Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I liked the A-Force, girl power, moment in the big fight scene. It was kind of goofy but in that Lord of the Rings "I am no man!" kind of fun way and I realized that MCU has a decent number of interesting female characters so while Captain Marvel might not be as popular as Wonder Woman, MCU has more.

If you feel a disturbance in the force though, it's hundreds of misogynists crying out in pain that the movie took 30 seconds to show all their female characters kicking rear end together.

I thought Pepper getting a suit and showing up was one of the best inclusions. Scarlet Witch getting to throw down with Thanos and unleash on him was great. Captain Marvel showing up and psycho crushering Thanos death ship was a great intro, then her little brawl with him was good too.

As great as Drax was in the first film he didn't do a lot in this one, only have 1 funny like at the end which was a shame. More Drax is needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Alchenar posted:

Secondly; the film doesn't play it as if Thanos killed half of all life, it plays it as if 9/10 of the population were wiped out. We're at 7bn now. The population in 1960 was 3bn. The post Infinity-War Earth is more crowded than the Earth Captain America left in 1945. Yeah everyone would be dealing with loss but if they wanted the empty cities and crumbling civilisation vibe they went with then they should have just killed far more people.

Left unchecked nature takes its spaces back from civilization. Other than that losing half of the workers, and customers, overnight would cripple most of the economic activities and supply chains, therefore losing most of the reasons to clean up roads, buildings,. Adding to it, survivors losing half of the people they know could just decide to off themselves instead of having to deal with the aftermath

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

echinopsis posted:

eh I read some mother tell about how she cringed hard but her younger daughter was absolutely ecstatic, and if you consider this is a movie for everyone, it’s utterly worthwhile for that kind of thing.

It is absolutely a scene that exists purely so Disney can sell action figures to girls as well as boys.

Now I'm cool with that. There's one of those scenes in every Marvel film and this one just so happens to be aimed entirely at women. That's a good thing in and of itself. These films are for everyone and the scene is to make children happy. That's good. What's less good is

A. All the incoming takes about how amazing and progressive the scene was. No it wasn't. It was a scene to sell action figures.

B. It just emphasised that all of the women in the film were supporting cast. Only Natasha actually does anything and she's dead at that point because she's decided she has nothing to live for. Literally none of the women in that moment had any plot significance to their presence at all. That's particularly annoying given the cynicism of A - Disney is trying to get inclusivity credit while not actually giving women anything to do in it's stories.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Watched the movie in yesterday's (todays?) midnight showing. Early impression is that it was great! As with Infinity War, this is a movie only in the vaguest sense and more akin to a live event, for good or ill

I don't really mind the time travel inconsistencies because is not really about time-travel, it's about movie-travel. Endgame has less to do with Back to the Future than Last Action Hero. They have to steal the maggufin from the movie and then put it back. This works as a way for them to revisit earlier MCU movies and play around them which was super fun. The cap thing at the end sure seemed like a closed loop in the "MCU prime" timeline and the only part that felt like "we're commited to this ending and painted ourselves into a corner" but I'm a sucker for more Peggy Carter and liked the flashback fade out

Nebula being the heroe's and villain's MVP took me by surprise

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

PaybackJack posted:

I liked the A-Force, girl power, moment in the big fight scene. It was kind of goofy but in that Lord of the Rings "I am no man!" kind of fun way and I realized that MCU has a decent number of interesting female characters so while Captain Marvel might not be as popular as Wonder Woman, MCU has more.

I cheered at first but then it got a bit more ridiculous when it was every single women left in the franchise appearing in frame and it was painfully obvious they were trying to go for a "we have the numbers" angle on female representation. I mean, the power trio of Captain Marvel, Scarlet Witch and Valkyrie were enough to make the point and narratively, the only ones that could keep up the same pace

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I liked Paul Rudd and I liked the "America's rear end" gag.

The rest of the movie was... dog poo poo?

I mean, it was better than Infinity War, which is damning with faint praise.

It is really funny that the Avengers behead a cripple and then gently caress around with time so they can beat the poo poo out of him more before he's even met them.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I just realized something about what Steve did: They did the same thing on episode of Futurama. Farnsworth built a time machine that can only go forwards, but the universe was replaced with an identical univerde when the first one died out. The Leela that Fry ended up with never actually knew him.

I don't have any greater point to make, it doesn't make it any better or worse, but figured I would point that out.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

As Nero Danced posted:

I just realized something about what Steve did: They did the same thing on episode of Futurama. Farnsworth built a time machine that can only go forwards, but the universe was replaced with an identical univerde when the first one died out. The Leela that Fry ended up with never actually knew him.

I don't have any greater point to make, it doesn't make it any better or worse, but figured I would point that out.

It’s different because this still creates a loop, so there’s no “what happened to the other Fry” question.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

It’s different because this still creates a loop, so there’s no “what happened to the other Fry” question.

Iirc, when they land in the last universe its moved like 10 feet lower and their ship crushes bender, fry, n the professor that havent left yet

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Alchenar posted:

Thoughts still flowing together, but where I think Infinity War was an ensemble film that wanted to be an ensemble film and worked, Endgame is an ensemble film that really wants to be about the Stark-Cap-Thor dynamic.

Infinity war wanted to be a standard MCU film but just with 1 A-plot and 3 B-plots instead of an A-plot and a B-plot so it can fit all these characters in, with the advantage that it gets to end with the heroes losing so a good satisfying conclusion is super easy, and it nailed it.

Endgame was more about rounding off the MCU phase with a celebration of the franchise than making a standard MCU film and suffered for it. The only action scene that was engaging was Cap one on oneing Thanos then facing down the army alone, everything else was just CGI blobs punching each other with no narrative or emotional weight to it and most MCU movies do manage to make the action feel relevant, this didn't.

I don't think the Stark-Cap-Thor dynamic was a thing at all, it was a sendoff for Stark and Cap. Thor was relegated to comic relief and was Captain Marvel level. It was all about Stark and Cap, everything and everyone else was filler.

Vitamin P fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 25, 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

MacheteZombie posted:

Iirc, when they land in the last universe its moved like 10 feet lower and their ship crushes bender, fry, n the professor that havent left yet

Thus closing the loop, I guess?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

Thus closing the loop, I guess?

I think I misread your post lol

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

This is what timeline diagrams are for. :v:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Grouchio posted:

This is what timeline diagrams are for. :v:

Imagine four Captain Americas on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the Captain America nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of Captain Americas and takes the place of the first Captain America. The formerly first Captain America becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff.

Time works the same way.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Vitamin P posted:

Infinity war wanted to be a standard MCU film but just with 1 A-plot and 3 B-plots instead of an A-plot and a B-plot so it can fit all these characters in, with the advantage that it gets to end with the heroes losing so a good satisfying conclusion is super easy, and it nailed it.

Endgame was more about rounding off the MCU phase with a celebration of the franchise than making a standard MCU film and suffered for it. The only action scene that was engaging was Cap one on oneing Thanos then facing down the army alone, everything else was just CGI blobs punching each other with no narrative or emotional weight to it and most MCU movies do manage to make the action feel relevant, this didn't.

I don't think the Stark-Cap-Thor dynamic was a thing at all, it was a sendoff for Stark and Cap. Thor was relegated to comic relief and was Captain Marvel level. It was all about Stark and Cap, everything and everyone else was filler.

Yeah you are right.

On performances I particularly liked Tom Holland. Of the characters that got split seconds of screentime he really stole his scene in a way that's really enthusiastic while the others are just there to pick up their paycheque. Tom Hiddleston makes the most of his seconds as well..

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 25, 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Alchenar posted:

Yeah you are right.

On performances I particularly liked Tom Holland. Of the characters that got split seconds of screentime he really stole his scene in a way that's really enthusiastic while the others are just there to pick up their paycheque. Tom Hiddlesworth makes the most of his seconds as well..

I really want to know, of everyone in the big long credit sequence, who got the least screen time. My guess is Michelle Pfiffer, because I think she was present only at the funeral, and I think everyone else at the funeral either had another scene (Michael Douglas), was in the big battle at the end (Batista) , or wasn't in the main cast credits (teenager from Iron Man 3 out of nowhere)

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I was so happy at the part with Lebowski Thor gaming with Korg and Miek, all of them slobby roommates. I'd watch a sitcom of that.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Was a long movie. Meh.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

In the timeline where Rhodey-A and Nebula-A get the power stone on Morag-B before Quill-B does, that means in that specific alternate timeline, it's likely the GOTG never form, right? Quill-B probably just left. Or, I guess Cap-A goes back to that timeline branch and puts it back before Quill-B gets there? But wouldn't that be a different branch of time that Cap-A goes to?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

teagone posted:

In the timeline where Rhodey and Nebula get the power stone on Morag before Quill does, that means in that specific alternate timeline, it's likely the GOTG never form, right?

yeah, No Gamora, no Nebula, no Thanos, Quill doesn't have the object that starts the whole thing off in the first place. Drax is in prison, probably a little happy that Thanos is gone but still wanting to kill Ronan, Quill is probably hosed and/or back with the Ravagers, and The Adventures of Rocket and Groot continued, unmolested by any dumbass intergalactic plots

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is Nebula treated well in this movie? She is probably my favourite character in these

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Mameluke posted:

Is Nebula treated well in this movie? She is probably my favourite character in these

my man, you won the lottery with this one.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DC Murderverse posted:

my man, you won the lottery with this one.

Pretty much, yeah. She plays a big part in almost all plot beats.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm seeing reports that this is ~the first Marvel movie with a gay character~ so what's the story with that? Is it just a Beauty and the Beast-type thing that is totally inconsequential but the producers are crowing about as super progressive?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gluten Freeman posted:

I'm seeing reports that this is ~the first Marvel movie with a gay character~ so what's the story with that? Is it just a Beauty and the Beast-type thing that is totally inconsequential but the producers are crowing about as super progressive?

The gay character is a cameo by one of the directors. Joe Russo plays a gay man at one of Cap's support group sessions. So, I guess yes?

Does this need to be spoilered?

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
My biggest complaint is that the people who like mayonnaise on their hot dogs were de-dusted.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Is Groot a big or a little tree by the end of this one?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

DC Murderverse posted:

yeah, No Gamora, no Nebula, no Thanos, Quill doesn't have the object that starts the whole thing off in the first place. Drax is in prison, probably a little happy that Thanos is gone but still wanting to kill Ronan, Quill is probably hosed and/or back with the Ravagers, and The Adventures of Rocket and Groot continued, unmolested by any dumbass intergalactic plots

Yeah I found it really weird when they just started massively changing history after the earlier conversation about going to useful times to collect the stones when they were available - I was expecting (and looking forward to) much more sneaking around behind the scenes of the older movies to avoid changing anything but stealing the devices at suitable points when no-one would notice.

On the other hand if they'd just shown up a week earlier and grabbed the stones we'd have missed the scene of watching Quill dancing to his headphones, and i have to respect that decision

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Is Groot a big or a little tree by the end of this one?

Groot was dusted in Infinity War. So he's the same when he comes back.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

xiw posted:

On the other hand if they'd just shown up a week earlier and grabbed the stones we'd have missed the scene of watching Quill dancing to his headphones, and i have to respect that decision

This was my favorite gag in the film. And him getting knocked the gently caress out from a sucker punch. But yeah the implications of retrieving the power stone at the particular time are "lol whoops!" worthy.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Double phone post.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 26, 2019

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the time travel mechanics were consistent with one exception at the end. And I think that one doesn't really matter too much - like maybe cap spent his whole life in another dimension with Peggy then jumped back to his original timeline to say goodbye. Kindof funny how badly they hosed that timeline where they just let Loki get away with the Tesseract though.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think the time travel mechanics were consistent with one exception at the end. And I think that one doesn't really matter too much - like maybe cap spent his whole life in another dimension with Peggy then jumped back to his original timeline to say goodbye.

but what happens to the Cap in that dimension then?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I think the time travel mechanics were consistent with one exception at the end. And I think that one doesn't really matter too much - like maybe cap spent his whole life in another dimension with Peggy then jumped back to his original timeline to say goodbye.

They definitely were not consistent. Every time they jump back, they branch off into a different timeline. They all go to different eras, so based on how time travel works in the film as explained by Hulk and Tilda Swinton, they created multiple branches of time. But the movie doesn't care to acknowledge that because narratively it's not important. Logically it is, but the film doesn't want you to think too hard about it and just focus on the story and the characters.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

I think the time travel mechanics were consistent with one exception at the end. And I think that one doesn't really matter too much - like maybe cap spent his whole life in another dimension with Peggy then jumped back to his original timeline to say goodbye. Kindof funny how badly they hosed that timeline where they just let Loki get away with the Tesseract though.

That particular part of the heist felt like a Legends of Tomorrow homage both in tone and execution. Hulk and the stairs got the biggest laughs in the whole movie in my theater.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

I wanna see how the gently caress Captain America managed to return the soul and reality stones - the rest are roughly fixable but a shot of Captain America sneaking into asgard and then realising they forgot to re-liquidise the Aether, and then showing up to meet the Red Skull would be gold.

On the other hand given what the ancient one said Cap could drop them off anywhere and things would be Roughly Okay - a different timeline but not a doomed one.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

but what happens to the Cap in that dimension then?
He spent 75 years frozen like he does in First Avenger?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

He spent 75 years frozen like he does in First Avenger?

Only to wake up and find out some guy posed as him and stole his life while he was in a coma

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

DeimosRising posted:

Only to wake up and find out some guy posed as him and stole his life while he was in a coma

Marvel's
U.S. Agent
Coming 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Spoilers fellas.

The worst thing is Cap-A travelling to MCU-B to marry Peggy-B, where he presumably — and as such, knowingly — lets Hydra-B fester under SHIELD-B and enables Bucky-B's continued suffering as Hydra-B's ultra assassin man FOR YEARS, all in exchange for him getting to live out the life he wanted with Peggy. I'd say Cap-A earned the right to do that, but it's still hosed up characterization.

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 26, 2019