Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You must stay out of the Solar Ray’s line of fire!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

chiasaur11 posted:

It also helps to remember what total trainwrecks most Gundam characters are as human beings for a lot of their histories.

Still odd that Loran didn't score higher.

Judau is a good dude, but :lol: at imagining him settling down.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Judau did settle down for a time out past the asteroid belt.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I see what you mean, but there could be debate over how settled down mecha grandpa could really be.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I think Judau's only a good Gundam husband if you're the ZZ Gundam.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

chiasaur11 posted:

It also helps to remember what total trainwrecks most Gundam characters are as human beings for a lot of their histories.

The best Correct Century husband is Joseph being a very good dad right at the end. :kimchi:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I also like the moon spy who ends up becoming a baker and marrying his boss' daughter.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

I also like the moon spy who ends up becoming a baker and marrying his boss' daughter.

Deep cover.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
justice for Loran and Turn-A generally. criminally hated on by casuals who want every cartoon to be DBZ

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

come to think of it doesn't Seabook end up being a baker and happy with Cecily

or is he disqualified on account of being married already

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TenementFunster posted:

justice for Loran and Turn-A generally. criminally hated on by casuals who want every cartoon to be DBZ

Like G Gundam, time has been kind to it.

It's a show where having the right expectations is helpful, and being able to go in saying "This is the kind of chill, pastoral Gundam." means less people wonder when it's going to be like the original or Zeta.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

chiasaur11 posted:

Like G Gundam, time has been kind to it.

It's a show where having the right expectations is helpful, and being able to go in saying "This is the kind of chill, pastoral Gundam." means less people wonder when it's going to be like the original or Zeta.
was G ever not popular among english-speaking fans? it’s been well-regraded for as long as i can remember. turn-a hasn't had a 1/10th of the exposure in this country a G

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Merilan posted:

come to think of it doesn't Seabook end up being a baker and happy with Cecily

or is he disqualified on account of being married already

No he changed his name to Kinkaid or Kincade and began piloting the Crossbone. I think.

TenementFunster posted:

was G ever not popular among english-speaking fans? it’s been well-regraded for as long as i can remember. turn-a hasn't had a 1/10th of the exposure in this country a G

I have no clue how this works. I absolutely loved Turn A and completely rejected g gundam. I went in to both shows without any expectations or ideas.

Ka0 fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 15, 2019

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

No I mean after the events of Crossbone actually, I think he settles down and starts using the name Seabook again.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah he does. There's a really nice scene in Steel 7 where Tobia goes to their bakery for help with the crisis but after seeing how happy they are decides to leave instead of pulling them into another conflict.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TenementFunster posted:

G has always been popular among English-speaking fans, but Japan loving hated it at first iirc

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

G has always been popular among English-speaking fans, but Japan loving hated it at first iirc
i can’t understand what they’re saying so i don’t care what they think

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

so i bought settei for reconguista in g and I am pretty sure that there's some stuff in here that hasn't been published. would people be interested in me getting the thing scanned in and uploaded somewhere

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I would definitely be interested.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

everythingWasBees posted:

so i bought settei for reconguista in g and I am pretty sure that there's some stuff in here that hasn't been published. would people be interested in me getting the thing scanned in and uploaded somewhere

:justpost:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

I-Fields have the issue of having insane power consumption (which isn't a big issue for a carrier) but also that under sustained fire they can overheat quickly.

Where is that actually detailed out of interest? The only units in animation with i-fields that I recall are the Big Zam, the Dendrobium and the Neue Ziel. I know Crossbone has the various Crossbone units themselves equipped with smaller i-fields too, but I don't recall any discussion of power limitations or heating issues with the i-field tech in 0079 or 0083 at the very least.

chiasaur11 posted:

Is it? More people would need to have seen Turn A to know about Loran in order for him to score higher I'd imagine.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

tsob posted:

Where is that actually detailed out of interest? The only units in animation with i-fields that I recall are the Big Zam, the Dendrobium and the Neue Ziel. I know Crossbone has the various Crossbone units themselves equipped with smaller i-fields too, but I don't recall any discussion of power limitations or heating issues with the i-field tech in 0079 or 0083 at the very least.

I'm not sure where I-Fields overheating and shutting down under heavy fire comes from, but them having limitations and problems with overheating is a definite thing that's established here and there, especially in Crossbone actually. The only Crossbones with I-Fields are the X-3 and the X-1 Full Cloth (the rest just used Anti-Beam Coated mantles and beam shields), and at least for the X-3 it's explicitly stated that its I-Fields still have problems overheating to the point it's an acknowledged vulnerability in the Suit. I don't think it's fully acknowledged well the X-1 FC's I-Field works, but considering how much of it is recycled and how it uses them sparingly it's possible they have a similar limitation. I think the first Mobile Suit to just have a straight I-Field that worked was the V2 Assault, and that's like the fourth defensive system on the drat thing.

But you aren't wrong, the limitations of I-Fields are mostly stuff retrofitted onto the series.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I would've figured the limitations of I-Fields would've been a kinda ad hoc thing based on the writer and the given villain of the week and how the hero needs to overcome their seemingly impenetrable shield honestly (or vice versa)

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I-Fields are lame af and that mook at the start of Unicorn should have won.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Please give greater respect to the Stark Jegan hero we needed.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
He was a necessary sacrifice to remind you how bullshit powerful funnels are. Rest in peace Stark Jegan Man, I will never forget you.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Full Armor Unicorn was just the Unicorn with every spare gun they had on the Nahel Argama bolted on. That makes sense, but where did the giant beam spear come from? Was it an optional Jesta weapon that none of the Jesta pilots in the show ever use?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gripweed posted:

The Full Armor Unicorn was just the Unicorn with every spare gun they had on the Nahel Argama bolted on. That makes sense, but where did the giant beam spear come from? Was it an optional Jesta weapon that none of the Jesta pilots in the show ever use?

Same place it got the extra shields, I guess. The beam spear is specifically from the Armed Armour upgrade series for the RX-0 line, so it's a purpose-built weapon rather than just something they found lying around the hangar.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I was really hoping there was an MSV halberdier Jesta :(

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Omnicrom posted:

I'm not sure where I-Fields overheating and shutting down under heavy fire comes from, but them having limitations and problems with overheating is a definite thing that's established here and there, especially in Crossbone actually. The only Crossbones with I-Fields are the X-3 and the X-1 Full Cloth (the rest just used Anti-Beam Coated mantles and beam shields), and at least for the X-3 it's explicitly stated that its I-Fields still have problems overheating to the point it's an acknowledged vulnerability in the Suit. I don't think it's fully acknowledged well the X-1 FC's I-Field works, but considering how much of it is recycled and how it uses them sparingly it's possible they have a similar limitation. I think the first Mobile Suit to just have a straight I-Field that worked was the V2 Assault, and that's like the fourth defensive system on the drat thing.

But you aren't wrong, the limitations of I-Fields are mostly stuff retrofitted onto the series.

The Full Cloth's I-fields are literally the same ones as the X-3. As in, they salvaged them off of the X-3's remains and added them to the X-1 literally.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Omnicrom posted:

I don't mind it in the case of the Crossbones, since the limitations on size make sense there (even though you'd think the technology would have advanced some in the decades since the One Year War), but the fluff explanation that Dozle only went out in the Big Zam at the end of the battle at Solomon because he knew the Big Zam had power/heat issues with it's i-field and could only operate it for 20 minutes annoys me since it ignores quite a bit of context regarding that entire scenario established in 0079 itself.

The most prominent example being that when Dozle is presented with the Big Zam he gives out angrily about how useless one armor is and that he'd have preferred a squad of mobile suits (I think he says Rick Dom's specifically, though I can't recall). He also doesn't go out simply because he's a commander, so he spends the majority of the battle in a command position, overseeing the evolving situation and making sure that orders are given to help prevent his side from losing. Which is much harder to do from a mobile unit of any kind, since he wouldn't have access to as much information. The only reason he goes out in the Big Zam in the first place is because he knows Solomon is lost and he just wants to draw it out as long as possible to give his family and his men as much time to escape as he can, as well as to take down as much of the enemy as he can personally.

That kind of situation is much more interesting than "well it's got a short time frame of invincibility so I just won't use it" on it's own, in my opinion; even without considering that one is animated, while the other seems to come from data books or something. I see people put the reason he didn't sortie down to limitations of the Big Zam rather than distrust of it and responsibility as a military leader much more often though, which is annoying.

Apprentice Dick posted:

Please give greater respect to the Stark Jegan hero we needed.

I'm mostly just left mystified by Marida's activity in that scene whenever I watch it. The Kshatriya has 4 mega particle cannon's on it's chest, and it's funnels can be fired while still afixed to the binders as stationary guns so there's really no reason she should have had to rely on shielding to stop the Stark Jegan pilot or engage in melee with him in the first place. The only way I can ever really square that inconsistency away in my mind is by assuming she respected the skill he had displayed in dodging her funnels enough to want to fight him as equally as possible, rather than just blowing him away using a superior suit.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I mean, to be fair, that's not a bad hypothesis.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

tsob posted:

Where is that actually detailed out of interest? The only units in animation with i-fields that I recall are the Big Zam, the Dendrobium and the Neue Ziel.
how dare you forget that one mobil armor from twilight axis

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TenementFunster posted:

how dare you forget that one mobil armor from twilight axis

How dare you remember Twilight Axis.

Also, Mobile Suit Breakdown finished the original Gundam this weekend.

Finding out about the Borges reference in the ending made me feel very smug.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

tsob posted:

That kind of situation is much more interesting than "well it's got a short time frame of invincibility so I just won't use it" on it's own, in my opinion; even without considering that one is animated, while the other seems to come from data books or something. I see people put the reason he didn't sortie down to limitations of the Big Zam rather than distrust of it and responsibility as a military leader much more often though, which is annoying.

Maybe we run in different circles, but I don't think I've ever seen that argument. Dozle preferred actual military strategy to Mobile Armor superheroics is kind of a known fact.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/otemoto16/status/1119523640729456641

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Blame this on the misfortune of your birth.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

managed to get them scanned
147 g reco settei images
aome of them are rotated weird because that's just how the scanner did it but oh well
a lot of this stuff was just never published or only published real small

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o5-wlQLuso5nwXKJArp7nkig6nCXMXju/view?usp=drivesdk

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

everythingWasBees posted:

Super cool Bees, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I've been threatening this for quite some time, but the Gihren's Greed Megathread is live!

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 3, 2019