Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

hexwren posted:

I want to know what kind of car that is

Porsche 924 turbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Oh man Tom Laughlin movies. I watched The Born Losers once and it has aged horribly on top of being a bad film in it's own right. It's about a biker gang that comes to town and rapes women and only Tom Laughlin can come in and save the day with his questionable martial arts skills. It's kind of a bizarro Easy Rider.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I want a van now.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Dangerous enough for Bruce Banner to start turning into The Hulk, apparently.

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

Pinterst of all places has TONS of cool van pics/collections

Ayyyyyy

Get it, King.

Holy moly:

Death Wish and Country Butcher? I'm on board

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
I was looking for random stuff on Archive.org and discovered that they have HUNDREDS of issues of Fangoria, starting with issue #1:

https://archive.org/search.php?query=fangoria

I was more of a fan if its sister publication Gore Zone when I was a kid (still have the first six issues), but this is awesome!

They also have a bunch of issues of Starlog in case anyone wants to go searching for cringe-worthy sci-fi nerdiness.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Serious Party Gods posted:

Pinterst of all places has TONS of cool van pics/collections

Death Wish and Country Butcher? I'm on board

Death Wish looks like a genuinely nice paint job.

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I was looking for random stuff on Archive.org and discovered that they have HUNDREDS of issues of Fangoria, starting with issue #1:

https://archive.org/search.php?query=fangoria

I was more of a fan if its sister publication Gore Zone when I was a kid (still have the first six issues), but this is awesome!

They also have a bunch of issues of Starlog in case anyone wants to go searching for cringe-worthy sci-fi nerdiness.

I don't have to search, it's on a shelf behind me.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Master Y. K.?

As in Y. K. Kim?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Every picture in this book is gold, but most of the pages are impossible to scan without breaking the binding. Here are a few I was able to get:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Something different:

Oh man, I wanted that Jodie Foster's Army deck with Reagan in the crosshairs so bad when I was 10. Alas, my family was too poor to spend $100 on a skateboard (deck, trucks, bearings, wheels), and I was too lazy to figure out a way to make that sort of cash, so I never did get one. Oh well. It's still a badass graphic, and JFA rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsCZWRBRwHg

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Every picture in this book is gold, but most of the pages are impossible to scan without breaking the binding. Here are a few I was able to get:

BRB, suddenly feel like I need to listen to three hours of Rush for some strange reason

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Admiralty Flag posted:

BRB, suddenly feel like I need to listen to three hours of Rush for some strange reason

You're probably just having an eyegasm.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

The mental image of vans running wild is unbelievably funny.

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back
A herd of wild vans rolls through the prarie, the morning sun glinting off of the flames, wizards, and sexy ladies painted on their flanks.

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back
Faint honks sound in the distance

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

That's a convoy, friend.

10-4, keep the rubber side down and catch you on the flip-flop

naem
May 29, 2011

witchy posted:

A herd of wild vans rolls through the prarie, the morning sun glinting off of the flames, wizards, and sexy ladies painted on their flanks.

witchy posted:

Faint honks sound in the distance

the faint stank of human musk wafting off the carpets announcing their arrival..

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

That's a convoy, friend.

Breaker, breaker, there's a 10-70 at the choke & puke, and all the lot lizards got eaten by bears. Gonna move my wiggle wagon to a Pickle Park and go hunting buffalo instead. Over and out.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Maybe I'll buy a transit and put some tool boxes and poo poo in it and then use it to bring my bikes places to ride.

naem
May 29, 2011

Salt Fish posted:

Maybe I'll buy a transit and put some tool boxes and poo poo in it and then use it to bring my bikes places to ride.

our canadian van goon thread made me price a new cargo van out of curiosity and it’s like $35k.

at $20k new I could see it being an affordable alternative for some people but that’s a bit much for a plain white box on wheels

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Breaker, breaker, there's a 10-70 at the choke & puke, and all the lot lizards got eaten by bears. Gonna move my wiggle wagon to a Pickle Park and go hunting buffalo instead. Over and out.

Roger that, rubber duck, just passin' a kojak with a Kodak at the 13 yard stick barrelin' 'round the chicken coop and heading to the old double nickle. 42 driver, keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down, I'm 10 and on the side.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

naem posted:

our canadian van goon thread made me price a new cargo van out of curiosity and it’s like $35k.

at $20k new I could see it being an affordable alternative for some people but that’s a bit much for a plain white box on wheels

For 35-40 you'd get a diesel with all the options. Chrome everywhere, toolboxes and tie-downs, a partition, surround sound speakers front and back, electrical outlets and poo poo, all that.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Something different:

Oh man, I wanted that Jodie Foster's Army deck with Reagan in the crosshairs so bad when I was 10. Alas, my family was too poor to spend $100 on a skateboard (deck, trucks, bearings, wheels), and I was too lazy to figure out a way to make that sort of cash, so I never did get one. Oh well. It's still a badass graphic, and JFA rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsCZWRBRwHg

omfg thanks so much. i can probably recreate that graphic, hmmmm...

that ollie north pic is something else too. and jello biafra, cool as always

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 26, 2019

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

naem posted:

Slightly used though? Lots of options. Transit, NV, Sprinter.

That said, I have yet to see modern custom van that doesn't look awful and soulless. And not the endearing kind of awful, just plain awful.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
We had a van conversion when I was a kid. it had a kitchen, bathroom, dinette that made into a bed, and an overhead slideout where I slept. We camped all over the place with that.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

That's a convoy, friend.

Gutter Phoenix posted:

KillerJunglist posted:

Roger that, rubber duck, just passin' a kojak with a Kodak at the 13 yard stick barrelin' 'round the chicken coop and heading to the old double nickle. 42 driver, keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down, I'm 10 and on the side.

I've always loved the CB language, its cant, if you will. I know that there's no reason for something like that to develop nowadays with internet slang for voip (where a lot of the framing language, alerts for people entering/exiting channels, checking for reception, etc. is handled by the software itself), and that a lot of the lines that really flowed came from Hollywood scriptwriters more than actual road rats, but I always kinda wished hackers and serious netheads (I am intentionally dating my slang here) talked in a similar manner.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Similar to hardcore military radio jargon , the only people really using it are the serious fetishist nerd types

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

I love old Thrasher - First issue I ever bought was the Robert Williams issue. It literally informed the rest of my life.

Only... 29 YEARS AGO?!?!?!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

This thread is wonderful for me because so much of it I remember from being a 70s-80s kid, but then there was some 90s poo poo that isn’t old enough for nostagia, that stuff just happened! Right?? :smith:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

my dad left behind a bunch of VAN WORLD magazines and one of the issues went into "the best sound system" or something like that. i'll see if i can dig it up at home.

so i'm having trouble finding the issue itself but i took a scan of the cover ages ago and when i shared it with friends i did happen to summarize the "Ultimate Stereo System" mentioned on same cover

"The Ultimate Stereo System incorporates a Roadstar 2500 AM/FM/~cassette deck~ (at somewhere between $150-250 1978 dollars), to feed a set of Laser Acoustics components including the A-200 amp (with new "Bass Boost" technology), Double Five front speakers, and the Series E three-way rear speaker set. Total system cost: ~$1000 in parts, or supposedly about $3400 in today dollars."

and here's a few other scans i took from around the same time:

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie
Saw this today and thought of this thread

Jesus christ that plate

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm the raven clumsily added to the tree in a nonsensical position

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Heavy Metal magazine is the greatest accompaniment to any other 1970s/1980s subculture project. It would look at home in a sex van or being read at the skate park! O.K. not sure if ninjas would look right reading it but maybe

I picked up like 50 back issues of Heavy Metal at the Gen-Con Auction about a decade ago because nobody else in the audience seemed to know what it was. I paid like $1/each on average, a deal at five times the price! Plus it had the H.P. Lovecraft issue from 1977 before most anyone started caring about him and that issue unironically rules

Oh anyway I yearn for more wizard vans

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

I'm the raven clumsily added to the tree in a nonsensical position

LOL - I feel like maybe it's a jet-propelled raven?

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

Dr. Quarex posted:

Heavy Metal magazine is the greatest accompaniment to any other 1970s/1980s subculture project. It would look at home in a sex van or being read at the skate park! O.K. not sure if ninjas would look right reading it but maybe

I picked up like 50 back issues of Heavy Metal at the Gen-Con Auction about a decade ago because nobody else in the audience seemed to know what it was. I paid like $1/each on average, a deal at five times the price! Plus it had the H.P. Lovecraft issue from 1977 before most anyone started caring about him and that issue unironically rules

Oh anyway I yearn for more wizard vans

Man I guess I never "got" Heavy Metal. I don't DISLIKE it - I love weird, horny sci-fi and I still figure can't it out - maybe it's too "Fantasy" for me. Perhaps I'm too young and never plugged into it.

Kudos on your score of sex-van reading though!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

People started caring about Lovecraft 10 years ago? :confused:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

I wonder where that thing is now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Serious Party Gods posted:

Man I guess I never "got" Heavy Metal. I don't DISLIKE it - I love weird, horny sci-fi and I still figure can't it out - maybe it's too "Fantasy" for me. Perhaps I'm too young and never plugged into it.

Kudos on your score of sex-van reading though!
The movie playing on HBO in like 1992 is how I got into it, so that is obviously the right path to take (not really but some of it holds up between the boobs for boobs' sake and occasionally terrible animation) .

Snowy posted:

People started caring about Lovecraft 10 years ago? :confused:
I cannot parse which direction this is going

I do think the first Cthulhu plushie probably dates to about 2003 or something based on my constant search for Lovecraft things suddenly getting much easier this millennium. Oddly this is not an easy concept to Goog