Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

AriadneThread posted:

i'm not sure this is a story where 'who is the strongest' has a straightforward answer

What are you talking about? The comic has made very clear that Jaganoth is the strongest. Absolutely nobody questions this. But being strong doesn't mean you can win. Young Meti was supremely strong, too, right up until she was laid low and had to gouge a man's eyes out with her thumbs, after all.

The question isn't "who is the strongest", the question is "who wants it's the most"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Jagganoth also wants it the most

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I think the actual answer is 'merit does not determine victory, which is wholly contingent.'

Wanting it the most and having vast power help; they're contingencies. But nothing will save you from the world, not strength or moral worth or force of will.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Except having one of the keys saves you from 111,111 worlds, at minimum

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Who What Now posted:

It sure didn't help Mottom's husband

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Super Waffle posted:

It sure didn't help Mottom's husband

Mottom took part in the universal war where the keys were actually consolidated into the 7, so it's likely her husband never had THAT powerful of a key, as she's very old and killed him long before the war. Having any key is great power, of course, but his power was probably more in line with what someone like an ambassador that one of the 7 loans a piece of their power to.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
In the first panel, where Meti takes the rat out of her bra, Incubus is watching Maya while Maya watches Meti.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Who What Now posted:

Not really, the thing keys do is open worlds. If anything having more worlds open means you're more likely to be brought low in that particular world.
It's not like having a world's key gives you special power over the world beyond having access and the inherent power amplification of a key, or Allison would be immune to everything.

E: after all, Allison has the ruling key, the 777,777 strong cosmic tuning fork for the voice of god. She's mostly spent the comic being extremely vulnerable.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Edit: nm, misread your post

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Who What Now posted:

What are you talking about? The comic has made very clear that Jaganoth is the strongest. Absolutely nobody questions this. But being strong doesn't mean you can win. Young Meti was supremely strong, too, right up until she was laid low and had to gouge a man's eyes out with her thumbs, after all.

The question isn't "who is the strongest", the question is "who wants it's the most"

what does it mean to be strong

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

AriadneThread posted:

Flesh grows weak. Steel becomes brittle. But the will is indomitable.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

AriadneThread posted:

You can lift real big things. I mean, have you seen Jag? He's jacked as gently caress.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

You can lift real big things. I mean, have you seen Jag? He's jacked as gently caress.

Imagine I posted that screed here about a man who lives a great, fulfilling life while you spend all your time lifting, and at the end of your days he is dying surrounded by family and loved ones, and you, you can lift that man

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Phy posted:

Imagine I posted that screed here about a man who lives a great, fulfilling life while you spend all your time lifting, and at the end of your days he is dying surrounded by family and loved ones, and you, you can lift that man

While you wasted your days at the gym in pursuit of vanity, I studied SWORD LAW

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tetracube posted:

While you wasted your days at the gym in pursuit of vanity, I studied SWORD LAW

Make sure your lawyer is a sword lawyer for the most cutting arguments.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
jagganoth is my large unstoppable furry son and I am very proud of him

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
In this setting being the biggest weeb is the greatest superpower of them all.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

YaketySass posted:

Well Sailor Moon was royalty after all.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

YaketySass posted:

Aha, so that is the reason that Allison is the most powerful

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tulip posted:

Aha, so that is the reason that Allison is the most powerful

it clearly says korean you baka loving gaijin

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tetracube posted:

it clearly says korean you baka loving gaijin

Anime aren't Korean, though.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Zoss didn't use any divine foresight to find the Successor, he just lurked on forums until he found the right flavor of loser.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sword law is a fancy way of saying that if you have enough sword you are the law

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tollymain posted:

sword law is a fancy way of saying that if you have enough sword you are the law

Mind you, this is K6BD, so I think we can assume that if you have enough law you are the sword.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
to master sword law is to simply concentrate as much sword within yourself as can be done by mortal will (preferably figuratively)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
theres one idiot out there whos like 99.9% sword and hes admittedly deadly as gently caress but also he cant move

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

A skilled Sword Swallower has no need for something as brutish as a sword

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
who needs to move when you can Cut anything that touches you

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i mean, theres a lot of reasons i like being able to move my body

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tollymain posted:

i mean, theres a lot of reasons i like being able to move my body

I feel like most of those reasons could be addressed through appropriately strategic Cutting.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Tollymain posted:

theres one idiot out there whos like 99.9% sword and hes admittedly deadly as gently caress but also he cant move

What if you are the bone of your sword

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
You can't say you've become your weapon until you make the ladies swoon over the fact.

Manga is called Ragna Crimson

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
You, a plebian: "But what IS strength, when one considers the subject on a metacontextual level?"

Me, an intellectual: "Jag even lifts"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Meti's Sword Manual is pretty clear in that Sword Masters don't carry swords.

We know that Maya isn't a true Sword Master because she carries the sword called Maybe, which, while not actually a sword, is still a crutch holding her back from Sword Mastery.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
To me the weirdest thing about the Maybe sword is not that Maya can cut with it, but that she seems to need to hold that tuning fork thing she uses as a hair piece in order to cut with it.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

pseudorandom name posted:

We know that Maya isn't a true Sword Master because she carries the sword called Maybe, which, while not actually a sword, is still a crutch holding her back from Sword Mastery.

I mean it says you don't need a sword, but it's better if you have one, but if not, just rip dudes apart with your hands because you are fukken Royalty.

Incidentally on re-reading the Sword Manual I caught this guy which is apropos to the current discussion:

Meti's Sword Manual posted:

The weak swordsman clings to victory. He thinks of his life, his obligations, the outcome of the battle, his hatred for his opponent, his training, his pride in his mastery. By doing so, he is an imperfect vessel for the terrible fires of Will. He will surely crack. He will not laugh uproariously if he is cleft in two by his opponent’s blade. When his sword is shattered, his hands will be too reserved to tear his enemies’ flesh.

The weak swordsman strikes his enemy down and thinks his task done. He relishes in victory. He casts away his sword and returns to his lover. Little does he know his single cut will encircle the world five times and strike him down fifty-fold.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Darth Walrus posted:

Mind you, this is K6BD, so I think we can assume that if you have enough law you are the sword.
There is in fact an Ace Attorney lawyer who cuts with his fingers, so this checks out.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

meti's only possession is a sword, and she is in fact quite finicky about the ideal type and construction of the sword one should use

her "there is no such thing as a sword" koan ties into her belief that a true master of Sword Law views every part of their body as an executor of the Cut, that the sword one holds in one's hands is merely an extension of the true instrument of death that is the swordsman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Oxxidation posted:

the sword one holds in one's hands is merely an extension of the true instrument of death that is the swordsman
I now await the appearance of some sort of gross redneck devil wearing a SWORDS DON'T KILL PEOPLE I KILL PEOPLE tank top in the comic.