Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

teagone posted:

Spoilers fellas.

The worst thing is Cap-A travelling to MCU-B to marry Peggy-B, where he presumably — and as such, knowingly — lets Hydra-B fester under SHIELD-B and enables Bucky-B's continued suffering as Hydra-B's ultra assassin man FOR YEARS, all in exchange for him getting to live out the life he wanted with Peggy. I'd say Cap-A earned the right to do that, but it's still hosed up characterization.

i mean there's nothing saying that he couldn't have stopped all that poo poo from happening, saved Bucky, defeated HYDRA again, etc, but i can't think of a single explanation for the Captain America sitting frozen in the ocean that isn't deeply hosed up and selfish for our Cap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

teagone posted:

Spoilers fellas.

The worst thing is Cap-A travelling to MCU-B to marry Peggy-B, where he presumably — and as such, knowingly — lets Hydra-B fester under SHIELD-B and enables Bucky-B's continued suffering as Hydra-B's ultra assassin man FOR YEARS, all in exchange for him getting to live out the life he wanted with Peggy. I'd say Cap-A earned the right to do that, but it's still hosed up characterization.

Going out on a limb here and saying it's almost as though the MCU characterization has been mind-numbingly lazy the entire time and that anything worthwhile that's drawn from its contents comes from fans.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

So what was the deal with Tony seeming confused upon finding out his mother was pregnant when he went back in time? Was this a reference to some comic book stuff?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
What does phil coulsen do in this movie?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I'm loving the reports coming out because it seems like the MCU's "grand storytelling" is more or less being proven for the slapdash inconsistent butt-quilt that it is.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

teagone posted:

Spoilers fellas.

It is left up to the viewer to imagine what he does in that timeline.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

DC Murderverse posted:

i mean there's nothing saying that he couldn't have stopped all that poo poo from happening, saved Bucky, defeated HYDRA again, etc, but i can't think of a single explanation for the Captain America sitting frozen in the ocean that isn't deeply hosed up and selfish for our Cap

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It is left up to the viewer to imagine what he does in that timeline.

Good point, that's possible. But yeah Cap-B in the MCU-B reality is left to do what then after he wakes up? Lol.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The whole "go back and do something to drastically change history" never plays out well when used for narrative purposes (usually it is used as an example of butterfly effect loving things up for worse) and would have resulted in an entirely different plot. They know that the worst case scenario is that Thanos wins, destroys his own weapon, but otherwise every other major villain is defeated and for all they know if anything change ever so slightly the future can be completely hosed up. Tilda makes a good case when she points out that without the Time Stone her reality is completely hosed - the only real weapon against a Lovecraftian Horror that intends to trap all humanity forever in a horrible time-frozen universe as ghosts with purple eyes for all eternity is the Time Stone.

Even their own plan filled with good intents could have backfired tremendously because Thanos B could not care less about his own death when he saw it on screen, but got super mad that his plan didn't work as he envisioned and his new plan is to just destroy the entire universe.

Not that what Cap did isn't filled with logic and plot holes but a broader and more interesting question is "why don't they now use the time stones to fix everything evil with the universe" and the answer is "come on, you know they aren't gonna do that because then there'll be no more movies".

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

teagone posted:

Endgame was... pretty good. The film feels more like a TV show series finale, but I don't mean that as a slight. It's more of an event/celebration than like a movie,

these are fundamentally incompatible.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Alchenar posted:

Actually the thing that gets me is that [spoiler]despite all the foreshadowing, Captain Marvel has all of maybe three minutes of relevance in this film, half of which is CGI and not actually Brie Larson. She is 100% unnecessary to the plot and the action bits given to her could easily have been for anyone else. The 'selling action figure toys to girls' scene actually really annoys me the more I think about it because literally none of those female characters are given anything real to do in the plot and the one female character who is given something to do doesn't appear because she's dead. Disney trying to make bank on female empowerment without actually giving any women top billing is annoying.

edit: i dunno what the hell is happening with spoiler tags so i'm nixing this one. read the quoted post below to see what i said.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

R. Guyovich posted:

worse than that really; there's only one female character with something important to do, and that something is specifically to die. it loving sucks.

I mean Nebula had arguably the 3rd most important role in the whole thing and got to literally murder her old self to prove how much she had grown, that's not nothing. It's not what people were expecting certainly, but she did important things.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

R. Guyovich posted:

these are fundamentally incompatible.

Do you watch Game of Thrones? I ate up all the fanservice in the final episodes of season 7 and am loving the series finale at the moment; it's chockfull of fanservice-y character interactions. I also love James Cameron's Avatar and am looking forward to the sequels. When I said Endgame is more like a TV show series finale, or an event/celebration full of spectacle, I meant it feels like a mashup of what I enjoy about Game of Thrones and Avatar. It's a movie filled to the brim with moments engineered to be the most crowd-pleasing as possible.

And I guess Endgame is more like a "mid-season" finale, not a series finale, since Disney ain't stopping making MCU movies anytime soon.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

teagone posted:

Do you watch Game of Thrones? I ate up all the fanservice in the final episodes of season 7 and am loving the series finale at the moment; it's chockfull of fanservice-y character interactions. I also love James Cameron's Avatar and am looking forward to the sequels. When I say Endgame is like a TV show season finale, or an event/celebration full of spectacle, I mean it's feels like a mash of both of those things of what I enjoy about Game of Thrones and Avatar. It's a movie filled to the brim with moments engineered to be the most crowd-pleasing as possible.

And I guess Endgame is more like a "mid-season" finale, not a series finale, since Disney ain't stopping making MCU movies anytime soon.

in that case the better analogy is a theme park ride.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

DC Murderverse posted:

I mean Nebula had arguably the 3rd most important role in the whole thing and got to literally murder her old self to prove how much she had grown, that's not nothing. It's not what people were expecting certainly, but she did important things.

that's fair but you could also then say both the important things women do in this movie is kill women.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

R. Guyovich posted:

in that case the better analogy is a theme park ride.

Avatar is more like a theme park ride. Endgame is a little different in that it's the culmination of a series of films that were structured in a TV series format. And I've seen all of those movies, so there's a personal investment there that goes beyond it feeling just like a thrill ride.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Mat Cauthon posted:

This would be great characterization for Strange but I'm sure it's not that and instead something like Strange recognizing that the one shot is the timeline/universe where Tony reverts back to being a self-interested dolt and everyone else is an idiot. It's cool to think that maybe winning for Strange isn't just taking Thanos off the board, but also removing Stark, who despite his growth has been shown to be an untapped potential of world-ending ideas/technology that someone could come along and provoke into creating something that just can't be dealt with. That would be some interesting territory, story wise.

i'm sure they'll delve into that interesting territory now that we've had 22 movies of the most boilerplate poo poo imaginable.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
also i loving HATE that they create a very basic, very obvious big lebowski reference with out of shape thor and then have tony stark say 'chin up lebowski' in case nobody got it

i mean come on

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

DC Murderverse posted:

I really want to know, of everyone in the big long credit sequence, who got the least screen time. My guess is Michelle Pfiffer, because I think she was present only at the funeral, and I think everyone else at the funeral either had another scene (Michael Douglas), was in the big battle at the end (Batista) , or wasn't in the main cast credits (teenager from Iron Man 3 out of nowhere)

natalie portman got a credit despite only appearing for 10 seconds via archive footage

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ungulateman posted:

also i loving HATE that they create a very basic, very obvious big lebowski reference with out of shape thor and then have tony stark say 'chin up lebowski' in case nobody got it

i mean come on

It's probably in there for foreign audiences (China) who might not have seen The Big Lebowski, so they learn the reference and can then look it up later.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 26, 2019

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The most important question of the movie

who the hell was the tall kid with the poofy hair behind Wanda at the funeral

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Harlock posted:

The most important question of the movie

who the hell was the tall kid with the poofy hair behind Wanda at the funeral

The kid in Tennessee from Iron Man 3.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

teagone posted:

Wow that's a pull I did not expect.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Regarding the ending, unless I'm missing something couldn't Cap just have returned the stones to MCU-B and then on his way out use the time stone to send him back to MCU-A to live the life he was once denied? There's probably some combination of stones that with Tilda's help could get him back to MCU-A. Then this way Cap gets his happy ending, original frozen Cap stays frozen to preserve the loop, and the Cap we see at the end just knew where to be on that day. This would also give him an excuse not to interfere with Hydra and so on, although it wouldn't necessarily stop him from acting in some capacity either.

An ending like this also means Cap could have a kid out there somewhere.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

GeekyManatee posted:

Going out on a limb here and saying it's almost as though the MCU characterization has been mind-numbingly lazy the entire time and that anything worthwhile that's drawn from its contents comes from fans.

The thought process was obviously that Captain America promises to take Peggy dancing at the end of Captain America 1 - so it would be a nice reference, for the fans, if he finally got to do it!

The problem is that the dance he was talking about was very, very obviously (like, unambiguously blatantly) a metaphor for the afterlife.

So if we do shut off our brains and embrace the fantasy logic, then what happens is - after finally beating Thanos - Steve Rogers shoots himself in the loving head.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Still processing my thoughts beyond Paul Rudd being a national treasure.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

So if we do shut off our brains and embrace the fantasy logic, then what happens is - after finally beating Thanos - Steve Rogers shoots himself in the loving head.

now that's an ending! (I put this in spoilers for reasons I'm not sure of)

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

teagone posted:

Surrogate child #1

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
movie was fun. Didn't have as unambiguously positive a reaction to it as I did with Infinity War. second act kinda drags and the key emotional beats in that part of the film don't really work, but the first and third are pretty great

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I look forward to Avengers 5 dealing with the fallout of a shattered infrastructure being completely unable to deal with the sudden return of 3.5 billion people.

Also, question about the next movie in the MCU does Far From Home take place after this? If so, did Peter and all his classmates get snapped so that's why they're all the same age still?

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Wow. Captain America is Frankie Teardrop.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Medullah posted:

Also, question about the next movie in the MCU does Far From Home take place after this? If so, did Peter and all his classmates get snapped so that's why they're all the same age still?

Far From Home completes Phase 3 according to Feige, and is the first film post Infinity Saga so I'm guessing it takes place after. But nothing officially confirmed. Maybe Far From Home might start a new saga — the Mutant Saga? As for Parker and his classmates... maybe? I was confused why Ned was still in high school at the end of Endgame, since if he wasn't dusted, he shouldn't still be in High School like Peter, but we were never told if he was dusted or not, so I thought that might have been a hiccup. I was told maybe he did get dusted since he didn't look like he aged? The Russo's bros never revealed if Ned was dusted or not after Infinity War though, saying it was too spoiler-y, so maybe that'll be brought up in Far From Home.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
So uh if not having infinity stones in your universe is bad as mentioned by Tilda Swinton, isn't the end of movie situation where the universe has no more stones a bit of a problem?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
do you think endgame 2 is going to grapple with the existential horror of there being 14 million other universes where thano won?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
the time travel rules are just your standard timeline splitting thing. amateur hour poo poo. easy to understand. have you even read homestuck? smh

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

xiw posted:

So uh if not having infinity stones in your universe is bad as mentioned by Tilda Swinton, isn't the end of movie situation where the universe has no more stones a bit of a problem?

Setup for Galactus in the main MCU timeline where there are no more infinity stones?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

teagone posted:

Far From Home completes Phase 3 according to Feige, and is the first film post Infinity Saga so I'm guessing it takes place after. But nothing officially confirmed. Maybe Far From Home might start a new saga — the Mutant Saga? As for Parker and his classmates... maybe? I was confused why Ned was still in high school at the end of Endgame, since if he wasn't dusted, he shouldn't still be in High School like Peter, but we were never told if he was dusted or not, so I thought that might have been a hiccup. I was told maybe he did get dusted since he didn't look like he aged? The Russo's bros never revealed if Ned was dusted or not after Infinity War though, saying it was too spoiler-y, so maybe that'll be brought up in Far From Home.

Yeah that's the problem I'm having. The only way it can take place post Endgame is if Need, MJ and Flash all got dusted, otherwise they're all 5 years older than Peter.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

do you think endgame 2 is going to grapple with the existential horror of there being 14 million other universes where thano won?

Those might not count because it’s a different sort of time travel, but the good guys still totally create and doom a half-dozen universes full of people in order to resurrect Spiderman.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

xiw posted:

That depends. In the comics Infinity Stones can't be destroyed permanently - depending on what story you're reading they either: scatter across the universe after each use, require some kind of cosmic recharge, blow up with the potential to be reformed, or some combination thereof. Plus didn't alternate universe Loki make it into the main timeline with a Tesseract in the movie? So there's always a chance to return to the well if needs be.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Medullah posted:

Yeah that's the problem I'm having. The only way it can take place post Endgame is if Need, MJ and Flash all got dusted, otherwise they're all 5 years older than Peter.

It could also take place in the other branch of reality that also doesn't have a Thanos in it anymore, where the snap potentially never happens.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mat Cauthon posted:

That depends. In the comics Infinity Stones can't be destroyed permanently - depending on what story you're reading they either: scatter across the universe after each use, require some kind of cosmic recharge, blow up with the potential to be reformed, or some combination thereof. Plus didn't alternate universe Loki make it into the main timeline with a Tesseract in the movie? So there's always a chance to return to the well if needs be.

We never see where alternate reality Loki teleported to using the tesseract. The main MCU timeline has no more stones. There's another MCU timeline that does have the stones, but has no Thanos.