Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Is there any way to boost Catholic MA without actually being a Catholic? I want to mend the Schism in my Shattered Byzantium game, but Catholicism is a heresy and you can't mend the Schism unless both Catholicism and Orthodoxy are dominant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

There's literally a button to auto-generate a baron level vassal on a holding that's a single click and if you just give out country -> Duchy you don't have to give more than baron -> Count -> Duke

lol if you read the thread that button was the one he was trying to avoid clicking 100+ times

Jedit posted:

Is there any way to boost Catholic MA without actually being a Catholic? I want to mend the Schism in my Shattered Byzantium game, but Catholicism is a heresy and you can't mend the Schism unless both Catholicism and Orthodoxy are dominant.

you ally with catholic lords and make sure they win their holy wars. the easiest way to do this is to extort tribute and become their suzerain, they will call you into whatever holy wars they get into (either as defender or attacker) and you can basically come along and make sure they win.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Whats even worst is when you win a not-holy-war with some nation of another religion and then you have to manually revoke every single title at every level to redistribute them

My last game I gave up because of that. It was an already won game, for sure, but I wanted to get to the time limit for the first time. But then I managed to invite some guy with a strong claim to the huge Kingdom of Germany (part of the Empire of Francia). I landed him, pressed it, easily won the war, winning like 60% of all europe in 1 war. Then I had to manually revoke all those titles from catholics to give to zoroastrians and I just.. could not force me to do it. Too much clicking. Also I could not bear having that huge catholic vassal in my empire, so I gave up the game

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 25, 2019

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

The entire Arabian peninsula -- so the de jure kingdoms of Jerusalem, Syria, Arabia, Yemen, Iraq, al-Jazira, and then the duchy of Sinai. Egypt is optional, but if you control it when you form the empire it becomes de jure Outremer, and it's probably the richest kingdom in the entire game so you definitely want it.

You have to control the *entire* peninsula, so once you've met the de jure requirements it's time to go snipe hunting for random baronies. Expelling whatever Catholic holy order you don't have vassalized takes care of most of them, but there'll probably be the stray castle controlled by the Hashashin or some European kingdom that inherited it from one of your vassals. If you're not on Ironman just console yourself the baronies you need because gently caress that noise.
After that, congrats, you've basically beaten the game. Have fun using your new +20% damage to religious enemies bloodline to dunk on the Mongols or Timurids when they show up.

Thanks, this is super useful! I already have most of the peninsula so that's good.

De Jure Egypt has kind of swapped places with Anatolia in my game, I think I'm going to leave that one.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

pidan posted:

I have no idea how the AI decides who gets to be Byzantine emperor. While the old emperor is alive it's generally his firstborn shown as the heir, but then five years later the title goes to some rando I've never seen before.

All the other king level titles around me have shattered into a million little duchies.

And I still don't know what territory I need for the empire of the Outremer.

I know when you're part of the electorate, you can see how people are voting and why, I'm not sure if you can see it when you're not part of the electorate and I can't check at the moment. Might be worth taking a peak at.

Edit: also keep your eye out for sainted bloodlines. One of my rulers got sainted and his bonus was +30 damage against religious enemies, and there was another saintly bloodline with the same damage bonus, so I married that bloodline into mine. Then I managed to get the holy warrior modifier from the martial events and ended up doing a whopping 90% damage against religious enemies.

To test out the damage from it, I had a 2k~ retinue stack of only English heavy foot soldiers and I was tearing through 6-7k Umayyad stacks like they were nothing. I'm talking 1 day noticable morale damage in combat. So maybe get that outremer blood then get some saintly blood and tear through the heathens at light speed.

Ultimate Shrek Fan fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 25, 2019

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Coolguye posted:

lol if you read the thread that button was the one he was trying to avoid clicking 100+ times
Clicking the button once for every Duchy/County truly is the same as every barony

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Clicking the button once for every Duchy/County truly is the same as every barony

giving the entire duchy to one guy was what he was trying to avoid in this entire exercise by worrying over individual baronies - again, please read the thread before rolling in with a bloated ego about the UI of a video game

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Coolguye posted:

giving the entire duchy to one guy was what he was trying to avoid in this entire exercise by worrying over individual baronies - again, please read the thread before rolling in with a bloated ego about the UI of a video game

ty forums moderator coolguye

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'll click a hundred buttons like it ain't even a thing. Landed my entire dynasty one time just for kicks, ran out of dynasts in my own kingdom and went hunting across the world for dynasty males to empower. Ran out of males and started landing the ladies. My councilors were aghast but the business of ruling is best done with a personal touch and my bloodline truly would be eternal.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jedit posted:

It actually doesn't matter how high the MA of Catholicism is. The religion with the most counties following it is considered non-heretical. So you can either ally with Catholic lords, or conquer Fraticelli/Waldensian/etc. provinces and convert them, which would drive the number of provinces of these branches of Western Christianism low enough that Catholicism becomes dominant again.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

reignofevil posted:

I'll click a hundred buttons like it ain't even a thing. Landed my entire dynasty one time just for kicks, ran out of dynasts in my own kingdom and went hunting across the world for dynasty males to empower. Ran out of males and started landing the ladies. My councilors were aghast but the business of ruling is best done with a personal touch and my bloodline truly would be eternal.

Appropriate username/post combo

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

reignofevil posted:

this isn't a just for kicks thing, this massively shoots up your dynasty prestige until your kids are being born with like 750+ prestige and everyone on the planet wants to bone your dynasts because of "prestige effects +++++++++++++++++".

i will happily land infants of my dynasty over randos precisely because of this.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

If a character gets sainted and they had a bloodline they get an extra as I have found.

I had a character get the DUEL PEOPLE bloodline and then he became a saint I hunted excommunicated people

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the only restriction on gaining bloodlines is that a character who has a forged bloodline cannot forge another one - so someone who has such and such the warrior poet or vile blood of so and so cannot forge a bloodline, but someone with 6 historical bloodlines and 4 saintly ones can still forge another.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

winterwerefox posted:

When i send a councilor to stir poo poo with vassals, do I want to place it in the capital of the highest title, like the king's capital, or in the dukes under him capitals?

Folk legend in the thread is that it's the latter, but it's very inconsistent and constantly the councilor will inspire counts, barons, and bishops to hate the duke rather than inspire the duke to hate the king.

It's a bunch of poo poo and I can't make jokes about it resembling some nonsensical arcane rituals to some dark uncaring master without it getting confused with game mechanics.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

ty forums moderator coolguye
RE this exchange

FYI this explicitly does NOT work for hordes - giving the duchy does jack poo poo, the baronies stay with you. Guess what the original question was about?

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

pidan posted:

I have no idea how the AI decides who gets to be Byzantine emperor. While the old emperor is alive it's generally his firstborn shown as the heir, but then five years later the title goes to some rando I've never seen before.

Eligible nominees:

1. Anyone with a strong claim (ie, children of a previous Emperor)
2. All commanders
3. The Marshall on the council

This is as long as they don't have any disfigurements (genetic ones like Harelip and Clubfoot along with Blinded or Castrated; I think having one hand/eye is fine but not 100% certain).

Voters hate:

1. Vices (and Craven/Ambitious traits)
2. Children (will almost never inherit without forcing favors due to massive penalties)
3. Women, especially if they are married to foreign rulers
4. Foreign rulers with claims
5. Foreign culture
6. Infidels/heretics

Voters love:

1. Virtues (and Brave/Strong/Brawny/Attractive)
2. Born in the purple trait
3. Competent commanders
4. Having high intrigue
5. Themselves, usually (if a voter is also an eligible nominee they will usually vote for themselves even if your candidate has a higher "score")
6. Their dynasts

So whenever I play as anyone but the Byzantine Emperor, I often see the throne switching between dynasties frequently, multiple claimant wars and such.

Speaking of which, I just lost the throne for the first time ever on succession because my 32 year old otherwise healthy emperor died of stress. He got the Stress trait from the Business focus he selected one year before gaining the throne, and in the seven years of his reign I was unable to lose the Stress trait. I hadn't bothered forcing favors because my son was 2 years from adulthood and I figured I had plenty of time to change hearts and minds. The one voter I managed to befriend through the Carousing focus died a few months before my emperor, too. I guess it's time to plot from the shadows.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

AtomikKrab posted:

I had a character get the DUEL PEOPLE bloodline

I misread this as DUEL POPE bloodline, which should be a thing.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

TaurusTorus posted:

I misread this as DUEL POPE bloodline, which should be a thing.

:same: on both statements

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Disillusionist posted:

This is as long as they don't have any disfigurements (genetic ones like Harelip and Clubfoot along with Blinded or Castrated; I think having one hand/eye is fine but not 100% certain).

there is a malus for one hand, one eye, one leg, and disfigured. it's not insurmountable.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

So starting again, I'm taking the route this time of pawning off my siblings to form as many alliances as possible, just to have backup distraction in the eventuality of last game's madness. Flip side of this being, all of those alliances want me to jump into *their* stupid little wars. Do they get irritable ala the Pope if you agree to help out, then just don't send any troops?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DeathChicken posted:

So starting again, I'm taking the route this time of pawning off my siblings to form as many alliances as possible, just to have backup distraction in the eventuality of last game's madness. Flip side of this being, all of those alliances want me to jump into *their* stupid little wars. Do they get irritable ala the Pope if you agree to help out, then just don't send any troops?

Not that I've ever seen. Just declare war and don't do anything.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Is there a way to attach my tiny levy to another guy's army? I feel like I wanna be helping but if I try to follow the big blob manually I end up fighting some stack that's bigger than mine by two orders of magnitude alone for two days and get mulched.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

There's a little icon that looks like a chain that gets your guys to follow another army.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

DeathChicken posted:

yeah this is fine. the only risk is that by being in the war, whoever is fighting may decide to walk over to your area and start burning stuff. but you can be a cheerleader without penalty if you like

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Hey ya'll, quick question for you guys.

I've got two laptops I play this on, having only been playing CK2 for about a week or so. And there's a marked difference in performance between the two...

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-15-6-Inch-Touchscreen-Laptop-80JM001NUS/dp/B00TR05R2U
When I play on this laptop, the game looks incredible, but very quickly my fans start racing and if I don't prop it up, the game eventually starts to visually artifact. I don't feel comfortable playing for extended periods because of this, and it makes me sad cause I have ton's of real estate for the game, and I know that being as old as it is, it should run better/cleaner.

edit: I just checked, and I actually have a step up from this model. I've got an i7-6500U, Nvidia GeForce 940M, and 8gb of ram.

But then...
https://www.amazon.com/VivoBook-Celeron-Processor-Storage-E203MA-YS03/dp/B07CTKRPGK
On this laptop, the game runs seemingly better than the other. But with only a Celeron and dedicated video card, its choppy at higher time speeds. Surprisingly though, the heat never gets to be a problem, and I've felt very confident in playing for very extended periods without breaking a sweat.

I've got updated drivers for the Lenovo, and I'm just really perplexed because it should run just totally fine, and instead, I'm losing textures before my first King dies.

Thoughts? Advice? Performance mods I should use?

Blimpkin fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 26, 2019

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the artifacting complaint makes it sound like a heat problem on your lenovo more than anything else. have you checked the cooling systems on it?

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Coolguye posted:

the artifacting complaint makes it sound like a heat problem on your lenovo more than anything else. have you checked the cooling systems on it?

The only other game that creates a similar effect is Cities:Skylines. And besides checking the fan vent area, I'm not sure how I can check the cooling systems on a Laptop. I hear the fan spool up and spin. It's near instant with CK2.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

CK2 hits your processor hard, fast, and often so it doesn't surprise me to hear that your fans spin up instantly. like one of the first things it does when it loads the game is painstakingly checksum all your game files to make sure you haven't changed poo poo, and that's one hell of a processor operation. i can watch the load go up on my desktop's i7 when CK2 comes on and it's neither subtle nor gentle.

as far as other stuff you can do, you can take some canned air and hit the fans and any other vents in the computer with it. beyond that, if the laptop is easyish to take apart, you can get a look at the motherboard and hit that with canned air as well. those are the main simple things you could do, anything more than that i'd probably prefer to refer you to SHSC because i don't want to tell you the wrong poo poo.

to answer your question a bit more directly, though, i'm unaware of any performance mods that would make the game less CPU intensive and i don't think they exist.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah, I won't rip the system apart just for my Medieval Reality TV Show game, but I'd like to play it more safely. Last night I cracked the window and had nice airflow for a moderately longer session so I'll just have to keep doing so. Or play on the cheap-o that seemingly runs better.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It's running very smoothly on my i3 that I paid like three hundo for, zero expansions though.

cargohills posted:

There's a little icon that looks like a chain that gets your guys to follow another army.

Great, thanks! Man there is a bizarre amount of things I can click in this game.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

aphid_licker posted:

It's running very smoothly on my i3 that I paid like three hundo for, zero expansions though.

Great, thanks! Man there is a bizarre amount of things I can click in this game.

That's what's so confusing about the performance I'm getting. I bought a laptop for 180$ that has a Celeron and the game runs better overall.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Yeah I can't even begin to guess what might be going on there vOv

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

e: Actually not a similar issue, but maybe worth trying a flat map mod.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I've poked around with CK2 a few times and have a feel for most of the mechanics. What I have a hard time with is the whole marriages thing, because I'm not sure how much of it I need to be doing so maybe more experienced players can chime in.

I often start with a decent size dynasty and marry off all the people there finding them suitable matches. Anyone of age, unmarried relatives in the dynasty, the works. Once there's a succession, it seems like one has to do that again with a new set of relatives and potential heirs. And if anything goes wrong (death, disease, getting shot at war) then a few years later, again. And that feels mostly manageable, but it also seems it's good to marry courtiers? Is there any benefit to that? That starts pushing it into a lot of marriage micro for me if I have to also manage all the councilors and courtiers.

What's sort of an easy way to figure out how much marrying needs to happen and which characters need spouses the most? Is there a 'streamlined' way that people do that stuff like knock it out anytime there's a succession and just leave it, or is it something you're meant to fiddle with constantly?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Just out of curiosity, I loaded up the task manager and checked the performance and holy crap this thing is a pig. I had the game paused, kicked it up to 5 and ran it. The peaks are when the game was running and the valleys are when messages popped up. I responded to some messages faster than others.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I've poked around with CK2 a few times and have a feel for most of the mechanics. What I have a hard time with is the whole marriages thing, because I'm not sure how much of it I need to be doing so maybe more experienced players can chime in.

I often start with a decent size dynasty and marry off all the people there finding them suitable matches. Anyone of age, unmarried relatives in the dynasty, the works. Once there's a succession, it seems like one has to do that again with a new set of relatives and potential heirs. And if anything goes wrong (death, disease, getting shot at war) then a few years later, again. And that feels mostly manageable, but it also seems it's good to marry courtiers? Is there any benefit to that? That starts pushing it into a lot of marriage micro for me if I have to also manage all the councilors and courtiers.

What's sort of an easy way to figure out how much marrying needs to happen and which characters need spouses the most? Is there a 'streamlined' way that people do that stuff like knock it out anytime there's a succession and just leave it, or is it something you're meant to fiddle with constantly?

Well, there are several issues at play here. First, there's no benefit to marry courtiers to anybody, except perhaps if they have desirable genetic traits (genius, strong, etc.) that you want to preserve. In that case, it might be a good idea to marry those courtiers to dynasty members. But it's usually not worth it.

Second, just marrying dynasty member so that they can continue the family is something you do in merchant republic games, but not in feudal games. Land those family members, and they will find wives/husbands for themselves, no need to micromanage them. Other unlanded family members can die without issue if you can't or don't want to land them. But do take care to land those with good genetic traits.

Your immediate family (children and siblings) are another matter. Marrying those off give you alliances or inheritable claims, and so should be managed with care. It might be a good idea not to land envious ambitious brother with a claim to your titles, better to let them die without fathering children. Marry your daughters off to powerful lords that you want to form an alliance or at least a non-aggression pact with. Marry you sons to women who might give them inheritable claims that you can later press, or women who are outright going to inherit so that their titles pass to your grandchildren. Obviously, the most desirable such bride should go to your heir.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Ham Sandwiches posted:

You marry people for a number of reasons:

- get alliances (marrying people from your dynasty to dynasties in holding titles you want to get allied with)
- get claims and titles (marrying yourself or your heirs to people that have or will inherit claims and titles)
- eugenics (marrying yourself or your heirs to people with good inheritable traits like genius or strong)

Marring regular courtiers (not from your dynasty) is usually meaningless

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

They fixed it a while back, but at one point ~70% of CK2's CPU load was every single Greek character in the game analyzing every single other character in the game, every single day, to see whose balls they could chop off. Each Greek would literally go from person to person and ask "Can I castrate you? Nope? Ok. Can I castrate you?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Torrannor posted:

Well, there are several issues at play here.

Elias_Maluco posted:

You marry people for a number of reasons:

Thanks folks, this is exactly what I was hoping for :tipshat: