Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Schadenboner posted:

I legit would still like an answer to this.

:sam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Schadenboner posted:

Tax evasion.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Schadenboner posted:

In the mind of that poster, what does he think the dodge he’s doing actually “is”?

:confused:

"you can't tax me if i got the money from another country, also you can't tax me for giving myself money"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
have they figured out how the blockchain is going to work once we have colonies on Mars or is that a lightning network thing

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

gschmidl posted:

Tax evasion.

I guess I wasn’t seeing what he thinks the trick he’s playing was but:

fishmech posted:

"you can't tax me if i got the money from another country, also you can't tax me for giving myself money"

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

...! posted:

Bitcoin will become the most stable asset known to man (self.Bitcoin)

can't deny that when i think of stables, my mind turns naturally to bitcoin

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

story checks out. newton died a virgin; ford had a deep admiration for adolph hitler; jobs couldn't tell the difference between gwyneth paltrow and an oncologist

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

indigi posted:

have they figured out how the blockchain is going to work

Pretty sure their answer is “very well, thank you” probably without the thank you part because they’re not that polite

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Schadenboner posted:

he thinks you don’t have to pay tax if you earn money in another country. which, given the US being the only country of any consequence that has global taxation (ie on all income anywhere, with tax credits for foreign taxes paid), is the kind of scheme you come up with in intro to accounting because you are a dumb 19 year old in college who has no idea how the US tax system works.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

indigi posted:

have they figured out how the blockchain is going to work once we have colonies on Mars or is that a lightning network thing
the bitcoin blockchain can still orphan after a few blocks and propagation time is a thing so introducing lag time to other planets would probably make the 'safe' confirmation time from 6 blocks to something way higher

lightning network would have to be some setup with a channel holding all the currency the entire planet would use and it couldnt close until it caught back up with earth

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
sounds like *shudder* statist centralisation to me

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
https://twitter.com/patio11/status/1121532756301729792
https://twitter.com/jmhredsox/status/1121538952341512192

one of bitfinex's payment processors (who they had to use because banks wouldn't work with them) stole $850 million from them, so bitfinex took money from the tether reserve to cover it

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
the document

summary in The Block

this is the best news for bitcoin

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
because tethers apparently weren't fake enough, apparently they decided to steal from whatever real reserves they had?

you can't make this poo poo up.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

quote:

Bitfinex allegedly lost more than $850 million of co-mingled funds 

lol

quote:

Bitfinex transferred the funds “without any written contract or assurance”’ and didn’t disclose the loss to investors, 

double lol

quote:

Executives at Bitfinex and Tether allegedly cooked up a series of “conflicted corporate transactions” in which Bitfinex gave itself access to up to $900 million of Tether’s cash reserves, “which Tether for years repeatedly told investors fully backed the Tether virtual currency ‘1-to-1,’”

triple lol

e: I don't know about ny financial regs

but I know that each one of those steps was illegal / exposing the firm to goofy amounts of liability

Best Bi Geek Squid fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 26, 2019

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
here we go again guys

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Schadenboner posted:

In the mind of that poster, what does he think the dodge he’s doing actually “is”?

:confused:

it's simple: you only have to pay taxes because banks are complicit in the government conspiracy to pretend that taxes are legal. since taxes aren't actually legal, all you have to do is avoid having the bank steal your money from you and you're good.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

big day for @bitfinexed

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

divabot posted:

the document

summary in The Block

this is the best news for bitcoin

no the price didn't crash, bitcoin is the ultimate stable asset. what really happened was everything in the world increased in value by 5%

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

he thinks you don’t have to pay tax if you earn money in another country. which, given the US being the only country of any consequence that has global taxation (ie on all income anywhere, with tax credits for foreign taxes paid), is the kind of scheme you come up with in intro to accounting because you are a dumb 19 year old in college who has no idea how the US tax system works.
i hope someone doing intro to accounting at least knows that the us doesn't give a flying toss where you earn money. you can have not returned to america and spent decades working overseas and they will still hound you to file your tax returns and send money 'home' if your foreign taxes don't deduct enough.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Rocks posted:

big day for @bitfinexed
https://twitter.com/bitfinexed/status/968749331821092864

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

:honked:
:honked::gerard:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I have a coiner harrassing me about BAT.

has anyone commited any thought to this scheme? it seems like they have their heart in the right place but i don't understand why blockchain is neceassary at all. Why couldn't they just use fiat?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

the basic premise of any "blockchain" tech is:

1. baffle you with bullshit since blockchain has -100 use cases, in that there are no compelling reasons to use it and many reasons to not use it*
2. having baffled you, they are now intent of selling you tokens. these tokens that are not securities (but totally are, don't mind the pounding feet of the local securities regulators coming ever closer to kicking down the door) will be required for mumble, mumble and therefore give the creators money
3. oh no we lost all the money, these things happen but we had to chase our dreams by the way we sold your info to russian hackers who may or may not have already turned your computer into a node in their spam/ddos botnet, read the tos it's covered allowing us to do that

repeat until you lose all your money

*you may object that there are use cases. then it's not blockchain, it's an actual useful database that has blockchain stenciled on it, in the same way that writing an algorithm to try all the combinations on a combination lock is now a "safe cracking super ai"

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
this is a new paradigm though

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Amethyst posted:

has anyone commited any thought to this scheme? it seems like they have their heart in the right place but i don't understand why blockchain is neceassary at all. Why couldn't they just use fiat?

is that the one where you shoot marbles into peoples faces?

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
that lawsuit document is hilarious

imagine needing to apologize in advance for pestering your payment processor to pretty please return your funds

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Boxturret posted:

is that the one where you shoot marbles into peoples faces?

there's the web browser called brave that blocks ads.

you can opt into seeing ads though. but not ads served by google and facebook etc. ads served by the Brave company.

ad agencies purchase ad campaigns from brave. when an ad is served, the content publisher gets paid in a crypto token, and the user also gets a cut

they also claim to be better than google for privacy because instead of running ad matching algorithms in the cloud the browser instead selects ads to serve from a global catalogue using local processes that aren't shared (though surely Brave can infer your ad preferences from the catalogue request log...)

anyway, why use blockchain? seems like you could easily do this with fiat? it's just as centralised...

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
this is also funny

the NY state office of the attorney general ask bitfinex for answers to questions about a wide range of topics and bitfinex sends them a document with screenshots of tweets and blog posts

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

that's not entirely correct. many countries have residents file and pay income taxes based on worldwide income with appropriate credits for foreign income taxes. what generally sets the USA apart from the rest of the world is that US citizens have to file US tax returns even if they are not US residents. This is why Roger Ver and the not-zuckerberg facebook founder renounced their US citizenships.

edit: this is also why FATCA exists and banks all over the world hate it.

Zeond fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 26, 2019

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Amethyst posted:

there's the web browser called brave that blocks ads.

you can opt into seeing ads though. but not ads served by google and facebook etc. ads served by the Brave company.

ad agencies purchase ad campaigns from brave. when an ad is served, the content publisher gets paid in a crypto token, and the user also gets a cut

they also claim to be better than google for privacy because instead of running ad matching algorithms in the cloud the browser instead selects ads to serve from a global catalogue using local processes that aren't shared (though surely Brave can infer your ad preferences from the catalogue request log...)

anyway, why use blockchain? seems like you could easily do this with fiat? it's just as centralised...

oh was that the one with the fake donation links?

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.

Boxturret posted:

oh was that the one with the fake donation links?

isn't the brave browser also run by the guy who was ran out of Mozilla for being a homophobe and donating in support of california's proposition 8?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
among all the things tax dude is mistaken about, the funniest is that he thinks an account in an american bank actually exists in a different country, simply because it is valued in something else than USD

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Amethyst posted:

blockchain is never necessary but using it as a marketing tactic obscures the fact that they're trying to sell people on a browser whose primary purpose is to deliver you advertising that circumvents the creators of the content you're consuming.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
lol

quote:

60. As explained to OAG attorneys by Respondents' counsel, Bitfinex and Tether have also used a number of other third party "payment processors" to handle client withdrawal requests, including various companies owned by Bitfinex/Tether executives, as well as other "friends" of Bitfinex -- meaning, human being friends of Bitfinex employees that were willing to use their bank accounts to transfer money to Bitfinex clients who had requested withdrawals.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

neutral milf hotel posted:

that lawsuit document is hilarious

imagine needing to apologize in advance for pestering your payment processor to pretty please return your funds

lol

I can call up my company's fiat bank and get $100 million in a couple minutes. once I needed $4 billion and that was no problem either!

bitcoin is truly the future of finance

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

blockchain is never necessary but using it as a marketing tactic obscures the fact that they're trying to sell people on a browser whose primary purpose is to deliver you advertising that circumvents the creators of the content you're consuming.

I talked to the coiner about it

he is convinced that using crypto is better than using credit cards because it is "permissionless" in that you don't need to authorise a third party to pull from your account to pay media publishers for content and therefore it will solve the problem of people not paying for news because people will just be able to click a button and pay

I pointed out that paying for stuff with cryptocurrency is in fact extremely hard and managing wallet files is basically beyond all but the most advanced users and he stopped replying

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

also the idea that the reason content publishing on the web is collapsing is due to people finding it too hard to pay microtransactions with credit cards seems very dubious to me

the ad supported model is simply unsustainable

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zero One posted:

lol

I can call up my company's fiat bank and get $100 million in a couple minutes. once I needed $4 billion and that was no problem either!

bitcoin is truly the future of finance

yeah, we do you do that through IM and use cool handles? no? checkmate statist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
never change, bitcoiners :allears:

meukow 1 point 2 hours ago

Excuse me but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Tether company loaned $600 mil to Bitfinex with a 6.5% interest. They will repay it back eventually. The problem here is that if everyone wanted to convert their Tether to USD and withdraw immediately, they'd be screwed.

Isn't this how our current banking system works. If everyone on Earth wanted to spend their funds that are in the banks right this moment, that would not be possible because it's not backed by real currency (cash + assets).

It's wrong when crypto does it but normal when banks do it?

Marcion_Sinope 6 points 2 hours ago

Just the newest phase in the bankster war against bitcoin.

theymos [score hidden] an hour ago*

It's distinctly possible that NY is just being authoritarian and trying to crush free enterprise like they always do.

vroomDotClub 4 points 4 hours ago

This is indeed what happened. SHADY BANKS mucked it all up.. this world is so corrupt.. The higher up you go the more corrupt it is.

2-bit-tipper 7 points 3 hours ago

Bitcoin keep chuggin' along while modern finance blows up behind it.

QtotheM 1 point 2 hours ago

New York sure seems to have it out for Bitcoin and Co.

walloon5 0 points 3 hours ago

Tether FUD is nonstop. No one is being ripped off. You are all paranoid.

The only thing corrupt here is the NY BitLicense and other trash.