Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I saw this a few hours ago and felt pretty positive about the movie, although I don't think it worked as well as Infinity War did. Action wise it was very back-loaded, most of the first half felt like the plot was going through the motions as it set up for the final battle, with just enough humor and a few good character moments to keep me interested. As a consequence the ending felt chaotic and drawn out; so much was going on that I had trouble keeping track of it all, so I'm sure I missed a lot of cool action moments.

I think for most people how much they enjoy this movie will depend a lot on how many of the other Marvel movies they've seen. Almost every movie franchise had a good portion of their cast show up and I was surprised by some of the minor characters that appeared. I agree with whoever said this felt like a series finale, most of the focus was on the original Avengers cast getting resolutions to their stories so their actors can ride off into the sunset if they want.

Setting aside the specifics of the time travel, I think it was very in character of Cap to want to get his happy ending and for that matter it was pretty obvious he was going to do it. I think it's what most of us would do if he were in his position and could time travel to whenever we wanted. We can debate the mechanics but they don't really matter since this is a story and Captain America is made up anyway.

I didn't care as much about Tony Stark's death but I enjoyed his story overall. One of my favorite moments of the movie was near the beginning where Tony appears to have found happiness and stability post-snappening but then we see he still grieves for Peter Parker and that's enough to get him back into action. The scene with his father was interesting, since it's implied that Tony told his dad one of his own sayings, who then passed it on to Tony, creating another causality loop.

Thor was the MVP this movie and made interesting a lot of the plot advancement scenes, more significantly he seemed to be the only character actually having a good time in this movie. I'm actually disappointed to see him dovetail into the GOTG crew especially if it means we don't get more Thor movies.

Hawkeye and Black Widow's suicide fight was one of the highlights of the movie, besides being ridiculous I also liked the bit of characterization of Black Widow committing to this decision shortly after learning the name of the father she never knew.

Count me in as someone who liked the girl power moment in the final battle and thought it was cool. It was just a nice quick reminder that yeah there are some kickass women in these movies.

Thanos was probably the biggest disappointment and this may have been one of the bigger reasons why I came out feeling I enjoyed Infinity War more. OG Thanos dies so early in this movie and is virtually absent for most of the middle of it, and in the end he's not even the same guy they lost to. I would have really liked to see how Thanos' character arc progressed after accomplishing his goal, and imo it's a missed opportunity that they didn't pursue this. Instead we more or less got an hour and a half of the Avengers undoing the stones breaking so they could fight a bad guy who had never even met them before. In the end I thought the time travel stuff was completely unnecessary since they just fixed the present, but I'm guessing the writers couldn't think of a way to part Thanos with the infinity stones besides him blowing them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Those might not count because it’s a different sort of time travel, but the good guys still totally create and doom a half-dozen universes full of people in order to resurrect Spiderman.

Look, Captain was right. They don't trade lives. But collapsing quantum worldlines is a different thing.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

teagone posted:

It could also take place in the other branch of reality that also doesn't have a Thanos in it anymore.

Nah; then you’d have a legit time paradox because Spider-Man’s so influenced by the events of the Avengers movies.

It can only work if it’s a prequel or they seriously jump through hoops to cover up the apocalypse that took place between films.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

I really enjoyed Loki getting back in the game because the cast attempted to commit mischief in front of the god of mischief. It was appropriate!

The movie was fun overall, but I could have used someone straight out telling Thanos his philosophy was dumb, and bad, and pointless. Then again dying twice in a single movie is maybe all the rebuttal required.

The number of callbacks in this movie was amazing. I almost wonder what someone would make of it if it was the only mcu movie they'd seen.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
do they explain why they wouldn't have won if starlord hadn't punched thanos in IW??

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

OB_Juan posted:

The number of callbacks in this movie was amazing. I almost wonder what someone would make of it if it was the only mcu movie they'd seen.

That'd be like asking someone to watch the series finale of a TV show's final season without watching any of the previous 21 seasons.

Nah; then you’d have a legit time paradox because Spider-Man’s so influenced by the events of the Avengers movies.

We don't know this for sure.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Important question: Is Captain Marvel's cat in the movie?

Jay-V posted:

do they explain why they wouldn't have won if starlord hadn't punched thanos in IW??

I think it doesn't matter, it was just impossible to win against Thanos at that point. Even if they got the gauntlet off he would've taken it back.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

OB_Juan posted:

The movie was fun overall, but I could have used someone straight out telling Thanos his philosophy was dumb, and bad, and pointless. Then again dying twice in a single movie is maybe all the rebuttal required.

It’s pretty clear they half-assedly sidelined Dr. Strange because he could have very easily done the same thing he did in his movie: trap Thanos in a time loop and eternally poke holes in his idiot plan.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

It’s pretty clear they half-assedly sidelined Dr. Strange because he could have very easily done the same thing he did in his movie: trap Thanos in a time loop and eternally poke holes in his idiot plan.

Lol, gently caress.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

RatHat posted:

I think it doesn't matter, it was just impossible to win against Thanos at that point. Even if they got the gauntlet off he would've taken it back.

Also the time window for Ant-Man to get stuck in the quantum realm was pretty small

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

RatHat posted:

But sounds like they use the gauntlet to beat him in this one, couldn’t they have used if they got it off him in IW? Ahhh who cares

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

So uh.

is the solo Black Widow movie cancelled or....?

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Thor was the MVP this movie and made interesting a lot of the plot advancement scenes, more significantly he seemed to be the only character actually having a good time in this movie. I'm actually disappointed to see him dovetail into the GOTG crew especially if it means we don't get more Thor movies.

Tessa Thompson hinted very strongly in the past few weeks that Taika rolled up with a Thor 4 idea and Chris Hemsworth's gone on record saying he was sick and tired of Thor before Taika showed up so maybe.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The last 30 minutes were constant sniffles throughout the entire theater

All I could think was...

GoT Sunday: "Hold my beer..."

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

So uh.

is the solo Black Widow movie cancelled or....?

rumors have been, even before Endgame's big thing, that it would be a prequel

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I saw the movie and thought it was really fun and good outside a few quibbles. Kinda shocked at some of the posts I've glanced here that honestly sound like people just reaching for reasons to be mad at it :v:

But hey, to each their own. I had a good time. The girl power scene where all of them came into frame was dumb and I can already see the commercial being made where they all do their poses and a editing wave turns them all into toys "Available Now!"

E: Like just to be clear, the fact it happened is fine whatever but the way it was framed made it look like I was watching a commercial in the middle of the fight. There's gonna be toys on everything here but that one moment just had that tinge to it.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 26, 2019

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

So I really liked it, but I'm of a mind to give it some leeway in the plot. The middle third got super hand-wavey at times, especially considering what happens at the end. They sort of set up rules about how the time travel works and then kind of ignored it all just to get that ending. Also, was I the only person who, when hearing they only had X number of Pym particles to travel back in time, thought, "That's great, go back to just after the first Ant-Man movie and explain things to Hank and get a bunch more?" Yeah, I know, would've reduced the urgency. Also, the speed with which Tony worked out how to time travel was kind of silly, but yeah, if we don't have that we don't have the movie. Whatever, it's comic books.

Lebowski Thor was great. Cap in the elevator was great. Loki bailing was great. Thought sending those two to Vormir was kind of odd until I remembered they didn't actually know what was going to happen there; Nebula knew Thanos took Gamora and she didn't come back, and he said "I had to" when they had him locked down, but they didn't know there was actually a sacrifice involved. That fight was great. Also, I loved the girl power moment even if it's mostly because that's going to make some people on the Internet whine prodigiously. Thor's "I knew it!" The hammer bit we all knew was coming. Finally getting an "Assemble!" Half the universe showing up to kick Thanos's rear end. Scarlet Witch chumping him so hard he called in an airstrike on himself. Weirdly, the worst attack of chopping onions for me was Happy telling Morgan he was going to get her all the cheeseburgers she wanted.

Can't wait to see what comes next, both on the big screen and from Disney+.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

ha ha drat of course they undo Infinity War with time travel making that entire movie one big waste of time

Honestly a movie about the Avengers killing Thanos then learning to live in the broken world would have been more interesting than "lol Thanos followed you back through time and we will repeat the battle from Infinity War"

They honestly seemed off their quip game too.

More plot discussion after sleep

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I saw the movie and thought it was really fun and good outside a few quibbles. Kinda shocked at some of the posts I've glanced here that honestly sound like people just reaching for reasons to be mad at it :v:

But hey, to each their own. I had a good time. The girl power scene where all of them came into frame was dumb and I can already see the commercial being made where they all do their poses and a editing wave turns them all into toys "Available Now!"

Its not really reaching. I don't like the other movies, so I'm immune to fanservice and am looking for other stuff than people who liked the other ones are, for instance. My main thing is that I like genuine moments that draw out a lot of emotion in films, and undercutting those because you're scared of someone complaining is a huge turnoff for me.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Okay, there's going to be ten thousand more Marvel movies inevitably (and I will watch all of them), but do we know if there's going to be any future team-ups/crossovers with the next round of Avengers? Who would even be in a future team line-up? I love the crossover movies the most because I like seeing them interact, even if they're bad.

Besides Thor potentially remaining with the guardians and joining that team..

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Darko posted:

Its not really reaching. I don't like the other movies, so I'm immune to fanservice and am looking for other stuff than people who liked the other ones are, for instance. My main thing is that I like genuine moments that draw out a lot of emotion in films, and undercutting those because you're scared of someone complaining is a huge turnoff for me.

I'm not calling out specific posts or saying anyone's wrong to feel that way but it's just how a handful of the posts come off my dude. There were plenty of genuine moments but damning the entire final fight for example just seems really idiotic. There's 30 something heroes it feels like and of course there's going to be a big goofy war scene. You literally can't expect Thanos to handle 30 something dudes all at once can you (in the MCU anyway)? Hell even those weirdo black order guys (who I think I only saw the psychic one thinking on it now) would still be greatly outnumbered/overpowered. Scoffing at the inevitable just seems pointless.

Some of the complaints in this thread just comes off as whining for the sake of it. Movie isn't a flawless masterpiece but jeez.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 26, 2019

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

coolusername posted:

Okay, there's going to be ten thousand more Marvel movies inevitably (and I will watch all of them), but do we know if there's going to be any future team-ups/crossovers with the next round of Avengers? Who would even be in a future team line-up? I love the crossover movies the most because I like seeing them interact, even if they're bad.

I was wondering this. At the moment I can't imagine what the big finale of Phase 4 is going to be.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Hell even those weirdo black order guys (who I think I only saw the psychic one thinking on it now) would still be greatly outnumbered/overpowered.

I think the female one got murdered so hard in Infinity War that it erased her from the timeline completely

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Joe Russo (one of the directors) portraying a gay man at one of Cap's support group sessions hasn't been brought up here, but it was briefly discussed by myself and one other goon in the BSS movie thread. It was pretty :rolleyes: to me, especially Russo's comments about it:

Joe Russo posted:

[...] it was important that one of us play him, to ensure the integrity and show it is so important to the filmmakers that one of us is representing that. It is a perfect time, because one of the things that is compelling about the Marvel Universe moving forward is its focus on diversity.

I caught poo poo for calling the Russo's self-important/pompous with regards to them releasing a signed statement asking fans not to spoil Endgame, but this is hilarious. Diversity and representation is important, yes, but how would casting an actual LGBTQ actor in that role NOT ensure integrity, as opposed to casting yourself, a straight man. Lmao. This is like when M. Night Shyamalan cast himself as the writer that would change the world for the better in Lady in the Water, but worse.

What's more compelling about the MCU's focus on diversity is how it'll increase profits for Disney: more demographics represented = more money. Corporate BS. Frauds. :jerkbag:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
That was a pretty good movie i think. I really liked the references. Especially The Hail Hydra Elevator ride and I really liked the stuff that was set up years ago, and to have it pay off in this one. The one that made people jump up was the pay off to the worthiness of the hammer

One of my favorites was the very end where Tony Stark's last word in the was the same line that was in the ending of Iron Man 1, and the same line that pretty much propelled this entire movie franchise. "I am Iron Man"

teagone posted:

Joe Russo (one of the directors) portraying a gay man at one of Cap's support group sessions hasn't been brought up here, but it was briefly discussed by myself and one other goon in the BSS movie thread. It was pretty :rolleyes: to me, especially Russo's comments about it:

I caught poo poo for calling the Russo's self-important/pompous with regards to them releasing a signed statement asking fans not to spoil Endgame, but this is hilarious. Diversity and representation is important, yes, but how would casting an actual LGBTQ actor in that role NOT ensure integrity, as opposed to casting yourself, a straight man. Lmao. This is like when M. Night Shyamalan cast himself as the writer that would change the world for the better in Lady in the Water, but worse.

What's more compelling about the MCU's focus on diversity is how it'll increase profits for Disney: more demographics represented = more money. Corporate BS. Frauds. :jerkbag:

That and After seeing one of the last bits Particularly Girl Power to me was just another example of that. I think people are just easily fooled by this corporate bullshit, and i wish these guys were more honest about it. Gotta reach everybody so that you can make the biggest amount of money, just give me that line, but don't bullshit me and tell me you're taking some sort of moral stance.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 26, 2019

Violator
May 15, 2003

So what was Hulk’s arc? I was expecting him to overcome one thing or another to play off his fear from the first movie but that was thrown away as a joke in the diner?

I was impressed that Thor didn’t lose the weight for the final fight. While he was fighting I kept thinking “he’s still fat...”. I also enjoyed that he wore Crocs while sneaking around Asgard.

Edit: the best part of the theater experience was the guy belly laughing at the Hobbs & Shaw trailer.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I like that by this film the Avengers base is a crappy office building in the middle of nowhere. The scenes set just outside it made it look so poo poo.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

teagone posted:

Joe Russo (one of the directors) portraying a gay man at one of Cap's support group sessions hasn't been brought up here, but it was briefly discussed by myself and one other goon in the BSS movie thread...

That's hilarious given they no-homo'd cap so hard he didn't even give Bucky a real hug before dumping him. Kinda mad about the level of queerbaiting that was part of the tour beforehand to be ended with 'straight director acts as bit character for 5 seconds'

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You literally can't expect Thanos to handle 30 something dudes all at once can you (in the MCU anyway)?

Sure they could. Y'know, if the writers, directors and CGI guys were halfway interested in telling an interesting story. Alternatively, you wouldn't cram so many characters into your final setpiece and maybe keep the focus on the original cast. Thano is not real.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
My main thought walking out of the theater was that hundreds of millions are going to die because 7 billion people need to be fed by a world prepared for half of that.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I’ll hand waive the dumb setup for most scenes and try to speak only about the action pieces.

Holy poo poo how do you make the action so boring and forgettable, dunno if it was the choreography or the fact that it was all cg but drat, its supposed to be THE action superhero movie of the year, how could we get this ?

Disappointed :negative:

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

CharlestonJew posted:

I think the female one got murdered so hard in Infinity War that it erased her from the timeline completely

Glaive got impaled by Okoye right after the girl power scene, and I think the big dude got stomped by Giant Giant-Man. Maw got dusted at the end right before Thanos. Didn't see her, though, but it was awful busy.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Necrothatcher posted:

I like that by this film the Avengers base is a crappy office building in the middle of nowhere. The scenes set just outside it made it look so poo poo.

Fun fact! The outside of the base is just a patch of grass outside my old uni's art centre:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Really enjoyed that and loved the endings of some long character arcs and the passing of the torch with others. Can’t wait to see what’s the next phase.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

so what was stan lees final cameo

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Fargin Icehole posted:

One of my favorites was the very end where Tony Stark's last word in the was the same line that was in the ending of Iron Man 1, and the same line that pretty much propelled this entire movie franchise. "I am Iron Man"

Especially given how we were all betting on the last words being "I can do this all day" right before Thanos murders Cap. Nice switcheroo, where Steve gets the happy ending and Tony lays down on the wire.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

kazmeyer posted:

Glaive got impaled by Okoye right after the girl power scene, and I think the big dude got stomped by Giant Giant-Man. Maw got dusted at the end right before Thanos. Didn't see her, though, but it was awful busy.

Glaive and Proxima are holding each other in the background whilst Thanos's army gets dusted. He's already dying from Okoye's wound.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I recently found out that Glaive and Proxima were married. That's absolutely adorable. The couple who slays together, stays together. :3:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

PriorMarcus posted:

Glaive and Proxima are holding each other in the background whilst Thanos's army gets dusted. He's already dying from Okoye's wound.
I caught that during the big scene and thought it was a nice touch.

I also liked the characterization Thanos got. Because his whole deal was "ima gently caress everyone up and sit and be like 'well, job well done'". And instead he has to sit and know that he achieved it but will never get to enjoy it because it was undone.

So my dumb thoughts as just nerd bait payoff to 10 years of an extremely unlikely franchise
It would be nice if one of the follow up movies covers the fact that half the population apparently lived through 5 years of pain and awfulness and the other half just blinked back in place -- Parker's school reunion bit just made me think "You have former classmates that are now in their 20's/in college and you just pick back up with AP Chem?"

Liked how the 3 Mains got their just rewards. Cap, the man out of time, becomes a man out of time. Thor, the unlikely king, giving up his throne to find himself. And Iron Man, the narcissist, finds his heart in his daughter. There were a bunch of scenes that just scratched that fanboy itch, Girl Squad included, that just made me happy as a child the whole runtime.

Is it a movie that I'll go back to a bunch like T2? Probably not. I'll definitely have it in my collection, but more as a capstone to this weird and wonderful 10 year experiment. Part of that is because the whole "gotta move on" thing is just... not? Cap's ending is basically "I never got over losing the time we could have had".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Is it a movie that I'll go back to a bunch like T2? Probably not. I'll definitely have it in my collection, but more as a capstone to this weird and wonderful 10 year experiment. Part of that is because the whole "gotta move on" thing is just... not? Cap's ending is basically "I never got over losing the time we could have had".

The moral of the story is "you'll never find peace until you decide what you really want". It's literally every character's arc who has one: Cap wants the love he lost. Stark needs to save everyone he failed. Thor... thinks he needs to save everyone he failed but actually just wants to give up on responsibility entirely. Hulk/Banner starts the film having completed his arc, which is to find inner balance. Natasha needs to be an Avenger and can't be anything else. Once each of these characters realise what they want then they achieve it and are content. By contrast Thanos can never find the peace he wants because he and his plan are mad so he keeps changing what he wants.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 26, 2019