Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

MiddleOne posted:

That's like the most pointless spoiler tag. I have no idea what it is referring to anyway.

Without having seen anything in S2, it refers to some specific book material that is both important to the cohesiveness to the main plot, largely self contained in terms of actual material, but also good exposition on some of the core concepts within the story. Just having read over what's happened in the show, it seems like the content of that plot might be covered by in the show by having Mad Sweeney turned from a significant god into a minor character within Christianity, diminishing his power as a god as a result. This largely mirrors the kobold from the book, while simultaneously removing what would otherwise be a long and largely boring subplot.

Again, I haven't caught up in the show so I could be way off, but that's my take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Mad Sweeney is my favorite character so this was both the best and worst episode

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
It's quite common, particularly in US television, for a show to have too many episodes and therefore need filler episodes to pad out the plot. Often these filler episodes can even be entertaining. This is the first show I've ever watched however that has had a filler season. I really don't know why they needed to turn one not particularly long novel into several seasons of television. I think American gods could have been done quite nicely in a single say 12 episode season.

That being said, despite having now had 7 episodes of nothing happening, I don't think I've ever had so much fun watching nothing happen before.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

The Lord Bude posted:

That being said, despite having now had 7 episodes of nothing happening, I don't think I've ever had so much fun watching nothing happen before.

This is how I feel watching this show as well.

It's the Seinfeld of Dramas.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

MiddleOne posted:

That's like the most pointless spoiler tag. I have no idea what it is referring to anyway.

It's significant, though you don't know it at the moment. Don't read if you care about that part of the story: It's a 'twist' of sorts. If you didn't know that there was a god involved, the plot feels like a sort of grim mystery, kinda twin peaksy thing. Knowing that everything is caused by a god kinda fucks all that up, so even though you don't know what 'the kobold' is referencing, you have now been spoiled.

EDIT: Also, though I don't particularly enjoy that part of the book, it's general 'wow there's literally nothing happening' really fits this show very well, so they'd probably manage to do it justice.

Kaedric fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 26, 2019

goodposter
Sep 1, 2018
Has a show ever gone to poo poo harder than this one between S1 and S2?

The first season was some of the most intriguing TV I had seen. This season on the other hand is just an empty husk, a soulless zombie of what it used to be. There is no content, no agency, nothing to be excited about. The characters just gently caress about aimlessly. It's just an endless stream of lame dream sequences and some embarassing politics, but there's next to no story. Nothing to engage the viewer. Wednesday and a few others still steal scenes, but It's as if all of the characters just stopped living after the first season was over.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

goodposter posted:

Heroes

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Great example. Really is no other comparison. Remember Peter's apocalypse girlfriend he abandons in an even worse timeline and they never bring it up again for the rest of the show? What a sloppy series. AG has production/showrunner problems but heroes felt like they were firing their entire writing staff every 6-8 episodes after that first season.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Stop letting Fuller go, shows

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Mameluke posted:

He might just be really hard to work with/demanding only reason i can think of why this keeps happening (im aware his drama here is budget stuff and gaiman stuff supposedly). Pretty sure he only got to finish Hannibal because De Laurentiis seemed to like him and he was actually elevating a lot of the later book material.

Tokubetsu fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 27, 2019

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I may hate Jeff Bezos with the passion of a thousand suns, but imagine if Amazon had picked up American Gods instead of Starz, they would have probably let Fuller do anything until he pissed off Gaiman enough. (which would be something since Neil doesn't seem like that kind of guy to get angry)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Honestly though, it's so weird to me to hear people criticize this season for being a meandering mess where nothing of import happens. I mean season 1 was literally exactly the same.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Mameluke posted:

Just let him make Hannibal seasons 4-whatever. It is where his heart is.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Tokubetsu posted:

Great example. Really is no other comparison. Remember Peter's apocalypse girlfriend he abandons in an even worse timeline and they never bring it up again for the rest of the show? What a sloppy series. AG has production/showrunner problems but heroes felt like they were firing their entire writing staff every 6-8 episodes after that first season.

The whole season was predicated on a guy lying to Peter for most of the season, and Peter now knowing who he could trust.

Peter had the ability to read minds at the time.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

precision posted:

Honestly though, it's so weird to me to hear people criticize this season for being a meandering mess where nothing of import happens. I mean season 1 was literally exactly the same.

No, they actually had plot development in season 1, even if it was only to the house on the rock which is only like 5 pages into the book. Like, season 1 was pretty and had cool side stories... but it had direction, which this season hasn't. Whoever called it a filler season earlier is fuckin spot on.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

pyrotek posted:

Just let him make Hannibal seasons 4-whatever. It is where his heart is.

If Trump promised to bring back Hannibal I'd go full chud in a heartbeat.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Tokubetsu posted:

Falling Skies did exactly this

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

goodposter posted:

Sleepy Hollow. Although arguably the decline started midway through season 2 and really fell off a cliff in season 3.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Mameluke posted:

If Fuller wants 100% creative control on his shows then he needs to deliver on the ratings front, or scale back his ambitions. He can't blame the network for not giving him a bigger budget when his shows are doing poorly.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

goodposter posted:

Legion and Westworld both loving cratered for me in recent memory.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

END ME SCOOB posted:

Ironically they're also very similar to American Gods. Big budgets, great casts, solid work on a strictly technical level and an interesting but at times underwhelming first season. Then season 2 comes and it's nothing but a big wet fart that has no idea what it wants to say or where it's going.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?
I'm enjoying the show as a bunch of well-executed evocative but unconnected character and portent filled set pieces that sometimes share actors.

Sometimes you just want snatches of a story, without worrying about plot arcs or continuity. And for those times, American Gods delivers.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Sarcastr0 posted:

I'm enjoying the show as a bunch of well-executed evocative but unconnected character and portent filled set pieces that sometimes share actors.

Sometimes you just want snatches of a story, without worrying about plot arcs or continuity. And for those times, American Gods delivers.
I get it, and I have nominally enjoyed this season on that level, too. But if the show did that in season 1, it would not have made it to season 2. This isn't a sitcom. Things are supposed to progress. So, I'm finding my enthusiasm is flagging. It is starting to feel formulaic, and so many changes that weren't forced on the show got undone. omg, Betty! :ohdear: Oh, I guess there's a new Betty. Oh drat, Technical Boy! Oh, I guess he's fine. We're all stuck in Cairo, and Mr. Wednesday is leaving to go on a drive again. :sigh:

Most damning, to me is that the finale put me to sleep. I'm an old :corsair: and nearly all TV puts me to sleep, unless I'm really excited about it. This is the first time I've fallen asleep during an AG episode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
2 seasons. Literally nothing has happened.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

bort posted:

I get it, and I have nominally enjoyed this season on that level, too. But if the show did that in season 1, it would not have made it to season 2. This isn't a sitcom. Things are supposed to progress. So, I'm finding my enthusiasm is flagging. It is starting to feel formulaic, and so many changes that weren't forced on the show got undone. omg, Betty! :ohdear: Oh, I guess there's a new Betty. Oh drat, Technical Boy! Oh, I guess he's fine. We're all stuck in Cairo, and Mr. Wednesday is leaving to go on a drive again. :sigh:

Most damning, to me is that the finale put me to sleep. I'm an old :corsair: and nearly all TV puts me to sleep, unless I'm really excited about it. This is the first time I've fallen asleep during an AG episode.

It helps that the Gods coming to America narratives were my favorite part of season 1, and those were untethered from plot as well.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

It's what Gaiman is really good at -- connecting disparate mythologies in a novel way. The stagnation gives the audience a chance to pick the show apart, though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I really liked the finale :shrug:

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I enjoyed it too. I really hope that Dead Wife is able to resurrect Sweeney, somehow. And then they can be a dead couple together.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
sheeeit that was the finale? brutal

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

precision posted:

I really liked the finale :shrug:

Like last week, I like the episode on its own. As a season finale, it was garbage, because nothing happened this season.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

There’s another episode tonight.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

the escape goat posted:

There’s another episode tonight.

And some (including Cojawfee) have already seen it.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

e: sweet double mobile posting uh

I hope Sweeney comes back in the same body but a slightly different personality (but only because I really don’t want to lose Pablo Schreiber)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The whole intro was great, Crispin Glover is great

I'm actually glad tech boy is back but also not sure what his rebranding was supposed to be about. If the surface reading is intended then he's just a copy or appendage of World now, which has weird book spoiler implications. if he's now just another manifestation of Loki then that actually makes sense because World is just causing chaos now, presumably so that Odin can "save" humanity and accomplish the "god/devil two man con"

Whatever's going on with Mr. Nancy and Ibis is very interesting

"Check, motherfucker" lmao

Bilquis continues to be the only outright waste of time imo.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I thought Tech Boy was just a face Media was wearing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What garbage was this.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

precision posted:

Whatever's going on with Mr. Nancy and Ibis is very interesting

I want this sitcom.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mallratcal posted:

I thought Tech Boy was just a face Media was wearing.

Nah it was implied to be World, "I can be in two places at once"

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

END ME SCOOB posted:

Westworld season 2: Who gives a gently caress about cowboys, give us more B-team adventures in samurai world!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
That didn't make any sense at all.

I guess maybe the plot can progress next season. See y'all in 18 months! :suicide: