Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

enojy posted:

Is it possible to block the gently caress out of News+ results from showing up in the "normal" News app feed? I'm not interested in paying another monthly fee for another service, and as it stands, it's akin to a giant ad. Especially irritating now that certain outlets have hopped on board and are now behind the News+ paywall.

This bugs me too. News used to be great but now there are just blocks of stuff I can’t read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Anyone with the latest iPhone on AT&T and upgraded to 12.2 having issues sending pictures through iMessage using 5ge and the images being super low resolution? I have a friend that any time she sends a picture to another iPhone while on cellular data the picture is ridiculously lovely. This does not happen while using wifi and the low res optimization setting is not checked. This doesn't seem to be a super common problem but I've found other people complaining about it. I don't have this issue but I have an iPhone 8 and she has an XR. Doesn't happen when sending to someone not using an iPhone and doesn't appear to be happening if you aren't on 12.2.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/12-2-beta-all-photos-i-send-to-people-are-blurry.2173156/
https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/bf26j9/5ge_has_ruined_photo_quality_in_imessage_anyone/
https://forums.att.com/t5/Apple/small-GIFs-in-iMessage-when-on-cellular/td-p/5861139

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Your non-5G phone is trying to use a 5G signal. You should complain to ATT.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Works fine with iMessage disabled or being sent to non iphones.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

5GE isn’t 5G, it’s what AT&T is calling LTE now.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Weedle posted:

Which is also why 12.2 being necessary is kind of weird since supposedly all that did was change the label.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Weedle posted:

Yeah, this is some bullshit. I thought we were past that kind of garbage already.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Weedle posted:

That was the joke.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Apples site indicates I can get like $100 for my 6 as a trade in as long as there’s no major damage. I’ve no cracks in the screen, a slight bend in the case but they did a batt change fine, and the ringer is finicky. That likely to pass their tolerances? I can’t really be bothered with a private sale.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Pocket casts isn’t downloading new eps until I open the app. Is there a setting I can change for this? It’s throwing me off how apps have some options in the app and then others in the general settings page.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
What setting do I change so that my phone doesn’t automatically play the same song every time I start the car? I’m praying to Jesus that the answer isn’t still “You make a blank track and name it aaaaaaaaaaa.mp3" but I'll bet it is.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

jackpot posted:

What setting do I change so that my phone doesn’t automatically play the same song every time I start the car? I’m praying to Jesus that the answer isn’t still “You make a blank track and name it aaaaaaaaaaa.mp3" but I'll bet it is.

It is, lol

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

jackpot posted:

My Alpine IDA-X100 would do this. There was a buried setting to always start in shuffle mode I had to enable, otherwise every time I connected my iPod it would play all songs alphabetically.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Stan Taylor posted:

Pocket casts isn’t downloading new eps until I open the app. Is there a setting I can change for this? It’s throwing me off how apps have some options in the app and then others in the general settings page.

do you have batt saver or DND turned on?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Whenever I wirelessly connect my iPhone XS configured with Apple Music to my premium ilx-107 head unit that provides CarPlay it resumes the last song it was playing when I shut the car off. :smug:

My entire closet is full of black turtlenecks, of course.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If you text the little thumbs up etc. thing to someone who isn't on iOS they definitely don't see it right?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

If you send the little thumbs up etc. thing to someone who isn't on iOS they definitely don't see it right?

Most devices see the same emoji at this point.

I think there might be one or two that android doesn’t have but it also depends on what version of android because 🤪

They should see all the basic ones.

Also if you use emoji on the iOS awful app you’ll see whatever someone posted.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is that technically an emoji though? I'm talking about the limited options that pop up if you hold your thumb down on a text (Heart, thumbs up, down !! ?)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Is that technically an emoji though? I'm talking about the limited options that pop up if you hold your thumb down on a text (Heart, thumbs up, down !! ?)

Oh! Those... yeah almost definitely not.

I read your post completely wrong.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think Apple does a conversion because I have one family group text with one person who is running Android (or at least the chat is green bubbles) and whenever one of us does a tapback it adds a "Soandso: loved an image" as a separate text in the chat.

Which is stupid and annoying looking but at least it works I guess.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

I think Apple does a conversion because I have one family group text with one person who is running Android (or at least the chat is green bubbles) and whenever one of us does a tapback it adds a "Soandso: loved an image" as a separate text in the chat.

Which is stupid and annoying looking but at least it works I guess.

Oh maybe that makes sense since I do see the notification when someone loves a text.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Literally everyone I know irl has an iPhone but I text with a few goons and all of them are on android (big shocker there lol) and I noticed that if I use that function it appears to work but it pops up as blue over their green texts and I really have no idea what they are seeing on their end. I should probably just ask.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Literally everyone I know irl has an iPhone but I text with a few goons and all of them are on android (big shocker there lol) and I noticed that if I use that function it appears to work but it pops up as blue over their green texts and I really have no idea what they are seeing on their end. I should probably just ask.

Eggplants. All they see are eggplants.

Emoji's are a standard aren't they? I see updates in my RSS feed whenever they add additional ones. Each provider just has its own slightly different version of a standard eggplant.

What the gently caress Android?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Unicode group has standardized codes for each emoji and describes what they are, but it's up to everyone using them to design their own.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Emoji's are a standard aren't they? I see updates in my RSS feed whenever they add additional ones. Each provider just has its own slightly different version of a standard eggplant.

That's definitely not what my Pixel's eggplant is:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Apple and Twitter know what's up :dong:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They really should pay goons to draw emoji icons because this forum has the best collection of emoticons in internet history. With pedigree like that you know it would be awesome.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I would buy goon sticker pack. Hell I can make it with my dev account if someone can get the high quality png. I have the sa emoji keyboard but it kinda sucks.

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice

Housh posted:

I would buy goon sticker pack. Hell I can make it with my dev account if someone can get the high quality png. I have the sa emoji keyboard but it kinda sucks.
I would gladly pay :10bux: for this. I’ve searched many times to see if someone made a set.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Same on the sticker pack here!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Wait...so the Goon emojis would be visible to people without the sticker pack?

Would this work for the animated ones or just the static images?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Wait...so the Goon emojis would be visible to people without the sticker pack?

Would this work for the animated ones or just the static images?

If you have the awful app they can see all the animated ones as well.

It doesn’t work the best but its as close as we have right now.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah you can make animated stickers using Motion and put them in the sticker pack. Might need someone to redraw them into vectors though because they need to be high resolution.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I'd buy a goon emoji pack as well.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I don’t even have any friends with iPhones and I would buy an SA sticker pack.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Krispy Wafer posted:

I’m pretty sure that picture is wrong. Here’s a better one: https://emojipedia.org/aubergine/ and it looks like only facebooks not-penis points the wrong way (out of all the companies that matter anyway).

Does anyone else remember when emoji was first talked about? I vaguely remember iPhone being the first phone outside of Japan that supported them and it was touted as something that Japanese phones “needed” to have to compete in Japan and I feel like the consensus was “wtf why do the Japanese have a whole font full of weird smileys.”

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Apr 28, 2019

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does anyone else remember when emoji was first talked about? I vaguely remember iPhone being the first phone outside of Japan that supported them and it was touted as something that Japanese phones “needed” to have to compete in Japan and I feel like the consensus was “wtf why do the Japanese have a whole font full of weird smileys.”

You used to have to download an app that requested the emoji keyboard before it would be available as an option.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I hate how, even if you turn auto updates off, iOS aggressively tries to get you to authorize overnight updates with a screen that looks just like the one you use to unlock your phone.

They did it. They got me to accidentally upgrade to the one that closes all jailbreaking by accident. Took several months of vigilance, but I let my guard down.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

I hate how, even if you turn auto updates off, iOS aggressively tries to get you to authorize overnight updates with a screen that looks just like the one you use to unlock your phone.

They did it. They got me to accidentally upgrade to the one that closes all jailbreaking by accident. Took several months of vigilance, but I let my guard down.

Why do you (want to) jailbreak?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sucks that your insecure OS got patched OP. Real bummer.