Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Like 30 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

cinnamon rollout posted:

I'm pretty sure I have PTSD from having to deal with FedEx, Fi, and trying to get my phone.

I once watched a FedEx man walk up to my gate, put a sticker on it telling me to come get my package, and walk back to his truck - package in hand. He didn't go through the gate to the door like everyone else, or knock or ring the doorbell. I chased him down the street and he was pissed that I did that. I think they're on some horrible quota system of make x deliveries/attempts in day. That or they just hire assholes.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FogHelmut posted:

I once watched a FedEx man walk up to my gate, put a sticker on it telling me to come get my package, and walk back to his truck - package in hand. He didn't go through the gate to the door like everyone else, or knock or ring the doorbell. I chased him down the street and he was pissed that I did that. I think they're on some horrible quota system of make x deliveries/attempts in day. That or they just hire assholes.

Most of the time they just leave it at the door, elements be damned. In my old apartment, once they just left one package at the bottom of the stairs, because reasons

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

FogHelmut posted:

I had this happen once too, but rather than put the notice on my door, he put it on the apartment door three units down from me. Was then mad when I walked out and stopped him so I could get my poo poo.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Cromlech posted:

For people porting a number from a family plan on ATT to Fi, how was it? Painless? How long did the transfer take?

Painless and so quick that I didn't notice.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I forgot to do a trip report; my move from Pixel XL 1 to iPhone Xr on Google Fi was perfect. It took literally 5 minutes and everything works. I love this phone as well.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Cromlech posted:

For people porting a number from a family plan on ATT to Fi, how was it? Painless? How long did the transfer take?

I did it a few years ago and it was pretty much instant and very easy.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

FedEx is the worst. Pixel 3 is supposed to arrive today so I work from home since I have to sign for it. I get an email saying I wasn't here and they couldn't deliver this morning. There's no tag, no note or anything and no one rang my apartment. I've been here all morning. I didn't even see a truck come by my street.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
FedEx once left a $2500 iMac with my neighbor from across the hall who I had never interacted with in my entire life. Probably didn't want to have to carry it back down the stairs.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
FedEx started contracting out to local companies, and these days it's literally just 20-year olds driving their beaters walking into my business and dropping things without saying a word

Gig economy!

FedEx Express is still its own thing and doesn't seem problematic, but both FedEx Ground and UPS Ground just drop things without signatures and don't seem to care

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

At least USPS attempts to get your package to you where I live. I've never had a good FedEx experience.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Funny that you're all mentioning FedEx/Fi issues, because I just tried to order a data-only SIM a couple weeks ago and it got returned after one "attempt" with "Delivery exception: Address not found." Bullshit, I've gotten plenty of packages here! I'm going to try ordering it again but I'll use my work address instead. If they gently caress that up, I'm not sure what else to do.

gently caress FedEx. I used to hate UPS, but they improved a lot, and pretty much all of my recent shipping issues have been with FedEx. They can take their invisible arrow and ram it up their asses.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
On the Fedex phone delivery front, my Pixel 3 shipped Friday. It left Illinois Saturday and there have been no further tracking updates. I've had this happen before with Fedex and my poo poo will just show up randomly. Great stuff.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Since I'm a 2TB Google Drive customer, I got an email offering me a free Home Mini. So I ordered it and had it sent to my office.

Somehow they were "unable to deliver" to an office building in downtown Chicago, so it was sent back. Google's solution was to have me re-order at full price, then refund me once I receive it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Chaotic Flame posted:

At least USPS attempts to get your package to you where I live. I've never had a good FedEx experience.

USPS is trash if someone steals your address OR they claim they live at your address. I've been fighting them for months to tell them a person who filled out a change of address to my home does not and never has lived at my residence.

They're absolutely worthless.

FedEx, on the other hand, delivers early and UPS will leave you waiting far past closing time of their customer service number. Once they delivered at 10pm.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Quote is not edit.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Any of the chosen few with RCS functionality having delayed/"sending" forever messages in the past couple days?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

Funny that you're all mentioning FedEx/Fi issues, because I just tried to order a data-only SIM a couple weeks ago and it got returned after one "attempt" with "Delivery exception: Address not found." Bullshit, I've gotten plenty of packages here! I'm going to try ordering it again but I'll use my work address instead. If they gently caress that up, I'm not sure what else to do.

gently caress FedEx. I used to hate UPS, but they improved a lot, and pretty much all of my recent shipping issues have been with FedEx. They can take their invisible arrow and ram it up their asses.

Quoting myself because the "returned" SIM showed up in the mail on Saturday... after I had already ordered myself another SIM. :doh:

Well, whatever, it's free and now I'll have an extra just in case.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
Seriously considering bailing on Fi for T-Mobile now that my wife is using more data at work and on the go.

How painful has it been getting phone numbers out of Fi? I thought there were horror stories of them essentially losing your phone number and wishing you luck.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I had zero problems, but I had to look up how to release the number and get the code that the guy at Cricket needed to start the port.

It's something in the Fi app, but I don't remember exactly the steps.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
I recently ported my number out of Fi to AT&T prepaid for the 8+8GB plan and it was very easy. The only tricky part is that you have to go into the Fi app on your phone and cancel your service, which will generate a PIN and give you the account number (the 2 things the new carrier will need from you). After that you stick your SIM in your phone and that's it.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
Thanks. That doesn't sound terrible.

I'm guessing this is the end of my Google voice number though?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Just got a random referral notice which I'm assuming came from someone in this topic, so thanks for signing up with my referral link! :bubblewoop:

cycleback
Dec 3, 2004
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources
I bought a Pixel 3 as part of the Google Fi birthday 50% off sale that required activating Google Fi and just received the first statement for the period of May 14th to Jun 14th. It is set to autopay on May 25th. If I go ahead and cancel should the payment still go through for the first month of service? I don't want to pay for the second month.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

cycleback posted:

I bought a Pixel 3 as part of the Google Fi birthday 50% off sale that required activating Google Fi and just received the first statement for the period of May 14th to Jun 14th. It is set to autopay on May 25th. If I go ahead and cancel should the payment still go through for the first month of service? I don't want to pay for the second month.

No, they will prorate it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/05/20/google-fis-customer-service-is-a-complete-disaster-and-the-proof-is-piling-up/

With an Android developer leaving Google Fi, hopefully Google gives more attention to their CS for Fi/Store.

https://jasonatwood.io/archives/1881

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Fi has decided in the last week or so to use Sprint when I'm at my house. It always used TMobile before. Voice quality is rear end terrible on Sprint, and half the time it doesn't even ring when I get a call (my computer on Gmail will ring though.)

Manually switching to TMobile gives me perfect quality.

What the hell, Fi?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

FogHelmut posted:

Fi has decided in the last week or so to use Sprint when I'm at my house. It always used TMobile before. Voice quality is rear end terrible on Sprint, and half the time it doesn't even ring when I get a call (my computer on Gmail will ring though.)

What the hell, Fi?

Same but all of Chicago

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'm 95% confident that which carrier they have the cheapest deal with in a given area is a factor in what networks it prioritizes

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

What the hell, Fi?

Is there a reason you're not using WiFi calling at home?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I used to have a problem a couple years ago, where on one side of my house Fi would switch to Sprint and I'd get awful reception. I looked and there was some kind of "send extra location information to Fi to improve coverage" box that I had probably unchecked at some point. I enabled it for a week or so and suddenly I never had that problem again, even after turning the extra location info back off. This might be something for OP to look in to.

Also I would be surprised if the "lowest cost carrier" theory is correct. T-Mo and Sprint have blanket coverage where I live and I can't see a situation where T-Mo would be trying to undercut Sprint, since Sprint has awful speeds and more tiny dead zones here, yet I pretty much never had Fi go onto Sprint back when I still had Android except in a few odd instances.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
This piece of poo poo will constantly switch from us cell (with full LTE) to T-Mobile (no service at all) when I visit a certain friend's house. There is no logic to it at all.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

Is there a reason you're not using WiFi calling at home?

It is enabled. Dunno. I'm normally in the same room as the router. There's a noticeable difference when I'm on Sprint vs TMobile though.

Maybe its the Google Fi VPN?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My pixel 3 has pretty lovely call quality. Very noticeable static on my end. Seems to do it on wifi and towers. Is this a contact customer service and get a new phone kind of thing?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

if it's under warranty, you can always try and get a refurb replacement

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

When I'm at home, I put my phone into airplane mode then turn on WiFi to force WiFi Calling and texting.

Works great, except sometimes when it says "turn off airplane mode to make a call"

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

FogHelmut posted:

It is enabled. Dunno. I'm normally in the same room as the router. There's a noticeable difference when I'm on Sprint vs TMobile though.

Maybe its the Google Fi VPN?

You have to have some kind of emergency services thing filled out before they'll let you use wifi calling, I think, that might be it.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I had had an OG Pixel which broke in February, I picked up an Essential PH1 refurb for a replacement, and that died so now I have a Moto G7

I gotta tell you friends, this phone kinda owns. It's pretty big, but I'm digging everything about it. The combination SIM/microSD slot with an O ring to keep out schmutz is great.

Would definitely recommend.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hello, I come to this thread at my darkest hour

Google Fi's customer service loving sucks. I'm trying to transfer my number from a smaller carrier (Straight Talk). My account number with Straight Talk is the IMEI of the phone that I used to use with them, which was originally an AT&T phone. So when I try to transfer my number to Fi, it automatically registers it as an AT&T number and sends the request to them instead of Straight Talk. I cannot get Fi's customer support to even acknowledge this as a possibility, so for several days now I've been stuck in a loop of telling them this is happening, them telling me the transfer is functioning properly, and then me contacting them again a day later to tell them that no it's not working (they won't even humor you if it hasn't been 24 hours). I've contacted Straight Talk and they've confirmed that they haven't received the transfer request.

Does anyone have any ideas? This is starting to be not worth the trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Hello, I come to this thread at my darkest hour

Google Fi's customer service loving sucks. I'm trying to transfer my number from a smaller carrier (Straight Talk). My account number with Straight Talk is the IMEI of the phone that I used to use with them, which was originally an AT&T phone. So when I try to transfer my number to Fi, it automatically registers it as an AT&T number and sends the request to them instead of Straight Talk. I cannot get Fi's customer support to even acknowledge this as a possibility, so for several days now I've been stuck in a loop of telling them this is happening, them telling me the transfer is functioning properly, and then me contacting them again a day later to tell them that no it's not working (they won't even humor you if it hasn't been 24 hours). I've contacted Straight Talk and they've confirmed that they haven't received the transfer request.

Does anyone have any ideas? This is starting to be not worth the trouble.

I know there tend to be halfway competent support staff roaming around the Fi subreddit, if you're looking for another support channel.