Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

namlosh posted:

This wasn’t mislabeled though... it was a bootleg from a concert of them performing the song from back when they were supposed to be the next great touring band after the Dead...

Or is that the joke and I am dumb?

Both are very possible

That's the joke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4hGSR5njZE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mu Zeta posted:

Telltale tried to update them and even with huge sales they shut down because they will never have mass appeal again. People like complexity but not bullshit puzzles.
TT did away with CatHair Puzzles, but man when you figure out their schtick* it really deadens the impact of whatever next series they try and tackle.

'This Choice Will Matter... but only superficially more or less"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FilthyImp posted:

TT did away with CatHair Puzzles, but man when you figure out their schtick* it really deadens the impact of whatever next series they try and tackle.

'This Choice Will Matter... but only superficially more or less"

The people who knew how to make it work well left Telltale after the first Walking Dead season.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SacrificialGoat posted:

Those are all CRPGs, not adventure games. Adventure games are like Sam and Max or Day of the Tentacle. Point and click interface with an inventory. Most of the "gameplay" was figuring out which inventory item you had to use on the right spot to advance the plot or get a new item.

Yea, they aren't completely dead, there's indie games like Kathy Rain and Thimbleweed Park that are continuing the tradition, but it will never be a major genre again. You can tell long, complex stories in pretty much any game now, because the resources in games exist.

Check out that channel, PushingUpRoses, she has great reviews of many of the big games of that era, plus some general videos on the topic.

Also she does amazing videos about 90s Nick Shows

Pete and Pete
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MagG2PCYEE
Salute Your Shorts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYI5p88mHOE
Hey Dude
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQfYtmkpczU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

I am dumb, lol

turn up volume, then turn it down, then turn it up again for mtv when it was good

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The people who knew how to make it work well left Telltale after the first Walking Dead season.

no, they shoved some of the people who knew how to make it work into a closet to to make Tales from the Borderlands and then forgot about them

CtrlAltDeath
Oct 24, 2003

Your bra bomb better work, Nerdlinger!

Phanatic posted:

Also the shareware version of Doom was something you could download from a BBS. The full version came on a stack of floppies. No way you could just distribute the full version hidden in the shareware release to be unlocked with a code or a hack.

I got the full version of Doom 2 from a guy I met on a local BBS by using some Win 3.1 terminal program to dial directly into his machine and transfer the files. Hours and hours later after it actually worked it was a mindblowing moment of "you can actually DO that?!?" for me.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
We just "rented" PC games from a local shop that I'm sure was totally authorized to do that.

Fortunately my dad had a photocopier so we could also make copies of the pages of the manual that had the answers to the copy protection quizzes.

We did uninstall the games eventually.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, they aren't completely dead, there's indie games like Kathy Rain and Thimbleweed Park that are continuing the tradition, but it will never be a major genre again. You can tell long, complex stories in pretty much any game now, because the resources in games exist.

Also the "point & click, use every item on everything until the plot progresses" method of gameplay is undeniably primitive. While there's a lot of nostalgia for it, it also created a lot of bullshit games that were just trial and error. Technology and the medium have both improved to the point where you make whatever story you want with whatever gameplay you want.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

chitoryu12 posted:

Also the "point & click, use every item on everything until the plot progresses" method of gameplay is undeniably primitive. While there's a lot of nostalgia for it, it also created a lot of bullshit games that were just trial and error. Technology and the medium have both improved to the point where you make whatever story you want with whatever gameplay you want.

I like when they make masturbation jokes

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alaois posted:

no, they shoved some of the people who knew how to make it work into a closet to to make Tales from the Borderlands and then forgot about them

I stand corrected :ohdear:. Catch-a-Riiiiiiide!

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Doc M posted:

I really liked the original I82 installer which played an in-universe news report and followed it up with a Devo song while the game was installing from the disc.

A previously unreleased Devo song! It sounds like it's from either the Duty Now For the Future or Freedom of Choice periods, given the song's production It's also one of their best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E3Ho8NLtKM

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

namlosh posted:

This wasn’t mislabeled though... it was a bootleg from a concert of them performing the song from back when they were supposed to be the next great touring band after the Dead...

Or is that the joke and I am dumb?

Both are very possible

If you're talking about the countrified acoustic rednecky version of it, that wasn't Phish, it was the Gourds.

Edit: Beaten

Sir Lemming posted:

We just "rented" PC games from a local shop that I'm sure was totally authorized to do that.

You didn't need authorization to do it until 1990. First sale says once you've purchased a thing, it's yours to do with what you want. Video rental stores didn't need anyone's authorization to rent out the video tapes they purchased. In late 1990, though, Congress passed a law prohibiting software rentals without the authorization from the rightsholder. So if your games shop was renting before that it was totally in the clear .

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Phanatic posted:

You didn't need authorization to do it until 1990. First sale says once you've purchased a thing, it's yours to do with what you want. Video rental stores didn't need anyone's authorization to rent out the video tapes they purchased. In late 1990, though, Congress passed a law prohibiting software rentals without the authorization from the rightsholder. So if your games shop was renting before that it was totally in the clear .

Well I rented Doom 2 so...

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Phanatic posted:

If you're talking about the countrified acoustic rednecky version of it, that wasn't Phish, it was the Gourds.

Edit: Beaten

Wait, maybe I’m not SO dumb...

I was a friends and I listened to a lot of phish in college. There was definitely a live concert version of gin and juice by phish that was not the gourds version. They were just messing around on stage and played the song.

Either way, I get it now. I had forgotten about the gourds version

If I can find the actual phish version I’m talking about, maybe I’ll post it.

...it could also be the Mandela effect :tinfoil:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EPGhjxm0G0

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
All of those fashions are very much en vogue these days and it is very popular for the youth these days to watch Friends and listen to Spice Girls even unironically so there you go.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Recent revelations confirmed that photo wasn't the only time Geri got between Mel B's legs.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Speaking of adventure games, anybody have a soft spot for FMV games? Even though they were mostly bad, I was fascinated by them. The "graphics" were a thousand times better than anything else and they would actually run on our lovely early 90s computers. It's hard to get more 90s than "X-Files FMV adventure game."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GNv04PSUbY&t=11s

Titanic wasn't actually FMV, more like creepy stop motion, but I played this game over and over as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85FlENsVhjc

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Parkingtigers posted:

Recent revelations confirmed that photo wasn't the only time Geri got between Mel B's legs.

What?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
They hosed

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ICHIBAHN posted:

They hosed

well, alright.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ICHIBAHN posted:

They hosed

Man, I probably would've straight-up passed out if you'd told me this twenty-odd years ago.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Man, I probably would've straight-up passed out if you'd told me this twenty-odd years ago.

:emptyquote:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G41jV8giSc

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

I would have had a stroke.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Parkingtigers posted:

I would have had a stroke.

Only one? That's amazing restraint.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

In another timeline there was The Great Zinc Deficiency of 1999.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foYdpQelECs
Why you frontin'???

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

This isn't early 2000s? I feel like this is literally 2000-2003.

Not with every song, but with most.

Not complaining. Just saying. This was literally high school.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Lester Shy posted:

Speaking of adventure games, anybody have a soft spot for FMV games? Even though they were mostly bad, I was fascinated by them. The "graphics" were a thousand times better than anything else and they would actually run on our lovely early 90s computers. It's hard to get more 90s than "X-Files FMV adventure game."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GNv04PSUbY&t=11s

Titanic wasn't actually FMV, more like creepy stop motion, but I played this game over and over as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85FlENsVhjc

My dude, let me tell you about how awesome Wing Commander was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qYItb4g6qg WC3 full movie clipped together from all the cutscenes.

Mark Hamill, John Rhys-Davies, Malcolm McDowell, and Tomas F. Wilson as a perfect Maniac.\

There is also a WC4 and WC5 version of this, too.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dialhforhero posted:

Well, poo poo. It's been long enough for the late 90s/early 2000s have blurred together in my mind.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I found a weirdly intact WingCommander 3 box at my Goodwill some months back.

And I mean loving intact. Unless there was some leather map feelies, it had all the discs, the reg cards, manual, even little ship postcards.

It's probably been my best find. I should get around to installing it.

Also grabbed Myth II. Wonder if I need to validate on Bungie.net for that one

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

ICHIBAHN posted:

They hosed

Well, I just got some tinglies in my special area.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

dialhforhero posted:

That sounds about right to me too, actually. In that I instantly thought high school, which would be around those years. I guess it still felt like the ‘90s either way.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The 90s didn't end until 9/11. This is a known known.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Volcott posted:

The 90s didn't end until 9/11. This is a known known.

9/11 is literally the day we entered into a new era. The historical impact of that event was gargantuan as far as America goes.

Of course the entire country has been collectively losing its drat mind ever since but, you know, details.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Yea, I'd probably would have masturbated myself to death back then if I had known that for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Some say the 90s and the 20th century ended with 9/11 and I can't blame them. Makes perfect sense.

Others, though...