Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Kassad posted:

Isn't "fresh young meat" just the slang for a hot guy

It’s slang for young person without much life experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

https://nextshark.com/japanese-male-geisha-making-370000-month/

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

WTF...

quote:

He also pays careful attention to his looks, hitting the gym for hours on a daily basis and maintaining his facial features via cosmetic surgery every month.

Roland has spent 10 million yen (about $88,000) on cosmetic procedures, such as double eyelid surgery, nasal reshaping and Botox injections.

He then spends 200,00 yen (about $1,800) a month on touch-ups, Oddity Central noted.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

failed dejaw operation

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

*Suddenly, a massive increase in yaoi content*

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

There's an aging painting of that dude painted by some opium addict up in someone's attic.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Bloodnose posted:

But there is and you've been shown officially published Chinese government documents discussing it. It's much farther along in implementation than JetBlue's facial recognition technology.

there is no score, at most there is a blacklist for non-payers of debt (with hardship exemptions). you know this as well as i do so stop being obtuse.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

R. Guyovich posted:

there is no score, at most there is a blacklist for non-payers of debt (with hardship exemptions). you know this as well as i do so stop being obtuse.

Do written apologies count as debt?

https://www.hrw.org/news/2017/12/12/chinas-chilling-social-credit-blacklist

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 29, 2019

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I was over in Shanghai the last few days for work and what really struck me about it was how despite it being an insanely huge city there's actually really not all that much there. Outside of the old colonial areas it seemed a metropolis of soulless shopping malls, apartment blocks, and corporate towers. Impressive for sure, but not sure what I'd find to do there after a few days. Maybe I was just looking in the wrong places ofc.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

the one guy quoted here is the sole source for most of these articles and his story changes every time. in any case nothing in there contradicts what i've said. try harder!

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

R. Guyovich posted:

the one guy quoted here is the sole source for most of these articles and his story changes every time. in any case nothing in there contradicts what i've said. try harder!

So I guess if you just ignore the cases where you're wrong, then you're right! Not exactly setting the bar very high for "try harder" if the best you can do is just call the guy a liar.

https://www.businessinsider.com/china-social-credit-system-things-you-can-do-wrong-and-punishments-2018-4

Look at all those different ways to get blacklisted for not paying back debts that don't at all look like being blacklisted for not paying back debts. I had no idea this guy was in fact all of the seemingly different people penalized for all of those seemingly different reasons. I guess many of them were also fined for whatever they did, so I guess that makes it about debt and ok! Not that you're arguing in good faith anyways, but drat you should try to put in some effort while telling the other posters what they "know".

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 30, 2019

BaiSha
Jul 9, 2012
For what it's worth, I was on a high speed train last week (Dalian-Shenyang) and the announcement after boarding warned that smoking on the train would reduce your social credit score and could disqualify you from buying train tickets. If social credit (that was the exact phrasing in the English translation of the announcement) is being mentioned on train announcements as a way to punishment for smoking I think it's pretty fair to say that the program is further along than these

R.Guyovich posted:

other way around, genius. the people on the blacklist are people who haven't paid debts or the courts. there is no unified "social credit score." which i've said repeatedly here.

R.Guyovich posted:

would suggest.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

BaiSha posted:

For what it's worth, I was on a high speed train last week (Dalian-Shenyang) and the announcement after boarding warned that smoking on the train would reduce your social credit score and could disqualify you from buying train tickets. If social credit (that was the exact phrasing in the English translation of the announcement) is being mentioned on train announcements as a way to punishment for smoking I think it's pretty fair to say that the program is further along than these

For what it's worth, I was on a high speed train last month (Lanzhou - Beijing) and there was no announcement, your anecdata is probably just as good as mine.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Warbadger posted:

So I guess if you just ignore the cases where you're wrong, then you're right! Not exactly setting the bar very high for "try harder" if the best you can do is just call the guy a liar.

https://www.businessinsider.com/china-social-credit-system-things-you-can-do-wrong-and-punishments-2018-4

Look at all those different ways to get blacklisted for not paying back debts that don't at all look like being blacklisted for not paying back debts. I had no idea this guy was in fact all of the seemingly different people penalized for all of those seemingly different reasons. I guess many of them were also fined for whatever they did, so I guess that makes it about debt and ok! Not that you're arguing in good faith anyways, but drat you should try to put in some effort while telling the other posters what they "know".

yeah so this is the other thing those media outlets do, putting together a bunch of local and private permutations and pretending it's a unified system. congratulations on being stupid enough to believe that i guess!

China's Orwellian Social Credit Score Isn't Real

What Foreign Media Misses in China's 'Social Credit'

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

R. Guyovich posted:

yeah so this is the other thing those media outlets do, putting together a bunch of local and private permutations and pretending it's a unified system. congratulations on being stupid enough to believe that i guess!

Those articles don’t say the social credit system is non-existent, but rather there’s no general number like a credit score assigned. The system of tracking and blacklists is supported by both your sources. They merely disclaim there isn’t a number attached to it.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 23, 2021

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

R. Guyovich posted:

You should try reading the articles you link. Not that we're discussing them, but local government permutations of the system would also, presumably, count with regards to this discussion. If a private system were able to legally blacklist people for travel and such that would also, presumably, count.

Anyways, the Chinese government does not make a secret of at least some of the infractions they penalize people for in the social credit system (as would be evident if you read the sources for the last article I linked) so you should probably calm down and stop calling other people stupid. It is not restricted to those who fail to pay debts. Your argument may have worked a few years ago, but it's a pretty dated and dumb argument to hear in the present.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 30, 2019

Giganticon
Mar 10, 2010

Pillbug
Happens in the USA as well:

https://www.oregonlive.com/commutin...omens-hair.html

Is this a miscarriage of justice and an abuse of his civil rights?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Just wait until you land in Chicago’s gang database - good luck getting off of it. It’s not particularly convincing that suspending someone’s right to travel as a result of a court judgement is Orwellian in any manner, especially since every country does it in some form of fashion.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Warbadger posted:

You should try reading the articles you link. Not that we're discussing them, but local government permutations of the system would also, presumably, count with regards to this discussion. If a private system were able to legally blacklist people for travel and such that would also, presumably, count.

Anyways, the Chinese government does not make a secret of at least some of the infractions they penalize people for in the social credit system (as would be evident if you read the sources for the last article I linked) so you should probably calm down and stop calling other people stupid. It is not restricted to those who fail to pay debts. Your argument may have worked a few years ago, but it's a pretty dated and dumb argument to hear in the present.

no, they wouldn't. the whole narrative is about a centralized system that, again, doesn't exist. you are still stupid, congratulations!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Those articles don’t say the social credit system is non-existent, but rather there’s no general number like a credit score assigned. The system of tracking and blacklists is supported by both your sources. They merely disclaim there isn’t a number attached to it.

and if you bothered to read previous posts you'd see me say there was a blacklist. when i say the social credit system doesn't exist, i'm saying the black mirror-esque all-encompassing system written about in western media reports doesn't exist. there are rules and restrictions but it's nowhere near as pervasive as what's being pushed in the mainstream press.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Just wait until you land in Chicago’s gang database - good luck getting off of it. It’s not particularly convincing that suspending someone’s right to travel as a result of a court judgement is Orwellian in any manner, especially since every country does it in some form of fashion.

Every country can do something and it can still be bad. Using Chicago as an example of good governance is like... I don't even know how to respond to that. Authoritarianism is bad even if it happens in a big famous city.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bloodnose posted:

Using Chicago as an example of good governance is like... I don't even know how to respond to that. Authoritarianism is bad even if it happens in a big famous city.

Maybe state department hatchetmen should ease off the throwing rocks in glass houses then? The federal government should maybe consider sanctioning Chicago for their lawless police department?

Chicago is run at every level by democrats, most of them now informed by serious people™ with fancy university of chicago degrees. How could liberals want anything more than that?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 1, 2019

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Maybe... work with me here... just maybe, America also being bad doesn't automatically make China good by default.

:thunk:

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!
Chicago Megathread - Thousands in Cicero gather to celebrate Casmir Pulaski Day.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Known Lecher posted:

Maybe... work with me here... just maybe, America also being bad doesn't automatically make China good by default.

Maybe...work with me here... Americans should mind their own business and do something about their own warmongering, blood soaked empire before pointing the finger at perfidious chinese people who are implementing the authoritarian policy of *checks notes* a no fly list

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Known Lecher posted:

If Rguy says that he would loose train access.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Maybe.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Any comparison between China and Chicago is deeply insulting to China unless it’s about music

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

drilldo squirt posted:

If Rguy says that he would loose train access.

no i wouldn't. this is stupid. you are stupid.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

this really is just a wordier gbs thread, huh

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

The federal government should maybe consider sanctioning Chicago for their lawless police department?

100% yes I completely agree but that's not at all what this thread is about. Please stay on topic.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

R. Guyovich posted:

You're being incredibly defensive and it's funny to me.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

perfidious chinese people who are implementing the authoritarian policy of *checks notes* a no fly list

We've both got concentration camps too don't forget about those.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

R. Guyovich posted:

I would describe it more as the revisionist version of the c-spam thread.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

R. Guyovich posted:

when i say the social credit system doesn't exist, i'm saying the black mirror-esque all-encompassing system written about in western media reports doesn't exist. there are rules and restrictions but it's nowhere near as pervasive as what's being pushed in the mainstream press.

So basically what you're saying is that the social credit system does in fact exist, but because it isn't a real life sci-fi story it's ok

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Darkest Auer posted:

So basically what you're saying is that the social credit system does in fact exist, but because it isn't a real life sci-fi story it's ok

this would be a very effective dismissal if the western press didn't literally characterize it as a real life sci-fi story. in fact i encourage you to search "social credit black mirror."

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

i am harry posted:

We've both got concentration camps too don't forget about those.

I'm just a lurker in this China thread and most D&D threads in general but I'm legit curious as to how many times the words "perfidious" and "white liberal" show up in Pevan Stan posts. I mean it's a good gimmick and I enjoy it, but I'd just like an overall number to get a larger sense of how much goes into the kayfabe.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dr.Radical posted:

I'm just a lurker in this China thread and most D&D threads in general but I'm legit curious as to how many times the words "perfidious" and "white liberal" show up in Pevan Stan posts. I mean it's a good gimmick and I enjoy it, but I'd just like an overall number to get a larger sense of how much goes into the kayfabe.

He's not being "ironic" when he declares genociding Muslims is good and southeast Asians are jungle savages compared to the Han, fyi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 23, 2021