Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

MourningView posted:

Berman and prime time always sucked, stay woke

there was a kid i played ice hockey with/against that would loudly yell WHAAAP every time he deked someone, which was incredibly funny and cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The ten seconds of dead air while he silently read off a sheet of paper must have been incredible radio.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

The ten seconds of dead air while he silently read off a sheet of paper must have been incredible radio.
Would be better if it was filled with the Curb Your Enthusiasm music.

And yes n-thing that theme music is mostly boring and forgettable now. Although what was inexplicable back in the day was the absolutely hype as gently caress theme music that local news stations would put out sometimes.

I mean...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUoFlFySijM

HEY MILWAUKEE Y'ALL MOTHERFUCKERS READY FOR SOME NEWS

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 24, 2019

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

And yes n-thing that theme music is mostly boring and forgettable now. Although what was inexplicable back in the day was the absolutely hype as gently caress theme music that local news stations would put out sometimes.

I mean...

lol 5:52 "1986 Browns Highlights"

That was used for NFL Films.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I’ve never ended my ultimate hatred for a Berman since he dissed Randy Moss after he fake mooned the packer fans. He said in the highlight, “sure, you won but cmon!”

As if Berman was in a position of moral authority about a silly joke. I can’t wait til he dies!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Crazy Ted posted:

I mean...

Channel 6 is our local Fox affiliate.

Tangential to this for the whole broadcasting thing: Go to NYC and LA, and the Big Three (ABC, CBS, and NBC) all have the same channels. Chicago has ABC and CBS the same, but... NBC is not. WTMJ was originally on channel 3. A station across the Michigan also had 3, but because they had it first, WTMJ switched to 4. When NBC decided to set up in Chicago, they had to go to 5 because WTMJ already had 4 and seniority.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I gotta say that was not where i expected Francessa to land when I clicked on that clip. Hilarious as it was for him how he got there.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Primetime really was nice because ...at the time? There really wasn't a highlights show one could watch "the same day" for events. Same with "Sportscenter" when it first started along with other programming like that ("Baseball Tonight", NBA 2 NIGHT, NHL 2 NIGHT, and my personal favorite "RPM 2 Night)

I think there's nostalgia as a whole for the former pre-internet cable days a whole. I certainly to an extent have it because the options on my basic cable, sports or otherwise are rather slim pickings.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

I think there's nostalgia as a whole for the former pre-internet cable days a whole. I certainly to an extent have it because the options on my basic cable, sports or otherwise are rather slim pickings.

It is strange how far we've come. As a kid I'd get up early before school and watch the SportsCenter rerun from the night before. It was the only way to get highlights from other teams. I used to love how those in-game cut-ins where they'd send you to James Brown in the studio to show you a big play from another NFL game. You had to watch the halftime show to know what was going on in the league.

Now something big happens and you can find the clip in seconds on Twitter. I would never want to go back but it was kind of cool how much stuff like an All-Star game mattered because it was one of the few chances you had to see a star player.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I remember back in the 90’s when the Indians were really good and we’d go on vacation and the only way to find out the score was we would watch Headline News and they would have that sports break like every half hour or so. And this is before ESPN’s ticker was always at the bottom of the screen. It used to pop up at like 28 and 58 past the hour with that little audio cue.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

This was art when it aired. Still arguably is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ83nnODDjs

Dallas won the late game, so none of this mattered in the end.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mahoning posted:

I remember back in the 90’s when the Indians were really good and we’d go on vacation and the only way to find out the score was we would watch Headline News and they would have that sports break like every half hour or so. And this is before ESPN’s ticker was always at the bottom of the screen. It used to pop up at like 28 and 58 past the hour with that little audio cue.

oh my god I forgot that ticker was a popup for so long, drat does that take me back

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
95 cents per minute
Call 1-900-976
ESPN

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Round 1 of the NHL playoffs was the most-watched in a long time

NBC posted:

On the strength of 10 overtime games, three Game 7s and two improbable sweeps, NBC Sports’ presentation of the 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs across the networks of NBCUniversal delivered the most-watched First Round in seven years, according to Nielsen and digital data from Adobe Analytics. First Round coverage across NBC Sports’ cable platforms produced the most-watched First Round on cable in 25 years and ranks as the second-best First Round on cable on record (since 1994). The First Round milestones were punctuated by three Game 7s, including last night’s Hurricanes-Capitals series finale on NBCSN, which is now the most-watched First Round cable game on record.

Across NBC, NBCSN, CNBC, USA Network, NBCSports.com, and the NBC Sports app, the 45 Stanley Cup Playoff First Round games averaged a Total Audience Delivery (TAD) of 778,000 viewers, making it the most-watched First Round in seven years (2012; 936,000), NBC Sports’ third-most watched First Round ever (since 2006), and up one percent vs. last year (769,000).

NBC Sports’ cable coverage of the 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs First Round across NBCSN, CNBC, USA Network, NBCSports.com, and the NBC Sports app, averaged a TAD of 673,000 viewers, up 18% vs. last year (572,000) and making it the second-most watched First Round on cable on record (1994; 702,000; ESPN networks).

Last night’s double-overtime Game 7 — in which the Carolina Hurricanes defeated the defending Stanley Cup champion Washington Capitals, 4-3 — averaged a TAD of 1.750 million viewers, making it the most-watched First Round cable game on record, up 18% vs. NBCSN’s previous record, set by last year’s Maple Leafs-Bruins Game 7 (1.484 million; NBCSN), and up 16% vs. the previous overall record (1.514 million; 2000 Game 7 Sharks-Blues; ESPN).

Game 7 peaked at 2.522 million TV-only viewers at the end of the first overtime (10:45-11 p.m. ET) and powered NBCSN to its most-watched primetime weeknight (1.716 million viewers; 8-11 p.m. ET) since last year’s Stanley Cup Final Game 2 between Washington and Vegas on May 30 (3.678 million).

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1121818236071243776

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Looking forward to sports anchors being forced to read diatribes about “the right way to play”, “the unwritten rules” and “thug players these days”.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

:barf:
It does figure that Fox would sell to those fuckers I guess.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lee Corso just up and left ESPN's draft coverage in the middle of a segment last night and man I don't want to speculate anything but :ohdear:

It's really awkward to watch. He's pretty clearly struggling.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

DJExile posted:

Lee Corso just up and left ESPN's draft coverage in the middle of a segment last night and man I don't want to speculate anything but :ohdear:

It's really awkward to watch. He's pretty clearly struggling.

according to this, it was the plan all along

https://twitter.com/theMMQB/status/1121809188131414016

But I smell bullshit

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Didn't it finish pretty late on the east coast? He's a very old man who is not in great health, planning to get him out of there fairly early is probably a good idea.

They do a pretty good job protecting him as much as they can on Game Day. Everyone there loves him, he's a huge part of the show's legacy, and he still seems to love doing it, so I get the instinct to let him keep going as long as he can or wants to, but it can still get pretty sad to watch at times.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Hell, he doesn't even do all of Gameday. He sits in for maybe half of the segments.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh I don't blame lee for ducking out mid-show but to do it while they're live and on-camera seems very strange. If he was gonna duck out I'd have expected it to be while they were at commercial or running some pre-taped segment.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think I can buy that he just wanted to do a dumb skit instead of just disappearing between commercials.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mahoning posted:

Hell, he doesn't even do all of Gameday. He sits in for maybe half of the segments.

Yeah he isn't really asked to talk much until they get to the picks at the end (where he still sometimes runs into trouble, but Kirk does a good job helping and covering for him). By and large he's only there so he can do the head gear gimmick at the end.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

howe_sam posted:

:barf:
It does figure that Fox would sell to those fuckers I guess.

Correction: Disney sold to those fuckers.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

on one hand it’s sad to see him struggle, on the other hand i love a good “welp see ya”

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
10 billion seems way more than what some of the offers I had seen were but also, more in line with the going price. I guess that's the next logical step from Sinclair owning all the local market OTA TV, might as well get the regional sports networks too.

Too bad ROH sucks now because they will probably eventually get something on these channels.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
How long has ROH sucked and dont say since the buyout.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

algebra testes posted:

Since a huge chunk of their then core left to start a new company en masse and also Bully Ray is like a key booker now apparently?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

algebra testes posted:

since they hired Enzo Amore and Colin Cassidy and had then do a shoot style run-in during their double branded show with njpw

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I keep saying we need a new Jim Crockett, but no one listens to me!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I was really hoping amazon would buy the regional fox networks.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

soggybagel posted:

I was really hoping amazon would buy the regional fox networks.

Curious as to your reasoning here before I make judgment on good/ bad take

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

iospace posted:

Curious as to your reasoning here before I make judgment on good/ bad take

I didn't feel particularly confident in the type of package a couple of the private equity funds who were bidding on the regionals had. On top of that, its not like we're talking about "good guys" when it comes to the regionals. You think if AT&T, Charter, or Cox bought the Fox regionals they'd be really cool good companies as opposed to Amazon? We're talking massive powerful conglomerate companies or private equity companies buying up the regionals. MY baseline is that its mostly business as usual and a bad case would be they deliver an inferior product than what the Fox Regionals were already doing.

Which is why I thought Amazon buying them at the very least could be interesting. They handle a lot of streaming stuff and I was more than satisfied with how they've handled NFL stuff that they were partner streaming with. I'm not thinking they'd be a big "disruptor" but I'd be more interested to see what they could bring to the table versus say, Sinclair. On top of that I'm already a Prime Member so I would figure they'd have some sort of discount too.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Since a huge chunk of their then core left to start a new company en masse and also Bully Ray is like a key booker now apparently?

Cool thanks. I stopped watching when they got bought by Sinclair and all their then talent left for wwe so I was unclear why it got suddenly worse.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

algebra testes posted:

I enjoyed it like 15 years ago. I think I would've watched it like as recently as 2 years ago though if I had a low effort way to do it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

ROH was quite good in the initial years after Sinclair bought them because their roster was great and Sinclair was almost completely hands off.

As things progressed, the talent left for NXT or their own ventures, the Sinclair exec running ROH got a big head about their success and everything’s just kind of collapsed in a pile of hubris.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Also, E:60 has been killing it lately with the full episodes for Tony Mandarich, Hafthor Bjornsson, the Humboldt Broncos and that series on Jim Calhoun.

Would recommend all of those to everyone.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

Also, E:60 has been killing it lately with the full episodes for Tony Mandarich, Hafthor Bjornsson, the Humboldt Broncos and that series on Jim Calhoun.

Would recommend all of those to everyone.

Yeah E:60 gets kinda lost in the fold with all of ESPN's other work and the 30 for 30s but man almost every one of them are home runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Basically ROH spent 5 years slowly bleeding talent to WWE, didn't go a good job restocking their roster, had almost zero backup plan for the Elite starting their own company despite that being an open secret for months, and now here we are with Matt Taven: World Champion as a real thing.