Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

I mean, we see a lot of her eating birds, and none of her turning into birds.

Tokoyami better watch his back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Rhonne posted:

If Toga drank animal blood, could she turn into that animal?
If she drank Gigantomachia's blood somehow, could she turn into that hulk?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Toga is Tokoyami's mother after she ingests a time traveler's blood

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i watched anthony bourdain eat raw pigs blood soup on a thailand episode of parts unknown so its a shame toga is from somewhere that consuming blood is uncommon

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Poltergrift posted:

As for Toga's newfound power copying, I suspect it's an issue of Uraraka's power being regulated entirely by her biology, without having to be 'activated.' Uraraka triggers her quirk whenever she touches something with her finger pads, so Toga can do that without having to pull an internal "trigger" she can't copy. She'd probably get the same benefits if she copied Shigaraki.

Given how she phrases things, I think it's more like Toga's quirk also works on the same principle as Sylar from Heroes. She has to "understand" how the quirk works to use it as she states she's been watching Ochako and that "love" seems to also acts as a form of analysis. Because this isn't the first time she's shifted into Ochako but there wasn't any indication that she'd also copied her gravity power which as you stated, just requires a touch.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's really simple. Quirks are genetic. Her quirk lets her use the genetic material of someone to become like them. It's just one extra step to access the abilities that their genetics give them. Which of course means that her ability fizzles against Deku.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I think the thing that might be important to remember later is that unlike Monoma or, potentially, All for One, Toga is actually physically taking in part of the person she copies, not merely duplicating the quirk mechanic itself, so the "can't copy stored power" rule might not actually apply since she has some of the original source on hand, potentially including some part of the stored power, as it were.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jose posted:

i watched anthony bourdain eat raw pigs blood soup on a thailand episode of parts unknown so its a shame toga is from somewhere that consuming blood is uncommon

I feel like drinking blood straight out of an open wound is frowned upon everywhere, not just japan

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you think Stain and Vlad King went through similar problems growing up since their quirks are also blood based? Stain is also a violent psychopath, but Vlad King turned out okay.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Rhonne posted:

Do you think Stain and Vlad King went through similar problems growing up since their quirks are also blood based? Stain is also a violent psychopath, but Vlad King turned out okay.

Doesn’t Vlad use his own blood for his quirk? Maybe that’s the difference

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
From the sound of it, Toga did not eat all of Ochaco and Izuku's blood when she transformed into them. Likely just having a lick, so she could briefly use them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

I have a feeling from Toga's reaction she was pretty on the mark. It makes a lot of sense really- I don't think we were seeing what Curious thought was going on but Toga's actual memories.

The memories were actual, but I don't think Toga's quirk was the cause for the behavior like Curious wanted to spin it.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

I feel like drinking blood straight out of an open wound is frowned upon everywhere, not just japan

Toga just needs to find a cute significant other with a healing factor quirk that doesn't mind getting vampire hickeys constantly.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

MonsterEnvy posted:

The memories were actual, but I don't think Toga's quirk was the cause for the behavior like Curious wanted to spin it.
I took Toga's freakout as Curious basically getting it right and Toga trying to reassure herself that she's normal as anyone else.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

This chapter felt like a fantastic HxH chapter.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

Doesn’t Vlad use his own blood for his quirk? Maybe that’s the difference

Maybe, but shooting out your own blood would still probably freak people out, especially when he's a kid. There's a lot of stigma around "villainous quirks" and Vlad King's would probably be labeled as such growing up.

I bet the main difference between them is that Vlad probably had a more supportive family, unlike Toga's who were freaked out by her and kept telling her to "act normal".

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Grouchio posted:

This chapter felt like a fantastic HxH chapter.

The previous chapter had a villain swarm a very killy villain with minions turned into living bombs. Just sayin

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

I took Toga's freakout as Curious basically getting it right and Toga trying to reassure herself that she's normal as anyone else.

Toga's refusal was about a different thing.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Wow, really good chapter. Also surprisingly dark, considering how Hori supposedly disliked how dark the Yakuza arc was. Surprised he went that far in this chapter.

I keep thinking about these cameras though. Is Japan going to see Ochaco murking a couple dozen people?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

From a fight standpoint, kinda lame that Toga got exploded and smashed repeatedly and pulled through, but Lady falls from a few stories and that's it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

I keep thinking about these cameras though. Is Japan going to see Ochaco murking a couple dozen people?
*Flash cut to Eraser and Ochaco making a press conference later that she was not, in fact, hundreds of miles away merking people*

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Grouchio posted:

*Flash cut to Eraser and Ochaco making a press conference later that she was not, in fact, hundreds of miles away merking people*

The one day Uraraka decides to take a hike in the woods all by herself with no witnesses around!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

oh jay posted:

From a fight standpoint, kinda lame that Toga got exploded and smashed repeatedly and pulled through, but Lady falls from a few stories and that's it.

Gravity is the strongest enemy whereas getting slammed into things at terminal velocity are child's play

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

oh jay posted:

I dunno Toga seems pretty royally hosed up

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Toga's a horribly dangerous ninja base state without any powers, getting this Quirk Evolution makes her as dangerous as Dabi, possibly as dangerous as Shigaraki.

She's one of my favorites of the League of Villains so I'm totally cool with her getting a power upgrade.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

So Toga's gonna flex her buttcheeks after stealing Deku's blood and one shot someone?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Was Toga's disguise melting because of her injuries or because of overusing the borrowed Quirk?

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Mraagvpeine posted:

Was Toga's disguise melting because of her injuries or because of overusing the borrowed Quirk?

Possibly both. She's pretty hosed up at this point and it does make a lot of sense to me that using someone's quirk burns through the blood faster than just shapeshifting does.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

oh jay posted:

Toga looks like she's about to fuckin' die(she won't, but she definitely looks it) and Curious's explosions were explicitly stated to be weak but numerous, making them somewhat less lethal than a 200 foot drop onto concrete.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Oddly excited to see the League of Villains become even more threatening. Toga aping Monoma's schtick both terrifies me and makes me look forward to her next encounter with the heroes.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Toga is only able to use Ochako's quirk because of her intense desire to be like Ochako and be with Deku. That's my theory anyway. I don't think she could use just anyone's ability even if she saw how it worked.

That said, this was a hell of a chapter. I haven't said "Jesus loving Christ" out loud while reading a comic since the last time I tried reading something by the NaruTaru author.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I really like the art for this panel in particular

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Cue a million plots of trying to steal Ochaco's blood. I wonder if staying as one person and using their quirk too much has repercussions for her, like eventually rewriting her own DNA to finally be that person or developing an Ochaco personality that doesn't go away.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

oh jay posted:

Exposes one of the flaws in the Superpower Liberation Army's ideology. While its members have trained their quirks to be strong in battle, they put no value on the idea of heroics or defending the weaker members of society, and thus didn't have the Hero reaction to catch her while she was floating/falling and save her life, despite surrounding her in large numbers as she was going up and then down again.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Toga is only able to use Ochako's quirk because of her intense desire to be like Ochako and be with Deku. That's my theory anyway. I don't think she could use just anyone's ability even if she saw how it worked.

That said, this was a hell of a chapter. I haven't said "Jesus loving Christ" out loud while reading a comic since the last time I tried reading something by the NaruTaru author.

I don't think it's just being with Deku.

She thinks of herself and Ochako as kindred spirits, people who are basically the same. Except she sees Ochako and Deku getting along, that Ochako's love is reciprocated and accepted by society, while Toga's seen as a psycho. She wants that. Wants it bad enough to replicate Ochako more than usual.

Oh, and it's nice to have more confirmation that the only reason most people are alive is that Uravity hasn't decided to kill them. Bakugo's right to respect her.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Exposes one of the flaws in the Superpower Liberation Army's ideology. While its members have trained their quirks to be strong in battle, they put no value on the idea of heroics or defending the weaker members of society, and thus didn't have the Hero reaction to catch her while she was floating/falling and save her life, despite surrounding her in large numbers as she was going up and then down again.

I mean everyone around her also got floated and then splatted.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

And not a single one of them had a quirk metapower to fly or jet propel or anything. Lady Curious should have exploded her own fingers to fly like Bakugo.

Like, at least half of 1A has an ability that would have prevented them from splatting and not a single one of these guys do.

oh jay fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 26, 2019

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

oh jay posted:

And not a single one of them had a quirk metapower to fly or jet propel or anything. Lady Curious should have exploded her own fingers to fly like Bakugo.

Like, at least half of 1A has an ability that would have prevented them from splatting and not a single one of these guys do.

Zero gravity is not an easy thing to learn to move in. Why do you think astronauts have to go through so much training?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

RatHat posted:

Zero gravity is not an easy thing to learn to move in. Why do you think astronauts have to go through so much training?

They were in normal gravity for the 5ish seconds on the way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

She was too busy thinking about her next article to stop the fall.