Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

FileNotFound posted:

Overproducing rum and sewing machines and beer and having multiple ships assigned makes the world transition a non issue. Who cares if it takes 5 minutes if the warehouse has at least 100 units at all times...

Overproducing sewing machines is easy, beer is easy, rum, coffee, chocolate, cigars, rubber and hats though - gently caress new world and the tiny islands lack and fertility being wonky and needing to ship things all over the new world to make it all work right.

Oil is just horrible too - the capacity of a ship vs the consumption is just insufficient. You need multiple ships for each oil route to make it viable.

Yeah it’s one of those things where I just learned to commit a trade union to massively overproduce rum in a condensed area so I don’t have to think about it again, there are some great new world booster items at least. I think it’s partly that the Occident/Orient system felt better in practice so I’m just longing for that, but it will probably feel better when the Arctic and SE biome are in. At least I hope so, trying to do trade routes to all 4 map edges through AI spammed island defenses is going to be a loving blast I bet.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’m glad I’m not the only one hitting mental roadblocks in the same spot. There really needs to be some QOL improvement starting in artisans and heavily in engineers.

My game is a little easier because I built six ships of the line and eliminated every other moving thing, but if not for that, my production chains would be so absolutely fibrous it would be impossible to balance.

Factoring in a fuzzy travel time of ships without a graph or something to easily see “okay, it’s increasing/decreasing over time” sucks really bad.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I want to know that these people are using for power lines that the effect from the power plant has such a low range, and is affected by what the road is under the lines....

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

is there a way for me to get this game injected right into my veins?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

ROFLburger posted:

is there a way for me to get this game injected right into my veins?

Do you want nightmares of George's dad dying in the iron mines?

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

oh god

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I love hitting engineers and my interest actually increases at that point because it is time to make an oil empire for my plebs to die in.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Frankly, the T4 drag would be so much more bearable if we could use blueprint mode to plan out all the tiers from the start so we don't suddenly get hit with the dread of reorganizing an entire part of the island to get a train track through.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

BadLlama posted:

I love hitting engineers and my interest actually increases at that point because it is time to make an oil empire for my plebs to die in.

Same here. I've not had the chance to play nearly as much as I'd like but I find it nice that farmers and workers are easy to please (as they tend to be the most spread out by far) while the complexity ramps up once you hit artisans. Makes you take a minute to sit back and really examine what you want to do and lay things out.

More feedback on who is consuming what and how quickly would be nice but I find I'm generally able to pad out production enough to accommodate expansion. Ship travel times are also easy to eyeball and decide if more help is needed or not. Really the biggest complication there is that travel times can be unpredictable and prone to changing, especially in the age of sail. Where the wind is blowing vs. what direction your ship needs to go in has a major impact in travel times. How heavily laden they are will also slow them (and at times can cause ships to over take each other), you also have to account for congestion at their destination. All of these delays combined can also result in routes with multiple ships on them all getting caught up in a pack, but they will usually spread themselves out again after a few runs as the 'fuller' ships move slower and take longer to unload. I've mostly given up trying to control this unless it is really causing a problem. Even then the solution is usually to just pause a ship for a while so storage in the port it's visiting has a chance to even out.

It's not uncommon to see a port empty then all of a sudden have 5 or 6 ships all show up at once. It's really something you need to get a feel for since every setup is different. I find that once clippers are available I'll start consolidating trade routes so I don't have so many smaller ships clogging things up. I'll give everyone a second pass once steam freighters are available as well.

Getting brass has seemed to be my biggest bottle neck since copper and zinc are fairly rare. Rum, cotton and furs are also a pain bit more so due to the space they take up. Hardly insurmountable though.

What I have found to cause problems though is mixing AI difficulty levels. If you play on the default setting of you vs. 1 normal vs. 2 easy I find the normal AI dominating the map unless I constantly intervene in their wars. I had one instance where Beryl controlled 2/3 of the New World and I had to scramble to claim the rest. The resulting war brought global trade to a standstill as I sank anything that moved in the Old World while she camped out in the New World. Would be nice of a ceasefire was a little easier to achieve, especially when the other person has no ships left and I'm sinking anything they build as soon as it's launched.

Thom12255 posted:

Frankly, the T4 drag would be so much more bearable if we could use blueprint mode to plan out all the tiers from the start so we don't suddenly get hit with the dread of reorganizing an entire part of the island to get a train track through.
Plan a head on any island where you want to put engineers and investors by leaving a space next to a road (or two) that cuts through your town. That way you can run tracks down them when the time comes.

I find the bigger issue with power is planning where each of your stations is going to go and laying your rail network in such a way where one train needing g to cover the entire island doesn't trap all the other trains in the port. With no signals or clarity around where trains can and can't travel is can be tricky.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 25, 2019

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Thom12255 posted:

Bulldozing pleb housing and farms to make room for railroads is true to history!

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The only thing about Oil I dont understand is my oil port has like 12 trains but only 2 ever run and I don't get it.

I trade to make tracks into a loop but still didn't get more trains running.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
After I get Bright Sands back how much of the campaign is left to do? I thirst to start a different sandbox with a better map but I should probably see it to the end just out of principle.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

cool, update broke all the quests in my current game :thumbsup:

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Pierson posted:

After I get Bright Sands back how much of the campaign is left to do? I thirst to start a different sandbox with a better map but I should probably see it to the end just out of principle.

You're done, I think the final objective is just to get 500 engineers on that Island.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

boar guy posted:

cool, update broke all the quests in my current game :thumbsup:

4 broke today before the patch and ended in war declaration from two parties because I couldn't finish them. Probably not going to finish the campaign and just start a new Freeplay where ill wipe the fuckers asap.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
There’s also a handful of side quests in the campaign related to Bright Sands that give achievements that are nearly impossible to get because the boats attack you and the queen too quickly. You have to know ahead of time and game them hard to buy time, pretty hilarious.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

So, my quest line got bugged out last night as I was playing. I just purchased the game yesterday, and really having a lot of fun. It is bugged so I can't initiate new quests or pick up quest objects. Happened when I was supposed to pick up some rebels in the new world. Will the patch today hopefully resolve this issue, or has the response been that it is breaking more games than fixing?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, I'm with you guys on Engineers feeling like too much of a hurdle/shift to be fun. Partially it's that oil is such a hassle to get from island to island. I had 5 wells on my starting island and thought that would be enough to get most of my industry going, but apparently that turned out to be not-quite-enough for 2 power plants total. I'd like to get the oil from the new world, but that means building a steam shipyard (which needs power), and then building oil transports, and then setting up a whole oil infrastructure in the new world, and ugh.

I did pretty well up to that point - I had 4 old world islands, but was able to keep 2 of them to farmers only, and the other to workers at most, which kept most of the goods shipping pretty simple. More thoughts:

* Do Power Plants use oil based on how much stuff they power, or is it a fixed amount? God forbid the game tell us anything.
edit- wiki says each well produces 4 per minute, each power plant uses 12 no matter what, so you need 3 wells for each power plant

* It seems like it should be good to set up trade routes that take goods A from island A to island B, and then take goods B back from B to A, but in fact, those seem to fall apart all the loving time because one storehouse is full and for some loving reason the ship doesn't pay attention to the 'throw stuff out' instruction and then stops carrying anything other than 4 bread back and forth while my income collapses because I have no hops to make beer with. I may still make some of those to start, but once I can make schooners reliably I'm separating them out. Which I can probably make "wait until you unload", which feels like it'll actually be a poo poo-ton easier on my supply chains if less efficient.

* I left all my industry on my home island, because I assumed that the museum and zoo bonuses would offset pollution, but apparently pollution is an unhappiness malus even if your island claims to be Attractive? So next time, I'll need to split industry a bit.

* My income is better, but it's still not great and tier 4 stuff is ten times more expense and now everyone is buying shares in my good island that I have to buy back so I'm broke again argh

* A single pocket-watch factory takes three gold mines, holy crap

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 26, 2019

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i have 42 hours in this game and ive never seen engineers lmao

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah the importing cotton part for fur coats is usually where I decide I don’t like my layouts.

Unrelated, are there more than two tiers of workers in the new world?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yeah the importing cotton part for fur coats is usually where I decide I don’t like my layouts.

Nah, just the two.

I think the expected challenge is that land area is so tight and hemmed in that the path of satisfying second-level needs to pack workers in to the same space seems pretty good.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

So, my quest line got bugged out last night as I was playing. I just purchased the game yesterday, and really having a lot of fun. It is bugged so I can't initiate new quests or pick up quest objects. Happened when I was supposed to pick up some rebels in the new world. Will the patch today hopefully resolve this issue, or has the response been that it is breaking more games than fixing?

Patch did not break my save, but did not resolve quest issues. Guess I will have to restart.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
So I'm trying the plan I mentioned earlier about segregating islands and starting an entirely new settlement for artisan+ pops, and so far it's going pretty good.

Using atoll, I looked for a map that had good islands in the southern part nearest the old/new transition. Didn't need to be perfect, just something pretty large with no rivers cutting up the usable space. On the original island I wanted to pack in all the farmers and workers I will likely need for the rest of the game.

720 farmer houses, 340 worker houses, all needs 100% met so I have exactly 7200 farmers and 6800 workers (before the expansion pops). 20-30 of each farm/chain to support them, entirely on the island itself. Very low reliance on trade unions, just one around the bakeries/breweries just in case and the slaughterhouses for the extra tallow.

Now that this is set, I'm getting just enough artisans to push through their tree and get to engineers, then I'm building an entirely new settlement on a second island nearby. Once I have commuters I should be able to customize the little islands around me to support that second island with direct goods, letting me leave this first one untouched. Also going to offload the pigs and metalworking to a seperate island right in the middle of my two planned settlements, that will be a production hellscape. Theres really no reason to have electricity on this original island, since all needs are being met and I don't plan on supplying the new island with much of anything from here, it will all be on the second settlement or production island.

I can ship all the goods for farmers > artisans to the island, I only need enough to support them to the point of upgrading, then I can cut the goods back. I figure I can do that 10-20 houses at a time and my original island will support that fine.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 26, 2019

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

IIRC this has been pretty typical of the Anno games.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You know I guess I could have just clicked on a 2nd tier house and seen if there was an upgrade button. Oops.

In my game tonight I upgraded my first two houses to Engineers, and within a minute all three NPCs declared war on me, seemingly out of the blue. Coincidence?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

totalnewbie posted:

IIRC this has been pretty typical of the Anno games.
2070 is the big exception I guess. Cause before Deep Ocean you did get a shallow second civ (Techs) to build up, but also access to the side of eco/tycoon you din't pick in full.
Deep Ocean made the techs more fleshed out and also annoying smug ungrateful bastards.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

yeah honestly that's always been my big irritation with everything besides 2070. The second set of citizens you grow exist only to extract resources. Only two tiers of Oriental dudes on 1404's desert island. Only two tiers of workers in the arctic, moon and tundra zones in 2205. 2070 had it so good with the whole entirely other tier of "primary" citizens to work up and then with the expack even the Techs got fleshed out.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

tbf it's the 1800s, refusing to develop your colonies beyond whats needed for resources is perfectly in character

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I just hit engineers and I dont mind I'm rebuilding my city to the world's fair layout here

https://anno1800.fandom.com/wiki/City_layouts

gently caress

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Just started playing this game yesterday. Wanted to go through 1404 which I had since forever but unfortunately it's unplayably tiny on my 4K monitor. Luckily 1800 is perfect. Does anyone know which Anno games have support for HiDPI screens? I want to go back to some of the older ones after I'm done with 1800.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

vandalism posted:

I just hit engineers and I dont mind I'm rebuilding my city to the world's fair layout here

gently caress

Rebuilding the entire loving island to adjust for the ludicrous benefits of the Wonder Project is a longstanding Anno tradition.

I'm intentionally making my cities inefficient in design right now, because I want them to look interesting and I want to have the room to put in nice, interesting parks. Making Ornaments statistically functional is a wonderful design choice IMO.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Is there a way to put more than one trading post on an island like you could in 1404? I've got a trade route going but currently the ship has to go all the way around the big island to get to it's trading post, I just want to put one down on the side of the island where the ship comes from.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Just don't use double wide roads for pretty avenues. The train tracks can't cross those, only one-wide roads. There has to be an empty space or an entry into an oil building on the other side of that road tile.

Aphex- posted:

Is there a way to put more than one trading post on an island like you could in 1404? I've got a trade route going but currently the ship has to go all the way around the big island to get to it's trading post, I just want to put one down on the side of the island where the ship comes from.

At Artisan level you can build extra piers.

Also, a nifty feature I found is that you can sort by building type instead of worker level. Just a little button on the bottom left of the build bar I clicked by accident one time. Real nice to have all your harbor or park buildings on one menu.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Apr 26, 2019

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Alkydere posted:

Just don't use double wide roads for pretty avenues. The train tracks can't cross those, only one-wide roads. There has to be an empty space or an entry into an oil building on the other side of that road tile.

So long as you can make sure the rails go around the doublewides it should be fine. Can also go with two roads with a green strip in the middle, which looks pretty nice IMO.

quote:

Also, a nifty feature I found is that you can sort by building type instead of worker level. Just a little button on the bottom left of the build bar I clicked by accident one time. Real nice to have all your harbor or park buildings on one menu.

Ffffuck. I probably stumbled on that at one point but I had absolutely forgotten if I did. Going to have to make sure I remember better this time, could save so much time when I'm building parks.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I just got electricity and I wanna keep playing this time. I've restarted at engineers 2 times so far cause they confused me. Here's a question I have about trains and rails. Can I have one set of rails or does it need to be a loop? Right now I have a loop from my oil well down to the shore. I noticed train buildings have 2 rail entrances. Do they all need to be looped? Can I plop down a power plant in the middle of my town and one rail to it and be good? I'd rather not fully rebuild yet. I guess my question is do all the electric infrastructure need a rail line in and out to avoid railway congestion?

My city is sweet.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

vandalism posted:

gently caress

The only thing here that doesn’t make sense to me is he provides every city service for the entire square without actually needing to. Each tier up stops needing the previous tiers first requirements, artisans don’t need pubs or markets and engineers don’t need churches or schools. There’s really no reason for farmers or workers to be part of that block, you can pack them in on another island much better.

Also finding an open, uninterrupted space that is 12 “blocks” long is not a given. Here’s my town posted above using a similar principle and using all of the available space I only got ~8 long blocks of space on a one of the larger islands available. There’s a mountain or coast close on every side there.

Otherwise I like it a lot, the 5 and 10 house groups are exactly my thing.

I’m going to set up my engineer/investor island today, I’ll use this as a starting point and see if I can’t refine it.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Apr 26, 2019

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Alkydere posted:

At Artisan level you can build extra piers.

I placed a pier down on the side of the island I wanted but it didn't show up to select on the trade route menu and it was just ignored by my ship. Is there something else I need to do to get it up and running?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Aphex- posted:

I placed a pier down on the side of the island I wanted but it didn't show up to select on the trade route menu and it was just ignored by my ship. Is there something else I need to do to get it up and running?

You don’t select it specifically by boats should generally use the nearest available pier, so that’s weird. Are you sure you built it and didn’t just blueprint it down? it’s pretty expensive mats wise and sometimes I do that and forget I didn’t actually build the thing.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I definitely built it, connected it up to the rest of the roads and all that. Does there need to be a warehouse by it too? I might try again and see if it was just a weird bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Could just be that due to the placement of islands and etc in the way, the ships pathfinding thinks it's better to just keep going to the old one.

Or maybe which pier they go to is decided when they start the trade route, so you have to wait a while for it to go through with the trade and discover the new port?