Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There's also kind of an issue with contrast in the UI. Everything's kind of that soft white marble texture, so a lot of things just blend together at a glance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

For comparison, here's EU4:

It's still kind of the same thing, but the counters are small enough that they don't overlap.

The lock icon is also in a much better place in EU4. Sometimes in Imperator you have to do some weird camera bullshit just to see the dumb movement lock icon because they put it in a place that's commonly overlapped by other army banners.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Ethiser posted:

Is there some sort of pop up that shows when someone joins a war? It’s kind of a pain to declare on someone not in an alliance or defensive pact and just have three other nations join in against you a few months in.

Also the AI sometimes just surrenders. I’m not sure what calculation it is using, sometimes they just full on surrender after one battle or when you take one province.

I think there's some AI issues which were gonna be addressed in a day 1 or 2 patch, related to being way til careful and eager to give up in a war.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

RabidWeasel posted:

The answer to all those questions is Johan, the same reason that the pops will forever have names that don't really make sense. The game is currently a huge blob of flavourless numbers which you strategically poke to make your numbers get bigger, I actually love this kind of gameplay but if you want a more structured game experience like EU4 is nowadays then yeah it's not going to satisfy.

I'm playing the Bosporan Kingdom and I maxed population growth and converted the gently caress out of the lovely heathens and eradicated their smelly culture in every province and holy poo poo look at those numbers go up :f5:

tbh I normally like that too, there's a reason I put so much time into Vicky 2, but in this case it just isn't quite coming together for me.

That said however, gently caress these Iberian assholes, I'm going to make a New New City whether they like it or not :arghfist:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I declared on Taexalia in Caledonia and it turns out there are two of them and now I'm in a loving forever war with the wrong one.
Dammit

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

steinrokkan posted:

So is this just the boring EU Rome game with more provinces, or is it actually worth the price?

It's not really that similar in a lot of ways but it is very similar in some ways. I guess it depends what you didn't like about EU: Rome, I hated the map setup and Imperator's is completely and utterly different so it's not a problem.

The game really feels like Johan went and lived in a cave by himself after EU: Rome was released and made a sequel without noticing that Paradox made any other games in the meantime. So it has some cool new / reworked stuff which is really good but it's also bafflingly short on what seem like obvious features to adapt from their other games, and the UI is shamelessly poor in places.

Ms Adequate posted:

tbh I normally like that too, there's a reason I put so much time into Vicky 2, but in this case it just isn't quite coming together for me.

That said however, gently caress these Iberian assholes, I'm going to make a New New City whether they like it or not :arghfist:

Honestly the major powers are probably going to feel a bit 'hollow' just because the AI isn't great and without coalitions etc. there isn't a great deal stopping you from throwing your weight around, so once you're big and rich enough you can play really badly and still achieve your goals. There's a really massive power difference between Carthage or Rome and some minor lovely tribes. Until the AI is good enough that it will actually come over and ruin your day, there isn't much scope for satisfying gameplay while starting out as a major power.

The Greece and Near / Middle East parts of the map have the most interesting stuff going on IMO. Try something like Armenia, where you're moderately powerful but all your pops are the wrong loving culture and religion and they're all lovely rear end in a top hat tribesmen wiping their asses on sticks and then scratching themselves with the poop sticks :argh:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The instant assimilation and religious conversion feels really wrong.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Okay, random question. What the heck do you do with religious power? I have a lot of it, and I dunno what it's really for.

Also, how bad is civil war, exactly? I got a couple idiots who raised 20,000 troops who are looking to start a war. If the civil war fires, will they get any more support of any kind? I'm wondering if it's okay to just let it fire then execute the instigators, or if I should avoid it at all costs.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

V for Vegas posted:

It is super fast, but then again it kinda....was then? Identities feel more fluid.

At least for tribes. Not for Greece or etc

I just got Raise Levies but I have no idea where I actually find that. Does anyone know?

Taear fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 25, 2019

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Okay, random question. What the heck do you do with religious power? I have a lot of it, and I dunno what it's really for.

There is a kind of hidden button on the religion screen that let's you boost stability

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

V for Vegas posted:

Yeah. It's the button awesome connection all over again.

I feel like one necessary thing to do for an overhaul mod for this is to make the gradual approach by way of governor policy the main way to accomplish religious and cultural conersion (also different governmental and religions should care more or less about religious and cultural unity) as well as pop promotion.

That runs into the problem of needing more stuff to spend power on. Especially religious is kind of problematic because its used for stability and situationally useful for conversion. This is unlikely EU4 where you also need admin power for teching, ideas, development and occasionally reducing autonomy, dumping all of it into stability whenever you had enough was never a no-brainer.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 26, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

the pole or the dole posted:

There is a kind of hidden button on the religion screen that let's you boost stability

I mean....it's the first thing the tutorial covers

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, but I'm at +2 stability and still got 1000 religious power. Is conversions, stability, and omens it? I'm swimming in this stuff here.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Yeah, but I'm at +2 stability and still got 1000 religious power. Is conversions, stability, and omens it? I'm swimming in this stuff here.

I've barely got any, you're pretty lucky! Why not get to +3 instead.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Yup. They kind of didn't come up with enough competing uses for most of the monarch points in this one (oratory is the one with the most uses). There's no-brainers for what to spend it on and when you vant do that it just accumulates.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I just went to war with Picenum early in the tutorial. My stack of 31k attacked a stack of 4k. We won, the battle result said we killed 400, the other army of 3.6k just disappeared. I didn't see it walk away or anything, where did it go? It never came back either and then I took over the province. :iiam:

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
So... am I expected to assimilate and convert every pop individually? Like is there a button to do those things en mass?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
So to anyone who looks at that lone tribe in Ireland and thinks easy beginner nation....don't. It is incredibly easy, because it's by far the most boring start i've seen in a Paradox game. Colonization is incredibly not fun as a mechanic and everyone on the island is same religion/culture...there's really nothing to do and boy is it slow.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Huskalator posted:

So... am I expected to assimilate and convert every pop individually? Like is there a button to do those things en mass?

You can do it via the macro builder.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Zeron posted:

So to anyone who looks at that lone tribe in Ireland and thinks easy beginner nation....don't. It is incredibly easy, because it's by far the most boring start i've seen in a Paradox game. Colonization is incredibly not fun as a mechanic and everyone on the island is same religion/culture...there's really nothing to do and boy is it slow.

I'm playing Ulaid and loving it, dunno what you mean.
Caledonia is right there.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Zeron posted:

see also: the one-city republics on the Horn of Africa

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

It's going reasonably well:
https://imgur.com/a/Hx0AscC

Although Rome has died which is surprising.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

This EULA issue sucks. Guessing it wont be fixed until tomorrow at the earliest. Was really hoping to play all day.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
There's this pretty awful bug where I only have the oratory skill to jail like 7 babies in the tutorial. Will this be fixed in the upcoming patch?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Huskalator posted:

There is: you can assign a province to do culture/religious conversion, but it takes time and generates +1.00 unrest in the province while you do it. I would really only do it manually if you have nothing else to spend it on or if there is less than 5 pops to convert/assimilate in a province, since it takes 50 scrolls to do the focus change.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Huh, my armies have stopped reinforcing, despite plenty of manpower and being stationed in my territory.

e; lost my connection to iron :(

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 26, 2019

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

either i'm really unlucky or these loving siege timers are messing with me

i think i watched a siege tick over at 42% like 10 times in a row without winning

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Progression systems often get mocked but playing imperator is putting into relief a bit how important it is for me. Even dumb as poo poo stuff like unlocking the next building type is a motivation to keep going,even if the difference is all in my head. What seems like the lack of anything like that hurts a bit imo. Maybe that’s just me though.

Unrelatedly, or maybe semi-relatedly, anyone know how you get that map editor and stuff going? Is it through a startup command?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So I get that the different population types do different things, like Slaves for taxes, and citizens for research. Are there any penalties for stacking a province with slaves to boost taxes? I get that you want to do this to some extent, but can you make a province entirely slaves? and if so, will it directly cause problems?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zotix posted:

So I get that the different population types do different things, like Slaves for taxes, and citizens for research. Are there any penalties for stacking a province with slaves to boost taxes? I get that you want to do this to some extent, but can you make a province entirely slaves? and if so, will it directly cause problems?

I think you can get slave revolts if there's a disproportionate amount of slaves. I dunno the exact breakpoints for this though.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

How do you do naval landings? I landed some guys in Italy from Greece. But now they're stuck? I have the navy set to do naval landings, but when I click the destination province with the army it doesn't do anything. Is there a way to manually load up?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
How do you get these scorned families jobs? Are the jobs only officials, governors, and generals/admirals?

Why do I have to keep the great families employed? Seems odd

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

EwokEntourage posted:

How do you get these scorned families jobs? Are the jobs only officials, governors, and generals/admirals?

Why do I have to keep the great families employed? Seems odd

I think they're less concerned with making money, and more with holding jobs of significance; the game just combines the two for convenience's sake.

And yeah, the jobs seem to be the government officials, researchers, governors, and military leaders.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nah even rich people historically went for governorships to grift hard.

Granted that was more once provincial thing, but moving the date up for that is understandable

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

appropriatemetaphor posted:

How do you do naval landings? I landed some guys in Italy from Greece. But now they're stuck? I have the navy set to do naval landings, but when I click the destination province with the army it doesn't do anything. Is there a way to manually load up?

I think the boats can not be in port? when they are at sea in the same place as the army you just right click the army onto the boats.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

JOHAN :argh:

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Comet sighted motherfucker!!!

Also turns out the nation I was assigned for a multiplayer game this weekend is gonna be hella hard to play right, so that's somewhat annoying. RIP

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm sad to say I don't like the game much in its current state.

I would think a game centered around the Roman Republic would feature a lot more intrigue, but it seems that there's just not that much there. And related to that, preventing internal strife feels too easy. While the mechanics for civil wars seem to exist, it feels like keeping everyone in your realm loyal is trivial.

Also, the game doesn't really play that differently between different government types. I haven't tried a migratory tribe and those probably are pretty different, but Rome, Carthage, random Celtic tribe #47, and Armenia all feel pretty similar when you play them, and they really shouldn't.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

StarMinstrel posted:

The senate is loving annoying to control/steer properly. I have no feedback on why it decides to vote yay or nay on an issue and it's really annoying to be forced to stay at peace in a game that has nothing fun to do while at said peace. Gonna restart as either a tribal or a monarchy.

Click the senate hand and all factions will tell you why they view an issue like they do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

So trip report after getting my hands on it. This game is hard. Or maybe just Sparta is meant to be loving hard, I don't know. My only possible ally was Epirus, who is now very dead because Macedon threw their weight around and I was in a Peloponnessian hellwar. All the other powers are wary of me, even Carthage, meaning I have no allies possible. I managed to hold off Macedon for now, but they control the rest of Greece and without an ally it doesn't look good for me. The UI took ages to get a handle of what was what, it's not intuitive. And echoing that in general, it's pretty flavorless. My characters don't interact, I get characters badgering me for jobs out of nowhere, and something like just balancing what families get what jobs is a grind because the UI is not set up to accommodate that in anyway.

Military is...intimidating, as just learning what each troop does is confusing, there doesn't seem to be as much of a point to numbers so light infantry feel kinda worthless? I've no real idea what I'm doing here and just made HI and archers and kinda prayed and it's...mostly worked. Since I'm Sparta I just stuck my king as the general because what kind of Spartan king isn't the army commander? Of course this means I don't have any practice balancing generals and splitting armies up to keep the loyalty threat less. Strategic goods to construct armies feel very limiting, as there's just not enough to go around, the powerful nations usually start with them, so it's just the rich getting richer. There's seemingly no way for me to get horses beyond killing Macedon while they outnumber me, and have horses already. :v:

Overall I want to like the game, and the general concepts in place feel good, but it is definitely lacking. Of course for stuff like handling the army I'm sure a lot of that is just because I have no bloody idea what I'm doing. Or it could just be like HoI where it's designed for the big boys and everyone is just there 'because' and I should play an Egypt game or something.

Also, a minor point, even with gender equality on, there's no enatic succession law. There's not even a proper cognatic. You can get agnatic-cognatic, but the only others were agnatic, agnatic seniority, and xwedohdah marriage which is also true cognatic? Strange.