Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I like the rabbit, but that could just be because I really want a fire/electric type.

Rotom-H is lovely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
We will probably get a few new pokemon revealed in two weeks. May 2013 revealed the kalos name, customization and four pokemon for xy, and it was the alola and starters reveal for sm.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Those starter final evo designs are trash but even if they were good they'd still be fake as gently caress because not one of these would-be leakers thinks to consult someone who knows Japanese. Instead they google translate it and make it obvious at half a glance.

"Satoshi Region Starter" doesn't mean what you think it means, friend, it actually means nothing at all because you don't know what particles are.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

Dabir posted:

lmao at swampert with kecleon's tail

Yeah that design is super uninspired. It just looks like Kecleon trying to be greninja.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

cheetah7071 posted:

it's still better than chesnaught

Chesnaut is a beautiful armor knight. :frogout:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I'd to amend my bad Pokemon list to include Lopunny along with Lucario

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Lopunny's cry is basically a wolf whistle, they knew what they were doing.

Gardevoir and Renamon seem to indicate that the implication of femininity is a lot more interesting than a regular ol titty angel/titty demon.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Jynx and her jugs have been part of this series since before Digimon even existed

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Nasgate posted:

Actually in retrospect, Ultra Recon Squad kinda is bad because literally every other character seems unimportant when their theme isn't th-ese
You grabbed the wrong song, homie. Don't worry, I gotchu fam.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Nth Doctor posted:

You grabbed the wrong song, homie. Don't worry, I gotchu fam.

Fair opinion. Between those, Recon, and RR themes, going back to other games makes battles less fun.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lopunny's cry is basically a wolf whistle, they knew what they were doing.

Gardevoir and Renamon seem to indicate that the implication of femininity is a lot more interesting than a regular ol titty angel/titty demon.

Simple designs allow their viewers to imply whatever they want on them.

Anyways, digimon is rad because their design guideline is "do whatever" so you get a buncha strange monsters that make since for junk data and video game characters.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

less laughter posted:

Jynx and her jugs have been part of this series since before Digimon even existed

I like how Stadium portrayed Jynx as just a living toupee with no actual body.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Moriatti posted:

Anyways, digimon is rad because their design guideline is "do whatever" so you get a buncha strange monsters that make since for junk data and video game characters.

Designs for Digimon are so lax that they used to regularly hold contests in Japan to create your own Digimon and children can enter them so their creations can show up in an episode of the TV shows. Something completely unthinkable in Pokémon.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

what are the design restrictions for pokémon

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

oddium posted:

what are the design restrictions for pokmon

I feel like if there used to be any, they were gone after Gen 2, Gen 3 at most.

edit: i guess you probably can't give a pokémon a gun

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

oddium posted:

what are the design restrictions for pokémon

They have to be some sort of living creature for one. When designing a Pokémon, apparently they also think about how it lives in the wild: What its temperament and biology is like, what it eats, how it interacts with other Pokémon and humans, stuff like that. They're simultaneously designed to be both individuals and an entire species.

They also need to communicate what types they are and even general stats through designs, although these aren't hard or fast rules: For example, Makuhita is primarily yellow and black and has red cheeks, but its a fighting type, not an electric type like Pikachu. It is however big and bulky, which reflects its high HP stat and slow speed.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Dias posted:

i guess you probably can't give a pokémon a gun

one of them *is* a gun

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

less laughter posted:

one of them *is* a gun

I guess Mantine is a member of the NRA.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
National Ray Association

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Dias posted:

I guess Mantine is a member of the NRA.

Its older game sprites made it look like a stealth bomber of sorts. It was pretty cool although later games drop the remoraid from its depictions.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Mantines are cool, I like that you get to surf one in USUM.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Zuzie posted:

They have to be some sort of living creature for one. When designing a Pokémon, apparently they also think about how it lives in the wild: What its temperament and biology is like, what it eats, how it interacts with other Pokémon and humans, stuff like that. They're simultaneously designed to be both individuals and an entire species.

They also need to communicate what types they are and even general stats through designs, although these aren't hard or fast rules: For example, Makuhita is primarily yellow and black and has red cheeks, but its a fighting type, not an electric type like Pikachu. It is however big and bulky, which reflects its high HP stat and slow speed.

It wouldn’t shock me if the designs, especially the big ones they are trying to be very marketable, are focus tested with kids too to see if they find it appealing/cute/cool/tough-looking/smart/beautiful.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm not sure they still keep exactly to it, but one thing I feel distinguishes Digimon is a sense of 'neither one thing nor t'other', there's often odd and contradictory design elements to them that make them clearly beings that couldn't evolve entirely naturally, or aspects of two very different creatures combined in one.

Pokemon can have some overlap there, though it has its own design principles that are harder to describe. The abovementioned principles that a Pokemon isn't just a character but an entire species is a key thing, as well as that most Pokemon are based on animals, sometimes very obscure ones. They have a place and a role in the world.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Is there any way possible to use a pro controller or both joys at the same time for 1p in pokemon lets go eevee? I'm only a few hours in and it feels so awkward only being able to use 1 joycon, not sure if I'm doing something wrong here.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

My favorite trend with the Galar Starter "Leaks" is that they keep screwing up Grookey and make it into a sports mascot instead of a music mascot because all of its names are music-themed but people go "Oh, he's hitting his stick on a rock like a batter on the mound, clearly he's baseball monkey dude guy man thing"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Zuzie posted:

Notorious living creatures, a puddle of slime, an ice cream cone, a keyring,

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Slider posted:

Is there any way possible to use a pro controller or both joys at the same time for 1p in pokemon lets go eevee? I'm only a few hours in and it feels so awkward only being able to use 1 joycon, not sure if I'm doing something wrong here.

Yeah it sucks, the only fix is to play handheld.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Calaveron posted:

i think they just mean the pokemon itself is living, not that what its based on is living

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
let's not forget "pile of sand" and "sand castle".

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Calaveron posted:

Notorious living creatures, a puddle of slime

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slime_mold

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Slider posted:

At best you can play undocked with the joycons attached.

Who wants to bet they don't throw pro controller support to SS?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

That's like betting the sky will remain blue tomorrow.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

At best you can play undocked with the joycons attached.

And who wants to bet there won’t be any new megas or regional forms?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Ice cream cone is one of my favorite lazy designs in the recent gens. It's so Gen 1 lazy -- just adding another head ŕ la Koffing-Weezing and Diglett-Dugtrio. Something about that laziness feels very Pokemon.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
The Klink line is the real worst offender of gen V in that regard.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Calaveron posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animism

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I don’t think all Pokémon are supposed to be strictly “natural.” Even aside from explicitly artificial ones like Porygon, it’s reasonable to assume that things like Magnemite and Baltoy were created by the various ancient civilizations the Pokémon world seems littered with the ruins of.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Nasgate posted:

Actually in retrospect, Ultra Recon Squad kinda is bad because literally every other character seems unimportant when their theme isn't this

Don't forget the Ultra Jungle theme!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Yes, even Pokémon that are based on non-animal things like inanimate objects are also given descriptions and things as if they're living creatures within the world of the series.

For example, the Vanillite line isn't really made of ice cream, but its a creature made of snow and ice that's coincidentally shaped like an ice cream cone. They generally live in cold climates and are sensitive to heat. In fact, the in-universe explanation to why Vanilluxe has a second head is that two Vanillish melted together and refroze, becoming Vanilluxe. Which makes as much sense as the logic behind Slowbro just being a Slowpoke with a transformed Shellder chewing on its tail.