Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I just ran through all of the AvP 2010 campaigns and it was pretty fun. The Marine is of course the Marine so I felt frightened the whole time. The alien was awesome with sneaking around and biting peoples heads off while your hiding on a wall/ceiling, and the Predator really felt powerful but they limit your energy usage a lot so you have to melee a lot. Still fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Xenomrph posted:

The comic is better than the book, I mailed out a bunch of copies of the comic to goons in this thread.

Is there much difference in the story? I only ever read the novel not the comic book.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm an idiot. I figured out how to create a multiplayer game in AvP 2010. The modes are Survivor, Deathmatch, Predator Hunt, Species DM, Infestation, Mixed Species DM, and Domination.

I don't know what any of them are besides a decent guess.

Survivor is 4 player co-op and Infestation is the “everyone but one guy starts as a marine and when you die you respawn as an alien” mode, and those are by far the two best. I wanna say predator hunt is the one where one guy is a predator and whoever kills him gets to be the predator next.

I would absolutely be down to get a goon group going for some infestation fun

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Gibson's Alien 3 was the one with Space Commie commandos and a giant space station that ends up full of people turning into Aliens because reasons and Ripley is barely in it so it's basically Alien 3: The Hicks and Bishop Show (and I mean that in the best possible way), right? I read it on the net way back in the 1990s and liked it.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Gibson's Alien 3 was the one with Space Commie commandos and a giant space station that ends up full of people turning into Aliens because reasons and Ripley is barely in it so it's basically Alien 3: The Hicks and Bishop Show (and I mean that in the best possible way), right? I read it on the net way back in the 1990s and liked it.

I think this got a re-release recently.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Beet Wagon posted:

Survivor is 4 player co-op and Infestation is the “everyone but one guy starts as a marine and when you die you respawn as an alien” mode, and those are by far the two best. I wanna say predator hunt is the one where one guy is a predator and whoever kills him gets to be the predator next.

I'm completely incapable of handling any sort of responsibility so if someone wants to make a time and date or ad hoc or whatever to play this game, go ahead and post it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Linux Pirate posted:

I think this got a re-release recently.

Yeah, the dude who did the last three Hitchhiker's Guide radio series is producing an audio version and Michael Biehn is playing Hicks again (but somehow Lance Henriksen wasn't available).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah, the dude who did the last three Hitchhiker's Guide radio series is producing an audio version and Michael Biehn is playing Hicks again (but somehow Lance Henriksen wasn't available).

Lance Henriksen is in it as Bishop.

Also, Happy Alien Day everyone! I'll probably post photos of wacky Alien merchandise after work or something. :toot:

Joe Chill posted:

Is there much difference in the story? I only ever read the novel not the comic book.
The story is largely the same, but the order of events is changed up. Also, the novel obviously doesn't have the comic's (fantastic) artwork.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 26, 2019

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Xenomrph posted:

If you’re cool with digital comics, I posted a link a few posts up where Dark Horse is selling it for like $3.

For that price I can't say no! Ta for the heads up.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

This.

I'm completely incapable of handling any sort of responsibility so if someone wants to make a time and date or ad hoc or whatever to play this game, go ahead and post it.
But also this.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Alien: Isolation and Aliens Colonial Marines are on steam at 75% off right now if you were thinking of pulling the trigger on them but haven't yet.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Xenomrph posted:

Lance Henriksen is in it as Bishop.

That's awesome! I looked up the cast list but couldn't find his name.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

frogge posted:

Alien: Isolation and Aliens Colonial Marines are on steam at 75% off right now if you were thinking of pulling the trigger on them but haven't yet.

A:CM even with the overhaul mod is godawful.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
If you live near a theater that does the Fathom Events thing, Alien will be in theaters Oct 13, 15th, & 16th. I saw it at the Cinerama in Seattle for I think the 25th anniversary and it ruled.

Alien 40th Anniversary

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

This.

But also this.

I guess if anyone wants in you can find me on Steam (Beet Wagon) or we can set it up on discord just make sure you to message me and mention avp or something

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I'm watching Aliens right now, ama

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

I guess if anyone wants in you can find me on Steam (Beet Wagon) or we can set it up on discord just make sure you to message me and mention avp or something
I'm in, just don't count on me to be any good at anything :downs:

Whybird posted:

I'm watching Aliens right now, ama
Theatrical or extended cut?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://io9.gizmodo.com/alien-is-getting-a-tabletop-roleplaying-game-1834309513/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

Nap Ghost

I'm in, just don't count on me to be any good at anything :downs:

Theatrical or extended cut?

Extended. I'm just on "game over man, game over".

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

This is cool, although the article is slightly incorrect - Leading Edge did a tabletop miniatures game that recreated scenes from ‘Aliens’, and an RPG where you made original Colonial Marine characters and went on space adventures. A big component of it was doing stuff NOT related to shooting Aliens, which was interesting.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I hope they give us enough setting material to have some sessions entirely unrelated to the space monsters. Colony labor insurrections, corporate intrigue, whatever.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Nap Ghost
God drat, I've seen that scene with Ripley in the locked medlab a ton of times and it has me on the edge of my seat every time. The way that facehugger lashes its tail and skitters and tries to struggle away terrifies me.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Whybird posted:

Extended. I'm just on "game over man, game over".
I don't know what to ask in that case! That being said, open question; other than Newt's family finding the derelict and Ripley learning of Amanda's life & death in the last 57 years, what extra scenes does the extended version have over the theatrical? It's been such a long time now since I've watched that version that I'd probably (incorrectly) scream blue murder about missing scenes if Aliens was showing the theatrical cut on TV without me knowing.

I don't even play tabletop stuff (because I live a million miles away from anyone else I know who would), but I'd probably get this in the same way I want the RE2 board game.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I don't know what to ask in that case! That being said, open question; other than Newt's family finding the derelict and Ripley learning of Amanda's life & death in the last 57 years, what extra scenes does the extended version have over the theatrical? It's been such a long time now since I've watched that version that I'd probably (incorrectly) scream blue murder about missing scenes if Aliens was showing the theatrical cut on TV without me knowing.

Sentry guns. Extended exchange hypothesizing the queen.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Nap Ghost

Man, I've no idea. The only way that I can tell it's the extended cut is that I've seen Newt's family find the derelict -- it's been an age since I've seen either version.

God drat, Bishop is terrifying. That scene where they just drop him in that tunnel and he just gets on with the job totally sells how alien his thought processes must be.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I would have had a nervous breakdown if I had to film that scene. I am massively afraid of tight spaces like that.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Owlbear Camus posted:

Oh, not as much as I thought there'd be. I still like those scenes enough to want them included every time I watch the movie though.

Whybird posted:

God drat, Bishop is terrifying. That scene where they just drop him in that tunnel and he just gets on with the job totally sells how alien his thought processes must be.
I love how he's repeatedly saying "I'll go" as if the proposed task is a walk to the shop all while Hicks and Hudson are barking at each other with neither of them even noticing. The way he quizzically looks at the handgun Vasquez gives him before he passes it over to Ripley two seconds later is a subtle touch too.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Oh, not as much as I thought there'd be. I still like those scenes enough to want them included every time I watch the movie though.

I probably already mentioned my Bespoke Cut would keep the sentry guns and Ripley Kid Pathos and lose the Hadley's Hope scenes (messes up the pacing and tension IMO, and the sole survivor also being the one who rode out to check the derelict feels a little on-the-nose) and the extended discussion about how there must be a queen (feels a bit too much like they are pre-expositing for the audience members too stupid to understand why the huge alien is laying all the eggs.)

quote:

I love how he's repeatedly saying "I'll go" as if the proposed task is a walk to the shop all while Hicks and Hudson are barking at each other with neither of them even noticing. The way he quizzically looks at the handgun Vasquez gives him before he passes it over to Ripley two seconds later is a subtle touch too.

He may be synthetic but he's not stupid.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Owlbear Camus posted:

There’s also Hudson’s “ultimate badass” speech, the stuff at the colony before we see the Jordens find the Derelict, Hicks and Ripley exchanging first names before Ripley gets off the dropship to go rescue Newt, the hamsters setting off the motion trackers when the Marines do their first sweep of the colony, and probably some others I’m forgetting.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

There’s also Hudson’s “ultimate badass” speech, the stuff at the colony before we see the Jordens find the Derelict, Hicks and Ripley exchanging first names before Ripley gets off the dropship to go rescue Newt, the hamsters setting off the motion trackers when the Marines do their first sweep of the colony, and probably some others I’m forgetting.

Whoah the ultimate badass speech isn't in the theatrical cut?

Man, I considered that instrumental to setting up Hudon's arc from braggadocio to coward to firey combat redemption.

Here's what appears to be an exhaustive source:
https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=2558663

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Owlbear Camus posted:

Whoah the ultimate badass speech isn't in the theatrical cut?

Man, I considered that instrumental to setting up Hudon's arc from braggadocio to coward to firey combat redemption.

I believe a portion of it is in the theatrical cut, but there’s an extended version where he talks about a bunch of random Marine weapons and stuff.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sonic electronic ballbreakers, man. The state of the badass art.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Oh poo poo, of course the bit with Simpson & Lydecker was in the extended cut too.

Small bit of trivia here, but realising Mac McDonald (Simpson) came back to the franchise to voice Chief (and some other un-named NPCs) in Isolation was something I enjoyed more than I probably should have. I mean Chief is a character completely unrelated to Simpson, and his audio records don't even reach three minutes combined (calling the Working Joes "spooky bald bastards" soon became my favourite way to describe them though). Then there's the fact that Simpson wasn't even in the theatrical cut. This voicework could have been done by almost anyone on the loving planet but knowing that there was just this little bit of extra effort during the development of that game to bring yet another actor back makes it all the better to replay :allears:

Sneaky edit:
He's also in Batman, credited as "Goon". That's beautiful.

Edit 1:

Beet Wagon posted:

Sonic electronic ballbreakers, man. The state of the badass art.
Having Hudson waffle on like this only to lose his poo poo and fall apart when the mission goes completely south is another reason to keep these bits of the extended cut. I'll concede that the whole 'Finding the Derelict' scene is a bit too much though if you're going into the movie blind.

Edit 2:

Owlbear Camus posted:

the sole survivor also being the one who rode out to check the derelict feels a little on-the-nose) and the extended discussion about how there must be a queen (feels a bit too much like they are pre-expositing for the audience members too stupid to understand why the huge alien is laying all the eggs.)
Yeah gently caress it, what this guy said. Although the Simpson/Lydecker scene does show just how frustratingly tedious and red-taped things are under WY's control.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 27, 2019

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah gently caress it, what this guy said. Although the Simpson/Lydecker scene does show just how frustratingly tedious and red-taped things are under WY's control.

Yeah. I think the narrative structure is best when we're stuck with the PoV of the Marines/Ripley vs omnescient.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Owlbear Camus posted:

Yeah. I think the narrative structure is best when we're stuck with the PoV of the Marines/Ripley vs omnescient.

I disagree, I prefer seeing the “normalcy” of the colony juxtaposed with the eerie destruction the Marines find. I mean, it shouldn’t be a big mystery that poo poo is going to be hosed up when the Marines get there, because the movie is called ‘Aliens’ and it’s a sequel to ‘Alien’. Seeing the “before” heightens the impact of the “after” that the Marines find.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xenomrph posted:

I disagree, I prefer seeing the “normalcy” of the colony juxtaposed with the eerie destruction the Marines find. I mean, it shouldn’t be a big mystery that poo poo is going to be hosed up when the Marines get there, because the movie is called ‘Aliens’ and it’s a sequel to ‘Alien’. Seeing the “before” heightens the impact of the “after” that the Marines find.

I agree with this really hard. It adds a lot more to the movie's atmosphere to me to see hot was a pretty bustling and normal place for some time and then when Ripley+the marines arrive it's just DEAD. They even find a facehugger that's already dead. That fuckin' rules.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I understand both points of view and I think we all settled on a compromise.

Watch the theatrical cut first, then the extended cut for the 100 times you watch it afterwards. .

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I understand both points of view and I think we all settled on a compromise.

Watch the theatrical cut first, then the extended cut for the 100 times you watch it afterwards. .

Sounds fair. It's how I did it and now I don't even remember the theatrical cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Aliens is the only movie I saw in the theater two nights in a row (opening night and and the next night)

Audience went nuts when “LET’S ROCK!!!” went down