Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Just think of Arya as a superhero. And Jon and Dany are high fantasy characters. Tormund is also a superhero with the best origin story ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

esperterra posted:

There's literally a line of dialogue in the premiere where Qyburn goes 'the wall has fallen and the dead are coming' or whatever and Cersei just goes 'lol who cares?'

Well poo poo

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Given that literally everyone but one of Jon/Dany is now cannon fodder, I don’t think the current vague maybe-spoiler really reaches the heights of “Tyrion crossbows his dad to death on the shitter”

I read that on FYAD a few times, smirked at how goofy it was, and then had a good laugh as it became clear on airing that it was going down.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Let's be honest, did anyone really believe they would have tywin die like that

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Tywin's death was peak GoT, even above the Red Wedding.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Marvel some how manages to have more embarrassing fans than GoT

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Thom12255 posted:

All the people trying to say Littlefinger had hired a faceless man to take his place was hilarious, this show stopped caring about anything except getting to the finish 3 seasons ago.

Because that’s when everyone’s contracts were up? I don’t know why this surprises everyone. They had to roll out new contracts for Season 8 and people got loving *paid*.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I read that on FYAD a few times, smirked at how goofy it was, and then had a good laugh as it became clear on airing that it was going down.

This is my experience with every spoiler I ever heard. The only one that didn’t come true was the making GBS threads in a field one. But I was sure it was some kind of parody that I would have understood if I had read the books.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You guys think Gendry knocked up Arya to keep the ol' Baratheon lineage going? Cause that would be stupid but also in keeping with the writing.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

This is my experience with every spoiler I ever heard. The only one that didn’t come true was the making GBS threads in a field one. But I was sure it was some kind of parody that I would have understood if I had read the books.

Dany gets dysentery in the books. GRRM spares no detail.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 26, 2019

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Trevor Hale posted:

Because that’s when everyone’s contracts were up? I don’t know why this surprises everyone. They had to roll out new contracts for Season 8 and people got loving *paid*.

A lot of people would rather this show were an anime.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Lycus posted:

Y’all talking about it like there’s a nonprofit that got together to stage the works of A Song of Ice and Fire.

“We’re just here for the love of the game and that’s why we staged this multigenerational work using different actors at different points in their life in order to stay true to Martin’s vision and not make any compromises whatsoever as we adapted an intensely insular work into a loving mass-market television show”

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Lycus posted:

I'd rather have a season 7 that wasn't a loving writing disaster. Season 8 has mostly been fine (because they finally got most everyone teleported to where they needed them to go), but drat.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Solice Kirsk posted:

You guys think Gendry knocked up Arya to keep the ol' Baratheon lineage going? Cause that would be stupid but also in keeping with the writing.

Yeah I'm not sure what purpose that would serve? He's already a bastard and would be having another one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think it's pretty likely because that's how television works.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Trevor Hale posted:

As has been said before, HBO wanted another couple seasons and it was the producers that chose to wrap it up in a short 8th season. They weren't worried about paying the cast increased salaries, I'm pretty sure HBO is making plenty of money off the GOT train.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I'd rather have a season 7 that wasn't a loving writing disaster. Season 8 has mostly been fine (because they finally got most everyone teleported to where they needed them to go), but drat.

I just rewatched the last few seasons, and 7 wasn't really that bad in a big dumb fun way. Things happened in cool ways, even if they had to use the offscreen teleporter to do it. 5 and 6 were the real duds, mostly because of the Sand Snake plotline and Arya's wet fart of a plot with the waif and the theater people.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Also I'm sure there are plenty of Baratheon bastards out there even if Gendry didn't get Arya pregnant. Cersei might have tried to have the ones in King's Landing killed (and failed with at least one that we know of!), but Robert traveled the country with his army loving whores and leaving bastards all over the Seven Kingdoms. If I recall correctly, Stannis and Melisandre were keeping one in their back pocket at Dragonstone in case she needed some king's blood, and Gendry took his place in the show.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah 7 and 8 might not be perfect but they mostly rule. 5 was the worst.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I liked six. Cool stuff happened, and it was a total breath of fresh air after five.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Phenotype posted:

As has been said before, HBO wanted another couple seasons and it was the producers that chose to wrap it up in a short 8th season. They weren't worried about paying the cast increased salaries, I'm pretty sure HBO is making plenty of money off the GOT train.

I just rewatched the last few seasons, and 7 wasn't really that bad in a big dumb fun way. Things happened in cool ways, even if they had to use the offscreen teleporter to do it. 5 and 6 were the real duds, mostly because of the Sand Snake plotline and Arya's wet fart of a plot with the waif and the theater people.

I liked the play versions of Ned and Sansa and wish physical media was still alive enough for some dvd extras where that troupe re-enact more events from the show.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
The re-enactment play/theater scenes were the best part of the entire Braavos subplot.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IncendiaC posted:

The re-enactment play/theater scenes were the best part of the entire Braavos subplot.

Yeah they were fantastic

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

If he dies next episode then he absolutely knocked her up.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

Let's be honest, did anyone really believe they would have tywin die like that

yes b/c i read it like a decade+ ago

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Season 6 kicks rear end because it gave us The Winds of Winter. But yeah, the resolution of Arya's time with the Faceless Men was kinda dumb.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Winter came and went only to gently caress with Stannis.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

IncendiaC posted:

The play itself was fun but I could not summon a single gently caress about the goings-on with the actors backstage. Never mind how clumsy Arya's plot was with them.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Is getting murdered in someone's place a service that the House of Black and White provides? That seems like a poor use of an assassin.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Lycus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efD3nmwF-IM

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I didn't get into the show until right before s5 when I binged 1-4 over a few days. I remember reading that spoiler but I guess I somehow forgot about it by the time I got there!

e: grats thread on your brown rank

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 27, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maybe not anime, but I thought the show would be way better as a cartoon than live action. Mostly because I didn't think they could pull off the fantastical elements convincingly. And they mostly haven't. The Wall was pretty good though.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Winter came and went only to gently caress with Stannis.

He's the only character done in by logistics and weather (and 20 offscreen good men) and it's infuriating the rules that killed stannis don't apply to anyone else ever since

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Stannis firmly and unwaveringly believed in The Rules and having him die as the sole victim of logistics in a land war is deeply hilarious

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

Maybe not anime, but I thought the show would be way better as a cartoon than live action. Mostly because I didn't think they could pull off the fantastical elements convincingly. And they mostly haven't. The Wall was pretty good though.

I agree. Really there’s a lot of stuff that would work a lot better as animation if you can shake the twin curses of “for kids” and “tween succubus”

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Lol remember in Season 6 or 7 when they showed us that Bran can time travel and influence the past, and then did nothing with that ever again

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

smoobles posted:

Lol remember in Season 6 or 7 when they showed us that Bran can time travel and influence the past, and then did nothing with that ever again

Because the show's over, after all.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Is interesting than in GoT all magic is different versions of Blood Magic. You sacrifice somebody or something, and you get something in exchange.

The childrens of the forest probably where a lot into human sacrifices. The andals did the right thing burning all these pesky ugly forests.

Mr_Moose
May 4, 2004
Tormund's attraction to Brienne is because of his childhood trauma involving large women.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Is everyone listening to the new official game of thrones pop tune?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTkxsPBTrnk

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Stannis firmly and unwaveringly believed in The Rules and having him die as the sole victim of logistics in a land war is deeply hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

smoobles posted:

he's about to hodor the mad king into burn them all mode trying to time travel back and pre-emptively stockpile enough wildfire in KL to defend against the undead army tho