Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have an Excel question - my Excel got 'upgraded' to office 365 from office 2010. When I open multiple Excel files they all pop into their own window instead of being stacked I one window with only one visible at a time. Since my employer spends zero money on technology my monitors are lower resolution than 1080p so having extra screen space is would be great.

Is there any way to get office 365 Excel to stack workbooks I to the same window?

I really loving hate office 365

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I have an Excel question - my Excel got 'upgraded' to office 365 from office 2010. When I open multiple Excel files they all pop into their own window instead of being stacked I one window with only one visible at a time. Since my employer spends zero money on technology my monitors are lower resolution than 1080p so having extra screen space is would be great.

Is there any way to get office 365 Excel to stack workbooks I to the same window?

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Why does it matter if it's one excel window with multiple sheets, full screen, inside it, or multiple excel windows full screen? They'll still take up the same amount of screen real estate.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Anyway: Have you tried dragging one of the excel files you want to open to the existing excel window as opposed to double clicking?

Ie. Open an excel file, then click and drag the next file you want to the existing excel window that is open.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Absolute madman. That has been the one design change that absolutely everyone loves, the whole window within a window thing never made sense.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

No, they changed how documents were handled in Excel 2013 and that is no longer an option.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sri.Theo posted:

Absolute madman. That has been the one design change that absolutely everyone loves, the whole window within a window thing never made sense.
There was a time when MDI uis were this hot feature and people bashed Linux for not having them. Somehow Excel kept this long after every other program had ditched it.

It was really annoying having to manually open multiple Excel instances to get multiple windows (which would cause other problems).

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Microsoft Window

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Hi all, recently, (as in within the last month or so) my Windows partition has completely broken on me. Not sure how or why, but it's broken. I can access the files and the drive Windows is installed on when I access it from my Hackintosh macOS, but when I'd try to boot into Windows, it would get to the login, I'd type in my password, then it'd blue screen with "ntfs.sys" as the error. Then I tried to reset it wit the "keep my files" option and now I get the "critical process failed" or something of that sort.

I'm at my wit's end here and have no idea how or where to start to even try and fix this. Part of me wants to just do the age-old solution of backing up what's important and nuking the whole thing. I already have all my games and downloads stored on a separate drive entirely - would this carry over? I feel like a strong "no" here.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

baka kaba posted:

Microsoft Window

Lol'd

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Ghostlight posted:

No, they changed how documents were handled in Excel 2013 and that is no longer an option.

Funny part is that while this is awesome, all of those separate windows are the same excel.exe process which means that one of them crashing spectacularly can cause all the others to die as well. I work with traders and they were flipping out about this the first time it happened after moving to 2013 (last year, btw... they hate to upgrade).

In order to get a new excel.exe process, you now have to
1) hold the Alt key down while clicking to start Excel
2) keep holding alt
3) say “yes” in the pop up that asks if you “really want to open another instance of excel”
4) profit, but prepare for weird focus issues with multiple monitor setups

Excel is the best lovely application in the world, by far.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Today I noticed that despite Windows 10 letting you scroll in any window that you mouse over, not just the active one, it Excel will continue to only scroll the worksheet you were most recently using. You can mouse over the other windows, but when you scroll, the last active one will move, even if it's on another monitor.

mystes
May 31, 2006

namlosh posted:

Funny part is that while this is awesome, all of those separate windows are the same excel.exe process which means that one of them crashing spectacularly can cause all the others to die as well. I work with traders and they were flipping out about this the first time it happened after moving to 2013 (last year, btw... they hate to upgrade).

In order to get a new excel.exe process, you now have to
1) hold the Alt key down while clicking to start Excel
2) keep holding alt
3) say “yes” in the pop up that asks if you “really want to open another instance of excel”
4) profit, but prepare for weird focus issues with multiple monitor setups

Excel is the best lovely application in the world, by far.
As someone who used to routinely open multiple excel instances to be able to get multiple windows in Excel, I can attest to the fact that opening multiple instances causes various problems of its own (for example, I believe that various copy/paste functionality doesn't work at all between different instances, and if you use a personal macro workbook it will get locked by the first instance which is really annoying), so it's not at all surprising that this isn't the default behavior.

OTOH Excel seems to be getting even buggier again lately so crashing is a bit of a problem.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Is there a way to get the media keys (F keys) to work on an Apple keyboard in Windows 10? I doubt there's any official support for that but I've tried a couple of keybinding programs and they don't seem to work. Plus it would be nice to get some use out of the F13-F19 keys.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Stare-Out posted:

Is there a way to get the media keys (F keys) to work on an Apple keyboard in Windows 10? I doubt there's any official support for that but I've tried a couple of keybinding programs and they don't seem to work. Plus it would be nice to get some use out of the F13-F19 keys.

You could try downloading the Bootcamp Support Software, extracting it and running AppleKeyboardInstaller64.exe. Don't know if it'll work, though.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Lambert posted:

You could try downloading the Bootcamp Support Software, extracting it and running AppleKeyboardInstaller64.exe. Don't know if it'll work, though.

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried that before and it seemingly did nothing though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of griping about upgrading to Office 365 from older Offices, does anyone know any decent print management programs or a way to control the order in which files are printed in Windows itself? Short of printing files one at a time that is.

I have to print a bunch of files once a month for mailing and 365 seems to have changed how multiple files selected at once are printed. In 2007 I would select them all, right-click, print and then each file would open, print, close one at a time in the order they were sorted in. With 365 they all have to open before they are printed/closed and this seems to result in them printing in a random order, or at least an order I can't predict. Without going into too much detail the order they're printed in does matter.

All I really need is something that releases files to the printer in a certain order. Everything Google came up with seemed like way too much program than I could actually use or something different altogether. I came across https://www.traction-software.co.uk/batchprint/ which, website design aside, seemed exactly what I needed but I ran into some issues with it. They may have been caused by my work laptop being a bit older and running into issues quickly opening/closing Excel 365 files one at a time but the trial was limited to 5 files in a queue and it would report problems with opening Excel after only 2 or 3 files were printed and I'd have to manually select files to reprint after the rest were finished. Not a huge deal when limited to 5 files but the full list I need to print numbers some 200 so that would be just as much as a hassle as I'm dealing with now.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Something is nuking my entire network every time I reboot my computer, and I'll be damned if I can figure out what it is. Everything is fine when I restart my modem and router, but it's annoying me. I thought it might be OneDrive since I've had that issue before, but for some reason the option to limit bandwidth use is not there in OneDrive settings (Windows 10). I took it completely out of startup and restarted, and it's still happening.

Any ideas on where to start?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Do you have QoS on your router? If its an issue with bandwidth getting chewed up by some ongoing replication/transfer QoS will usually de-prioritize those in favor other traffic, and often enabling it will give you some tools to help you figure out what's moving to point you in the right direction.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Do you have QoS on your router? If its an issue with bandwidth getting chewed up by some ongoing replication/transfer QoS will usually de-prioritize those in favor other traffic, and often enabling it will give you some tools to help you figure out what's moving to point you in the right direction.

Yeah I have QOS set up. I went through startup and cleaned it up...it looks like it was actually Google Drive that was causing problems, which is weird since I don't have anything stored locally for it.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
What's the best way to go about tagging my photos? I'd like to cut down on doing it multiple times and I'd like the tags to be reflected in Lightroom, Google Photos and Windows Explorer (Windows 8.1 by the way)

Is there a way to do it once and have it appear in all three platforms?

Is the answer different if it refers to videos instead of photos? My initial reason for doing it is to make a Mothers Day movie of my kids so I want to go through all my vidd and tag thrm with poo poo like "singing" "falling over" "sleeping" etc. And work on them from there.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
What's a better alternative to Notepad++ these days? It has been choking on larger XML files (50MB+) that I work with.

Looking for something FAST with big files, syntax highlighting and other basic coding-like features.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Alpha Mayo posted:

What's a better alternative to Notepad++ these days? It has been choking on larger XML files (50MB+) that I work with.

Looking for something FAST with big files, syntax highlighting and other basic coding-like features.

SciTE is ugly but one of the fastest at loading big files.

The need to hand-edit 50mb XML is the major failure in your process though.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I'm a fan of UltraEdit personally, though it's not free. I used PSPad years and years ago, but never with XML that large. Finally, have you considered Visual Studio Code?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Alpha Mayo posted:

My co-workers like SublimeText, but I never found it to be that much better than NP++. That said, I never had anything that large to work with, so I'm just throwing out a random suggestion and not something I've tested.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Alpha Mayo posted:

I've been using Visual Studio Code in place of Notepad++ lately and like it quite a bit.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Seconding Ultra Edit. Worth the money.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Toast Museum posted:

I've been using Visual Studio Code in place of Notepad++ lately and like it quite a bit.

In my experience, Code is way slower, especially when it comes to big files.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

My co-workers like SublimeText, but I never found it to be that much better than NP++. That said, I never had anything that large to work with, so I'm just throwing out a random suggestion and not something I've tested.

I also use and really like SublimeText, but it wouldn't be my choice for the job in question.
#1 it's maybe faster at huge files than NP++ but not massively so

#2 more importantly, it actually kinda sucks at dealing with huge garbage-piles that have stuff like giant chunks of text with no newlines. I ran into this recently on a json output that was like 800kb and 8 line feeds, it did weird things to sublime's scroll movement. It's a very good editor of human-readable code, which I'm just guessing this isn't.
(Anything that requires a 50mb XML file to be hand-edited, is probably an unreadable garbage-pile.)

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Can I set up my windows audio settings so that my PC plays through my speakers when they're on but my headphones otherwise?

I'm using a USB headset so it's not a regular jack that I could just plug into the speakers themselves as an override. Currently I'm just using the Sound menu to change what device is default whenever I want to switch back and forth but I'm wondering if there is a more elegant way to accomplish that.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I don't think that's possible unless your speakers are USB and broadcast whether they're on/off to Windows. If they're plugged in via 3.5mm jack or something there's no way for Windows to know if they're on or off.

You could maybe set up Windows to defer to the USB headphones when you plug/unplug them, but that sounds inconvenient. Switching between audio sources via right-clicking the sound icon is seemingly more convenient than constantly pluggin/unplugging the headphones imho

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah just in case you're not doing that, left-click the volume icon and there should be a dropdown arrow next to the current output

also if you right click > Sound Settings there's an Advanced section that will let you set specific apps to use a particular input or output, if you use case is more "when I'm playing Fortnite I want to use headphones" or whatever

you could always try this thing too
https://soundswitch.aaflalo.me/

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Related but unrelated, "listen to this device" is broken in 1903 and doesn't switch when changing output devices.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Lambert posted:

Related but unrelated, "listen to this device" is broken in 1903 and doesn't switch when changing output devices.

Fffuuuuuck. Thanks for the heads up. I use HeSuVi (it's very cool try it) and I woulda been pissed.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Working with KML files with many miles of GPS paths that have HTML associated with it.
KMLs can get so large that Google made KMZ which is literally a KML file zipped up.

Visual Studio Code is handling it well though. Pretty slick editor actually.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Looten Plunder posted:

What's the best way to go about tagging my photos? I'd like to cut down on doing it multiple times and I'd like the tags to be reflected in Lightroom, Google Photos and Windows Explorer (Windows 8.1 by the way)

Is there a way to do it once and have it appear in all three platforms?

Is the answer different if it refers to videos instead of photos? My initial reason for doing it is to make a Mothers Day movie of my kids so I want to go through all my vidd and tag thrm with poo poo like "singing" "falling over" "sleeping" etc. And work on them from there.

I've been using Picasa and exiftool commands for this, because there's nothing free and similar that isn't poo poo. This method is still janky as hell.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Is there any software that'll let me group two windows of different applications together?

The usecase I'm thinking of is alt-tabbing to something full screen and wanting both windows I was just using back straight away when I alt-tab back

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Pretty sure you could use the virtual desktop feature Windows 10 has to that effect.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
e; Accidental emptyquote.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Lambert posted:

Pretty sure you could use the virtual desktop feature Windows 10 has to that effect.

This is the answer, might just take your brain a little to get used to Win+Tab as opposed to Alt+Tab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

This is the answer, might just take your brain a little to get used to Win+Tab as opposed to Alt+Tab.

can we streamline that at all? alt+tab lets me cycle through the windows i want with tab. windows+tab annoyingly doesn't have that same functionality