Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

MrBling posted:

Out of curiosity, the people complaining about the audio. Have you watched the nice quality HD versions on the WWE Network? Because everything sounds fine there.

THat's where I watched it. It just sounds quieter than the raws of the same time, even though WCW was hotter as a show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Dango Bango posted:

Thanks to Brian and Vinny I'm watching this spring break 2000 episode of Nitro and there is so much hilarious stuff in this episode.

its arguably one of the last best shows that wcw puts on

the coming months are when the talent cuts become really noticeable, all the stability that was finally starting to come together post Russo is cast aside, Russo goes further off the rails, and you watch them slowly die

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's pretty obvious from the Spring Break show but Spring Stampede was originally going to be Sid vs Hogan. Just imagine.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

It's pretty obvious from the Spring Break show but Spring Stampede was originally going to be Sid vs Hogan. Just imagine.

I would prefer Sid vs Higan with a decent month or two build rather than making GBS threads out another world title tournament over a week.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Hogan faced off against an even more powerful opponent at SS2000, brother

Big Dave posted:

Hogan then went after Bischoff. Russo told Bischoff he had a plan. Just before Hogan was going to throttle him, Russo came out with the police who all pulled guns on Hogan, and he backed off. Hogan sold the guns.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That could have been a real shoot

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Edge & Christian posted:

Russo brought... THE MAN.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/TheKevinEck/status/1112049599353708545

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Edge & Christian posted:

If Hulk Hogan dropped the leg on them and said "gently caress the police, brother!", he wouldn't have been racist. :(

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beIKeOHtVNg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ennj1LGz02c

I remember thinking this was one of the funnier stories in Death of WCW but it's even better than the book described.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I was curious so I checked Google maps.

The top is the hotel where The Wall, Brother was standing. I'm 90% sure the bottom building is the one behind the ring.

There's nothing else back there. Granted, I can't find maps for the year 2000 here.

I'm guessing they had cameras on top of the hotel with the WCW Nitro signs on it for some of the zoom shots of Wall; the in ring camera doesn't zoom in at all.

Perspectives are weird.

I can't find info on when the Sapphire Condominiums were built but I'm guessing sometime after this show. I can't find a shot looking that direction though; might have been intentional if the building was already there and didn't agree to be shown on TV?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Broke: Sapphire Condominiums

Woke: The Condominiums in Waco

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I can't find info on when the Sapphire Condominiums were built but I'm guessing sometime after this show. I can't find a shot looking that direction though; might have been intentional if the building was already there and didn't agree to be shown on TV?

Built in 2006

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/310A-Padre-Blvd-Apt-3102_South-Padre-Island_TX_78597_M81085-98726

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Neat. I checked Zillow but it said 1985 and I knew that wasn't right.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
:wtc: I totally forgot Silver King was a thing.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

BGrifter posted:

:wtc: I totally forgot Silver King was a thing.

Silver King doesn't look like a Silver King. I remember reading recaps and in my head he was a skinny little lad with a silver mask, not a big lad.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

He never did get upgraded to Golden King even though I'm sure he won 12 more matches at some point.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Doc M posted:

He never did get upgraded to Golden King even though I'm sure he won 12 more matches at some point.

He sorta did! After he was in Nacho Libre, he started wearing the Ramses mask for a while, and it was gold.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Von Linus posted:

Silver King doesn't look like a Silver King. I remember reading recaps and in my head he was a skinny little lad with a silver mask, not a big lad.

Not sure why my brain retained this, but you’re thinking of Super Calo.

Anyway, my YouTube algorithm served up a compilation of the finishes of every WCW World Title change from 1991 on, and starting in like 1993 it’s just constant run-in finishes or the title getting vacated until the company finally dies. If 15% of the title changes were clean from that point, I’d be surprised it’s that high. This company was always doomed.

Lead Pipe Cinch fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 27, 2019

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Anyway, my YouTube algorithm served up a compilation of the finishes of every WCW World Title change from 1991 on, and starting in like 1993 it’s just constant run-in finishes or the title getting vacated. If 15% of the title changes were clean from that point, I’d be surprised it’s that high. This company was always doomed.

The company was so bad in 1993 that during the fall Smoky Mountain Wrestling out drew it.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Was WWF sending guys down there to Memphis in 1993?

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

BubbaGrace posted:

Was WWF sending guys down there to Memphis in 1993?

WWF had a talent exchange with USWA from 92 till the Monday Night Wars started at least.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I just finished the Guy Evans Nitro book, which was real good but not like mindblowing.

quote:

In terms of a production element, the use of suspended ‘blood’ was as atypical as possible - notwithstanding an occurrence earlier in the night. “We were getting ready for the show,” remembers Production VP David Crockett, “and Eric comes up to me. We were opening up the Philips Arena [that night]. He said, ‘David, I’ve got something for you to do’.

“He has this bag with him - this plastic bag…quart size or maybe a little bit bigger. He said, ‘this is [a former WCW referee]. He passed away from cancer, his wife is here, and his dying wish was to be part of Monday Nitro [again].

“I said, you are kidding me, aren’t you?’

“He said, ‘no - figure out a way’.

“So I went to my pyro technician. We had these flame projectors and these ‘mortar shells’…these things that go off with big explosions. I said, ‘what do you think about this?’

“He poured a little bit in each one.

“I just sort of walked towards the back. I wasn’t gonna stand out there for the open!

“But…we did it.”

But it did blow my dumbass mind when I got this anecdote (crazy enough) mixed up with the fake blood landing on people a couple days after I read it.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

syzpid posted:

WWF had a talent exchange with USWA from 92 till the Monday Night Wars started at least.
Thats right it was USWA. I mixed up Lawlers thing and Cornettes thing. My bad,

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

My favorite thing about Super Calo is the pronunciation change. For weeks Mike Tenay and everyone else referred to him as Super "Callow", then abruptly changed to "Super Ca-Low" with more emphasis on the Low. Tenay even admitted on air they'd been mispronouncing it for weeks.

I always wondered if someone pointed out that "callow" is kind of insulting.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

If you are a luchadore and Tenay is mispronouncing your name that's a bad sign.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BubbaGrace posted:

If you are a luchadore and Tenay is mispronouncing your name that's a bad sign.

OTOH he also looked at the song title "Voodoo Chile" and pronounced it like you would pronounce the country Chile's name so maybe syntax and pronunciation aren't his strong suit

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Fat Lowtax posted:

I just finished the Guy Evans Nitro book, which was real good but not like mindblowing.

But it did blow my dumbass mind when I got this anecdote (crazy enough) mixed up with the fake blood landing on people a couple days after I read it.

Eric Bischoff walking up to a pyro tech with like a quarter-bag of Brian Hildebrand for him to sneak into the pyro is a loving hell of an image

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

OTOH he also looked at the song title "Voodoo Chile" and pronounced it like you would pronounce the country Chile's name so maybe syntax and pronunciation aren't his strong suit

The song is Voodoo Child Slight Return.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
To be fair, that mistake gets made a lot (and I think he's right, I believe Tenay did call it Voodoo Chile once) because Hendrix had a song called Voodoo Chile as well. Though it's a very different song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp9m2h_O9LY

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

BGrifter posted:

My favorite thing about Super Calo is the pronunciation change. For weeks Mike Tenay and everyone else referred to him as Super "Callow", then abruptly changed to "Super Ca-Low" with more emphasis on the Low. Tenay even admitted on air they'd been mispronouncing it for weeks.

I always wondered if someone pointed out that "callow" is kind of insulting.

I’m not Super Galo, I’m Super CALO. C-a-l-l-o!

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
WWE Network uploaded a couple more months of 2000 WCW Thunder episodes

The highlight is The New York Rules battle royal episode
https://twitter.com/WWE_Network_Bot/status/1130463605751713792

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
They finally added the David arquette thunder. I’m gonna look for my fat teenage self in the crowd.

This is soooo bad and I’m at just before the main event. The only redeemable parts of this are Heenan on commentary and Scott Steiner trashing hogan on commentary. He mentions hulks bald spot.

So I’m gonna guess top of the second hour is sting vs the wall in the first ever table match on thunder. It lasted 5 minutes.

The first broken table of the show was the announce table in the opening segment and billy Kidman put Horace hogan through one 2 segments before the table match.

3 women uppercut guys in the dick. Ric flair gave an insane rambling promo that was only ruined by having Shane Douglas, Russo and buff responding to parts of it.

Scott Steiner yelled “trash, all I see is white trash” to the camera before he got on commentary.

When sunny cut a promo before a god awful match one of the guys made a very obvious sniff on commentary after she started talking.

And then after arquette won we all threw trash in the ring and then at him as him and ddp walked through the crowd. Not me, I was on the other side of the arena.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I remember WCW crowds being big on throwing trash. It's one of those things that shouldn't really happen, but I admit I kinda get it, every part of that show sounds horrendous and then the main event is the most embarrassing moment in the company's history.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

rujasu posted:

I remember WCW crowds being big on throwing trash. It's one of those things that shouldn't really happen, but I admit I kinda get it, every part of that show sounds horrendous and then the main event is the most embarrassing moment in the company's history.

Pretty sure WCW openly encouraged it, too.

Guess they thought it made things look heated.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I don't even remember Sunny in WCW, but then again, Sandman in WCW was a fever dream.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
The booking of that show encouraged it plenty. Even if ddp or jj walked out with the title it was a terrible show.

There wasn’t a single clean win except for sting putting the wall brother through a table in 5 minutes.

It’s fun seeing the walking through the hallway and outside segments. That lovely hockey arena looks the exact same and I hope they never change it.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

coconono posted:

I don't even remember Sunny in WCW, but then again, Sandman in WCW was a fever dream.

I doubt she remembers her time in WCW too, so don't worry.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

coconono posted:

I think that she and Chris were there for a month tops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
She was pilled out of her mind as usual, Candido hurt his wrist immediately upon coming and messed up the Triple Threat reunion, Bischoff said gently caress it and cut bait quickly.