Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They're pretty good. I think they clearly spell out the mechanics. Only time it's kind of a problem is with the 3rd fight and knowing where to be when he spawns in the adds while he builds meter. Even then most raids put down letters to signifiy which group should be where.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

FactsAreUseless posted:

I mean we cleared it on the first try but that's not what I'm asking. Are the fights a confusing mess for everyone or just me?

I kinda found it the least memorable of the three, if that helps any. Actually confusing is hard to tell since its such old content, it gets a little iffy on which mistakes matter and which don't

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:

FactsAreUseless posted:

So is Rabanastre a mess of terrible nonsense fights and badly-conveyed mechanics or did I just not get it?

It's in this weird spot where people ignore things they probably shouldn't because even though most folks are at a point that they overgear it, it quickly becomes really overwhelming when things are ignored or managed poorly. If you watch the MTQ Guides (Rabanastre here) she's pretty good at explaining what goes on, what to look out for and how to deal with it without being a typical YouTube guide type person.

But Rabanastre compared to Ridorana and Orbonne is piss poor mechanically. It's not really got anything in it where you go "ohhh! that's telegraphed appropriately" or "ohhh! now it makes sense!" The final boss still has some mechanics that make me go "what the gently caress" even if I'm doing everything (apparently) correctly.The Garamsythe Waterway is still cool though.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I had something typed up but then I lost it due to a power outage because of a storm

If you want me to go into details I can, but the boss has a cast bar and you have debuffs. All end game content in this game comes down to what is the boss casting now/next and what do I have to do to resolve this mechanic/debuff?

Mateus:
- there’s some adds with soaking wet/freezing mechanic
- you have to kill the toads to make air bubbles appear
- you have to use the air bubble to not drown

Interstitial:
- run away from the red chocobo meteor

Hashmal:
- his glowing hand is the side that does damage
- the towers’ shadows will show you where they fall
- the spheres adds need to be killed
- use caster lb3 on the golems

Interstitial:
- I think one of these nerds is a chimera so don’t get frozen

Rocofle:
- goes in a figure 8
- you have to actually click the markers on the ground
- pop sprint
- stay behind him while he’s charging
- kill the add in the jail

What’s his nose:
- blue woman face = listen, purple skull face = defy
- kill the clones
- don’t touch the water
- when he does the jump he does a self centered aoe almost immediately
- use sprint if you get misdirection and you’re trying to make it into the donut

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

So is Rabanastre a mess of terrible nonsense fights and badly-conveyed mechanics or did I just not get it?
Mateus - when the big spiral pattern goes out on the floor, the small water bubbles need someone to run through them, the large water bubbles need to be destroyed, and the big puddles need 3 people standing in them to clear them. All of them make things more difficult if the ice lady skates through them. The toads during the water phase need to be killed to drop bubbles that you need to stand in to prevent you from drowning.

Seeqs and Chocobos - watch out for the Red Chocobo, it runs down the wall at a point during the waves of black chocobos and drops a chocometeor that you probably don't want to be near.

Hashmal - the towers he cuts will fall in the direction they're sliding down, don't be in the way. When he hops to a side, one of his arms will be on fire, be on the other side of the arena from that arm (and also don't get run over by the boss). When he hops up on his tower, the three alliances should all be at one side each (Y pattern from the entrance) so they can kill the adds. The golem adds need to die (caster/ranged LB works well). If it goes long enough there'll be a second arena division phase, just do what you did earlier, mostly (you can run through the blue flames, but don't get crushed by the pillars).

Seeqs and Archeo-adds - two are Chimeras with Chimera attacks, which is annoying.

Rofocale - Chariot puts a big line towards a target (try and bring it to the boss if you're targeted), then after charging he'll turn and throw a vulnerability up AOE at the other side of the room. Trample makes a figure 8 and the boss's position vs. your own hitbox determines if you get hit (try and be directly in front, behind, or to the sides for better reaction time). Adds are another separated alliance deal, in a triangular pattern from entrance. I think his ult hurts more depending on where you're standing as he comes down: the room's center is where a lot of damage will be dealt. Embrace puts down mines that will bind in an AOE around them if someone walks over them (try to avoid that). When the lights go out, you have to actually click the lighted areas, not just stand on them.

Argath - the first mask (the calm looking one) gives you orders that you need to follow to avoid a stacking debuff (third stack turns you into a chicken that runs to the edge, the edge will turn into a field that turns you into a suicidal zombie that will attack a teammate for a bit before exploding). The second mask (the demon looking one) gives you orders you need to do the opposite of (so if it tells you to run around, stand still). The knife cross markers that tags a few players is ideally stacked in the center because it drops a delayed cross AOE where they're standing and you also need to avoid a meteor AOE. Shade adds are usually preferred stacked so people can AOE them, after they die they come back as Shards of Darkness which need to be killed before his Ult charges. Gnawing Dread is I think the rotating pointer above your head; you can only run in the direction it's pointing, but it stops rotating while you're moving. Just try and aim for the clear spot and do minor tap adjustments to change your direction.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

FactsAreUseless posted:

It is and it's pretty great. The other ones are just as bad so get ready.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Actually, something mildly related that Rabanastre always reminds me of because of the masks (they don't give the same commandment to everyone in an alliance even) - is there some menu option that I'm overlooking that puts this big floating text on the field? Whenever I'm running with my friends, I tend to call things out, but since I couldn't for this mechanic, I just told them to follow the message and they swear they don't see it like I do (it IS in the chat log, too, but that's a lot less convenient), and I don't know what they'd have to do to get it if they really don't have it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Failboattootoot posted:

It is and it's pretty great. The other ones are just as bad so get ready.

Lighthouse (no spoilers)
Boss 1 sucks, nothing redeemable
Boss 2 is fine but kinda annoying
Boss 3: THE GOAT
Final Boss sucks, I’d rather do boss 1 again

Orbonne
Boss 1 rules
Boss 2 rules
Boss 3 actually the goat, false alarm earlier
Final boss: fine? It’s not bad, and it does finish strong

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I quite dislike the Stormblood Alliance Raids because the mechanics feel bad. Orbonne is probably the best of the bunch.

As a bonus, the storyline sucks too!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Actually, the Ivalice raids are good and have good mechanics.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I still find alliance raids to be too long even way back in ARR. It's a shame that so much glam is locked behind them and I'll never get it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cabbit posted:

Actually, the Ivalice raids are good and have good mechanics.
Which ones did you like? I don't think I could tell you what any of the Rabanatre mechanics were. I think at one point Mateus summoned frogs?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Rabanastre is pretty meh, it pretty much goes up in mechanics quality as you go on.

God bless mathbot.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

God bless mathbot.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

FactsAreUseless posted:

IMO the fights make sense. A lot of the mechanics are new and punishing and more about what the boss looks like at the time than the traditional AoE telegraph. It is also the easiest of the 3. Ivalice's mechanics make sense, but expect to die a lot if you go in blind.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Which ones did you like? I don't think I could tell you what any of the Rabanatre mechanics were. I think at one point Mateus summoned frogs?

He does! When you kill the frogs they release a big bubble, which keeps you from drowning.

On a per-raid basis: I really enjoy Hashmal and Rofocale in Rabanastre, all of the Lighthouse (Famfrit the least, Mathbot the most, but all of them a lot), and the first two bosses of Orbonne.

T.G.C is cool, but I think a little too punishing.

Hashmal in particular I want to call out for actually making me look at the boss and what he's doing instead of just looking on the floor for red puddles or reading cast bars (I'm looking at you, Omega), and Rofocale is just a cool fight all around. His figure 8 thing made me actually have to stop and think about positioning in a slightly more complex way than "am I in front/behind/etc when I shouldn't be".

keirharder
Jul 22, 2017

isk posted:

IMO the fights make sense. A lot of the mechanics are new and punishing and more about what the boss looks like at the time than the traditional AoE telegraph. It is also the easiest of the 3. Ivalice's mechanics make sense, but expect to die a lot if you go in blind.

They’re great fights and I like having all these different mechanics rather than just “move out of orange circle” “giant arrow means stack” though judging by how many players struggled with the crossover duty or the final msq duty I’m guessing it’s going to be rough running the SHB duties for the first time lol.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

keirharder posted:

They’re great fights and I like having all these different mechanics rather than just “move out of orange circle” “giant arrow means stack” though judging by how many players struggled with the crossover duty or the final msq duty I’m guessing it’s going to be rough running the SHB duties for the first time lol.

My bet based on HW & SB launches is that the leveling content will generally be smooth in the early access weekend, then it'll drop off over the next week as more folks catch up.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

rabanastre sucks poo poo because i run it as mch and every boss leaves during prime wildfire time

ridorana rocks rear end because it has mathbot and mathbot rules

orbonne is fine, i like it but pubbies are terrible at it and it takes longer than it should

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

This still cracks me up every time I see it.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Oh, hey. Apple Jinx is actually from Terra Salis, the biggest FC on Ultros. (The one I'm in. :v:) Good to see that one's still getting shown around.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

My first inkling with math-bot: Oh, they cast subtract on me and I have a status on me that says "subtract" so if I stand in the field marked 3 I will subtract my health by 3. No? Okay.

I have stood in the one marked 3 but I am a melee DPS. I can go and hit the boss because my health has already been changed to the appropriate number. NOPE STAY THERE.

That's the only ways I've hosed up math-bot. That and not realizing 2 is a prime number, but I am also very stupid.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

jokes posted:

That and not realizing 2 is a prime number, but I am also very stupid.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dumb question but I genuinely don't remember:

Will 5.1 be the launch patch for ShaBr or the first major one after launch?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Dumb question but I genuinely don't remember:

Will 5.1 be the launch patch for ShaBr or the first major one after launch?

The latter. x.0 is the expansion launch.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

FactsAreUseless posted:

I mean we cleared it on the first try but that's not what I'm asking. Are the fights a confusing mess for everyone or just me?

I was really bad with the trample mechanic and Hashmal still killed me regularly for a long rear end time. I did not understand the last's boss gimmick at all the first time and only got it after looking it up, it was pretty novel though

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
5.0 should be launch. First major patch will probably be 5.0x adding 8 player raids. 5.1 should bring in the 24 player sets.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
this is what a rough night looks like

code:
Time elapsed: 111 minutes. Earned: 251463 Gil, 131 Genesis, 250 Mendacity. 

Ran 22 maps, opening 9 portals, portal rate of 40.91%. Run breakdown: altars 2, canals 2, canals 1, altars 3, altars 4, altars 2, altars 2, canals 6, hidden 1. 

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

isk posted:

The latter. x.0 is the expansion launch.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

5.0 should be launch. First major patch will probably be 5.0x adding 8 player raids. 5.1 should bring in the 24 player sets.

Cool, thanks. Just trying to figure out how long I have to get all the makai stuff I care about

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Cool, thanks. Just trying to figure out how long I have to get all the makai stuff I care about

Probably a good 7-8 months. You could finish all of the Makai stuff within about 2-3 months, depending on your level of investment.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Phone posted:

this is what a rough night looks like

code:
Time elapsed: 111 minutes. Earned: 251463 Gil, 131 Genesis, 250 Mendacity. 

Ran 22 maps, opening 9 portals, portal rate of 40.91%. Run breakdown: altars 2, canals 2, canals 1, altars 3, altars 4, altars 2, altars 2, canals 6, hidden 1. 

I see that canals 6.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

jokes posted:

I see that canals 6.

Notice how it’s not a canals 7? SEE THE HIDDEN 1!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
high on heaven has been incredibly good to me

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Finally got the regalia and that thing is rad as hell.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

rantmo posted:

Oh goddammit, of course the sale hits 48 hours after I buy it.

Same, I feel like a real dummy paying full price for it last week, I could’ve handled waiting if I’d know there’d be a sale :negative:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Math bot hosed me the first time I went because his cast said indivisible instead of prime and I will never forgive him or Koji for it.

1 is indivisible you dickhead. Don’t weasel out with “oh but it’s not a prime number” because that’s not what you asked for.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
one is totally divisible, just not into a positive interger :haw:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Math bot hosed me the first time I went because his cast said indivisible instead of prime and I will never forgive him or Koji for it.

1 is indivisible you dickhead. Don’t weasel out with “oh but it’s not a prime number” because that’s not what you asked for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Okay? The cast still doesn’t say prime and it’s still wrong. Bosses say meaningless poo poo all the time.