Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yes, but extend it to the entire entertainment industry.

The only other way would basically be to make the player feel like a 'clean wehrmacht' officer. You have events firing all the time that cause more and more maluses to your industry and supply throughput as resources are shifted to the deathcamps, and the only way to stop the events from firing is to overthrow the Nazis through a focus or event.

Still obviously hosed and fascist, because 'the holocaust was bad for the warmaking capabilities of the third reich' is a disgusting framing.

Deathcamps were insanely profitable though. Nazi's had horrible industry, a hosed economy, and deep deep corruption and mismanagement at every level. Their whole very temporary economic boost was mostly based on the government declaring a huge portion of its richest citizens non-humans and taking all their assets and spending it on guns and butter for their troops. Their expansion and conquest was needed to sustain this, they needed to invade other countries to sack for quick injections of loot and slaves. The moment nazi germany ran out of people to rob and kill their whole economy would have crashed and burned. It was an extremely not at all sustainable system, but games never really mechanically depict it that way. They always like to show germany as this efficient advanced industrial economy with super science, imagine how powerful they'd have been if they hadn't wasted resources on the whole genocide thing! But that really wasn't the case, it was a regime entirely propped up through the murder and robbery of huge swaths of europe. The nazi's couldn't manage a factory let alone economy to save their lives, mass theft to fill their coffers and genocide to free up food for the troops was a pillar of their economy.

A game where you have the accurate situation the nazi's were in would be really horrifying, you'd be strongly rewarded for your crimes against humanity in the short term. But then accurately show that no matter how well you move your troops around the map, once you've run out of people to rob and kill your economy crashes, show the regime and the ideology as the idiotic dead-end it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Stairmaster posted:

dont loving put in a tank designer you fools

tsk, smdh

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Pharnakes posted:

I think he means mechanically Stalin did nothing wrong. As in if you don't purge you will get a Trostkyist uprising, rather than the purges being manifestations of Stalin's paranoia.

It wasn't paranoia, it was political infighting between different power bases in the government (Stalin's core vs the provincial peripheries) with the general populace caught in the crossfire

http://home.ku.edu.tr/~mbaker/cshs522/GettyMassRepressions.pdf

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I would rather the ship designer be removed than a tank designer be added.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Personally I'm boycotting HoI until they implement a uniform designer

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Crazycryodude posted:

Personally I'm boycotting HoI until they implement a uniform designer

every swatistica is 20 pp

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I do think it's a mechanically interesting idea to make fascism a more seductive option for a player at the tradeoff for the fact that the player has to acknowledge that they're a bad person, but that only works if the game really rubs it in, and the only game I've seen like that is Frostpunk.

Otherwise, all you're saying through your game mechanics is that fascism sure is a great system where more can get done, and all the initiative is on the player to work out that it's bad.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

let me personally design the boots of my troops

that is the true Victoria's Secret

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
HoI has the same problem Knights of the Old Republic had, it's more fun to go around force choking people and shooting lighting out of your fingers than it is to go around and explicitly not do those things.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

SlothfulCobra posted:

I do think it's a mechanically interesting idea to make fascism a more seductive option for a player at the tradeoff for the fact that the player has to acknowledge that they're a bad person, but that only works if the game really rubs it in, and the only game I've seen like that is Frostpunk.

Otherwise, all you're saying through your game mechanics is that fascism sure is a great system where more can get done, and all the initiative is on the player to work out that it's bad.

I don't even think Frostpunk does it particularly well, the game places the stakes so high (the stakes being the complete extinction of humanity) that basically anything is justifiable in that circumstance.

The game walks back those stakes a bit with the other scenarios where you learn that you weren't the only city but it feels more like a hamfisted attempt to walk back just how bad things are in the main scenario (as well as justification for more scenarios).

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Jeoh posted:

let me personally design the boots of my troops

that is the true Victoria's Secret

Game's not complete until the inefficiencies of German helmet manufacturing are properly modeled

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Let me design my soldiers’ webbing.

I don’t think paradox is full of nazis, but the current systems in several games do really turn me off.

And similarly I don’t think playing Germany in HoI makes anyone a nazi but... I haven’t picked Germany since HoI2 Doomsday. I’m a french sephardic jew via my mom and my via my dad, descended from alsatian “malgré-nous” forced to serve the Nazis. Playing as the Nazis is unthinkable to me and some paradox fans think that makes me some kind of weak-kneed millennial communist who can’t separate games and reality when if anything, separating games and reality is exactly why I don’t want to play Hitler.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Also just saying you can win the main scenario in Frostpunk without going down one of the paths and it's also pretty easy to do so. It's quite a slap in face when you save everyone without resorting to extremism and you still get the message of "but was it worth it?"

Yes it loving was, I saved everyone for basically no cost. Of course it was worth it. It's a great game, but it's trying too hard to be edgy.

I understand what you mean when you say "stakes are high" in Frostpunk by narrative but it feels super silly when I did a perfect run on my second try.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 26, 2019

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don’t think paradox is full of nazis, but the current systems in several games do really turn me off.

And similarly I don’t think playing Germany in HoI makes anyone a nazi but... I haven’t picked Germany since HoI2 Doomsday. I’m a french sephardic jew via my mom and my via my dad, descended from alsatian “malgré-nous” forced to serve the Nazis. Playing as the Nazis is unthinkable to me and some paradox fans think that makes me some kind of weak-kneed millennial communist who can’t separate games and reality when if anything, separating games and reality is exactly why I don’t want to play Hitler.

You can launch a coup now and play as the Kaiser.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah my first ever run I played Germany because that's who everyone recommended as a tutorial nation, I got like halfway through and then quit because looking at all the Nazis and swastikas made me feel really poo poo, and I haven't touched them since. I don't really understand why anyone would actually want to play Germany but it kinda has to be an option and also I guess it makes it easy to spot all the weirdos.

Edit: I partially take that back, now that Germany has alt-hist paths I can see how that would be interesting. I don't know why anyone would want to play the Nazis is a more accurate statement.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Crazycryodude posted:

... and then quit because looking at all the [...] swastikas

There's literally zero swastikas in the game

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Dramicus posted:

HoI has the same problem Knights of the Old Republic had, it's more fun to go around force choking people and shooting lighting out of your fingers than it is to go around and explicitly not do those things.

the communist focus trees mostly fix this

except for the soviets because lol why bother with largest contributor to the war, the dutch need alt-history paths!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Groogy posted:

Oh duh :downs:, this was years ago guess my memory has turned all the Iron Cross find-replaces into the swastika they're obviously supposed to be over time.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 26, 2019

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

YF-23 posted:

This touches on several things. and my question to it would be "why do people take their history from map games in the first place". Basically a question as to whether Paradox has any responsibility towards abuse of their product (and I would argue that treating a videogame as an educational tool qualifies as abuse in this context). Ultimately I'd say they kind of do have to adress it but that you also cannot really hold them responsible for people going "wow, fascism gives so much manpower, this shows it's good to be a racist!".

I don't think short of sponsoring a bachelor's in history for everyone that there's much that can be done to stop people from taking their history from map games (and all popular media; see also historically accurate depiction of the middle ages, Game of Thrones); when it's the main place people are actually exposed to this stuff, it's gonna rub off.

also in my opinion a key part is that it isn't this active "well you see I'm making this argument based on Hearts of Iron" so much as that this poo poo rubs off subconsciously and comes up again later on when we don't remember where it came from, and informs our other opinions on things even when we don't realize it. So rather than things like Stalin Being Right (though still dumb) that can be disproved easily later on by taking even a cursory interest in the subject and that'll get mocked to high heaven if you actually have a discussion with someone and they realize where your opinion is coming from, the worst is poo poo like Civ's linear tech tree or EU4's Germany-is-as-rich-as-China that is extremely nebulous and hard to disprove without a fairly involved understanding while still being really insidious to how people end up viewing the world.

incidentally i assert this based on no formal study whatsoever but I've been thinking about this a lot lately so

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Groogy posted:

There’s literally everything but swastikas though, and anyone who has existed between 1945 and 2019 is going to know how many swastikas are festooned in their fake Reich (all of them). Plus there are focuses that amount to “gas most of my relatives for +10 factories” couched in straight-up nazi language.

The anti-Hitler paths are fun but it still kinda hits me the wrong way since there are irl people who think “all that german militarism was completely fine, even good! Stalhelm-wearing feldgrau-clad soldiers conquering everything would have been great!... too bad about the Holocaust, what if we did everything the same except all slave workers and no gassing?”

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Dramicus posted:

I used to feel this way as a kid (kind of,), now I have trouble making "evil" decisions in games because I feel like an rear end in a top hat

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Also keep in mind s lot of our "historicity" has an element of what do the player expect? Like why the hell does Russia have the Soviet meme of manpower in EU4? Because otherwise people wouldn't identify it with being Russia.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Groogy posted:

Also keep in mind s lot of our "historicity" has an element of what do the player expect? Like why the hell does Russia have the Soviet meme of manpower in EU4? Because otherwise people wouldn't identify it with being Russia.

I thought Russia had a large population even in that time period?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Groogy posted:

I mean, these games are exactly the kinds of things where you can change those expectations though. I mean gently caress, how many threads have there been about "don't you know Carthage is white and Egypt is yellow??," an opinion basically entirely informed by some relatively arbitrary choices by like, Total War. I don't think game companies necessarily have a "responsibility" to educate or that they're worthy of condemnation when the games end up reinforcing objectionable understandings, but it would be...better if they treated this stuff with gravity, because (imo) it's like one of the very most important places for how people learn this stuff.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

VostokProgram posted:

In that time period, the most populous countries were Ming China, the Mughals, France, and everyone else, each tier separated by almost an order of magnitude from the next

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

VostokProgram posted:

That has nothing to do with how the army is built up or what kind of manpower is available. One of the great success of Sweden was how much of its population it could pull into military service. Russia had similar reforms where especially Peter the Great made the Russian army onto something you would resemble as a Prussian army

Also before anyone tries to correct me, yes Russia stayed with serfdom while everyone else moved away from it which caused of course tons of complications here

Groogy fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 26, 2019

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Groogy posted:

Also just saying you can win the main scenario in Frostpunk without going down one of the paths and it's also pretty easy to do so. It's quite a slap in face when you save everyone without resorting to extremism and you still get the message of "but was it worth it?"

Yes it loving was, I saved everyone for basically no cost. Of course it was worth it. It's a great game, but it's trying too hard to be edgy.

I understand what you mean when you say "stakes are high" in Frostpunk by narrative but it feels super silly when I did a perfect run on my second try.

You didn't get the perfect ending.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Beamed posted:

You didn't get the perfect ending.

Maybe perfect ending wasn't implemented then, I saved everyone on the map and not a single one died. I didnt even exploit the children

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Posters who are uncomfortable with Germany in Hearts of Iron, what your ideal response from Paradox be (and I don't mean this in a hostile way): cripple Germany? Make it non-playable? Not make a game about WW2 in the first place? I would understand if it was.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Farecoal posted:

Posters who are uncomfortable with Germany in Hearts of Iron, what your ideal response from Paradox be (and I don't mean this in a hostile way): cripple Germany? Make it non-playable? Not make a game about WW2 in the first place? I would understand if it was.

bring back the option to assassinate leaders from hoi2

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Farecoal posted:

I 110% understand why they don't, but my ideal response would be to constantly highlight the German war crimes and atrocities.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

bring back the option to assassinate leaders from hoi2

Oh great, now Himmler is in power. Everything is much better now.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Dramicus posted:

Oh great, now Himmler is in power. Everything is much better now.

lol that reminds me of when DH would bug out and have both the success and failure events for the july 20th coup fire and everyone in germany ends up dead

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol that reminds me of when DH would bug out and have both the success and failure events for the july 20th coup fire and everyone in germany ends up dead

Are you sure that wasn't some proto-betatest for TNO?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

The only time I ever had fun in a HOI game was HOI2 Doomsday with friends when we formed the super alliance of Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia, Poland, and Romania, knocked out Germany in 1936, made Italy Yugoslavia's puppet the next year, started WW2 against the Soviets and fought them until everyone ran out of manpower and we all sat watching each other with no troops until 1946.

Sadly you can't have fun in HOI games since HOI3 and the annoying alliance mechanics.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Groogy posted:

Maybe perfect ending wasn't implemented then, I saved everyone on the map and not a single one died. I didnt even exploit the children

You also need to avoid getting any pop-ups that ask you to do something like heat up homes or keep people fed.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Koramei posted:

I 110% understand why they don't, but my ideal response would be to constantly highlight the German war crimes and atrocities.

On the flip side of the coin, then we'd have Nazis furiously masturbating over the game (more than they already are).

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Baronjutter posted:

There's so much unpacked ideology in here you'd need two dumpsters to even begin to eat from it.

can we all appreciate this post because it's very good

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Farecoal posted:

Well to answer the other side of it, I find this sort of "You can do this, but I need to remind you, a literal child, that this is bad, so that these videogames don't corrupt you or that you ever think the wrong thoughts like maybe the Germans were somehow not trash" to be immersion breaking while playing a game.

I prefer the more abstracted way of handling things so that concepts like slavery can be in Imperator or the Axis can be in HOI4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

there are people still alive today who were in nazi death camps - it's a little more fresh and painful than roman slavery