Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Razorwired posted:

Somewhere I read that celebrities and wannabe celebrities both like the Simpsons because getting a guest spot is a pretty big status symbol.

Al Gore turned down a guest spot and went on to lose the 2000 election. Ever since then there’s been a Hollywood Curse on turning down a guest appearance on The Simpsons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Razorwired posted:

Somewhere I read that celebrities and wannabe celebrities both like the Simpsons because getting a guest spot is a pretty big status symbol.

Al Jean and the production staff just seem like starfuckers, too. With how low ratings are, he probably sees celebrity guest appearances as something to keep the show alive.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I remember back in the early days when it was considered shameful to be a guest on The Simpsons.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Iron Crowned posted:

I remember back in the early days when it was considered shameful to be a guest on The Simpsons.

I think back in those days it was considered shameful to be a guest on TV in general outside of late night talk shows or SNL.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

And when he breaks through and Bart immediately recognizes him like they're old buddies cracks me up even though I don't think it's supposed to be funny.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Flannelette posted:

And when he breaks through and Bart immediately recognizes him like they're old buddies cracks me up even though I don't think it's supposed to be funny.

It's absolutely supposed to be funny. That's the joke.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The_Rob posted:

It's absolutely supposed to be funny. That's the joke.
Along with Homer immediately shoving Sting out of the way.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Jesus tucking Christ Trudeau is going to be on the Simpson’s

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The joke will be an Turdeau in the bottom left corner.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Alright gently caress it since Youtube recommends me this stuff, I'll just pull the pin and throw them at the thread from time to time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArRzap67PtU

Something I've always noticed about new Simpsons. seems to be this dialogue thing that's "Simpsons for the seeing-impaired" where they are literally saying what's happening on screen like "The floorboard broke my night stand!" or "I'm arranging the clip art in my mind!"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Plan Z posted:

Alright gently caress it since Youtube recommends me this stuff, I'll just pull the pin and throw them at the thread from time to time:

Something I've always noticed about new Simpsons. seems to be this dialogue thing that's "Simpsons for the seeing-impaired" where they are literally saying what's happening on screen like "The floorboard broke my night stand!" or "I'm arranging the clip art in my mind!"

Because without it, how will you know what to laugh at?!

Also gently caress you for making me watch that clip

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
It’s funnier at a table read!!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
"gosh, i thought i heard the sound of a woman measuring" was pretty funny, i have to admit

nothing else was though

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Plan Z posted:

I watch the old episodes on Youtube, and it's more like these people find most throwaway jokes hilarious or enjoy a joke without really knowing what it's going for. Like you'll see people who think Krusty's "Me so solly" bit is just funny on its own, or "'If I ever stop loving cartoon violence, kill me,' AHAHA lol the best line in the whole show!!!!"

Reminds me of when I saw The Simpsons Movie. The theater was packed and by far the biggest laughs came from the spiderpig song and Homer being bounced back and fourth between a rock and a hard place.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Plan Z posted:

It wouldn’t be that bad of a clip if it wasn’t for that constantly happening.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
They know that everybody is just browsing their phones during the episodes so they have to announce all the funny parts out loud.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Fish of hemp posted:

They know that everybody is just browsing their phones during the episodes so they have to announce all the funny parts out loud.

That was before the ubiquity of smartphones. They've been pulling this poo poo for at least 12 years now!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Plan Z posted:

Not to defend this awful, awful show or anything. But the reason Marge said the floorboard line out loud was to set up the joke for the magazine. I mean, it's still a clumsy way to lead into a joke, but there was a point to it.

But the worst thing about that clip is noticing that it's from season 18 and thinking to myself 'wow, the Simpsons was so young back then". :aaa:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

The show has a lot of issues with joke set ups. I think I might have mentioned it in this thread earlier, but the floorboard thing sort of reminds me of the episode with Frank Grimes son. By the end, Lisa shows up to proclaim that she's figured out who was trying to kill homer, that being Bumblebee Man, written on a piece of paper. The idea of Lisa not only being so wildly wrong, but also pointing to a character that probably hadn't even been on the show in years, is a pretty good gag. The problem though, is why would she write it on a piece of paper? Would she have forgotten if she didn't write it down? Has she never been aware of BBM before?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think showing the audience while Lisa tries to play it off is funnier than having her say it out loud would be. That's an example of good joke delivery.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Mr Interweb posted:

The show has a lot of issues with joke set ups. I think I might have mentioned it in this thread earlier, but the floorboard thing sort of reminds me of the episode with Frank Grimes son. By the end, Lisa shows up to proclaim that she's figured out who was trying to kill homer, that being Bumblebee Man, written on a piece of paper. The idea of Lisa not only being so wildly wrong, but also pointing to a character that probably hadn't even been on the show in years, is a pretty good gag. The problem though, is why would she write it on a piece of paper? Would she have forgotten if she didn't write it down? Has she never been aware of BBM before?

Are you serious

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

loving hell. Why did I click that?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

But the worst thing about that clip is noticing that it's from season 18 and thinking to myself 'wow, the Simpsons was so young back then". :aaa:

No it wasn't, it had been going for 18 seasons

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Plan Z posted:

Nothing can top the time Lisa had a tiger in the attic that bites Bart on the arm and he exclaims “My arm! It hurts where the tiger is biting it!”

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Those kind of jokes are trying to ape the is this about my cube bit from Homer the Smithers

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Plan Z posted:

Huge missed opportunity to not call the Time-Life books uh... Prime-Wife or some poo poo like that

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Mime-mife

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

emgeejay posted:

Huge missed opportunity to not call the Time-Life books uh... Prime-Wife or some poo poo like that

Doesn't read well at the table

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think showing the audience while Lisa tries to play it off is funnier than having her say it out loud would be. That's an example of good joke delivery.

No, I got it, and I agree it's funny. At least conceptually. I'm just saying the way it was done makes no sense within the context of the show.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Are you serious

What?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I think a huge problem is that the showrunners no longer take the time to turn conceptually funny ideas into actual funny jokes.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That’s actually the perfect way to frame it. Classic Simpsons had jokes. Nu-Simp just has ideas stitched together.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I watched some of the commentary tracks on the season 4 DVD and it seemed like they always spent some time playing around with the timing and delivery of each joke to see what worked best in the actual cartoon. Like when Maggie's dangling down from the airvent to retrieve the keys to the locker, should she rotate twice or three times? Losing that attention to detail later on is really noticeable.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

Doesn't read well at the table

I really do think this one of the reasons. A lot of jokes I see on shows as they get older, I think to myself "It's probably really funny to hear H. Jon Benjamin blurt that out in person, but it's really not as funny here as they seem to think."

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/businessinsider/status/1121577129508884480

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

lol I like the part where he says the current writers are "smart, funny, and talented"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I like the part when he almost forms a complete sentence

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Holy poo poo, this explains so so much

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Stalizard posted:

I would rather watch a new Simpsons than keep hearing nerd opinions detailing the intricacies of the animaniacs, christ

Anyway the Simpsons was good through Bart the Mother and I can watch it all the way up until the episode with The Who and that's when I tap out and you should too

Rember that that time when homer stopped the slide

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/godstrawberris/status/1121919631957069825?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

finalellipsis posted:

lol I like the part where he says the current writers are "smart, funny, and talented"

I wonder if this is the same Joel Cohen that Bill Murray signed on to do Garfield with, believing he was actually going to be working with Joel Coen of the Coen brothers