Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This.

It's so good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Rodan's gonna get merk'd within like 10 minutes of showing up, isn't he? :ohdear:

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Rodan's rage will take more than 10 minutes to put out.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There'll be plenty of new kaiju to take the falls earlier in the movie, Rodan is a main event dude (even if they're not a title contender)

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Predictions for the climax based on the trailers: Ghidorah lifts Godzilla up to a great height, drops him and injures him gravely, then Ken Watanabe revives him by powering him up with a nuke, and fiery Godzilla kicks the juice out of Ghidorah

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://twitter.com/Mike_Dougherty/status/1121236143607967744?s=19

Holy poo poo, Rodan got armor plating!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Stairmaster posted:

I would rather they just use the original song

Eric Bloom and Buck Dharma gettin' paid either way :shrug:

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

I think that's Rodan's design from Godzilla: Final Wars!

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There'll be plenty of new kaiju to take the falls earlier in the movie, Rodan is a main event dude (even if they're not a title contender)

Rodan's a jobber to the stars, unfortunately. Maybe he can hold the IC title sometime.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Tekne posted:

The big boi has gotten bigger.

He's now taller than Shin Gojira by 4 feet, lol

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Is anybody else getting some sweet Akira vibes off that Blue Oyster Cult covet? That aggressive as hell chorus really makes me think of a couple tracks off that, the greatest film score ever.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tekne posted:

The big boi has gotten bigger.

99 tonnes or 9,9000 tones?

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Arcsquad12 posted:

The metric system uses periods instead of commas, so 99,634 tons! He's a big boy.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
He is RIDICULOUSLY heavy.

Like Japan wasn't wrong in one respect when they said he was fatter than their Godzillas- Godzilla tends to be either 20,000 to 40,000 tons. Legendary is nearly six times that

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Makes sense if you figure he has a lotta radioactive stuff inside him, he's literally a walking pile of undepleted uranium.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

im pretty sure if he was 99 tons hed be floating, or at least very buoyant

not that like, i expect movies to care about realistic weights or densities or anything, just itd be funny to have godzilla floating thru the air like a balloon

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Titans must be made of ridiculously heavy or durable material, hell, it's probably both. The way they go through buildings and shrug off heavy ordinance suggests it.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Do you all really think the Monsterverse is going to end next year, with Kong vs Godzilla? I heard the doc say that there were 17 other Titans around, and I'd like to think we'll see some more of those. I know we'll probably get a glimpse of a few others next month, but I find it hard to believe that they'll end this so quickly.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'd like to see some original kaiju again for the post-GvKG movie.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I'd love to see more original kaiju, too. The MUTO were pretty cool, and there's a huge well there to keep drawing from.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They've been pretty explicit that KvG is going to be the end, and Toho continuing their own movies afterwards seems to confirm it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Waffleman_ posted:

They've been pretty explicit that KvG is going to be the end, and Toho continuing their own movies afterwards seems to confirm it.

Read all the set visit articles that came out a few weeks ago. Legendary wants to continue after Godzilla vs. Kong, and is hoping to extend its deal with Toho beyond its 2021 expiration, and Toho has already invested a decent chunk of change in Legendary.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I want to see a Toho/legendary collaboration that results in a Man in a Suit Kaiju film with a 100 million dollar budget. With creature work aided by Jim Henson's Creature Shop and Guillermo del Toro.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Predictions for the climax based on the trailers: Ghidorah lifts Godzilla up to a great height, drops him and injures him gravely, then Ken Watanabe revives him by powering him up with a nuke, and fiery Godzilla kicks the juice out of Ghidorah
More likely,
Mothra sacrifices herself to save Godzilla at a critical moment, as the trailers show her taking a direct hit from Ghidorah's gravity beams. The trailers also show what I assume is her flaming corpse falling back down. Her remains probably lands on Godzilla and powers him up.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Panfilo posted:

More likely,
Mothra sacrifices herself to save Godzilla at a critical moment, as the trailers show her taking a direct hit from Ghidorah's gravity beams. The trailers also show what I assume is her flaming corpse falling back down. Her remains probably lands on Godzilla and powers him up.

Ah, the full Super Metroid :hmmyes:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Timby posted:

Read all the set visit articles that came out a few weeks ago. Legendary wants to continue after Godzilla vs. Kong, and is hoping to extend its deal with Toho beyond its 2021 expiration, and Toho has already invested a decent chunk of change in Legendary.

Legendary: Ok Toho, here's the pitch.

*James Cameron wheels in a whiteboard and writes the word "Godzilla" on it. A moment later, he adds an S and draws a line going down the middle."

Toho: :thatsrad:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
baby Godzilla is one of the cutest kaijus, bring him back and make him the star of a movie

look at 'em, i want to hug him

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

mandatory lesbian posted:

baby Godzilla is one of the cutest kaijus, bring him back and make him the star of a movie

look at 'em, i want to hug him

The subplot will be a child finds him and helps him stay hidden by keeping him in his family's old blimp hangar out back.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Arguably, the 1998 Godzilla was a blessing in disguise for 21 years in that it caused Toho to carefully control its property, putting quality control and stipulations into any new Hollywood contract.

Now we have a 200 million dollar Godzilla fan service film. Finally.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Arguably, the 1998 Godzilla was a blessing in disguise for 21 years in that it caused Toho to carefully control its property, putting quality control and stipulations into any new Hollywood contract.

I still remember Emmerich/Devlin complaining that Toho was too strict because Toho said that Godzilla had to have 3 rows of spines.

gently caress you, ID4 guys.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

I still remember Emmerich/Devlin complaining that Toho was too strict because Toho said that Godzilla had to have 3 rows of spines.

gently caress you, ID4 guys.

Basically Toho is the only reason we got ANYTHING good from that loving movie monster wise

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Leavemywife posted:

I'd love to see more original kaiju, too. The MUTO were pretty cool, and there's a huge well there to keep drawing from.

We also know of a bunch with their Monarch code-names - apparently Mothra also gets one of these before she's properly introduced as Mothra, so some of these may be familiar faces as cameos:

Phoenix (this is Mothra)
Leviathan
Sargon
Abbadon
Baphomet
Methuselah
Bunyip
Kronus
Behemoth
Typhoon
Cipactli

Panfilo posted:

More likely,

I assumed this was Ghidorah's original fall to Earth. Or possibly Rodan, given that the trailers suggest that Mothra beats the poo poo out of him.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Cythereal posted:

We also know of a bunch with their Monarch code-names - apparently Mothra also gets one of these before she's properly introduced as Mothra, so some of these may be familiar faces as cameos:

Phoenix (this is Mothra)
Leviathan
Sargon
Abbadon
Baphomet
Methuselah
Bunyip
Kronus
Behemoth
Typhoon
Cipactli

I assumed this was Ghidorah's original fall to Earth. Or possibly Rodan, given that the trailers suggest that Mothra beats the poo poo out of him.

The only two of those I could even begin to hazard a guess for would be Leviathan and Behemoth. I'd guess they're Manda and Anguirus.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

This one better be cool as hell.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

LesterGroans posted:

This one better be cool as hell.
Rumor has it that's the crab/spider bursting through the oil pumps.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is the Japanese chorus in the Blue Oyster Cult cover singing Sore Sore Sore Sore? Translated doesn't that mean they're just singing 'yeah oh yeah oh yeah oh yeah GOJIRA"

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013

Leavemywife posted:

The only two of those I could even begin to hazard a guess for would be Leviathan and Behemoth. I'd guess they're Manda and Anguirus.

That would be really cool, but Mike Dougherty has tweeted connecting Godzilla to Leviathan. From Leviathan's description in the book of Job:

https://twitter.com/Mike_Dougherty/status/1067832518592753664

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is the Japanese chorus in the Blue Oyster Cult cover singing Sore Sore Sore Sore? Translated doesn't that mean they're just singing 'yeah oh yeah oh yeah oh yeah GOJIRA"

In fact, does anyone speak/read Japanese? I found some plausible looking lyrics on genius.com and there's a bunch of Japanese characters.

https://genius.com/Bear-mccreary-godzilla-lyrics

Can't stop listening to this. Like someone earlier said, the drums and chanting make the whole track.

Edit - oh wait that's what you're referring to. Still curious though

Edit edit - Google translate says the text is

'I will report extraordinary news
I will report extraordinary news
Godzilla is heading for Ginza
Please evacuate as soon as possible
Please evacuate as soon as possible'

Badass

Edit edit edit it seems that bit isn't actually in the track though

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 27, 2019

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Panfilo posted:

More likely,

The flaming corpse looks more like Rodan, who I assume will be killed by either Ghidorah or Mothra in the third act

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I figured Rodan would be doing his own thing but Ghidorah asserts his dominance and beats Rodan into servitude during the fight in Rio. Then Mothra runs cover for Godzilla during the DC fight by keeping Rodan occupied while Big G and King G throw down.