Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

If you watched One Piece you wouldn't ask this question

Or Naruto where the producers thought that having roughly 90 episodes of filler in a row between the end of Naruto and the start of Shippuden was a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I dunno if it is *technically* ongoing but just look at Black Clover if you want to see what ordering too many episodes per season and being really bad at staffing and scheduling looks like

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hunt11 posted:

Or Naruto where the producers thought that having roughly 90 episodes of filler in a row between the end of Naruto and the start of Shippuden was a good idea.

Fun fact: About half of Naruto Shippuden's 500 episodes are Filler, and they kept producing Filler even after the manga was over and done with, and Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 had come out

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Vigilantes chapter 52 just dropped.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

I think that's Fatgum in the car asking Eraser about things, while pigging out as fast as he can.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
People picking at things like how the mooks didn't teleport or grapple away are missing the point that it doesn't matter because this is Toga's moment of being cool as the heaviest of rain falls down behind her

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I think that's Fatgum in the car asking Eraser about things, while pigging out as fast as he can.

Yeah it is. I love how they manage to use the pro heroes.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Man, I can't believe how much I've come around to really like Captain Celebrity. That whole flashback about how he met his wife was adorable. :3:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Cute balloon ride.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Brought To You By posted:

I at least noticed several people able to manipulate objects through whatever form of telekinesis exists for quirks. Maybe it only works on certain objects, maybe it's like Deku's mom where the quirk isn't good for heavy lifting, but they are mixed in there with Curious' crowd. Specifically a guy who had a lot of rope, and even through the portion that got cut by Toga running by has a lot left on him. So I'm also a bit curious why nobody actually made any attempt to save themselves or more specifically Curious herself even if it was panicked and futile? Kind of holding out for there being some "reset button" quirk on the liberation front's side so Curious can come back.

It feels to me like they massively overtrained for the specific abilities of the League rather than anything else. They focused incredibly hard on Toga's known quirk, down to making their blood explosive so that she couldn't drink it and use her power, to the point where I don't think they were at all ready for something new and unexpected, and being caught off guard and discombobulated by something like that for a couple seconds is enough time to die. The time period between "wait there's no gravity" and "wait there's gravity again" could be just a couple seconds and that's a lot for your brain to take in suddenly when you did all your training to fight a vampire ninja.

I expect the other fights will also involve the liberation front sending handpicked teams to deliberately hard counter each league person's quirk, as well.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 26, 2019

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Eej posted:

People picking at things like how the mooks didn't teleport or grapple away are missing the point that it doesn't matter because this is Toga's moment of being cool as the heaviest of rain falls down behind her

I understand what was meant to be communicated from a story and character arc perspective: character gets a powerup and then wins the fight against all odds.

It is just bad from a fight choreography standpoint. So it didn't feel earned at all for me.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

oh jay posted:

It is just bad from a fight choreography standpoint. So it didn't feel earned at all for me.

That vaunted pillar of fight choreography, "wasting a bunch of limited page space to halt the whole fight flow and show a bunch of characters you don't give a poo poo about try to avoid getting owned, specifically to satisfy the whims of online pedants"

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Rhonne posted:

Man, I can't believe how much I've come around to really like Captain Celebrity. spoiler

Captain Celebrity is a pretty good case study on how to turn an unlikable character archetype into a sympathetic character.

Heck, all of the characters in Vigilantes have been pretty well done. It's nice.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
weren't people mad last arc about all the more traditional shonen fights being the entirety of that arc? make up your dang minds

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
:stare:

God..drat.. jesus Toga. I always thought Ochako had one of the most potentially lethal quirks and this just reaffirms my beliefs.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I feel the same way about Captain Celebrity as his wife does. I love him, and I hate that I love him.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
I took the number Re-Destro gave to be the number of people who have actually professed loyalty to the cause, but not necessarily all of them are foot soldiers. In fact, I imagine the majority wouldn't be.

Sana-kan
Nov 6, 2009
This chapter was amazing. I'm glad Toga doesn't have a tragic backstory, she was a creepy blood freak and just wanted to continue to be a creepy blood freak.

I don't think she just got a sudden power up, remember she said she "loves" people so much she wants to become them, and you can't really truly become someone if you can't use their quirk. It's both character and quirk development.

Still want to know where she got the ninja skills... maybe she joined a circus for awhile?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Is the link not working for anyone else? I can get the previous chapter to load just fine but when I try to read this one it just sends me back to the main Vigilantes page.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

drjuggalo posted:

weren't people mad last arc about all the more traditional shonen fights being the entirety of that arc? make up your dang minds

people were mad because the fights had no stakes, which is like the exact opposite of this arc. who doesn't want shonen fights in their shonen

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

drjuggalo posted:

What does a Shonen fight even mean? People acquiring power ups after an emotional scene?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The full-page panel done in allegorical style was a nice artistic touch.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Blaze Dragon posted:

Is the link not working for anyone else? I can get the previous chapter to load just fine but when I try to read this one it just sends me back to the main Vigilantes page.

Yes, but I think it had to do with their backend, had to turn back on referrer to get it to load.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Fabricated posted:

I dunno if it is *technically* ongoing but just look at Black Clover if you want to see what ordering too many episodes per season and being really bad at staffing and scheduling looks like

drat, I was catching up on the thread and was totally going to post this.

The brutal murder of Black Clover is the perfect example of why shows should be seasonal and the talent needs room to breathe.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Shindragon posted:

:stare:

God..drat.. jesus Toga. I always thought Ochako had one of the most potentially lethal quirks and this just reaffirms my beliefs.

Yeah, this wasn't Toga using Ochako's quirk "better" than her, or in a way she "couldn't".

It was in a way she "wouldn't". That's all.

that duck
Mar 23, 2013

I was the one who pointed out the 100,000 soldiers/100,000 copies sold connection and I don't think it means anything now. Even if it does turn out that the number was exaggerated, Re-Destro still built a whole town out of true believers. There might be 5,000 people in the army or a full 100,000, but there's no narrative difference between them. It's an arbitrary large number of dudes who will all get dunked on by Gigantomachia when he wakes up. Maybe Re-Destro will call for reinforcements at the end of the arc and find out there are none, but that wouldn't be a massive ideological defeat because the LA does have a real army of thousands.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

EponymousMrYar posted:

Captain Celebrity is a pretty good case study on how to turn an unlikable character archetype into a sympathetic character.
:yeah:

I hope things are okay with him and his wife. :ohdear: CC deserves to be happy.

God, can you imagine someone posting that at the start of this arc?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

PMush Perfect posted:

:yeah:

I hope things are okay with him and his wife. :ohdear: CC deserves to be happy.

God, can you imagine someone posting that at the start of this arc?

Captain's first appearance: Holy poo poo what a douchecanoe. Can't wait for him to get splattered.

Chapter 52: I JUST WANT MY CAPTAIN TO BE HAPPY!

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I'm still surprised that his powers aren't literally fueled by celebrity.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I'm still surprised that his powers aren't literally fueled by celebrity.
I like that it's not really superstrength+flying but just a really powerful body-wide barrier that lets him effectively have both.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Fabricated posted:

I like that it's not really superstrength+flying but just a really powerful body-wide barrier that lets him effectively have both.

I mean, that's Superman's superpower.

Look at that lantern jawed super popular American, and say there's no influence.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Official translation.

https://twitter.com/CDCubed/status/1121932591966248961

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Wait, is "first daughter of the Toga family" implying Himiko has siblings?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I saw it mentioned previously that technically only sons/daughters still get called "first" for some reason, so it doesn't necessarily imply that she has younger sisters. Not sure how accurate that is (and I had a bit of trouble trying to figure out how to phrase my response so that it doesn't sound like I'm also implying she has younger siblings), but it was mentioned somewhere or other in one of the fan translations or comments on such, I think.

Also:

https://twitter.com/CDCubed/status/1121932613634052097

Shigaraki still thinks of Gigantomachia as the big problem here, haha.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

This is just :3:. I'm still rooting for him to pull through after this, even if the flashback made me think it's a massive death flag for him. :v:

Reading this, it really feels like Curious is desperate to spin Toga's story into PR for their group. She wants it to be the hero society and Quirk counselling that suppressed Toga. But Toga's memory was focused on her parents, so it seems like it's more of a personal angle instead.

It kinda reminds me of Crawler's mom, who didn't know what to do with her kid floating so she responded by hitting him every time he used his Quirk and stunting his growth rather than finding assistance for how to handle it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

amigolupus posted:

Reading this, it really feels like Curious is desperate to spin Toga's story into PR for their group. She wants it to be the hero society and Quirk counselling that suppressed Toga. But Toga's memory was focused on her parents, so it seems like it's more of a personal angle instead.

It kinda reminds me of Crawler's mom, who didn't know what to do with her kid floating so she responded by hitting him every time he used his Quirk and stunting his growth rather than finding assistance for how to handle it.

Eh, I wouldn't quite say that; our first flashback for Toga, last chapter, had her "mask" on in school and cracking off there, and this chapter had what looked like school-Toga (note the straight hair she wore in last chapter's flashbacks too) for a panel before she started suppressing herself.

Curious was clearly trying to spin Toga's story in the way that made it the most effective propaganda for her cause, but she had a point there too. It is a general societal problem that pushed Toga where she went (reacting with "Ew, you're disgusting," instead of trying to understand what her deal is and maybe helping her find acceptable outlets for her haematophilia so she didn't link love and murder).

But at the same time, the MLA wouldn't really have fixed that. Unrestricted quirk usage wouldn't necessarily make people find irregularities such as fascination with blood any less weird or disgusting. The fact that it's probably at least partly related to Toga's quirk means that in their ideal society she wouldn't get in trouble for using it, but without changing people and fostering less conservative and reactionary attitudes in society she'd have still been ostracized for it. Heck, thinking about it, I don't think it'd have changed her general life path at all if quirk use was unregulated; her problem was people finding her attraction to blood and her appearance when smiling and stuff weird, and the social backlash to it is what caused her to bottle everything up until her graduation and the ensuing incident. The legality of her quirk never even mattered until after she was already stabbing people and all.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I still think there is merit in saying that a world of restricted quirk usage creates a definition of "normal" that makes it hard to deal with quirks like Toga's. Although the connection to blood inherently makes it something a lot of people are going to be put off by, specifically the consumption of blood. In another world where quirk counseling has a better way to cases like this, her family might have just had to start taking her to a Thai or Korean joint that sells pig's blood soup and that she better be guided so she doesn't correlate affection for consumption of blood.

Now the interesting question is whether or not her strong desire to be other people is also a biological component of her quirk? Because I had a similar thought with La Brava since her quirk revolves around strengthening someone she loves and she fell hard for someone like Gentle. And it's pretty accepted theory that Sato's sweet tooth is also caused by his quirk requiring sugar to activate. Where is the line in how quirks affect and dictate the thoughts of an individual and how do you deal with that?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I just don't think Toga's issues are related to her quirk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

MonsterEnvy posted:

I just don't think Toga's issues are related to her quirk.

It's not like it's all because of her quirk, there are multiple factors involved, but it's definitely part of it. She wasn't given a healthy way to engage with her quirk, and even if you discount the whole "driven to drink blood" thing that means that she was an odd one out for her whole life. Heck, it means she was, practically speaking, quirkless, and we saw how that went for Deku. Or, if people knew about her quirk, they might have thought she had a predilection for being evil even if it wasn't true, like with Shinsou. Thus, she ended up feeling like she had to put on a false face all the time, try to be as normal as possible, even if she might have been able to fit in just fine if she didn't feel the need to put on an act!

The question of how much quirk users personalities are actually affected by their quirks vs the expectations put on them by society based on their quirks is probably too heady for this manga to get into, but you never know. It's fun to think about.