Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

I don't know where you live, but here in the US, the store doesn't update for another hour and 20 minutes.

That's what I figured I just wanted to complain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

You should complain though. It's a Nintendo game, which usually release the night before at midnight est. I have no clue why they're holding this one, it even let you pre-order it, I thought.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Boxboy has been up in Europe all day.

Unlike the previous game it doesn't seem to have an amiibo option?

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

bushisms.txt posted:

Huh? Which fire emblem? You mean warriors? It actually moved up from October to September. Or 3h which was only spring 2019 and is coming in July?
Ah I was wrong on the year. Fire Emblem Switch, or 3h as it became was announced in the Jan 2017 direct planned for a 2018 release. Yoshi was also announced in 2017 for a 2018 release.

I can't remember what this was about anymore, but I think the point is that it's not outside the realms of possibility for even roughly dated things to get delayed.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thanks I will get these :)

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

Light and Dark themes take less than a kilobyte to implement, just adjusting some hex values. Music and image files are way more ram-heavy and therefore would impinge on SwitchOS's extreme speed.

Yeah but we don't even have the color scheme options past light/dark. Where's my Mario Red or my Luigi Green or my Peach Pink themes?

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Steamworld Quest is fun! Better than the trailer! I'm just at the start, but I feel like "buy it if you like both RPGs and other Steamworld games" is good advice. Probably "buy it if you like RPGs and think it looks fun" as well.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Crawfish posted:

Ah I was wrong on the year. Fire Emblem Switch, or 3h as it became was announced in the Jan 2017 direct planned for a 2018 release. Yoshi was also announced in 2017 for a 2018 release.

I can't remember what this was about anymore, but I think the point is that it's not outside the realms of possibility for even roughly dated things to get delayed.
3h never had a 2018 date as far as i can remember, can you link that? Yoshi was delayed, you're right.

And this was about you trying to correct my stating that Nintendo doesn't delay outside the year they officially announced for a game any more.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

onefish posted:

Steamworld Quest is fun! Better than the trailer! I'm just at the start, but I feel like "buy it if you like both RPGs and other Steamworld games" is good advice. Probably "buy it if you like RPGs and think it looks fun" as well.

I'm having fun with with but something about the animation puts me off. I think the art style and all of the hand drawn art itself is great, but the way it's animated is so, uh, janky and reminds me of some 2003 era New Grounds flash stuff

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

omg chael crash posted:

I'm having fun with with but something about the animation puts me off. I think the art style and all of the hand drawn art itself is great, but the way it's animated is so, uh, janky and reminds me of some 2003 era New Grounds flash stuff

It's probably a money/time thing as well as an aesthetic choice; you can crank out highly detailed art assets and animate them very quickly using the "paper doll" style of movement.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Also they are all janky robots if they're like the ones in steamworld heist

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
The character designs are probably the worst aspect of the Steamworld games. Not that they are bad, they're decent. But they're pretty unlively and not memorable, and undersell how fantastic those games are.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 26, 2019

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Thanks I will get these :)

Both excited for you and jealous that you get to play them for the first time.

Would it be out of line to say that HAL should only focus on Picross 3D from now on and give up everything else?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Aren’t the characters supposed to be cobbled together and janky? I imagine their movement is an aesthetic choice

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Aren’t the characters supposed to be cobbled together and janky? I imagine their movement is an aesthetic choice

yeah in the other games they are basically robots made of random junk parts, right? It looked a little weird to me at first too but I got used to it quickly and really like the look now.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
2D skeletal animation is one of my least favorite things and is part of the reason why I've never played any of those games :negative:

probably gonna eventually get this one though, it seems like my kinda jam

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Nah it's just a "lazy" animation style. A lot of games have been using it lately and it definitely gives off 2000s flash game vibes.

Rayman Legends is an example of using high quality 2D assets but actually animating them instead of just warping them so they wobble and rotate.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like the sprites in SWD1 the best

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
How would Box Boy and Boy Girl be for playing with my almost 5 year old daughter in Co-Op?

Our Switch gaming history includes....
Snipper Clips - Good at helping if I tell her how to do it, but can get frustrated
1-2 Switch - Loves it
Super Mario Party - Loves it
Yoshi Crafted World - Our jam right now, but final stages are getting tough.
Smash Bros Ultiamte - Will play as only girl characters (loves Rosalina), likes just mashing buttons with CPU handicap set to 300. Will play on teams with me so we both win.
New Super Mario Bros U. Deluxe - Good at the easy levels, depends on the bubble too much in later levels
Mario Kart 8 - Can only really play with the auto driving/steering on. Good at firing weapons and has fun in team battle where we both win.
DKC:TF - A bit too hard past the first world, but she liked it when me as DK gives her Dixie character a "shoulder ride" just like I do with her, and shoots that gun at enemies
Mario Tennis - Doesn't quite understand what she is doing, but enjoys playing doubles with me even if I do all the work.
Arms - Bored after about a match, rightfully so...

Anything where she can play as a girl character is a huge plus so Box Boy & Box Girl seems like a good fit. But not sure how hard it gets if she struggles with Snipper Clips.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The funny thing is that Rayman actually does a ton of paper doll animation and warp tweening, but with hand drawn animation on the important frames so that you don't notice it.

In the Dig games the camera is zoomed out enough that it isn't that big a deal. I didn't actually notice it during gameplay, only in the dialogue portraits. If it really bugs you, then that will be a problem in Heist and Quest, where the characters take up a lot more of the screen

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Is there any sort of goon guild/clan/whatever (and thread) for the $2 Zombie Survival game that I can't remember the name of, that's on the Switch? I'm probably going to check it out (Dawn of something?) and would love to be a part of any goon presence there.

EDIT: Dawn of Survivors, there we go.

Also, what Bushism.txt said:

bushisms.txt posted:

It's crazy how there's no internet chatter for Dawn of survivors, I can't even find a wiki. There a dedicated co-op skill tree but I have no clue how to access it. Besides the disconnection issues, which were really only an annoyance, the game is a gem for bite sized runs.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 26, 2019

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I had enough gold coins to get DoS for free, so I tried it a bit and it seems janky as gently caress but kind of fun. It's a $2 game after all so some jank is to be expected.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

gey muckle mowser posted:

yeah in the other games they are basically robots made of random junk parts, right? It looked a little weird to me at first too but I got used to it quickly and really like the look now.

I'm not 100% on this but I think they made a point in heist that you cant just slap pieces together on a robot, it makes them go crazy.

Seabrass also mentions giving his leg (arm?) to make his son, I think the take home message is that you need to carefully craft a robot. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

American McGay posted:

Nah it's just a "lazy" animation style. A lot of games have been using it lately and it definitely gives off 2000s flash game vibes.

Rayman Legends is an example of using high quality 2D assets but actually animating them instead of just warping them so they wobble and rotate.

nobody is lazy

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Astro7x posted:

How would Box Boy and Boy Girl be for playing with my almost 5 year old daughter in Co-Op?

Our Switch gaming history includes....
Snipper Clips - Good at helping if I tell her how to do it, but can get frustrated
1-2 Switch - Loves it
Super Mario Party - Loves it
Yoshi Crafted World - Our jam right now, but final stages are getting tough.
Smash Bros Ultiamte - Will play as only girl characters (loves Rosalina), likes just mashing buttons with CPU handicap set to 300. Will play on teams with me so we both win.
New Super Mario Bros U. Deluxe - Good at the easy levels, depends on the bubble too much in later levels
Mario Kart 8 - Can only really play with the auto driving/steering on. Good at firing weapons and has fun in team battle where we both win.
DKC:TF - A bit too hard past the first world, but she liked it when me as DK gives her Dixie character a "shoulder ride" just like I do with her, and shoots that gun at enemies
Mario Tennis - Doesn't quite understand what she is doing, but enjoys playing doubles with me even if I do all the work.
Arms - Bored after about a match, rightfully so...

Anything where she can play as a girl character is a huge plus so Box Boy & Box Girl seems like a good fit. But not sure how hard it gets if she struggles with Snipper Clips.

There's a demo, try it. It will be hard, but that's what you're there for. It's not mechanically difficult, just really makes you think, and the difficulty is in clearing the advanced goals.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 26, 2019

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

where’s Metroid Prime Trilogy Switch

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is there any sort of goon guild/clan/whatever (and thread) for the $2 Zombie Survival game that I can't remember the name of, that's on the Switch? I'm probably going to check it out (Dawn of something?) and would love to be a part of any goon presence there.

EDIT: Dawn of Survivors, there we go.

Also, what Bushism.txt said:

There's not really a clan structure, and from what I've seen, it's not getting a lot of attention. But the game has players and is really fun. If you want to work together, we can just coordinate raid locations. You can't really do much else until you tech up to a watch tower, which I'm currently working towards.

Search my posts, I've done a few more write ups since that post. Let me know if you need any more help with it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DoctorWhat posted:

nobody is lazy

I am

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Reminder that Picross 2 3D is 40% off with 400 platinum coins

https://my.nintendo.com/rewards/8668399b0fa2cb88?imp=ZvRabJSPIG8Q6sBzEeKv7DqEzTp1sOsvUAB1kzXt%3Areward_list%3A1%3A2

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

American McGay posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the Steamworld people probably don't have infinite money like Ubi. 2D sprite animation is expensive.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

DoctorWhat posted:

nobody is lazy

I am

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the Steamworld people probably don't have infinite money like Ubi. 2D sprite animation is expensive.

There's a huge misconception that 2d is inherently easy compared to 3d, when the advanced engines means exactly the opposite. Model rigging is insanely easy compared to basic dev pixel art.

Buy shakedown hawaii is what I'm saying

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

bushisms.txt posted:

There's a huge misconception that 2d is inherently easy compared to 3d, when the advanced engines means exactly the opposite. Model rigging is insanely easy compared to basic dev pixel art.

Buy shakedown hawaii is what I'm saying

This is true but you can still dislike it compared to their peers

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Where did I say you have to like it? Just implying it's a bit disrespectful to call it Iazy.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Augus posted:

where’s Metroid Prime Trilogy Switch

The Metroid Prime games are just okay. Too linear, a lot of "puzzles" that just involve interacting with the only interactive elements in the room, and a lot of underdeveloped zones that you have to backtrack through endlessly. They should give Metroid the BotW treatment. Not make it an open world but make it huge and give it real secrets and shortcuts and challenging puzzles and make it okay if you get stumped and have to note it on your map for later. Front load the required upgrades and make other upgrades truly optional.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

bushisms.txt posted:

Where did I say you have to like it? Just implying it's a bit disrespectful to call it Iazy.

Yeah, fair

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I don't think it's "laziness" but the paper-doll style is just cheaper looking and it's obviously not an aesthetic choice here in Quest

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

But the game rules otherwise. The cards are great, the battles are fun, and the Steamworld charm really sells it all

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Will this work on the Switch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I put lazy in quotes cause it's not actually lazy but that's the best way to describe it. It certainly wasn't an aesthetic decision, it was chosen because it's easier/cheaper.

I think it looks bad but I'm certainly not going to get upset about a smaller studio doing it.