Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Jaded Burnout posted:

At this point I'm half inclined to buy a thicknesser to I'm not beholden to whatever garbage people are stocking but that's perhaps a step too far.

This is how we end up with as many tools as we do. "gently caress it! I'll make the blasted thing!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I got the Triton planer thicknesser, orange job, it's like 229 on Amazon and I'm sure there's a million reasons why it isn't as good as better ones but I love it. Just started thicknessing all sorts of things because I could.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Priced up materials for the staircase, looking around £400 inc VAT which isn't too bad given all the treads are good quality oak and all the wood is PAR.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

does that include the insulation

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

heh

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

The evergreen groverhaus.

Even if not insulated, at least you will be protected.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I had a weird sleep pattern yesterday but around 11pm I found the motivation to fit the new door lining.

Here's the empty opening. I already know it's going to be a tight fit but I've cut a piece of spare chipboard to the minimum width and tested it.

Trimming the width of the header and reading the poorly laid out but indispensable Manual of First and Second Fix Carpentry.

Jotting down some door measurements so I don't forget.

Double and triple checked all the clearances and laid out the lining.

Squared up one corner and braced it, then set the correct width near the base and braced that too, so the frame stays square.

Put in place. Still very tight (which shows how little allowance the builder left) but got it in with only a very minor bowing on the left side.

Temporary packing for the header and legs. This would be more important if the lining wasn't already very firmly held in place by the opening.

Plumbed and squared, first fixings go in.

Then worked my way up the left leg, checking plumb and square along the way, fixing as I go.

I then took the brace from the bottom and cut it to exactly fit inside the lining, called a stretcher bar. Used it to confirm the width as I go up packing and fixing the right leg. This again would be more important if there was some allowance provided that needed packing out.

Right leg.

Left leg.

That'll do nicely.

Next up is more sanding and some architrave, which means I need to actually commit to an architrave style and get some delivered.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Go open plan, no more doors. Or get star Trek doors.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Go open plan, no more doors. Or get star Trek doors.

I don't think pneumatically operated pocket doors are compatible with his walls.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I don't think pneumatically operated pocket doors are compatible with his walls.

Depends on the walls, I suppose, there's a few double-skin brick walls still in there, though you'd have to cut all the iron wall ties

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Jaded Burnout posted:

Depends on the walls, I suppose, there's a few double-skin brick walls still in there, though you'd have to cut all the iron wall ties

You'd probably also have to demolish one of the brick skins to get a proper install. Although one could try and just slide the entire assembly between the two brick skins, but I don't really see that going too well, especially after cutting the ties.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

n0tqu1tesane posted:

You'd probably also have to demolish one of the brick skins to get a proper install. Although one could try and just slide the entire assembly between the two brick skins, but I don't really see that going too well, especially after cutting the ties.

Maybe you could drill through one skin and into the other to provide a channel to fix some rods or bolts and then hang some runners off it...

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Star Trek barn doors.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

to boldly gram where everyone has grammed before

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

So that's decided. Another 50k for the star Trek doors.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

NotJustANumber99 posted:

So that's decided. Another 50k for the star Trek doors.

I do miss the running cost total.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My family has been dealing with flood damage since 2017 and now it's flooded again (both times because of the river overflowing by a massive amount).

I'm looking to pool together a list of suggestions to give my parents who live there to how to maybe mitigate the effects of flooding long term; sandbagging seems unsustainable because it takes so many hours and sandbags, they had like more than 400 sandbags and it wasn't enough to prevent the basement from flooding.

I googled flood barriers, but the first result was like 60,000$ and seems more directed at municipalities. Though maybe we could buy a shitton of aluminum sheets for cheaper and make our own?

I assume the town will complain if we do anything "ugly" and even sue us to dismantle whatever we put up so whatever solution I find either needs to be quick and temporary or permanent but passable.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Raenir Salazar posted:

My family has been dealing with flood damage since 2017 and now it's flooded again (both times because of the river overflowing by a massive amount).

I'm looking to pool together a list of suggestions to give my parents who live there to how to maybe mitigate the effects of flooding long term; sandbagging seems unsustainable because it takes so many hours and sandbags, they had like more than 400 sandbags and it wasn't enough to prevent the basement from flooding.

I googled flood barriers, but the first result was like 60,000$ and seems more directed at municipalities. Though maybe we could buy a shitton of aluminum sheets for cheaper and make our own?

I assume the town will complain if we do anything "ugly" and even sue us to dismantle whatever we put up so whatever solution I find either needs to be quick and temporary or permanent but passable.

Is anyone else affected? Your best bet is likely to get everyone involved together, get the community on board and push for a solution at source like widening the river channel, or adding a designated runoff area which can flood without damaging property.

Anything you’re able to do on your own property will only work as long as the drains and water table don’t reach the level of your parents house, and will just move to problem into your neighbour’s property.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah according to some articles over 3,000 homes. 1,400 evacuated, 1,800 properties isolated. 200 homes in Rigaud itself, etc, all along the Ottawa river. I honestly never heard an explanation as to the specific causes except that "because rain" or something.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Sorry about this.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 26, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

Some sensible and important questions

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Some cool renovation step-by-step

FYI guys this is my ongoing project thread not a megathread so while I don't much mind people posting their own stuff you might get more useful eyes on your stuff elsewhere.

Maybe we should start an actual renovation megathread for people in the throws of active projects. We have peanut's house spergin' thread which seems to carry the Q&A part well, but not sure whether the photodump style would fit there and/or whether she'd want that.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I like that you update enough and have enough folks interested in reading what's going on that it seems like a megathread. I enjoy reading about all the UK specific stuff like your lead gutters and plaster walls and rendering that you don't see that much in the US.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Rexxed posted:

I like that you update enough and have enough folks interested in reading what's going on that it seems like a megathread.

In retrospect the thread name doesn't help!

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Rexxed posted:

I like that you update enough and have enough folks interested in reading what's going on that it seems like a megathread. I enjoy reading about all the UK specific stuff like your lead gutters and plaster walls and rendering that you don't see that much in the US.
yeah there's little place to talk about non-us buildings here

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

welcome all to home spergin'!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770037

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Jaded Burnout posted:

FYI guys this is my ongoing project thread not a megathread so while I don't much mind people posting their own stuff you might get more useful eyes on your stuff elsewhere.

Maybe we should start an actual renovation megathread for people in the throws of active projects. We have peanut's house spergin' thread which seems to carry the Q&A part well, but not sure whether the photodump style would fit there and/or whether she'd want that.

My apologies I just looked and went this seems as good a place to dump as any. I'll move it when I get home.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

rex rabidorum vires posted:

My apologies I just looked and went this seems as good a place to dump as any. I'll move it when I get home.

Yah no worries, maybe I should get the thread title changed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yah no worries, maybe I should get the thread title changed.

Maybe just add you username to the title?
Hmm... "Jaded Burnout's House Renovation." "House Renovation by Jaded Burnout." Might not help given your handle.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Maybe just add you username to the title?
Hmm... "Jaded Burnout's House Renovation." "House Renovation by Jaded Burnout." Might not help given your handle.

I have PM'd SoundMonkey with a request and a similar new name suggestion.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I've been really low on motivation this week so I haven't gotten much done.

My order from last week arrived, one sheet of good quality birch ply for my stair risers and two 5.4m lengths of standard grade softwood for the stringers.

They're the lengths and sheet I picked out in the yard last Friday, and with a bit of weight on top have straightened out nicely over the last few days, though they're long enough that I could trim the small bend and still have plenty since I only needed 4m lengths but they only had 5.2m so they sold me the whole boards but discounted.

All of my technology failed, from phones to laptops to PCs, so I spent a bunch of effort and money on new gear. The inside of my PC was just about the worst dust I've seen in many years, and I worked IT for a while.

I opportunistically stepped into the MBR and did a bit of sanding because I wanted to do *something* but didn't want to change into overalls or climb on towers.

I wanted to get quite a lot off this brick since it's being sealed & painted. Definitely needed safety goggles for this because it kicks out a lot of small mortar pieces even with the dust extraction going.

Here's a section of wall not yet sanded for comparison.

Dust for those god rays.

I'm fighting to put together the motivation to build my workbench so I can get on with other things, but I just can't wrap that part of my brain around it.

Stitecin posted:

I do miss the running cost total.

If I wind up bored with no physical energy/motivation I'll see about updating my spreadsheet.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

I probably missed it, but what are you using to sand the brick? We have a newly exposed chimney in my house that needs to be cleaned up a bit. I was staying away from actually sanding since I wasn't sure how it would come out, but that wall looks great. I had been chiseling off the big lumps of motor and using a stiff bristled brush to smooth it out.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

slurry_curry posted:

I probably missed it, but what are you using to sand the brick? We have a newly exposed chimney in my house that needs to be cleaned up a bit. I was staying away from actually sanding since I wasn't sure how it would come out, but that wall looks great. I had been chiseling off the big lumps of motor and using a stiff bristled brush to smooth it out.

I'm using a random orbital sander with 80 grit sandpaper pads, but that's largely because I've got one on hand. The bricks are a little rough on the pad that sits under the sandpaper itself tbh, like when catching a nail or whatever. It would be totally fine to just use normal sandpaper blocks and a bunch of elbow grease.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm using a random orbital sander with 80 grit sandpaper pads, but that's largely because I've got one on hand. The bricks are a little rough on the pad that sits under the sandpaper itself tbh, like when catching a nail or whatever. It would be totally fine to just use normal sandpaper blocks and a bunch of elbow grease.

Have you thought of getting angle grinder / flappy disk? Might be way too aggressive, but they can be had cheaply and could speed things up tremendously (though you're screwed for dust extraction).

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

dreesemonkey posted:

Have you thought of getting angle grinder / flappy disk? Might be way too aggressive, but they can be had cheaply and could speed things up tremendously (though you're screwed for dust extraction).

I have got an angle grinder and a stack of flap disks and hadn't considered them for this application, but yeah I think they would be a lil too aggressive. Honestly this remaining plaster isn't holding on very hard, I'll probably switch to hand sanding it so as to save the pad on my sander.

It's sort of a self-balancing thing, really, in that anything strong enough to hold up to moderate sanding is strong enough to get sealed and/or painted, so it can stay on the wall anyway.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

huh, might have to give that a shot since I have a random orbital in the garage. The chimney I am working on has some pretty big hunks of mortar in spots, will probably take a scraper too it first to get those down a bit.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

slurry_curry posted:

huh, might have to give that a shot since I have a random orbital in the garage. The chimney I am working on has some pretty big hunks of mortar in spots, will probably take a scraper too it first to get those down a bit.

It probably helps that the stuff I'm removing is 110 year old lime mortar so it's not putting up much of a fight.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
You're wearing a good mask, right? Obviously stupid question I know

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

You're wearing a good mask, right? Obviously stupid question I know

I'm never annoyed by safety reminders. I've got a good respirator with appropriate filters.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Sweet. I still have a horrible image of my mom sanding and staining her floors with all the windows closed and no mask so I always ask :( proper ppe is cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Sweet. I still have a horrible image of my mom sanding and staining her floors with all the windows closed and no mask so I always ask :( proper ppe is cool

100%, I look ridiculous on those times when I'm in the full get up of half-mask, full size ear defenders, safety goggles, gloves, overalls and hair-rag, but not only do I want to keep my lungs, eyes and hearing, but I find wearing that stuff more comfortable than coughing on dust or blinking it out of my eyes.

The sander is also hooked up to dust extraction which is ridiculously loud.