Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

oh jay posted:

They were in normal gravity for the 5ish seconds on the way down.

5 seconds is a pretty tiny window to react to "oh gravity was off and now it's back on again let me figure out how to use my power to save myself and also orient myself so i can do tha---"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kanos posted:

5 seconds is a pretty tiny window to react to "oh gravity was off and now it's back on again let me figure out how to use my power to save myself and also orient myself so i can do tha---"

Order of the Stick spoilers: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0443.html

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Kanos posted:

Ideally, you would be thinking about your next move on the way up. And their "battle sense" and reaction time seemed pretty on point in the actual fight when they were moving as a unit, pouncing into and out of buildings fluidly, razzling Toga without unintentional friendly fire.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
They rehearsed their attack here; them drawing the VA into a trap was their plan, with things like the restaurant bombs set in advance, them knowing all the VA's powers and going for particular people, etc. Toga pulling a new quirk out of nowhere caught them off guard, and it turns out they're not great at improvising, because they're not heroes (with a few exceptions) or warriors or whatever, they're libertarians who are full of themselves.

Gigantomachia is going to wreck them when he gets there.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The woman toga splatted ran away or did people miss that?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I think the best thing about this chapter is they never explain at all where Toga's ninja skills come from in her flashback. :v: You're just gonna have to roll with it.

Rhonne posted:

She was too busy thinking about her next article to stop the fall.

There's probably a bit of arrogance mixed in there of Curious thinking Toga can't possibly figure out how to properly use Ochako's Quirk.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Well she couldn't drink blood so she had to do something in her spare time

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I wonder how Toga's quirk works with healing. Considering she has to reform her whole physiology when she uses her powers, you gotta figure she can put herself back together a little more quickly than usual, right? Or maybe she can shape-shift into an uninjured form but the second she reverts back, she's still hurt

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jose posted:

The woman toga splatted ran away or did people miss that?

Toga ran off into an alleyway. The last frame that Curious was in was the one where she hits the concrete, judging by the dress sticking out from the eruption of blood from the splat.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I don't think we're done seeing Toga's past, so I imagine we'll find out the rest at some point.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'm not sure if I'm ready for the drank the blood of an entire shaolin monastery part of her past.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Do you think that if Toga didn't cancel the Quirk, that all those people would still be floating? Even when she stopped using her shapeshifting?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Do quirks stop if their user is taken out/its only a temporary power?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

oh jay posted:

Ideally, you would be thinking about your next move on the way up. And their "battle sense" and reaction time seemed pretty on point in the actual fight when they were moving as a unit, pouncing into and out of buildings fluidly, razzling Toga without unintentional friendly fire.

I at least noticed several people able to manipulate objects through whatever form of telekinesis exists for quirks. Maybe it only works on certain objects, maybe it's like Deku's mom where the quirk isn't good for heavy lifting, but they are mixed in there with Curious' crowd. Specifically a guy who had a lot of rope, and even through the portion that got cut by Toga running by has a lot left on him. So I'm also a bit curious why nobody actually made any attempt to save themselves or more specifically Curious herself even if it was panicked and futile? Kind of holding out for there being some "reset button" quirk on the liberation front's side so Curious can come back.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Brought To You By posted:

I at least noticed several people able to manipulate objects through whatever form of telekinesis exists for quirks. Maybe it only works on certain objects, maybe it's like Deku's mom where the quirk isn't good for heavy lifting, but they are mixed in there with Curious' crowd. Specifically a guy who had a lot of rope, and even through the portion that got cut by Toga running by has a lot left on him. So I'm also a bit curious why nobody actually made any attempt to save themselves or more specifically Curious herself even if it was panicked and futile? Kind of holding out for there being some "reset button" quirk on the liberation front's side so Curious can come back.

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.

The SLA just arn't taking this fight seriously. They're challenging half a dozen teenagers who they think got lucky and gained some notoriety because they thought it would be an easy way to build a rep. When everything was going their way, they were acting as a team and using their powers intelligently. But when some kid who was supposed to have no real powers flung them several stories into the sky, whups, turns out they weren't so quick thinking after all. Elite prep school hero course kids these are not!

I'm sure a few of them made attempts to save themselves, but c'mon, they didn't have names. How many panels of desperately reaching out and lines of dialogue like, "I just have to use my quirk, "Chain of Memories," to reach out and grab that flag pole! But it's so far away!" do you think the work needs? I think member #35,465 of the liberation army doesn't rate taking page space away from Toga's big moment.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I’m not going to sit here and pretend I could do it better, but I did think people falling and just exploding into blood was a little anticlimactic.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Realistically there's probably people that lived but I doubt they're gonna be walking it off.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

They fell that high up with explosive to touch blood they aint walking poo poo off

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Fabricated posted:

Realistically there's probably people that lived but I doubt they're gonna be walking it off.

Turns out Curious is still alive, just in a massive amount of pain and in need of a new face.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Mraagvpeine posted:

Do you think that if Toga didn't cancel the Quirk, that all those people would still be floating? Even when she stopped using her shapeshifting?

It's also interesting that she made all of those people float but seemed like it didn't make her nauseous the way it did for Ochako. Not sure if it's because Toga's too hosed up to care at that point, or if it hints that Ochako could potentially use her Quirk without throwing up when she gets better at it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
She's constantly training herself to be able to float herself and more things without any drawback so that's not a new thing.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
e: how the heck did that double post

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.

The SLA just arn't taking this fight seriously. They're challenging half a dozen teenagers who they think got lucky and gained some notoriety because they thought it would be an easy way to build a rep. When everything was going their way, they were acting as a team and using their powers intelligently. But when some kid who was supposed to have no real powers flung them several stories into the sky, whups, turns out they weren't so quick thinking after all. Elite prep school hero course kids these are not!
I'd be inclined to believe you about them not being serious until you realize they are fully committed to using themselves as suicide bombers to take down one of those "lucky" kids. At no point do I think they are not taking the kids serious, although it's obvious they are still making light of the League.

quote:

I'm sure a few of them made attempts to save themselves, but c'mon, they didn't have names. How many panels of desperately reaching out and lines of dialogue like, "I just have to use my quirk, "Chain of Memories," to reach out and grab that flag pole! But it's so far away!" do you think the work needs? I think member #35,465 of the liberation army doesn't rate taking page space away from Toga's big moment.
First of all, you don't need to add panels to show something as simple as people fumbling in space. That big spread where Toga has everyone suspended above her? Just put that there, show some of the members actually trying to use their quirks. Those panels of Curious in closeup? Have that rope guy I mentioned having extended one into the panel, but Curious is simply apathetic to it as she's fixated on Toga. Without adding any panels you've managed to show these guys still being competent despite the sudden development nobody saw coming, reinforced how out of it Curious is, and not taken away from Toga's moment. Simple and clean.

Because my problem is this. The liberation Force has been planning something for "generations" according to Re-Destro. I'm not expecting the executives to be amazing fighters, they have focused their efforts into industry and politics, whatever combat quirks they have if any aren't going to be as trained as someone who has put their lives on the line day after day. And I'm not expecting the townspeople to suddenly be masterclass fighters either, that's what the heroes who are within the organization should be for. But that doesn't take away from the fact that these people, a lot of them older people probably ranging from 20-40 and we even see some Geriatrics in the mix; have been training and awaiting for the day they can take back their rights. You're telling me that at no point did anyone decide to use their quirk to protect themselves from a sudden stimulus, from a group who is supposed to be about free usage of quirks?

There's a scene I really like from the behind the scene's footage of 'Who am I?' it's Jackie Chan working with a french martial artist on one of the scenes. The scene in question is one where Jackie and this guy go toe-to-toe and Jackie has choreographed the sequence so that in his own words "Everybody looks good". I like when he said that because it's what I like about his movies. Even when losing people can still look good. The Liberation Force challenged the league to a battle, invited them into their home turf, and have broken out the welcome wagon and some of their executives have personally come out to the battlefield despite arguably not being suited for combat themselves. We already know the walking nuke of Gigantomancia will be on his way, I don't expect anyone is going to be able to really stop him and he'll do the most damage to the Liberation group. But since Hori is already probably committed to removing this threat in the same arc they showed up in, the least he could do is not undercut their menace by having their members look this bad.

How am I supposed to take these guys serious as a national threat when they are about to lose a good chunk of their members to 6 teens and my boy Twice?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I don't think you're supposed to take them seriously as a national threat, or they'd be fighting the main characters. You're supposed to take them seriously as a threat to the League.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
A group of a combined 100,000 members who are from all walks of life including law enforcement, backed by two captains of the tech industry, a politician, and a media director. All of whom have been planning to reenact the terrorist manifesto they subscribe to which previously plagued the country to a still unknown scale doesn't sound like a small thing to me.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Just imagine someone did try and focus on the grisly spread of everyone getting splatted on the ground by Toga

Because that was a great moment

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Can't wait to see it animated in a few years.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Yoga didn't exactly get that W effortlessly. She came out of it looking like hamburger. And this was a group of people essentially trying to toy with her a bit in hopes of getting her to at least obliquely answer a few questions.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Toga being able to use the Quirk of people whose blood she drinks was shown in One's Justice long before this chapter came out, so it's nice to see that wasn't just a game mechanic to make her somewhat viable as a character.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
*SPLAT*SPLAT*SPLAT*SPLAT*SPLAT*SPLAT*SPLAT*SPLAT*SPLAT*SPLAT*

Holy poo poo what a chapter. The art is also really on point recently.

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

A group of a combined 100,000 members who are from all walks of life including law enforcement, backed by two captains of the tech industry, a politician, and a media director. All of whom have been planning to reenact the terrorist manifesto they subscribe to which previously plagued the country to a still unknown scale doesn't sound like a small thing to me.

Someone earlier in the thread pointed out that that 100,000 number was probably just Redestro being optimistic/an idiot. That number lines up with the number of copies the manifesto has sold, and seeing as how his assistant who thought the book was rubbish has read it, we can assume not every reader is a follower. So while the organization has a lot of political and financial power, we don't really have a concrete grasp on their true numbers.

It might be because I don't analyze things too closely, but I also didn't have any problems with the conclusion of this fight. I kind of wish it had gone longer, but long fights have never been Horikoshi's strength. But all I wanted from this fight was a cool win for Toga, and splatting a bunch of people is a very cool way for a villain to win in my book.

CaptianKatsura fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 26, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

How am I supposed to take these guys serious as a national threat when they are about to lose a good chunk of their members to 6 teens and my boy Twice?

Well Actually it's 6 young adults and Toga. As Toga is the only member that is actually a teen, the rest are 20 somethings.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rhonne posted:

Can't wait to see it animated in a few years.

I only just caught up with this series but out of curiosity, why is the anime divided into individual seasons as opposed to just being one big continuous series?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Larryb posted:

I only just caught up with this series but out of curiosity, why is the anime divided into individual seasons as opposed to just being one big continuous series?

That’s mostly standard now. The real question is why everyone accepted filler instead of seasons for so long.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Larryb posted:

If you watched One Piece you wouldn't ask this question

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Zomborgon posted:

I really like the art for this panel in particular

A love that crushes like a mace :black101:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Larryb posted:

Ongoing anime is kinda on the way out since it's murder to produce and generally ends up looking like poo poo and gets stuffed with filler as the anime overshoots the available canon material.

Well-scheduled seasonal anime tend to end up looking better and being more faithful/better adaptations of the source material.

lovely things can still happen like bad scheduling/staffing (see: One Punch Man S2) or a series not managing to get it's time slot back (this can lead to loss in viewership or content being toned down if it's a harder edged series going into specific time slots) but overall it has been better for the industry I think

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm glad the old style of adaption is dying out because it's way worse

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah, makes sense then. I just watched the first three seasons and then started the manga from there so I'm not sure how good an adaption it is but the MHA anime seems fairly decent in most respects as far as I'm concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

CaptianKatsura posted:

Someone earlier in the thread pointed out that that 100,000 number was probably just Redestro being optimistic/an idiot. That number lines up with the number of copies the manifesto has sold, and seeing as how his assistant who thought the book was rubbish has read it, we can assume not every reader is a follower. So while the organization has a lot of political and financial power, we don't really have a concrete grasp on their true numbers.
Which is a fair point and if this were a couple chapters ago I'd be less optimistic on those numbers. Do you know which chapter has the number of copies from the manifesto?

He's seemingly been true to his words that 90% of Denka cities population is down for the cause, these citizens are more than willing to die for him. On top of that the usage of a satellite isn't something that I would believe even in this story could be done by a single person, plus there is the information network that was able to pick up the Broker when even the police have failed to do such a thing. Lastly, having a hero whose patrol area is a town over did show that they are at least more than 1 cities worth of zealots, unless Captain Booger is from that town as well. Was the other hero shown on the rooftop, or the one helping direct traffic also people from out of town?

There is a support network and infrastructure in place that much is certain, now it's a question of how inflated Destro's number was.

quote:

It might be because I don't analyze things too closely, but I also didn't have any problems with the conclusion of this fight. I kind of wish it had gone longer, but long fights have never been Horikoshi's strength. But all I wanted from this fight was a cool win for Toga, and splatting a bunch of people is a very cool way for a villain to win in my book.
There's nothing wrong with the fight and it's some of the best art Hori has put out. I have a problem with how the Liberation front is going to go out the same arc they are introduced, and I just don't want to see people floundering and not "sticking the landing" so to speak even in defeat because these people have been training for arguably longer than the members of the league have been alive. But at the very least longer than these guys have been active. They didn't expect Toga to have the ability of anyone she copied, however they didn't show any of that same training and coordination however futile it would be when plummeting to their deaths. And trust me, the people surrounding Curious didn't seem to have anything that would really stop them from dying at that height.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 26, 2019