Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
What’s the best app for playing different types of video files on my iPad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Xabi posted:

Probably nPlayer

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Weedle posted:

Is there a good local music player that does not hook into the iTunes library, but allows for copying music onto the phone via iTunes file sharing?

Vox does this and plays all formats too

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Xabi posted:

Infuse (paid app) is great if you use Plex, otherwise VLC probably handles whatever for free.

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

:siren:This is my first post.:siren:

astral posted:

Infuse (paid app) is great if you use Plex, otherwise VLC probably handles whatever for free.

Infuse is also great if you don't happen to use Plex.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

https://softorino.com/waltr/

WALTR works really well for me. It supports wireleslly copying files to ios, adds them into the actual native Videos application and transcodes any files that ios doesn't support.

I've also used Infuse in the past which works really well if you need to decode 5.1 audio or whatever.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
What’s a good and simple drawing app, especially for having kids use it too?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

hadji murad posted:

What’s a good and simple drawing app, especially for having kids use it too?

I enjoy Tayasui Sketches quite a bit. It’s been forever since I’ve tried anything else, so I’ll be curious to see any other suggestions. It’s quite a capable app but should be pretty kid-friendly too.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Okay I switched from an Android phone to an iPhone XR. I have an old database, created in Memento Databse on Android that was synchronized with Google Sheets on my Google Drive. Of course there is no version of Memento for iOs.

Is there a decent iOs database app that I can import my old data into and keep adding to it? I just don't want to start from scratch and lose all my old data or break it up into different databases. If I could syncrhonize the data between the phone and the cloud that would be great but it's not a deal breaker, I'm fine with just backing up and storing intermittently.

The database is not super complicated.

Memento has its own backup files on the device.

The data exists online on Google Sheets and can be either worked with that way, downloaded as .csv or .tsv data or as an Excel spreadsheet and presumably could be imported into a different database program that way.

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 24, 2019

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Reeder 4 is out and I’m honestly not sure it’s worth upgrading from 3. It looks just about the same, feels a bit more “blocky,” and it’s missing a bit of features. I’m probably going to request a refund because it’s just not worth it. One of the version’s big features is a font that does this :lol:

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I switched to Newsify recently and probably won’t go back.

e: does it automatically pull the full article text yet?

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 25, 2019

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Did everyone remember to cancel their subscription of news+ after the free month?

Because it is pretty lame imo.

Keeping the app around for now only because the google version keeps showing me stories in languages I don’t read no matter how many times I tell it not to.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Anyone have a VNC client recommendation? I used to use iTeleport but they just hosed it all up.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pzy posted:

Anyone have a VNC client recommendation? I used to use iTeleport but they just hosed it all up.

I’ve only used it for RDP, but I really like Jump Desktop. It is not free though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

priznat posted:

Did everyone remember to cancel their subscription of news+ after the free month?

Because it is pretty lame imo.

Keeping the app around for now only because the google version keeps showing me stories in languages I don’t read no matter how many times I tell it not to.

I can’t see it being successful. Most of the magazines aren’t even formatted well for smaller screens.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

I can’t see it being successful. Most of the magazines aren’t even formatted well for smaller screens.

Yeah - and even the ones that were would usually just have the article title with no subheading telling you what it actually was about. It was really poorly done overall. Woo a couple covers in motion and everyone is supposed to go nuts for it I guess.

The thing that sucks now though is the news app has the news+ stuff interleaved with the regular articles which is especially annoying.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

pzy posted:

Have you tried RealVNC’s VNC Viewer? (Full disclosure: I’m responsible for it)

Froist fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 26, 2019

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Lazyhound posted:

I switched to Newsify recently and probably won’t go back.

e: does it automatically pull the full article text yet?

On both 3 and 4 you have the option to have it fetch articles on app open or manual refresh (or some accounts, like Instapaper (which is now treated like a real account vs just an api you can sign into to share to) you can have it update in the background but I don't know how well it works). I'm not sure if this is what you're asking about but in Reeder 3 it always pulled articles for me when I opened the app so it's been working for a while?

Something I just noticed is they removed the font 'Avenir' from Reeder 4 which was my favorite font choice, and they also took away the option to move the 'mark all as read' button around so now it's fixed to the left side. I really don't see how this was approved as a separate v4.0 because functionally it's v3.x with features taken away :(

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m not sure if this is what you're asking about but in Reeder 3 it always pulled articles for me when I opened the app so it's been working for a while?
Not the OP, but I think they mean pulling the full text of articles where the RSS feed only contains a short summary. E.g. Kotaku only gives the first paragraph (sometimes not even that), and in Reeder 3 I have to click the story title to read the content.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I really don't see how this was approved as a separate v4.0 because functionally it's v3.x with features taken away :(
If you mean “how it was approved [by Apple]”, I think you’re really expecting too much of the app review process. It’s essentially a different product, and in review they’re not going to compare against other products (apps) you offer.

On the one hand I feel like I should buy this just to support the developer (as a developer myself). It’s an app I’ve used on phone, iPad and Mac literally every day for years. But if it’s really a step back when the current app meets my needs, that’s a hard principal to support.

If it solves the full-text problem above I’m instantly sold.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Weird, I’m a long time Reeder user and searching the app store there are no Reeders at all, not 3 or 4. Did it get pulled? Browsing the Canada app store. I have 3 installed.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Froist posted:

Not the OP, but I think they mean pulling the full text of articles where the RSS feed only contains a short summary. E.g. Kotaku only gives the first paragraph (sometimes not even that), and in Reeder 3 I have to click the story title to read the content.

If you mean “how it was approved [by Apple]”, I think you’re really expecting too much of the app review process. It’s essentially a different product, and in review they’re not going to compare against other products (apps) you offer.

On the one hand I feel like I should buy this just to support the developer (as a developer myself). It’s an app I’ve used on phone, iPad and Mac literally every day for years. But if it’s really a step back when the current app meets my needs, that’s a hard principal to support.

If it solves the full-text problem above I’m instantly sold.

I meant I didn’t get how the dev/dev team could look at this and think “yep, this is a new version, let’s ship and charge for it.” I’m not against paying for upgrades but it’s gotta be an upgrade, you know?

As for the full text problem, if I understand correctly you mean like how Ars Technica does this?

If so the answer is no. Still gotta click read more which opens the in app browser.

E: just subscribed to kotaku to check since you mentioned them specifically

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I meant I didn’t get how the dev/dev team could look at this and think “yep, this is a new version, let’s ship and charge for it.” I’m not against paying for upgrades but it’s gotta be an upgrade, you know?
Gotcha. Yeah it can be a hard sell if it's just an under the hood rewrite, which takes effort but doesn't immediately benefit the user. As I say, given the usage I get out of this app I'm still slightly tempted just to support it.

Boris Galerkin posted:

As for the full text problem, if I understand correctly you mean like how Ars Technica does this?

If so the answer is no. Still gotta click read more which opens the in app browser.

E: just subscribed to kotaku to check since you mentioned them specifically

Thanks for the trip report - that's what I meant, shame to hear it's still the same.

Violator
May 15, 2003

That’s too bad, the new features said something about an internal read later service so it’s a shame it doesn’t use that to grab the full article.

It’s probably worth getting since it’s the cost of a cup of coffee and it’s good to help keep good devs in business.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Unless I'm misunderstanding you can press

this button to read the whole article in-app in like a reader view. I wish there was an option to always be in that mode though

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

You know what you’re right.

I thought that was the button to see “all items” in a list, because that’s what the “all items” button looks like.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Any recommendations for a good app for straightening out the perspective problems with panoramic photos?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

101 posted:

Unless I'm misunderstanding you can press

this button to read the whole article in-app in like a reader view. I wish there was an option to always be in that mode though

Fiery Feeds remembers this setting on a per feed basis, same for real web view on those that don’t play nice with either short text or reader mode. It’s a subscription service but a really cheap one.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Boris Galerkin posted:

Reeder 4 is out and I’m honestly not sure it’s worth upgrading from 3. It looks just about the same, feels a bit more “blocky,” and it’s missing a bit of features. I’m probably going to request a refund because it’s just not worth it. One of the version’s big features is a font that does this :lol:

I bought it but I've acclimated to Fiery Feeds and it just isn't the same anymore.

Neurophonic posted:

Fiery Feeds remembers this setting on a per feed basis, same for real web view on those that don’t play nice with either short text or reader mode. It’s a subscription service but a really cheap one.

This is one of those features I really like. That and the swiping behavior and 3D Touch make parsing and switching articles really easy. As you said, it's a subscription, but one I've become comfortable with because of their improvements and tweaks. The theming and dynamic lighting shifts between them are also great for resting in bed or in the evening.

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

VLC doesn’t seem to be able to do picture-in-picture (iPad Air 2) Is that right? Seems weird but I read that Apple API won’t let them implement. I see that AVPlayer does picture in picture but do you really need to upload files via usb like I’m reading? That also seems weird.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

devilmonk posted:

VLC doesn’t seem to be able to do picture-in-picture (iPad Air 2) Is that right? Seems weird but I read that Apple API won’t let them implement. I see that AVPlayer does picture in picture but do you really need to upload files via usb like I’m reading? That also seems weird.

I think it has to do with the playback method or something. Channels won’t do PiP either, and I seem to remember a dev saying it had to do with the encoding of the video stream coming from HDHomeRun Prime and Connect devices. They would need to convert the stream on the fly (which can be done, PLEX can do PiP on the same feed), but leads to instability in playback (which again is true if the iOS PLEX client is any indication when playing a live stream from an HDHomeRun device).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I remember The MLB app doing pip last year and it’s not doing it this year :shrug:

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Is there a way to play an artist’s library chronologically?

I would think this button would do it, but it just shuffled all the songs.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

savesthedayrocks posted:

Is there a way to play an artist’s library chronologically?

I would think this button would do it, but it just shuffled all the songs.

Eddy 'Queue' Cue posted:

Lol who would ever want to do that, why don't they just 'me' them up individually

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
What's the preferred video playing app for iPhone/iPad?

The old Infuse 4 (pro upgrade) is working fine on my iPad, it'll play whatever I throw at it and supports background playback, but unfortunately the iPhone version doesn't support X/XS screens. The new version of Infuse is £49.99 (or £0.99 a month) to enable pro features like background playback which I'm not really willing to pay for a video app. VLC has both features but doesn't let you boost the audio past the default 100% which is something I love that Infuse (and VLC on PC!) can do.

Being able to set AirPod taps to rewind 30sec rather than to the start of the video would be a nice bonus but not a dealbreaker.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Question Mark Mound posted:

What's the preferred video playing app for iPhone/iPad?

The old Infuse 4 (pro upgrade) is working fine on my iPad, it'll play whatever I throw at it and supports background playback, but unfortunately the iPhone version doesn't support X/XS screens. The new version of Infuse is £49.99 (or £0.99 a month) to enable pro features like background playback which I'm not really willing to pay for a video app. VLC has both features but doesn't let you boost the audio past the default 100% which is something I love that Infuse (and VLC on PC!) can do.

Being able to set AirPod taps to rewind 30sec rather than to the start of the video would be a nice bonus but not a dealbreaker.

I'm not sure whether WALTR would serve your needs. But it's a piece of sofwtare which you run on an PC, and it transcodes files and copies them to your device but into the correct native application (e.g. Videos). It also supports copying over WiFi.

https://softorino.com/waltr/

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Thanks for the suggestion! But I'm not sure that would work, video transcoding would take a bit too long, especially when there's other apps that can just play files natively. Plus sometimes I want to get videos from a work PC where installing software is a bit of a hassle.

Forgot to mention another thing that would be handy actually, Infuse apparently has support to spit the video out to Chromecast. I only recently found out that existed and it would be a pretty useful extra feature.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Waltr uses some kind of black magic to transcode insanely fast. Seriously, give it a shot.

Violator
May 15, 2003

VLC on iOS is pretty good. You can connect via WiFi to it and drag and drop videos. I’m not sure about split screen or broadcasting.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
Probably has been asked 100 times before, but not on the OP so:

I own a bluetooth speaker (Anker Soundcore) and I use it with my iPhone (for music when around the house) and with my iPad (for better sound quality/volume when watching youtube). To swap from one device to another, I've been unpairing the speaker from device A, making device B "forget" the speaker and re-pairing it.

I know it's a dumb problem, but those 30 seconds every time I want to swap device have started to be annoying. Is there any way to have the same speaker paired to BOTH devices and be able to choose (from the phone/ipad) which one I want it to be playing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I gave mine away, but as I remember it the Anker Soundcore can not remember two Bluetooth connections, so no.