Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

R. Guyovich posted:

in the absence of an organized left immiserated people DO turn to fascism, do you have any more incredible insights to share
Nothing beyond the original point of Top City Homo being wrong that Eastern Germany has no nazis today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

frankenfreak posted:

Nothing beyond the original point of Top City Homo being wrong that Eastern Germany has no nazis today.

dude the denazification program ran for 40 years

christ

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Top City Homo posted:

dude the denazification program ran for 40 years
And yet, there's nazis today. Which you claimed there are not.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

frankenfreak posted:

And yet, there's nazis today. Which you claimed there are not.

Yeah, if you look st the history of the Former GDR after 1989 it isn’t that surprising. It has been 30 years.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
what is the utility of disproving the claim that there are no Nazis in the former GDR? Which country doesn't have a resurgent fascist movement in it as of 2019?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/chinesebot2b/status/1121053322633285632?s=21

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

u can't just not post the companion tweet

https://twitter.com/ChineseBot2B/status/1121071192897572864

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

tino posted:

The only DDR I know is Dance Dance Revolution.

This is what we need to focus on. This is the real issue.

Theres like no DDR machines in China just a bunch of PIU and that whatever Chinese PIU knockoff. PIU is inferior to DDR in every way Xi Jinping get your poo poo together.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

No doubt history will someday judge this as belonging to the "70% correct" part of Xi Jinping Thought.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BrainDance posted:

This is what we need to focus on. This is the real issue.

Theres like no DDR machines in China just a bunch of PIU and that whatever Chinese PIU knockoff. PIU is inferior to DDR in every way Xi Jinping get your poo poo together.

Whoa whoa whoa, that is bullshit. Banya is so much better than naoki

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

GoutPatrol posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, that is bullshit. Banya is so much better than naoki

that's thorium, jerry! thorium!

coathat
May 21, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

what is the utility of disproving the claim that there are no Nazis in the former GDR? Which country doesn't have a resurgent fascist movement in it as of 2019?

No one was making that claim just a hater claiming that post unification growth of the new nazi movement reflects badly on East German denazification.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

coathat posted:

No one was making that claim just a hater claiming that post unification growth of the new nazi movement reflects badly on East German denazification.

Really makes you wonder what changed. :thunk:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

coathat posted:

did anything happen from 1989 to 2019 to catalyze this or can we still blame the ddr for german proud boys

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

frankenfreak posted:

Yes, all that sprung into existence as soon as people put the first cracks in the wall and not because the GDR did nothing to combat underground neo-nazism because that would be admitting failure as an antifascist state. :rolleyes:
People say this and then turn around and say the stasi went to far

East Germany is the ultimate "why did you make me hit you?" In history

i say swears online posted:

did anything happen from 1989 to 2019 to catalyze this or can we still blame the ddr for german proud boys

The same thing that happened to the rest of Europe after the fall of the USSR

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

tino posted:

The only DDR I know is Dance Dance Revolution.

Deutsche Demokratische Republik

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░▀▀▀████▄▄░░░░░░░
░░░░░▄███████▀░░░░░░░░░▀▀████▄░░░░░
░░░▄███████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀████▄░░░
░▄█████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███▄░░
████████████▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███▄░
░▀███▀▀░░▀█████▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████░
░░░▀░░░░░░░▀█████▄░░░░░░░░░░░░████░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀████▄░░░░░░░░░░████░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀████▄░░░░░░░░████░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀████▄▄░░░░▄████░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█████▄░▄████▀░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█████████▀░░
░░░░░▄██▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████▀░░░
░░░▄███████▄▄▄░░░░░░▄▄██████████▄░░
░░▀████▀▀██████████████████▀▀████░░
░░░░▀▀░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀░░░░░▀▀░░░

Top City Homo has issued a correction as of 20:35 on Apr 25, 2019

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

fresh MISSILE GAP mongering, awooo!

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/china-army-rockets/

lmao

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

oh no OH NO

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Guess who's winning the Darwin award this year? :smug:

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

ahahhhhahhhahahahhahaha check this poo poo out

Unbiased Reuters Man posted:

To be sure, while China's missile fleet has indisputably grown more formidable, the reliability, accuracy and payloads of its weapons have yet to be tested in battle. China hasn't fought a war since invading Vietnam in 1979. The U.S. arsenal of air and sea-launched missiles, by contrast, has been tried and proven repeatedly in wars over the past two decades.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
I read the whole loving article and there is nothing new. The only surprise is China has "good cop" retired general and "bad cop" retired general to do sound bites for the Western press.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

How dare the inscrutable celestial build a hard counter to our floating fortresses

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i'm still losing my poo poo over the ooga booga china threat article saying "well china hasn't fired its weapons in a war in 40 years, but"

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Their missiles and bases are less about attacking the US / Australia or whatever and more about securing force projection over the South China sea so they can solidify their claims on the resources there.

The article also mentions the INF, and honestly I'd love to see the INF expanded to every nuclear state but there's zero chance of that happening under Trump and even less of a chance of China ever agreeing to it.

quote:

The two officers identified a mock target that appeared to be a mirror image of the inner harbor at Yokosuka base, home port for the U.S. carrier USS Ronald Reagan and its battle group. In their report for the Center for a New American Security, a Washington-based research group, the two officers said the target had outlines of angled piers similar to those at Yokosuka and the shapes of three warships about the same size as the U.S. destroyers based at the port.

Whoa what the gently caress missiles designed to strike at destroyers are being tested on fake ships that are about as big as destroyers?! holy poo poo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The fact the Chinese haven't used their weapons just makes them all the more inscrutable.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

https://twitter.com/georgiamarxist/status/1121054941370515457

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/rllyrina/status/1121059849704329216

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

australia attempts to slip out the side entrance on this tweet re: killing coral

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

took me a hot minute to figure out that this was all about the summer's biggest comics book movie

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

i'm sad to report that unproven chinese long range missiles have destroyed the frozen body of walter disney and all marvel movies are canceled

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Too long have we ignored the threat of China's Monkey King blockbusters

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
China has developed a weapon to surpass metal gear:

5g phones

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

frankenfreak posted:

Yes, all that sprung into existence as soon as people put the first cracks in the wall and not because the GDR did nothing to combat underground neo-nazism because that would be admitting failure as an antifascist state. :rolleyes:

I mean East Germany did get asset stripped and all their poo poo sold for peanuts, a lot of their welfare state and worker protections dismantled, etc. Were the neo Nazis as prevalent 30 years ago as they are today?

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/bowenyang/status/1121552081012305920?s=19

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Does he look at his own tweeter handle and realize its not the same "bo"?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

https://twitter.com/shawnwzhang/status/1120566069775798272?s=19

hmm i wonder if a bunch of big media outlets are gonna report on this correction weeks after the fact. probably, since the press is notoriously fair and nuanced when it comes to china!

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

R. Guyovich posted:

https://twitter.com/shawnwzhang/status/1120566069775798272?s=19

hmm i wonder if a bunch of big media outlets are gonna report on this correction weeks after the fact. probably, since the press is notoriously fair and nuanced when it comes to china!

It's about as credible as the 10,000 chinese settlers in mozambique smear or any of the other lurid tales that the media runs breathlessly and then quietly retracts a few weeks later:

quote:

It was also not true that Mozambique had made the Chinese language compulsory at any level of schooling. The stories had other errors. For example, in 2006 Beijing had offered to allow duty-free entry for 400 products from Africa’s least developed countries (including Mozambique), but fewer than 10 percent of the products were agricultural. The list included knitted bow ties, ballpoint pens, and leather jackets. Rice, a highly protected crop in China, was decidedly not on the list.

Remember, the original think tank that ran with this is listed by the university of pennsylvania as "the number one think tank in the world for "Top Defense and National Security Think Tanks (Table 14)", the number two think think in the United States across all fields (table 7), and was also ranked as the 4th best think tank for "Think Tanks with the Most Innovative Policy Ideas/Proposals (Table 45).""

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is China the World's Loan Shark?

as it turns out, no

quote:

But a number of us academics who have studied China’s practices in detail have found scant evidence of a pattern indicating that Chinese banks, acting at the government’s behest, are deliberately over-lending or funding loss-making projects to secure strategic advantages for China.

China does not publish details about its overseas lending, but the China-Africa Research Initiative at Johns Hopkins University (which I direct) has collected information on more than 1,000 Chinese loans in Africa between 2000 and 2017, totaling more than $143 billion. Boston University’s Global Development Policy Center has identified and tracked more than $140 billion in Chinese loans to Latin America and the Caribbean since 2005.

Based on the findings of both institutes, it seems that the risks of B.R.I. are often overstated or mischaracterized.

Take Africa. The International Monetary Fund estimates that as of late January some 17 low-income African countries already were in, or were at risk of, “debt distress,” or of experiencing difficulties in servicing their public debt. We at the China Africa Research Initiative created debt profiles for those countries based on our data on Chinese loans as well as statistics from the World Bank and the I.M.F. — and we discovered that a crowd of global banks and bondholders were involved: notably, in Mozambique, Credit Suisse; or in Chad, the Anglo-Swiss mining giant Glencore. In some of the 17 countries the I.M.F. identified as vulnerable, including Cameroon and Ethiopia, China was the single-largest creditor, but non-Chinese lenders still held the majority of the debt.

In most of Africa and Latin America, in other words, China’s lending is significant, but fears that the Chinese government is deliberately preying on countries in need are unfounded.

When the sale of the [Hambantota] port was negotiated in 2016, Sri Lanka had an external debt of $46.5 billion; according to the I.M.F., only 10 percent of it was owed to China. As the economists Dushni Weerakoon and Sisira Jayasuriya have argued, “Sri Lanka’s debt problem isn’t made in China.”

But the idea that the Chinese government is doling out debt strategically, for its benefit, isn’t supported by the facts. Many of the would-be borrowers gathering in Beijing this weekend are likely to carefully scrutinize the costs and benefits of Chinese loans; some may be poor, but that doesn’t make them unaware or unsavvy. China’s B.R.I. isn’t debt-trap diplomacy: It’s just globalization with Chinese characteristics.

wtf i love the new york times now

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

gradenko_2000 posted:

as it turns out, no

This reminds me of how people were scaremongering about how China was somehow going to "collect" on the US debt it owns, as if a) it actually owned a significant amount of that debt or b) it was somehow going to cross the Pacific and go through the US Navy to... demand that we pay its bonds in full now despite having nuclear weapons??? :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

gradenko_2000 posted:

as it turns out, no

it's a letter to the editor that will get lost in the avalanche of debt trap stories with front-page promotion