Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

JK Rowling has some odd opinions and she retrocons her books in ways some people dislike, but holy gently caress she happily pays her taxes and gives to charity. Oh no, her political opinions aren’t exactly the same as mine and she’s kept the majority of her earnings now I must hate her.

I don’t even like Harry Potter or England, but loving A there are some edgelords in this thread.

Ah but you need to understand that she is the devil because she isn't exactly like the perfect ideal of communism and actually enjoys being rich and an author of successful IPR after being a struggling artist while writing the first book.

Similar to some other thread, where people were listing companies making deals with 20's and 30's Germany being Nazi supporters because their products ended up in the hands of literally Nazis.

The milkshake ducking in these forums is only only paralled by the armchair Internet communists who actually have never seen or been in the USSR sphere of influence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Hot take incoming: tankies and JK Rowling both suck

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the terf defenders have logged on

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

She has bad opinions that a lot of people her age have, but she gets a disproportionate amount of poo poo for them because she also has a megaphone with which to blast them into the discourse every time she turns around.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
the real victims are the billionaires

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Anybody with a net worth over $6.87 is inherently a terrible monster that must be destroyed.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Anybody with a net worth over $6.87 is inherently a terrible monster that must be destroyed.

gently caress! I have $20 in my wallet

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
do u ppl always start screaming about communists whenever the rich are criticized for being bigots or

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

Oh crap so do I quick let's head to the bar and spend it on booze.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

She has bad opinions that a lot of people her age have, but she gets a disproportionate amount of poo poo for them because she also has a megaphone with which to blast them into the discourse every time she turns around.

Well I give that she is an rear end in a top hat for making it harder for people in her previous situation to do the same thing. But she still pays her taxes and promotes charities, so my personal guess is that she is hated for having opinions on her works, after the Internet fandoms have self-appointed themselves to take over.

I mean, sports-stars and TV-personalities go to tax heavens and nobody gives a poo poo. And there are much more sports stars than successful writers. Also, I bet JRR Tolkien had every bit of nasty personal opinions with the added British imperialism than she had, but he had the foresight of dying before the era of Internet.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Oh crap so do I quick let's head to the bar and spend it on booze.

That's the plan in 30 minutes

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Der Kyhe posted:

I mean, sports-stars and TV-personalities go to tax heavens and nobody gives a poo poo. And there are much more sports stars than successful writers. Also, I bet JRR Tolkien had every bit of nasty personal opinions with the added British imperialism than she had, but he had the foresight of dying before the era of Internet.

Sports and TV people are getting deservedly-increasing loads of poo poo for being rich sociopaths and uh... Tolkien gets unbelievable amounts of poo poo for his racist fantasy world of swarthy baddies?

And like, as you may guess, I am telling you this as an overall fan of racist old-timey genre authors

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Tolkien gets unbelievable amounts of poo poo for his racist fantasy world of swarthy baddies?

And like, as you may guess, I am telling you this as an overall fan of racist old-timey genre authors

Well, not really getting that much since for example HP Lovecraft gets much more constant poo poo for his "racially blatant stuff". Following today's standards yes that stuff is really obvious, but you really should not blame the author of the era for making works that sold, or hit the points with the people of that time. And those stories are still good, although you probably should take into account some other stuff if you want to make a modern version of them.

The Internet really has no concept of "eras" or that "the author is flawed". So you reflect today's standards against someone who is no longer alive, and start boycotting their entire lifes work because they said nasty things because they implied things that are problematic today. Or you hate them because they are not the ideal paragon of communism.

This in its own way is a problem, because when you start to do that, you will only end up censoring the past, which will make the future to go back accepting that same nonsense as radical thinking.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
In the case of Lovecraft though even people when he was alive were telling him to tone down the racism.

Let that sink in; 1920's white people thought he was too racist.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Der Kyhe posted:

Well, not really getting that much since for example HP Lovecraft gets much more constant poo poo for his "racially blatant stuff". Following today's standards yes that stuff is really obvious, but you really should not blame the author of the era for making works that sold, or hit the points with the people of that time. And those stories are still good, although you probably should take into account some other stuff if you want to make a modern version of them.

The Internet really has no concept of "eras" or that "the author is flawed". So you reflect today's standards against someone who is no longer alive, and start boycotting their entire lifes work because they said nasty things because they implied things that are problematic today. Or you hate them because they are not the ideal paragon of communism.

This in its own way is a problem, because when you start to do that, you will only end up censoring the past, which will make the future to go back accepting that same nonsense as radical thinking.

what does any of this have to do with jk rowling who is both still alive and still saying dumbass stuff worth criticizing

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah I’m more familiar with Lovecraft than any other such author and he got shat upon by his own wife for being an insane bigot. He was absolutely not a “product of his times.” The best we can say for him is that his severe brokebrains were understandable and it’s a shame he didn’t have access to modern therapy.

The modern meme of “Everything he ever wrote is racist and unsalvageable” is kinda annoying but let’s not pretend he doesn’t deserve it

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 21:24 on Apr 26, 2019

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

Give it to him and then the limit will be $26.87

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

what does any of this have to do with jk rowling who is both still alive and still saying dumbass stuff worth criticizing

Besides that authors who are equally or similarly famous have had bad opinions before she was even born?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

Besides that authors who are equally or similarly famous have had bad opinions before she was even born?

oh so its ok for her to be a TERF because Lovecraft was too racist for the 1920's.

got it, good postin Der Kyle.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
so people shouldn't talk about jk rowling, because people like hp lovecraft who was by all accounts a mega racist, was also actually not so bad and just a product of his time, and it's the commies who unfairly smear them. understood

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Brother Entropy posted:

What does this have to do with TV episodes that didn’t age well.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think of all the TV shows I know, JK Rowling isn't one, you loving idiots.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Sports and TV people are getting deservedly-increasing loads of poo poo for being rich sociopaths and uh... Tolkien gets unbelievable amounts of poo poo for his racist fantasy world of swarthy baddies?

Sports people get a lot of poo poo especially football and basketball ones, though baseball ones get less for some reason. Though most sports players are at best moderately wealthy

Though I guess that makes me a communist or something

CharlestheHammer has a new favorite as of 21:53 on Apr 26, 2019

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CharlestheHammer posted:

Sports people get a lot of poo poo especially football and basketball ones, though baseball ones get less for some reason. Though most sports players are at best moderately wealthy

Though I guess that makes me a communist or something

Because no one watches baseball any more.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

sassassin posted:

Because no one watches baseball any more.

Ironically they also make the most money on the upper levels and their contracts are much better so they end up with more cash overall

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Der Kyhe posted:

Well I give that she is an rear end in a top hat for making it harder for people in her previous situation to do the same thing. But she still pays her taxes and promotes charities, so my personal guess is that she is hated for having opinions on her works, after the Internet fandoms have self-appointed themselves to take over.

It’s not helping that people online love to use Harry Potter as a framework to explore politics.

“Trump’s whatever is just like when Voldemort...”

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Baseball players are more white than the other two sports. White sports folk get better treatment than POC sports folk.

That doesn’t make me sad for Shaq.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Baseball players are more white than the other two sports. White sports folk get better treatment than POC sports folk.

That doesn’t make me sad for Shaq.

His acting career does

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
What is this? 1950? Baseball is more diverse than the population as a whole.

Baseball players make more money because their careers typically last longer.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

On the whole yeah but a lot of the big contract people get mad about are white dudes. When people get mad at sport stars they are mad about the Trouts and James, not the middle income players

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

And their union is super strong.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The modern meme of “Everything he ever wrote is racist and unsalvageable” is kinda annoying but let’s not pretend he doesn’t deserve it

That said, his New York stories... uh...

I don't really get the need to defend him. Lovecraft is one of my favourite authors, but there's no shame in noting that he was unusually racist even for his time and how sometimes that bleeds into his stories, even his better ones.

Edit: vv Penguins? loving seriously, Lovecraft?

catlord has a new favorite as of 00:12 on Apr 27, 2019

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

like most racists, he was just a little weiner scared of his own shadow

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
I don't know what part of this ridiculous derail did it, but for some reason, I was reminded of Kimmy Schmidt which somehow didn't age well after a couple of episodes but then dug even deeper. Around the first episodes of the 1st season, it is revealed that socialite character played by Jane Krakowski is a Native American passing for a white woman. When she visits her parents, played by actual Native Americans, she wears some tanning makeup and brown contacts, which is supposed to be how she really is. It looks as good as you're imagining and it is just as funny; it all feels like someone came up with the shittiest idea that wouldn't get approved but it somehow did and for the rest of the season she plays this estranged character who doesn't know if she wants to keep her facade or admit her heritage.

It comes to a full stop - at least for me, cause it was when I quit watching - in the 2nd season, when now she's fully onboard of restoring her legacy and supporting her people until a sitcom inconvenience ends with her making a snide remark about Jews, inciting the lawyer played by David Cross to take legal action against her. Now there's a back and forth, where she's trying to make amends to him, considering her own race, and the two come to an agreement and eventually begin dating as she fully accepts his own heritage and invites him and his family for dinner and to watch the game. It's then that a plot point so hamfisted that it might as well have been written by porky pig happens and it turns out that he and his entire family are diehard Redskins fans, prompting both a breakup and more motivation for her to defend her people.

I have absolutely no idea why any of that happened or what even was the point of it, it was just terrible.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Sunswipe posted:

I think of all the TV shows I know, JK Rowling isn't one, you loving idiots.

I'm actually kinda surprised there isn't a Wizarding World TV show. Like even an animated show or something.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Samuringa posted:

I don't know what part of this ridiculous derail did it, but for some reason, I was reminded of Kimmy Schmidt which somehow didn't age well after a couple of episodes but then dug even deeper. Around the first episodes of the 1st season, it is revealed that socialite character played by Jane Krakowski is a Native American passing for a white woman. When she visits her parents, played by actual Native Americans, she wears some tanning makeup and brown contacts, which is supposed to be how she really is. It looks as good as you're imagining and it is just as funny; it all feels like someone came up with the shittiest idea that wouldn't get approved but it somehow did and for the rest of the season she plays this estranged character who doesn't know if she wants to keep her facade or admit her heritage.

It comes to a full stop - at least for me, cause it was when I quit watching - in the 2nd season, when now she's fully onboard of restoring her legacy and supporting her people until a sitcom inconvenience ends with her making a snide remark about Jews, inciting the lawyer played by David Cross to take legal action against her. Now there's a back and forth, where she's trying to make amends to him, considering her own race, and the two come to an agreement and eventually begin dating as she fully accepts his own heritage and invites him and his family for dinner and to watch the game. It's then that a plot point so hamfisted that it might as well have been written by porky pig happens and it turns out that he and his entire family are diehard Redskins fans, prompting both a breakup and more motivation for her to defend her people.

I have absolutely no idea why any of that happened or what even was the point of it, it was just terrible.

the real nadir of that plot is the season 2 episode with titus's geisha play that's just tina fey bitching that people on the internet dared to criticize her show having a white woman playing a native american and boohoo obviously none of you actually watched it because if you did you'rd realize it's actually very good and cool

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kimmy Schmidt was a bad idea generally, as it seemed to take its premise from a contemporary story of three women who were rescued from a dungeon where they had been held captive since childhood by a rapist. That’s not really something you want to remind people of or treat as a source of comedy.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Der Kyhe posted:

Similar to some other thread, where people were listing companies making deals with 20's and 30's Germany being Nazi supporters because their products ended up in the hands of literally Nazis.

I'm using this to post my favorite undersell of Nazi history.

The company Evonic bought a different company that made Zyklon B and this is a blurb on their websites history.

quote:

The pesticide Zyklon B was used between 1939 and 1945 primarily for gassing military accommodation and supplies, uniforms, vehicles and ships, or for pest control in forced laborers’ barracks. At the same time, however, the SS misused 1 percent of the manufactured quantities of this substance to kill approximately one million people

They also manufacture a current chemical Tego Foamex 1488 which thanks to the internet immediately makes me think they're still Nazis.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Kimmy Schmidt was a bad idea generally, as it seemed to take its premise from a contemporary story of three women who were rescued from a dungeon where they had been held captive since childhood by a rapist. That’s not really something you want to remind people of or treat as a source of comedy.

It is the kind of premise that you can't think too hard about but then they go "Actually, let's think too hard about this" and made one entire season about how, yes, the teenager Kimmy was raped for 15 years and has begun suffering from bottling that up and needs a therapist - which ends up played by a wacky alcoholic Tina Fey that doesn't actually do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
It's amazing how much better 30 Rock aged in in the past decade than Kimmy Schmidt in the weeks after its release, and that's even with 30 Rock's jarring transphobic jokes.

Tina Fey's humor in general hasn't aged well. Her style of out-of-touch liberal elitist humor "What the gently caress are you thinking?!" once the nazis started marching again.