:

Counter point do it and get a camera to follow you around so you can post the video in the schad thread.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Hed posted:

Using some epoxy, one day soon you will be fitting an Apple Watch into a slot on your new prosthetic hand.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks guys, I guess I’ll regift it to someone I hate then

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sell it eBay for parts and buy a S3 for $200 if you're looking for a deal.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

FCKGW posted:

If it explodes on the person opening it would it be a felony since it was shipped across state lines?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Yeah or Walmart

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah or Walmart

Yeah it’s $199 for the 38mm at Amazon and $229 for the 42mm at Walmart right now. I think the cellular is on sale at a couple places too.

I got my S3 42mm for $169 a couple weeks ago :smugdog:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The S4 38mm has the same screen size as the S3 42mm and doesn't feel like you're strapping a brick to your arm. :v:

Well, not as much. All Apple watches stick out from my wrist a goofy amount. But the 38mm doesn't jam into the back of my hand when I bend my wrist back.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

I got my S3 42mm for $169 a couple weeks ago :smugdog:

drat that’s a killer deal.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

drat that’s a killer deal.

I got kind of lucky. It was from an electronics refurbisher on eBay selling stock of "Grade A" open box watches, but mine still had the plastic on and was never activated so it was brand new.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

I got kind of lucky. It was from an electronics refurbisher on eBay selling stock of "Grade A" open box watches, but mine still had the plastic on and was never activated so it was brand new.

Yeah that’s why I’m not so sure I’ll buy a recent gen watch anymore. I’ll just wait till the 5th gen has been out for a bit and get it then.

My 3rd is still going strong and I had my 0 for a good 3 years before the battery took a poo poo.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Series 4 have been popping up on Apple' refurb store. If you have a series 0 or looking for your first watch, I highly recommend it instead of the prior models.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

Series 4 have been popping up on Apple' refurb store. If you have a series 0 or looking for your first watch, I highly recommend it instead of the prior models.

Ditto. I replaced my 0 with a 4 and I’m so happy. Calling the first one series 0 is pretty appropriate since it feels like alpha software compared to the 4.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I banged my series 3 on something like a dingus and scratched it a bit. Nothing too bad, but enough to be annoying. Is there anything that can be done to “buff out” the scratches? I’ve seen some people recommend the old toothpaste on a CD trick but that doesn’t seem like it would work here.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I also replaced my zero with a 4 and I love it. It’s so quick and useful.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Warbird posted:

I banged my series 3 on something like a dingus and scratched it a bit. Nothing too bad, but enough to be annoying. Is there anything that can be done to “buff out” the scratches? I’ve seen some people recommend the old toothpaste on a CD trick but that doesn’t seem like it would work here.

Did you get AppleCare? You could burn one of your replacements.

Violator
May 15, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

I also replaced my zero with a 4 and I love it. It’s so quick and useful.

I kinda feel like people who get the Watch nowadays don’t understand how good they are compared to what they were. I went from a 0 to a 3 and it was night and day. You get a Watch now and it’s as fast and useful as you would expect, but the first five years or whatever just weren’t very good overall.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Getting a S4 now would be a good idea anyways, I can't really imagine the 5 being a huge overhaul or anything like that.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Jose Oquendo posted:

Did you get AppleCare? You could burn one of your replacements.

Nope!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My S2 is ridiculously slow and I'm just holding out until the fall for an S5.

ashrum3
Feb 16, 2019
glad i read this i am going out to buy one tomorrow

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I’m going to test this some more tomorrow, but wanted to post first in case I forget. I charge my LTE S4 using the basic charger that came in the box via USB from my computer. The cable never gets unplugged or anything, it’s been in the same port since I got it. Today I noticed my watch’s battery was super low, around like 36%, around 3:30pm, and by 5pm it was down to under 20, despite me having spent an hour in a meeting where I didn’t use my watch or phone for anything. I honestly cannot remember if the watch was fully charged this morning since I was in a rush to get out the door, but I’ve never had a charging problem with it before. So I’m not sure if the battery really was draining super quick or if it started the day low to begin with.

When I got home I immediately put it on the charger at 15%, and it acknowledged that it had been connected to a charger and showed the circle thing to indicate as such; but about two hours later I checked on it and it was down to 12%. I unplugged the cable from my PC, which made the noise to indicate it recognized it being unplugged, and then plugged it back in which seemed to work and it started actually charging.

tl;dr Anyone ever had to replace a charging cable for their watch because it stopped passing a charge through it, or their battery deplete super fast while being in range of their phone?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I think the laptop may have detected an overcurrent and turned off the USB port.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I have to exercise 45 minutes a day every day for the next 31 days. :great:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I have to exercise 55 minutes a day every day for the next 31 days. :great:

Mine for April was close all 3 rings every day for the month. Lol I was traveling on the first and had 0 shot at it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

:suicide:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I had something like 55.000 kcal total for April, got sick, didn’t make it and now May is hitting my kcal goals 25 days which is super easy. Maybe I’ll turn the goals suggestion at the start of the week on again to make it a bit more of a challenge. :v:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

I’m going to test this some more tomorrow, but wanted to post first in case I forget. I charge my LTE S4 using the basic charger that came in the box via USB from my computer. The cable never gets unplugged or anything, it’s been in the same port since I got it. Today I noticed my watch’s battery was super low, around like 36%, around 3:30pm, and by 5pm it was down to under 20, despite me having spent an hour in a meeting where I didn’t use my watch or phone for anything. I honestly cannot remember if the watch was fully charged this morning since I was in a rush to get out the door, but I’ve never had a charging problem with it before. So I’m not sure if the battery really was draining super quick or if it started the day low to begin with.

When I got home I immediately put it on the charger at 15%, and it acknowledged that it had been connected to a charger and showed the circle thing to indicate as such; but about two hours later I checked on it and it was down to 12%. I unplugged the cable from my PC, which made the noise to indicate it recognized it being unplugged, and then plugged it back in which seemed to work and it started actually charging.

tl;dr Anyone ever had to replace a charging cable for their watch because it stopped passing a charge through it, or their battery deplete super fast while being in range of their phone?

I just looked down and noticed my watch is at 12%. I put it on the charger (wall plug) every night and make sure the charging circle shows up before I walk away. This has been happening to me a couple times a week for the past few months and is driving me insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I just looked down and noticed my watch is at 12%. I put it on the charger (wall plug) every night and make sure the charging circle shows up before I walk away. This has been happening to me a couple times a week for the past few months and is driving me insane.

Wipe and restore.