Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

metasynthetic posted:

Not sure where I should put my Umbral Forma. My first thoughts were Nidus or Frost, both of which are great, but I don't actually play them all that often.

Are there any frames where a maxed Umbral Intensify (or the other two I guess) enables something that's qualitatively different without it? As opposed to just more big numbers faster.

honestly, unless you're using multiple umbral mods, not really any point. I think Chroma is the traditional answer, but Saryn I think is also a strong option.

And the mods are straight boosts on simple stats, so there isn't really any umbral build that transcends "number bigger."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The big problem with a lot of the tankframes is being in a Corpus environment and getting your iron skin / halo / scarab armour suddenly negated.

Chroma's Vex Armor stays on. :smuggo:

Though in true DE spirit it also sometimes (I'd say 25% of the time) silences your Warframe until Vex runs out, then finally allowing ability casts again (Spoiler mode is blocked, too).

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

metasynthetic posted:

Not sure where I should put my Umbral Forma. My first thoughts were Nidus or Frost, both of which are great, but I don't actually play them all that often.

Are there any frames where a maxed Umbral Intensify (or the other two I guess) enables something that's qualitatively different without it? As opposed to just more big numbers faster.

Arca Plasmor, just glue it to your hands
Short version: Valkyr Prime, Chroma Prime, Nidus, Saryn Prime and Nezha are probably the most popular picks, but go with any frame you love really, who cares.

Long version: I wouldn't put an umbral forma in any frame below the green tier except Nezha, because at that point you're sacrificing a warframe slot for Umbral Fiber just to buff your other two umbrals when you could like, just put another strength mod in or something.

Nezha is the exception because Umbral mods kind of double dip for Nezha's best mechanic: Armor and PS both scale Warding Halo, and Warding Halo + Safeguard turns any pub mission (especially arbitrations where you have a suicidal NPC to babysit) into a relaxing breeze as you simply refuse to let your idiot pals die.

I would say pick any frame:
1.) Green tier (or Nezha) or higher
2.) Who you love a lot
3.) Who has mod capacity to play with
4.) Who isn't going to be primed soon

So for me, my favorite frame is Khora but I'm not going to umbral forma her because she has no real need for power strength. Hildryn is my second favorite but she doesn't need vitality. I love Atlas but he's getting primed next so he can wait. I'm probably going to put mine in Nidus, Nezha or Garuda. But really who cares. If you want an Umbral Nyx because that will make your Nyx the specialest girl in Warframe do it. This game is piss easy and umbral mods aren't worth the amount of thought we put into them

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 26, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Tulip posted:

honestly, unless you're using multiple umbral mods, not really any point. I think Chroma is the traditional answer, but Saryn I think is also a strong option.

And the mods are straight boosts on simple stats, so there isn't really any umbral build that transcends "number bigger."

I would actually not use it on Saryn. She has high armor, but the best part of her ability strength scaling (the status chance on her spores) stops improving at 200%, after that you're just improving her 3 and 4 and increasing the ramp-up speed a little.

I think you're better off using precisely-leveled corrupted mods to hit the 200% breakpoint and then max out her range, and not worry too much about making her super-tanky because she kind of has the whole "survivability by making everything else dead" thing going on anyways.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 26, 2019

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Save it for Wukong Prime

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?

And Tyler Too! posted:

Save it for Wukong Prime

did you mean super sayian prime?

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I’m saving it for Atlas prime. Gonna punch so many mans!

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Soothing Vapors posted:

So for me, my favorite frame is Khora but I'm not going to umbral forma her because she has no real need for power strength.

She doesn't need much power strength, but she does need range, and Umbral Mods nicely balance out Overextended:

She's really tanky, and the healing from Hunter Recovery will keep you alive for a long time.

I could make something almost as good without Umbral or Corrupted mods, but then I wouldn't be able to fit Firewalker, which is a big QoL improvement.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Fruity20 posted:

(in other news, since i'm an mr 10 what weapons can I get?)

Ms. 10's tend to get more stuff, imho.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Fair warning, Arca Plasmor is a gateway gun, you'll always be chasing that high again after building it

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Samuringa posted:

Fair warning, Arca Plasmor is a gateway gun, you'll always be chasing that high again after building it

Until you build yourself a catchmoon, the fentanyl of sidearms.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
poo poo, I haven't logged for days and turns out this is my 100th reward. If I don't care for the melee, which one is better?

edit: I picked the Zenith because penetrating walls sounds good.

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 27, 2019

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
congratulations, you picked correctly

Azima is extremely not cool

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Zennistar was the correct choice, condolences

McKilligan posted:

catchmoon, the fentanyl of sidearms.

lol

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
I picked Zenistar because I'm in a constant quest to find a melee weapon that I enjoy and doesn't feel like complete rear end for me to use. 20odd days later, I wish I picked the turret pistol.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Zenistar's all about its weird gas disc

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I do blast zenistar so that it just locks down an entire hallway while I do other poo poo.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Opticor Vandal is pretty rad, got a 130K crit on something in an Arby.

Got a super bad Tigris Riven, sub 100% +damage or Multishot and +faction damage, I think Grineer.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh neat, with a few rerolls and you can really have a super murderous sancti or prime tigris

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think the tigris still has roughly a rank 1 disposition which means that rivens for it are going to be dogshit unless it's an absolutely perfect set of stats and even then it might still be outclassed by a normal mod

seriously, riven dispositions that low are abysmal. the tigris family is still good as gently caress so it's not like they need them, but, yeah. i genuinely just rec offloading the thing onto someone willing to roll it into something mediocre.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Do we know if Corrosive Projection will be coming back to Nightwave offerings or should I just spend plat on it?

edit: Any time reasonably soon, I mean

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 27, 2019

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Ask in clan chat. Don't spend plat on it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Do we know if Corrosive Projection will be coming back to Nightwave offerings or should I just spend plat on it?

edit: Any time reasonably soon, I mean

They cycle through the auras that are available each week, it'll probably come around again in two days or, if not, a week later.

But yeah, lots of goons stockpiled corpros back when it was periodically available from alerts, so you can probably get one for free.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Thanks goons
Now I just have to forma my frame since it's out of capacity

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

Huh so I am. This also brings to mind the question why the everloving gently caress does the Penta of all weapons have 3 augment mods.

Watch them add another penta augment in the next nightwave

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Three incompatible mods to boot. Otherwise you could shoot a grenade that explodes into napalm, sticks to your enemies and sucks them all in.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Playing around with Nezha and he's pretty sweet. You people recommending Maglev are insane though.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

You get three config slots per frame, why not have one of Nezha's equipped with all of the +slide -friction and move speed mods?

He's already slidey boy prime, it's a 'strength' that can be played to.

Serdain
Aug 13, 2007
dicksdicksdicks

Ive just launched the game again for the first time in a while and everything is so overwhelming.

Back in the day we used to just do the infinite point defence missions, but now there's all this awful freeroam stuff and fishing and mining and I cant figure out how to actually just play the game.

Where the hell do I start these days?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

FunkyFjord posted:

You get three config slots per frame, why not have one of Nezha's equipped with all of the +slide -friction and move speed mods?

This is what I do. One config slot just for a little duration and a lot of gofast. I mostly use it to farm relics by speedrunning void capture missions. I know I'm going too slow if I have to recast Fire Walker before hitting extraction.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Serdain posted:

Ive just launched the game again for the first time in a while and everything is so overwhelming.

Back in the day we used to just do the infinite point defence missions, but now there's all this awful freeroam stuff and fishing and mining and I cant figure out how to actually just play the game.

When did you stop anyway?

Serdain
Aug 13, 2007
dicksdicksdicks

Played a lot up before I discovered there was a child in my suit, came back and discovered the child but had no way to earn experience that I could tell and stopped. I'm not sure where that is on the timeline.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

So that's pre-War Within I think, so roughly 2-3 years ago.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Serdain posted:

do relics, those are your classic missions

open world is when you run out of frames and weapons to level (arguably the venus secondaries are the best in the game and you should beeline those), also Earth Tier 5 bounties give you lenses to stick into things so your inner child levels up

Night Wave is a weekly set of challenges that gives you stuff, like a syndicate

edit: the REAL reason to come back is the new frames and fashion obv

Goa Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Apr 27, 2019

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Phigs posted:

Playing around with Nezha and he's pretty sweet. You people recommending Maglev are insane though.

Yeah, I just put like a single Maglev on him and it turned the Crouch button into the Sail an Entire Room Past Where You Were Trying to Go button. All it needed was cartoon foley. Probably good for open world navigation though, I should consider that.

Serdain posted:

Played a lot up before I discovered there was a child in my suit, came back and discovered the child but had no way to earn experience that I could tell and stopped. I'm not sure where that is on the timeline.

Clear blue nodes on the star map, unlock planets you haven't been to. The next quest you'll get from advancing the star map that isn't just "clear this quest to unlock a warframe" is called The War Within, and it's somewhere around Pluto.

You get experience by ranking equipment up, so buy the blueprints for a bunch of random weapons from the Market, so that when a thing hits rank 30 you swap it out. Once you start to run out of stuff to build from the Market, start buying blueprints from the clan dojo. Just constantly cycle trash in and out of your weapon inventory, sell them when they're done, keep a few that feel useful or fun.

Void fissure missions are good fodder for ranking your equipment up, in a pub squad or clan squad. If you don't have relics stocked up to crack, you can still do them anyway. A few mission types will give you relics anyway, like excavations and spy missions.

There's a new console to the left of navigation on the ship called Nightwave. It's a series of bonus objectives that get you nightwave points, one per day and a set per week. Don't worry too much about it, but if you see an objective that looks easy or fun to do, get the points and the lady on the radio will send you rewards in the mail every so often, with one of the rewards being Nightwave Fun Bux to spend on nitain extract, orokin reactors, orokin catalysts, and a bunch of other stuff that's not nearly as important.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 27, 2019

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm pretty sure the elemental parkour mods also boost slide, because I tried it on the plains and basically you just hold slide to bypass the entire level. You don't need a k-drive any more.

E: they don't, but with maxed Maglev, Cunning Drift, Streamlined Form and a few sprint speed mods, you basically hit slide and suddenly you're on the other side of the plains.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Apr 27, 2019

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Also remember Nezha's passive is sliding further and faster as it is.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Roll picks up the momentum from a slide and goes further. The combo is stupidly fun with Nezha's slide.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I can't stop running 2x Arcane Consequence on everything because it makes zooming around so much fun.

I am also a Nezha addict because going uncontrollably fast is life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serdain
Aug 13, 2007
dicksdicksdicks

I Am Just a Box posted:

Yeah, I just put like a single Maglev on him and it turned the Crouch button into the Sail an Entire Room Past Where You Were Trying to Go button. All it needed was cartoon foley. Probably good for open world navigation though, I should consider that.

Clear blue nodes on the star map, unlock planets you haven't been to. The next quest you'll get from advancing the star map that isn't just "clear this quest to unlock a warframe" is called The War Within, and it's somewhere around Pluto.

You get experience by ranking equipment up, so buy the blueprints for a bunch of random weapons from the Market, so that when a thing hits rank 30 you swap it out. Once you start to run out of stuff to build from the Market, start buying blueprints from the clan dojo. Just constantly cycle trash in and out of your weapon inventory, sell them when they're done, keep a few that feel useful or fun.

Void fissure missions are good fodder for ranking your equipment up, in a pub squad or clan squad. If you don't have relics stocked up to crack, you can still do them anyway. A few mission types will give you relics anyway, like excavations and spy missions.

There's a new console to the left of navigation on the ship called Nightwave. It's a series of bonus objectives that get you nightwave points, one per day and a set per week. Don't worry too much about it, but if you see an objective that looks easy or fun to do, get the points and the lady on the radio will send you rewards in the mail every so often, with one of the rewards being Nightwave Fun Bux to spend on nitain extract, orokin reactors, orokin catalysts, and a bunch of other stuff that's not nearly as important.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

do relics, those are your classic missions

open world is when you run out of frames and weapons to level (arguably the venus secondaries are the best in the game and you should beeline those), also Earth Tier 5 bounties give you lenses to stick into things so your inner child levels up

Night Wave is a weekly set of challenges that gives you stuff, like a syndicate

edit: the REAL reason to come back is the new frames and fashion obv

Thanks for your advice! Me and my friend hit up Venus to start the grind for the Secondary, discovered K-Drives and proceeded to do some sick stunts.

Are there any traps when building my first secondary? Anything to avoid?