Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.
Yeah, diverting water onto neighbors' property is a Very Bad Idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The tragedy of the commons, that situation that humans reliably identify and negotiate correctly

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

tagesschau posted:

Yeah, diverting water onto neighbors' property is a Very Bad Idea.

You really do want to leave this to the municipality, because at least when they do it and someone's septic tank backs up into the house and another's foundation is completely washed out, they have insurance for these sorts of things.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

First of all, unlike most boomers my parents never intended to sell the house, their home business is there too and basically intended to live their forever and then for one of us kids to take it and keep it "afterwards"; the constructions/improvements were made for their own quality of living and for us/their grand children later; and looking at the pittance being potentially offered for the buyout anything affordable would be a massively disappointing and depressing step down in quality of life for them.

We couldn't give a flying gently caress about "value", if we could we'd keep that house in our family like we're landed gentry aristocrats surveying our vast tracks of swampland beaver habitat subjects for basically forever if we could just as a massive gently caress you to the town that wants to develop our swamp land that we like keeping as swampland because the beavers, muskrats, mooses, raccoons (we kept a whole family of raccoons as pets for a while), bats, various birds and bears make better neighbours and we like conserving nature; we've basically done the equivalent of lighting the land value of our street on fire ourselves and the neighbours haaaaaaate us for it and gently caress em'.

And gently caress you.

If you're deliberately keeping swampland around your house without building flood management issues you kind of deserve what you get for the floods because YOU'RE INTENTIONALLY LIVING WHERE THE FLOODS NATURALLY GO.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
Swamps and marshlands will help mitigate floods overall, though?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Health Services posted:

Oh absolutely. They're great to have. Just you can't complain about the water coming to you if you're intentionally living in the middle of where the water naturally goes.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Health Services posted:

They do because they flood

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Arivia posted:

If you're deliberately keeping swampland around your house without building flood management issues you kind of deserve what you get for the floods because YOU'RE INTENTIONALLY LIVING WHERE THE FLOODS NATURALLY GO.

That doesn't make sense for our specific situation but I don't feel comfortable with posting a google map of my parent's area to show you. I'm not sure what you're even really talking about, the swamp the *behind* our house and connects to a lake; our house is on a row of houses on a peninsula that juts out in front of the swamp into the river; and the peninsula is like 4 meters above the water level of the river. The *swamp* is not what's causing the flooding. It's not like our house is in the middle of the swamp, the house is on a raised like cliff facing it, the water *from the river* is what's reaching our house; if anything the swamp is doing its job.

If you take your hand and make a Krusty Krabs claw, our peninsula is your thumb, the swamp is the empty area between the thumb and the palm of your hand, and the rest of the emptyness is the lake and then there's more swamp we don't own but people harvest maple syrup from along the finger and then back to the lake and everything past the thumb opposite is the river and about 5 miles upstream is a hydrodam.

I dunno what "flood management" things your suggesting my parents have done but without actually seeing it I doubt it'd have been legal. The town raised the road like 4 feet and it separates our swamp from the public swamp that borders the river.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

That doesn't make sense for our specific situation but I don't feel comfortable with posting a google map of my parent's area to show you. I'm not sure what you're even really talking about, the swamp the *behind* our house and connects to a lake; our house is on a row of houses on a peninsula that juts out in front of the swamp into the river; and the peninsula is like 4 meters above the water level of the river. The *swamp* is not what's causing the flooding. It's not like our house is in the middle of the swamp, the house is on a raised like cliff facing it, the water *from the river* is what's reaching our house; if anything the swamp is doing its job.

If you take your hand and make a Krusty Krabs claw, our peninsula is your thumb, the swamp is the empty area between the thumb and the palm of your hand, and the rest of the emptyness is the lake and then there's more swamp we don't own but people harvest maple syrup from along the finger and then back to the lake and everything past the thumb opposite is the river and about 5 miles upstream is a hydrodam.

I dunno what "flood management" things your suggesting my parents have done but without actually seeing it I doubt it'd have been legal. The town raised the road like 4 feet and it separates our swamp from the public swamp that borders the river.

okay so what the gently caress are you worried about

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Arivia posted:

okay so what the gently caress are you worried about

The floods? That we were just talking about?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Every so often someone gets the brainwave to propose development on the east bank of Riverside Drive in Ottawa.

River. Side.

Rideau, being the river.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/R...6!4d-75.6891563

That green thing that turns to squooshy loamy poo poo every year and will probably start flooding out the road sometime in the next ten.

Don't tug on superman's cape, put anything of value in a place called Tornado Alley or build a house on something called a "flood plain".

Good on the government for wanting to pay those people to move, shame about the cap but there's time to raise (or remove) it.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Raenir Salazar posted:

How bad was it in 2017? I know a guy who built a pretty good river facing levee after that one, rock wall with clay under and behind. Will see how it's holding up this weekend.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

Every so often someone gets the brainwave to propose development on the east bank of Riverside Drive in Ottawa.

River. Side.

Rideau, being the river.

That green thing that turns to squooshy loamy poo poo every year and will probably start flooding out the road sometime in the next ten.

Don't tug on superman's cape, put anything of value in a place called Tornado Alley or build a house on something called a "flood plain".

Good on the government for wanting to pay those people to move, shame about the cap but there's time to raise (or remove) it.

There are billions of dollars in development planned in the Toronto port lands, at the base of the Don River (valley), which floods multiple times a year and fully submerges the adjacent highway.

We've recently decided to waive the requirement that the naturalization and flood mitigation plans actually be implemented before construction begins, on the premise that surely they'll be implemented eventually.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I thought levees were bad because it just shifts the flood water onto someone else and ends up making the flood worse for everyone.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

The floods? That we were just talking about?

And you just said your house is raised up five feet from the swamp area, right? So you should be fine? Like you already have flood mitigation on site, it sounds like.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Arivia posted:

And you just said your house is raised up five feet from the swamp area, right? So you should be fine? Like you already have flood mitigation on site, it sounds like.

5 feet isn't much. The Ottawa is at 8 feet above average and they're now forecasting it to hit 10 feet above, 2017 was 8.5 feet.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

I thought levees were bad because it just shifts the flood water onto someone else and ends up making the flood worse for everyone.

Well that and they inspire people to try to top that Zeppelin song, which they aren't doing.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

Well that and they inspire people to try to top that Zeppelin song, which they aren't doing.

That was the real tragedy of hurricane Katrina, they stopped playing it on the radio for a while.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Radio stations got a couple of plays out of New Orleans is Sinking before they clued in to the troll, though.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Parents of boy who committed terrorist attack want PM to stop calling their terrorist son "a terrorist".

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

flakeloaf posted:

River. Side.

Rideau, being the river.

That sounds like a problem solved by numbered corporations, limited liability, and lobbying. After a year it’s the homeowners’ issue.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ford blames the flooding on Climate Change days after announcing cuts to flood conservation control and declaring that Ontario has "done it's share already" to fight climate change. Disingenuous fucker.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Arivia posted:

It should've been abundantly clear that like, the flooding is still serious; my parents needed to be evacuated via an army amphibious APC in 2017; our wooden deck became a dock for boats to park up against. Like the whole discussion about probably needing to move is because the situation is that bad and the existence of the swamp is irrelevant in comparison to how severe the floods are. You literally needed a boat to get to the house and it is only because of like 600 sandbags that the basement was merely damp with some puddles of water and not knee deep in water. Dealing possibly with this level of flooding every two years to probably every year is not practical.

flakeloaf posted:

River. Side.

Rideau, being the river.

I live near there now! :D

Postess with the Mostest posted:

How bad was it in 2017? I know a guy who built a pretty good river facing levee after that one, rock wall with clay under and behind. Will see how it's holding up this weekend.

Let me know!

Baronjutter posted:

My thought process is that by the time the water gets bad enough to need a levee all of our neighbours are already basically a bunch of isolated islands of sandbags and it can't possibly be worse to turn our house into an island to protect the basement until power gets shut off and the sumps fail to keep the ground water pumping out.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Postess with the Mostest posted:

5 feet isn't much. The Ottawa is at 8 feet above average and they're now forecasting it to hit 10 feet above, 2017 was 8.5 feet.

Ah, okay. I retract my comment in that case.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

It's almost as if Doug Ford and his cronies have a poor grasp on economics and what debt actually is

Honestly I don't think Conservatives or Liberals or those wannabe libs in the NDP care. I'm sure some of them care, but not really.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
As long as our governments focus solely on surviving the four year election cycle the only thing we can expect I'd short term promises while kicking the ever growing ball of climate and economic problems down the road for the next government to ignore in favour of shirt term promises.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

As long as our governments focus solely on surviving the four year election cycle the only thing we can expect I'd short term promises while kicking the ever growing ball of climate and economic problems down the road for the next government to ignore in favour of shirt term promises.

With our luck we will finally elect an NDP government only to have the ball explode in their laps leading to a massive swing back to the Cons and an entire generation deeming the NDP the worst thing to happen to Canadian politics.

Basically fast ferries/Ray Days at the federal level. :smith:

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
PBO has its analysis out (pdf link) on the federal carbon pricing scheme.

Basically, unless you're in the top quintile of income (except Manitoba where it includes the top quintile), the rebates (Schedule 14) that households are getting back will exceed the increase in household energy costs. And this is expected to continue for the next 5 years that the study examined.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Furnaceface posted:

With our luck we will finally elect an NDP government only to have the ball explode in their laps leading to a massive swing back to the Cons and an entire generation deeming the NDP the worst thing to happen to Canadian politics.

Basically fast ferries/Ray Days at the federal level. :smith:

This is 100% what's going to happen to the BCNDP the moment they actually "solve" the housing bubble. It will be 20 years of liberal darkness because "remember when the NDP wiped out everyone's retirement equity and chased away all the foreign investment?"

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

flakeloaf posted:

River. Side.

Rideau, being the river.

Posted this earlier in C-SPAM
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3847177&pagenumber=2&perpage=40#post494108091

People just can't help themselves making poor decisions

e: does the link work properly? It doesn't seem to in the app

EvidenceBasedQuack fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 27, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The post you're linking doesn't seem to exist in that thread

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
I'm not good with computers

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

flakeloaf posted:

Parents of boy who committed terrorist attack want PM to stop calling their terrorist son "a terrorist".

They’d prefer he calls them a “spineless assassin”

Speaking of flooding “Maxime Bernier saving the last box of Jos Louis from the floods”

“After buying out Teo Taxi, Peladeau sets his sights on another massive failure: the roof of the Olympic stadium”

Diversity spread 2019; The provincial prime ministers.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Nine of Eight posted:

Diversity spread 2019; The provincial prime ministers.

Cursed image

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/CTVNews/status/1121802553849712641

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

The first electrical firing Ford's brain has had in years.

"maybe..." he says, trying to connect the pieces.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Arcsquad12 posted:

Bring back divine rule imo

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Syfe posted:

The first electrical firing Ford's brain has had in years.

"maybe..." he says, trying to connect the pieces.

Ford Nation Meltdown in 5...4...

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

just another posted:

Bring back divine rule imo

it looks like we're about to rotate Standard again in fall so maybe in the next set after WAR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Ford's position in the campaign was that climate change is real, it's practically a universal consensus among conservative politicians, Trumpian denialism is truly an aberration.

The policy difference between Ford and Trudeau's fiddling with market incentives or a theoretical NDP government's small ball spending is pretty small compared to the massive state interventions that will be required to actually transition to a post-crisis society, the main sin of the conservatives is that they exploit the denialists and work hand in hand with the industrialists disinformation campaigns, even a dummy like Ford can figure out how to do that while also officially recognizing the reality of climate change.