Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Boxboy is good! The mix-and-match customization options are great.

How is Ys 8? Does the switch port have any issues, and did it get the good localization? I assume it did but you never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its good but not on switch

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The main issue with the Switch port is its $60

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It also looks and runs like rear end on handheld mode

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The main issue with the Switch port is its $60

It's on sale for $42 right now, is why I'm asking. Looks like NIS America put a bunch of games on sale, maybe for golden week.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Hollow Knight is beautiful and interesting and tight and perfectly melancholy but holy poo poo this game does not want to be played. It's like it's afraid there's not enough gameplay in there so it drags poo poo out.

Why does a game centered around exploration punish you for straying too far from one of its miserly save points? Why are these save points 3-5 areas away from bosses? Why don't you automatically fill out the map as you go, instead having to rely on a loving map vendor? Can your character not draw? Do you expect the player to draw their own map on a napkin or something until they get to the map vendor, or do you expect them to get lost?

This gorgeous game keeps denying me little QoL improvements at every step of the journey and I know they're not evoking the glory days of exploration games because I loving played them and none of them relentlessly needled me like this. It's like going to an art museum where everyone has to carry an egg on a spoon and you have to go back to the entrance every time you drop it. Why would you do that.

Sigh *puts on headphones, boots up Hollow Knight*

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Marx Headroom posted:

Hollow Knight is beautiful and interesting and tight and perfectly melancholy but holy poo poo this game does not want to be played. It's like it's afraid there's not enough gameplay in there so it drags poo poo out.

Why does a game centered around exploration punish you for straying too far from one of its miserly save points? Why are these save points 3-5 areas away from bosses? Why don't you automatically fill out the map as you go, instead having to rely on a loving map vendor? Can your character not draw? Do you expect the player to draw their own map on a napkin or something until they get to the map vendor, or do you expect them to get lost?

This gorgeous game keeps denying me little QoL improvements at every step of the journey and I know they're not evoking the glory days of exploration games because I loving played them and none of them relentlessly needled me like this. It's like going to an art museum where everyone has to carry an egg on a spoon and you have to go back to the entrance every time you drop it. Why would you do that.

Because it owns, now git gud.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Marx Headroom posted:

:yeah:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Exploring blind till you find the map is fun

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
They expect you to get lost, start thinking "okay I need to find a bench", find something challenging, get scared, feel tension, feel like you are not totally in control, and then either find a sign pointing to a bench and feel joy or die and feel a desire for revenge. Even dying on your way to your shade and losing all your geo is not really a big deal. You'll end up with more than enough geo in the long run.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Does Dragon's Dogma change substantially once you get to the main town?

I got there and unlocked a new class or two but there are a bunch of little things piling up that make it feel more like a chore than a romp. Inventory/weight/equipment management, not being able to tell where to get the next main quest, having dozens of subquests that get permanently failed out of unexpectedly, not knowing what skills are available to a given class outside its starting stuff, map icons showing not showing up in town 'til you're right on top of the dude...

It's kinda neat but it's also kinda frustrating and I'm not sure I have time for kinda frustrating unless it gets really, significantly more neat mechanically.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hammer Bro. posted:

Does Dragon's Dogma change substantially once you get to the main town?

I got there and unlocked a new class or two but there are a bunch of little things piling up that make it feel more like a chore than a romp. Inventory/weight/equipment management, not being able to tell where to get the next main quest, having dozens of subquests that get permanently failed out of unexpectedly, not knowing what skills are available to a given class outside its starting stuff, map icons showing not showing up in town 'til you're right on top of the dude...

It's kinda neat but it's also kinda frustrating and I'm not sure I have time for kinda frustrating unless it gets really, significantly more neat mechanically.

Get the water temple quest from the city and play it. Its the first little snippet of what the dungeons in the game are like and i think its a well designed simple little area thats fun to explore and fight in.
You put up with DD's faults to get to the dlc and have the same feeling as that little water temple to the nth degree.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

wrong the faults and weird rear end idiosyncrasies are the interesting part

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fair

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Is it a good time to buy a Switch? Any truth to the rumours that an upgraded version will be coming out?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

nemesis_hub posted:

Is it a good time to buy a Switch? Any truth to the rumours that an upgraded version will be coming out?

It’s from some pretty reliable sources but who knows when. E3 is very soon so maybe wait until then and see?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s from some pretty reliable sources but who knows when. E3 is very soon so maybe wait until then and see?

Maybe wait a little after E3 too.

In 2012 the 3DS XL was rumored to be in development and was to be unveiled at E3 and Nintendo said all these rumors were false. E3 came and went with no 3DS XL....and then two weeks later Nintendo announced it on Nintendo Direct.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SeANMcBAY posted:

Didn't the investor's meeting say there was no new hardware coming anytime soon?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The only new version will be a smaller version for kids. Just buy the drat Switch already.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Marx Headroom posted:

Getting lost and exploration being tense because of is like the whole point imo

I think hose little "QoL" improvements would just serve to make the game worse.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Andrast posted:

Getting lost and exploration being tense because of is like the whole point imo

I think hose little "QoL" improvements would just serve to make the game worse.

You thought wrong

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Shammypants posted:

You thought wrong

no

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hollow Knight is like the only game of its genre Ive ever not beaten because all of the little things stacking up for me to make the game boring, not tense or rewarding, but its also extremely well established on this forum I have discordant tastes in gaming a lot of the time.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

Hollow Knight is like the only game of its genre Ive ever not beaten because all of the little things stacking up for me to make the game boring, not tense or rewarding, but its also extremely well established on this forum I have discordant tastes in gaming a lot of the time.

Some of Hollow Knight's design decision just require a certain kind of person. Like some people are going to loving hate the map poo poo while some others like me love it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Aight Steamworld Quest is cool. Just got a new party member and I'm really liking the dynamic they add to the game. Also, play on hard.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

nemesis_hub posted:

You have already missed the best time to buy the Switch, 2 years ago. I would say today is the second best time to buy the Switch.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

nemesis_hub posted:

It's a good time to buy a Switch if you want to play Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, or Smash Bros, right now! They're all exceptional games, they will last you a long time, and there is no other way to play them.

It's a good time to buy a Switch if you want a hybrid couch-portable experience. You know the Switch is portable because you're reading this thread. But I really think you need to experience it in person – being able to pause Zelda, grab the console, and chuck it into a bag/purse is amazing. I honestly wish I lived in a city with a better metro system because it would be so fun to take it everywhere.

With regards to rumors, everything is very vague. Reputable journalists have been talking it up for a while, and I would be very surprised if we didn't get some revision eventually. However, right now most people are leaning towards the idea of the New Switch being some kind of cheaper, portable-focused model to capture the 3DS market. Nobody knows what that means. Will it be equivalent to the current model? Slightly better? Slightly worse?

If I had to bet on it, I really don't think whatever is in that refresh is going to be worth waiting for. It could be a summer product, or a holiday product. It could strip out important features.

What I'm pretty sure about is that Nintendo will make sure that all Switch owners have some kind of parity for game experiences. It's possible that Nintendo announces a Switch Pro with some upgrades, but I doubt it would get any kind of exclusive titles.

So, if you want a Switch, buy a Switch. There's no time like the present.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Playing MK11 on Switch and while it’s a pretty drastic drop in visual quality from say, playing it on a 4K TV on Xbox One X, it still looks decent enough and plays pretty much the same at a smooth 60. I think it’s worth it if the Switch is your only console and/or you want to play it portably.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

This bot with the birdcage for a head has some major lore implications.

Is the bird controlling the bot? Nobody seems to make a big deal out of it, are they all controlled by animals, Robotnik style? Is that why they have complex thought patterns and individual personalities despite being powered by gears and pistons? Do the animals get put in a bot from birth and grow up believing that it's their actual body?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I redesigned my entire room and it's now feasible for me to get ethernet to my dock, but I've heard there's a lot of fuckery going on with it, like how you should use the USB 3.0 port even though the 3.0 isn't enabled? And some ethernet adapters heat up your Switch constantly while it's in rest mode? Did they ever fix that or what is happening.

Somebody treat me like the mental five-year-old I am and just tell me what model of adapter sucks the least and if there's any tricks I need to know.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU3XQ71RNyc

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Would love if the first two Ultimate Alliance would come to the Switch but those are owned by Activision. And I honestly can't think of anything they put on the system.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Diablo 3

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I wonder if Activision ever considered any kind of stripped-down version of Call of Duty's BR mode for the Switch. Fortnite shows there's an appetite for it on the system, even if the mainline COD stuff isn't as big of a draw.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Hey, I'm gonna drop my friend code here for Dragon's Dogma shenanigans. I also have Dawn of Survivors. Add me for whatev

5655-6695-7975

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Marx Headroom posted:

I agree with this 100%. It’s why I put the game down once and haven’t played since. It’s a fantastic game but like 20% of the mechanics just annoy me and don’t pay off in any satisfying way. Frustrating but oh well there are plenty of other games out there.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I might be just about an hour in, and loving the hell out of SteamWorld Quest already. Though Heist spoiled me for choice of ridiculous hats!

(My favorite was always the cat, though the strainer made a bold statement as well.)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The best way to enjoy Hollow Knight is to play handheld while something else is on TV.

I played it to a few seasons of Community and it was a good chill time.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

xedo posted:

It's on sale for $42 right now, is why I'm asking. Looks like NIS America put a bunch of games on sale, maybe for golden week.

42 is still too much imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

In fact it can just be Metroid Prime 1 it doesn't even need to be the trilogy

I'd pay $50 for just the first Metroid Prime; they can hold the sequels.