Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Liking it so far, but it really needs an optimization pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Quixotic1 posted:

I think the boats can not be in port? when they are at sea in the same place as the army you just right click the army onto the boats.

Ah that worked.

Thing is the automatic transport worked before, but it seems to have stopped working entirely. The boats just go sail to a random port and sit there if I set them on "support naval landings".

How do you make more money? Just stack modifiers for tax/trade? Same for manpower, like what do you do to build it up?

Playing as Epirus and started taking a foothold in Italy only to watch the Etruscans just smash the Romans to pieces. Rome is literally like 2 lovely mountain cities now. Gotta fight mega-Etrusca for the cheevo now oh boi.

edit: Also not sure how the game is calculating the battle odds. Quite a few battles were red/yellow only for me to just stack-wipe an army with ease. While a bunch of green "you're gonna win ez" battles came down to the wire. Like it's not taking troop bonuses or troop types into account?

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 26, 2019

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Paradox 1.0 games are always lacking in content other than the essentials. This game will be good after two major expansions like the other ones.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Not so sure. It seems copy pasted from EU:Rome in a lot of ways and that was eventually deemed unsalvagable and abandoned.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I feel like I'm absolutely swimming in Religious power. I'm already at +3 stability and have been pumping out omens left and right. I just don't know what to spend it on.

The game is very much a 1.0 Paradox game, I think even moreso than HOI4 and, dare I say, Stellaris. I don't get the feeling that I really have anything to do besides just take provinces and blob.

I'm sure multiplayer will make things more interesting but, yeah. Look I've bought every single Paradox DLC ever, so I guess I'm The Problem (tm), but it feels like each 1.0 release just gets more and more barebones.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Playing as a tribal, any tips for keeping clan leaders loyal?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Really surprised you can't block straits with a navy. Always been a pretty good use of naval supremacy.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
Maybe it is like in Eu4? If they control both provinces it's not blocked. If you own one/one is occupied, it's blocked. Haven't tested it though.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I am disappointed so far. I should have waited a year or two. But at least I had the sense to not buy the deluxe edition.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 26, 2019

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Anyone who thinks this game is worse than EU4 or Stellaris on release is a gigantic dumb butt hth

Drone posted:

I feel like I'm absolutely swimming in Religious power. I'm already at +3 stability and have been pumping out omens left and right. I just don't know what to spend it on.

The game is very much a 1.0 Paradox game, I think even moreso than HOI4 and, dare I say, Stellaris. I don't get the feeling that I really have anything to do besides just take provinces and blob.

Convert pops! You're basically intended to keep omens up permanently so the excess religious power is purely for events and conversions

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

RabidWeasel posted:

Anyone who thinks this game is worse than EU4 or Stellaris on release is a gigantic dumb butt hth

Convert pops! You're basically intended to keep omens up permanently so the excess religious power is purely for events and conversions

I'm Crete, my pops are already 100% my desired culture/religion.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

alcaras posted:

Playing as a tribal, any tips for keeping clan leaders loyal?

What I did was pick the -corruption idea, and then bribe them when they get disloyal. The idea is needed to let corruption tick down to 0 between each bribe. It gets expensive if they have lots of loyal regiments, so then you might just let them revolt as one family revolting when you have two others to fight them with is not so bad. Not sure if that is viable long term if you have like 8 clan leaders. I only had 4.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Switched over to Egypt for a bit. Wasn't there supposed to be some kind of event or something (is it on Ptolemy's death?) that pops up giving you the option to change your ruler to Egyptian culture and Kemetic religion?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Pooned posted:

Maybe it is like in Eu4? If they control both provinces it's not blocked. If you own one/one is occupied, it's blocked. Haven't tested it though.

Ah, that's probably it. Haven't played EU4 in years, before that rule was around.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Drone posted:

Switched over to Egypt for a bit. Wasn't there supposed to be some kind of event or something (is it on Ptolemy's death?) that pops up giving you the option to change your ruler to Egyptian culture and Kemetic religion?

You'll get an event to embrace the cult of Serapis, which lowers the penalty for religious unity I think? Or you can just convert to Kemetic but that will piss all your nobles off

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

So far the game seems like a straightforward map painting exercise with classical trappings. I doubt it’ll keep my attention for more than a handful of games, but it’s also exactly what I was expecting, so I wouldn’t quite call myself disappointed. More like confirmed in my cynicism, I guess?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

i'm having a lot of fun tbh. I played like two hours as Egypt which taught me most of the systems but was so easy i couldn't gently caress up. I started again as scordisci in hungary and it's a lot more dicey and interesting.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

To all people complaining about "there's not much to do except paint the map", what were you expecting?

I mean, that's literally all EU4 is all about even today. I do, until now, have a harder time managing my country in Imperator than in EU4 so there's arguably more to do at peace in launch Imperator (managing the senate, families and characters is not terribly difficult, but it's quite involved) than in end-of-life EU (which besides estates, that you might or might not interact with, has really nothing much about internal management despite a shitton of DLC)

Of course I agree that the whole thing feels flavorless and could have benefited from a few more months in the oven, and I'm sure it will end up feeling "samey" when I played a few games, but since this is not a quick game, when I get there it will be probably time for a big patch/DLC that will sort some things out :)

- I like not having an army limit, I always thought that if I'm richer than Croesus I should be able to field all the men I want.
- I like having multiple unit types and stances, makes combat a bit more like CK2 than EU4 and I prefer that
- I like the loyalty mechanic for generals and their cohorts, effectively encourages you to have multiple stacks even when you're still relatively small, vs EU4 where I have 1 giant doomstack for most of the game until I get so huge I need multiples
- I like that there always seems to be something to do with your powers, but you don't really feel starved for them (as it often happens in EU4) - generally power costs are small enough that you won't be out of any button to click for more than a couple of months, with of course the big exception of military traditions
- I LOVE scrolling the map with WASD

- I don't really like the fact that there are no missions of any kind, the tutorial objectives show that they have the framework to do missions in position but probably those didn't make it in time for release
- I don't really care for the fact that families have to be appeased, sometimes things seem to spiral out of control (after the tutorial I had a family which had like 6 adult males, all around 18-20 years old, and they all wanted positions... drat you, I already have every spot filled, and until a TON of people die you'll have to wait)
- I don't like the fact that there don't seem to be that many events (but it's still very early on, I have like 6 hours clocked in) and that some powers are clearly better than others because they have more ways to be usefully spent
- I don't like that there don't seem to be many events or different ways to spend power (I can think of 2-3 uses for each kind, which is pretty low compared to EU - but again that's an end-of-life game full of DLC, while Imperator literally launched yesterday), in the long run that will be boring, but I assume that's the easiest part to "fix"

- the UI is neutral - some things are great, but the lack of a ledger is a HUGE oversight (can't believe it is a voluntary choice seeing how close Imperator's DNA is to EU4's), things are hidden/obfuscated sometimes, it is messy and overall there's plenty of room for improvement

basically, for someone like me who was waiting for the lovechild of EU4 and CK2, this is already a great game and will only become better, so buy buy buy

for someone who expected a game that was radically different from the other Paradox games, eeeeh, it's more a "get it on sale" or "get it after a few DLC/patches"

for someone who expected a fully fleshed out and polished game on release, why are you even here? I said earlier in the Paradox general thread that Paradox games are always barebones at launch, and people were telling me it's not true, HOI4 was great, etc... but now I can see I was definitely right :D this does have the Stellaris vibe , but having real countries and places and history behind it it's much more focused of course

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 26, 2019

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009
Is this game Stellaris on launch where there's a core here but it's going to take some pretty serious overhauls to make it into something that's actually fun long term or is it CK2 on launch where there's a playable solid core here but there's a ton of room to add to it in a sensible way but also a few notable gaps?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So I'm doing an Egypt playthrough and am taking a different approach to the game, similar to what I'd do in Stellaris or CK2: trying to immerse myself in emergent story rather than, er, properly playing the game.

Granted, there's not a TON of emergent storytelling happening here compared to CK2 just because of how much less of it there is baked into the game itself, but it's definitely got a lot of potential to promote that feel with future expansion. When I got the Serapis Cult event, I decided to go whole-hog and convert my state culture to Egyptian and my religion to Kemetic, pissing off basically all of my nobles (who are all Greek Hellenists). It's been a fun ~5 years so far of holding my breath and keeping people from revolting. The charismatic leader of my largest army went rogue and started trying to collaborate with two of my potential heirs (son and daughter) to start a civil war against me. When I got the event that the general approached my son, I took the option to bribe the kid into not joining the general; and the event for the daughter "failed" because she and the general just hated each other too much to work together.

So this rogue general is unable to solicit much support for his rebellion, but he still has my largest army in his pocket. He's now at 0% loyalty. Suddenly, I get a message that the head of one of the other noble families -- an Egyptian Kemetic lady nonetheless -- murdered the general because of a rivalry.

Felt kinda neat.

Archaeology Hat posted:

Is this game Stellaris on launch where there's a core here but it's going to take some pretty serious overhauls to make it into something that's actually fun long term or is it CK2 on launch where there's a playable solid core here but there's a ton of room to add to it in a sensible way but also a few notable gaps?

At this point I'd say its much closer to CK2-at-launch than Stellaris-at-launch, at least in terms of "completeness".

Drone fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Apr 26, 2019

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Aaaah can someone explain why I get 4 tyranny when I declare wars? Is there a council somewhere like in CK2? Where can I find it, how can I see what the problem is? Why isn't this mentioned even once in the tutorial?

I'm doing the tutorial and I am at the part where I'm supposed to take over the southern part of Italy but I can't declare any wars without getting tyranny what the gently caress come on. Can anyone explain this poo poo without linking to some video where some troglodyte slowly mumbles for hours about poo poo I don't care about?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

TjyvTompa posted:

Aaaah can someone explain why I get 4 tyranny when I declare wars? Is there a council somewhere like in CK2? Where can I find it, how can I see what the problem is? Why isn't this mentioned even once in the tutorial?

I'm doing the tutorial and I am at the part where I'm supposed to take over the southern part of Italy but I can't declare any wars without getting tyranny what the gently caress come on. Can anyone explain this poo poo without linking to some video where some troglodyte slowly mumbles for hours about poo poo I don't care about?

You have a Senate that has to approve of your war, otherwise you get tyranny (since you're a republic). In that respect it's just like CK2. Monarchies don't have that problem.

There is apparently a button somewhere that will show you why the Senate isn't agreeing to the war but I'll be hosed if I know where it is. The tutorial is fantastically bad.

Straight from the horse's mouth:

pdxjohan posted:

Click the senate hand and all factions will tell you why they view an issue like they do

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Drone posted:

You have a Senate that has to approve of your war, otherwise you get tyranny (since you're a republic). In that respect it's just like CK2. Monarchies don't have that problem.

There is apparently a button somewhere that will show you why the Senate isn't agreeing to the war but I'll be hosed if I know where it is.

Straight from the horse's mouth:

Thank you, I will find this "senate hand" and click on it and supposedly I will immediately understand how it works.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

TjyvTompa posted:

Thank you, I will find this "senate hand" and click on it and supposedly I will immediately understand how it works.

I think it's on the declare war screen. Like in EU4, you know when you call your allies to war and there's either the red X, the green checkmark, or the little hand where it shows you if they'd be willing to join your war? I think it's similar to that.

I have no idea though, this UI is Uncommonly Bad for a Paradox game and I'm pretty sure people have said this from the beginning.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
It's right next to the declare war option.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

TjyvTompa posted:

There is a whole "Government" tab (I think it's the second round button on top, under the laurel, scroll, sun powers etc) which will show you the senate, composition, party leaders... everything

when you go to the diplomacy screen and there is the "declare war" button, next to it (and also next to most other actions) there is a hand which represent the opinion of the senate: it will either be thumbs up (the majority of the senate approves: ok to declare war/do the action!), thumbs down (majority of senate disapproves: you can't declare war/do the action!) or "undecided" hand (senate is divided: you can declare war/do the action but you'll get 5 tyranny!)

It's pretty similar to the CK2 council mechanic - true, the tutorial didn't explain it at all and it sucks, but if you have some previous CK2/EU4 experience the game isn't THAT obscure ;)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 26, 2019

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

TorakFade posted:

There is a whole "Government" tab (I think it's the second round button on top, under the laurel, scroll, sun powers etc) which will show you the senate, composition, party leaders... everything

when you go to the diplomacy screen and there is the "declare war" button, next to it (and also next to most other actions) there is a hand which represent the opinion of the senate: it will either be thumbs up (the majority of the senate approves: ok to declare war/do the action!), thumbs down (majority of senate disapproves: you can't declare war/do the action!) or "undecided" hand (senate is divided: you can declare war/do the action but you'll get 5 tyranny!)

It's pretty similar to the CK2 council mechanic - true, the tutorial didn't explain it at all and it sucks, but if you have some previous CK2/EU4 experience the game isn't THAT obscure ;)

Thank you (and everyone else of course)!

I am very experienced with CK2 which is why I was so confused that there wasn't an easy way of seeing this council. The icon beside the DoW button is also very "anonymous" it is much easier to see in CK2 because the icon changes color and appearance (a red cross, a green checkmark et.c.).
The everything-is-marble UI of this game just makes everything float together, very hard to spot buttons or clickable icons.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Hadn't occurred to me but you can make friends with a ruler in order to increase their country's opinion. I like the friending process too, I'm sure it will become repetitive but it feels organic enough.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
As far as declaring war goes - it seems much easier to get the senate to agree to threatening war, so you can often get your war anyway without any tyranny by finding a city that your opponent isn't willing to give up (like their capital) and then threatening war for it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Archaeology Hat posted:

On a Stellaris—EUIV—CK2–HOI4 spectrum I’d say it falls somewhere between Stellaris and EUIV. Nowhere close to the ludicrous amount of poo poo HOI had going on at launch.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

TorakFade posted:

To all people complaining about "there's not much to do except paint the map", what were you expecting?

I mean, that's literally all EU4 is all about even today. I do, until now, have a harder time managing my country in Imperator than in EU4 so there's arguably more to do at peace in launch Imperator (managing the senate, families and characters is not terribly difficult, but it's quite involved) than in end-of-life EU (which besides estates, that you might or might not interact with, has really nothing much about internal management despite a shitton of DLC)

Of course I agree that the whole thing feels flavorless and could have benefited from a few more months in the oven, and I'm sure it will end up feeling "samey" when I played a few games, but since this is not a quick game, when I get there it will be probably time for a big patch/DLC that will sort some things out :)

- I like not having an army limit, I always thought that if I'm richer than Croesus I should be able to field all the men I want.
- I like having multiple unit types and stances, makes combat a bit more like CK2 than EU4 and I prefer that
- I like the loyalty mechanic for generals and their cohorts, effectively encourages you to have multiple stacks even when you're still relatively small, vs EU4 where I have 1 giant doomstack for most of the game until I get so huge I need multiples
- I like that there always seems to be something to do with your powers, but you don't really feel starved for them (as it often happens in EU4) - generally power costs are small enough that you won't be out of any button to click for more than a couple of months, with of course the big exception of military traditions
- I LOVE scrolling the map with WASD

- I don't really like the fact that there are no missions of any kind, the tutorial objectives show that they have the framework to do missions in position but probably those didn't make it in time for release
- I don't really care for the fact that families have to be appeased, sometimes things seem to spiral out of control (after the tutorial I had a family which had like 6 adult males, all around 18-20 years old, and they all wanted positions... drat you, I already have every spot filled, and until a TON of people die you'll have to wait)
- I don't like the fact that there don't seem to be that many events (but it's still very early on, I have like 6 hours clocked in) and that some powers are clearly better than others because they have more ways to be usefully spent
- I don't like that there don't seem to be many events or different ways to spend power (I can think of 2-3 uses for each kind, which is pretty low compared to EU - but again that's an end-of-life game full of DLC, while Imperator literally launched yesterday), in the long run that will be boring, but I assume that's the easiest part to "fix"

- the UI is neutral - some things are great, but the lack of a ledger is a HUGE oversight (can't believe it is a voluntary choice seeing how close Imperator's DNA is to EU4's), things are hidden/obfuscated sometimes, it is messy and overall there's plenty of room for improvement

basically, for someone like me who was waiting for the lovechild of EU4 and CK2, this is already a great game and will only become better, so buy buy
A formula that was interesting ten games ago can be just insulting today, eu4 was also bad and extremely stale / underwhelming, and from everything ive seen this holds no promise to be any more innovative than eu4.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Wait, HoI4 is on the upper end of the spectrum? I definitely remember launch CK2 and EU4 feeling like complete games, which is not an experience I had with HoI4 or Stellaris.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Game is unstable as hell - keeps freezing or crashing at random times. I've got a repeatable crash every time I select the scorned families notification too.

My computer is well above minimum specs too and I still get horrible stutter, I don't know if they're related.

Es: we're talking five or six crashes or freezes in the last two hours Ive been trying to play, it's just not playable in this state and that's disappointing.

Pogue_Mahone
Aug 23, 2007

Pissehead in the Making

MinistryofLard posted:

Game is unstable as hell - keeps freezing or crashing at random times. I've got a repeatable crash every time I select the scorned families notification too.

My computer is well above minimum specs too and I still get horrible stutter, I don't know if they're related.

Es: we're talking five or six crashes or freezes in the last two hours Ive been trying to play, it's just not playable in this state and that's disappointing.

Sounds like there is a lot of issues with stuttering/lag on the day cycle. It is pretty noticeable on my new pc too (GTX1660 Ti and Ryzen 7 7200x) so yeah, unsurprisingly, its a paradox release that is shittily optimized. Weird that it wasn't obvious on any live streams though. Hopefully it will be patched soon...

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Gotta love the people on reddit complaining about the game being too easy

after playing the tutorial.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Also is almost all of Ireland, bits of Scotland, and a massive band of land between the Netherlands to Germany meant to be uninhabited?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

MinistryofLard posted:

Also is almost all of Ireland, bits of Scotland, and a massive band of land between the Netherlands to Germany meant to be uninhabited?

Colonizable land a la EU4.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

TorakFade posted:

for someone who expected a fully fleshed out and polished game on release, why are you even here? I said earlier in the Paradox general thread that Paradox games are always barebones at launch, and people were telling me it's not true, HOI4 was great, etc... but now I can see I was definitely right :D this does have the Stellaris vibe , but having real countries and places and history behind it it's much more focused of course

I dunno, it feels pretty fleshed out to me.

I've played as Etruria and Bosporan Kingdom (it's in Crimea) and both certainly didn't feel like a boring vanilla factions, both had as interesting situation and configuration as any non-major nation in EU4. And my Etruria was completely destroyed by Rome on my both tries even though game went into a different directions to that destination of destroying me. It feels like a real game right here right now, while both Stellaris and HoI4 were barely games last I've checked. Both of them want you to click things suggested by alerts and it's enough to take you to a victory screen. You can also read some nice event descriptions along the way. Imperator requires me to think about enemy army composition and not wanting to annex some of their more problematic land and in my book, it brings it ahead of every other Paradox game at least in some respects.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So uh, how do I see how many slaves I get when I siege a province?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Drone posted:

So uh, how do I see how many slaves I get when I siege a province?

Floating text over the province when the siege is won. Isn't guaranteed if there's low population in the province.

They should have included it in the popup, but it's there at least.