Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Went out and got a circular saw, a bunch of deck screws (2.5" and 2"), some nails, and more 2x4s. Slapped some more poo poo colored thompsons on the 2x4s and away we go.

I hand cut this piece in my exhausted state last night

Yea that was a dumb idea.

So I went out and got a shiny new circular saw partly because my usual one is somewhere else an hour away and that circular is a 20 year old craftsman that still somehow cuts, but I don't know how. The results from using a proper tool are amazing.

I wasn't happy with how the one piece of OSB I did cut yesterday was laying so I bought 2 more 2x4s and cut them into 8 total 23" pieces and attached them.

With that taken care of and a circular saw procured we can get to attaching the OSB to the frame. While doing so I took pictures of a thing I usually do when nailing stuff. If you lay the nail sideways on its head and hammer the head into what you would like to drive the nail through

It creates a little channel

That makes it much easier to drive the nail where you want it in a straight and vaguely precise manner.

This is how things mostly ended up. Since the shelves are about 26" deep that meant I could only get 3.7 cuts out of 1 - 8 foot piece of OSB. Instead of chopping up a 3rd piece of OSB I left gaps on the rear of 2 shelves which worked out well enough so I can stand things through them.

The finished product looks something like this

Stuff is just kind of hucked up there because there is not a whole lot of other places to go with it for now. The garage came with almost no storage space other than the rafters...and for me that just isn't going to work. Something that I think I need to move way up my list is the lighting. There is a single overhead bulb and the light off the garage opener. That's it. Both of those lights are dead center of the garage and quite dim. Thinking I should probably take the lighting situation on next before I do a second shelf.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

big shelf good!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Went out and got a circular saw, a bunch of deck screws (2.5" and 2"), some nails, and more 2x4s. Slapped some more poo poo colored thompsons on the 2x4s and away we go.

I hand cut this piece in my exhausted state last night

Yea that was a dumb idea.

So I went out and got a shiny new circular saw partly because my usual one is somewhere else an hour away and that circular is a 20 year old craftsman that still somehow cuts, but I don't know how. The results from using a proper tool are amazing.

I wasn't happy with how the one piece of OSB I did cut yesterday was laying so I bought 2 more 2x4s and cut them into 8 total 23" pieces and attached them.

With that taken care of and a circular saw procured we can get to attaching the OSB to the frame. While doing so I took pictures of a thing I usually do when nailing stuff. If you lay the nail sideways on its head and hammer the head into what you would like to drive the nail through

It creates a little channel

That makes it much easier to drive the nail where you want it in a straight and vaguely precise manner.

This is how things mostly ended up. Since the shelves are about 26" deep that meant I could only get 3.7 cuts out of 1 - 8 foot piece of OSB. Instead of chopping up a 3rd piece of OSB I left gaps on the rear of 2 shelves which worked out well enough so I can stand things through them.

The finished product looks something like this

Stuff is just kind of hucked up there because there is not a whole lot of other places to go with it for now. The garage came with almost no storage space other than the rafters...and for me that just isn't going to work. Something that I think I need to move way up my list is the lighting. There is a single overhead bulb and the light off the garage opener. That's it. Both of those lights are dead center of the garage and quite dim. Thinking I should probably take the lighting situation on next before I do a second shelf.

Get some storage bins and you could probably make that space look nice and tidy

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

peanut posted:

big shelf good!
Thank you. I'm reasonably happy with how it came out.

QuarkJets posted:

Get some storage bins and you could probably make that space look nice and tidy

This on the list. All the tools and random 2 stroke oil/lubricants/sprays will eventually be going somewhere else.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

I mean....the obvious answer here is to go find the dampers. See if they are closed and open them. Figure out why they are moving (probably just not tightened down enough), tighten them up and figure out a good balance and then make them with a black marker in case they move again.

If you're not up for that call someone, potentially even the same people, and tell them "these keep moving, please fix it so this stops happening." Perhaps have them show you where they are/mark them in case it happens again.

No I mean that they supposedly tightened the dampers their most recent visit.

That said, I may have to call them. For one of the units the only access is a small 2.5x2.5 square in the office accessible by a ladder, and I’m a 6’0” 225lbs guy who can’t fit up there.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

life is killing me posted:

No I mean that they supposedly tightened the dampers their most recent visit.

That said, I may have to call them. For one of the units the only access is a small 2.5x2.5 square in the office accessible by a ladder, and I’m a 6’0” 225lbs guy who can’t fit up there.

Well, it didn't work and you physically can't access them, so your easiest choices are now between call them or call someone else.

There are other options I won't get into here.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I hear this is where we put home improvement stories. My wife and I expanded our tiny back patio. She has most of the in-progress pictures and will probably post them elsewhere on a throwaway and doesn't want to link to it for privacy reasons, but I have a few and want to share/brag/get opened up to criticism on how we Did It Wrong (we learned things during the process), but I think it came out okay. I guess time will tell.

Step one was cutting out the sod (renting a sod cutter: very good idea) and getting rid of the ugly bush berm thing that we suspect was a way to get rid of excess fill dirt from construction. Note the strip of siding that blew off our house in a storm that I was too lazy to repair for MONTHS.

Step two was digging about 5" down and getting rid of the dirt. 5" is about the freeze depth around these parts which is nice because digging is work. This part sucks. Do not do this part by hand if you can avoid it. Have a plan for where the hell you're going to put all this dirt.

Step three was crushed concrete on top of a weed barrier. We also ended up adding some drainage gravel to the furthest corner from the house because our soil doesn't drain and the gravel helped make things less squishy. The crushed concrete was a lot finer than we expected. We put in the grade to slope away from the existing slab and planned on the pavers being a little bit below the slab level, this mostly worked out.

All of the above ended up taking a full day's work. Then we let it sit for a while, it got rained on which helped compact the stuff, also we did the usual "walk all over it" lazy tamp down procedure. The rain is when we figured out we needed the gravel.

Step four started on the second weekend: an inch of sand on top of the crushed concrete/gravel. We used 1" outer diameter PVC pipe segments and a long 2x4 to screed it level.

Step five: pavers pavers pavers

Pavers are in place and paver edging is pounded in. Still haven't fixed the siding! The two square planters are going to get filled with quikcrete and topped with stone to be supports for the eventual string lights. This worked out okay in the end but we ended up needing another support because string lights are heavier than we expected and also 3/4" inner diameter steel pipe bends more than we thought.

We were lucky in that the gap between the final paver and the house foundation was exactly one decorative brick wide. We just figured we'd deal with whatever gap we ended up with and this was very fortuitous. With all the pavers down, we swept sand into the cracks to lock them in place. Did this a few times as they settled out.

Fixed the siding! And got the string lights up. The third, smaller planter pot was heavy enough but smaller in footprint so I ended up pounding a 3' length of pipe into the ground next to it, making a kind of inverted-L shaped bracket to stop it from tipping over. It looks like we planned it that way so hooray. Also, landscaping! We used the grass we cut out of the landscaping to edge most of the patio; we had used the rest of it to go over a big dead spot in the backyard. There was almost enough.

Artsy bragging end of project shots. (way in the back of the yard you can see where we lazily dumped the dirt from Step 1 :ssh:) We're probably going to put that cheap trellis up permanently at some point...soon. Projects never end. Last night we had the inaugural patio party and it went very well.

Total cost for the pavers and associated supplies was about $600. The string lights project ended up running about $350 including the lights. Landscaping was about another $250. Took two weekends of work and then some lightweight puttering over the course of a few afternoons for finishing things up. But, of course, it's never really finished.

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 28, 2019

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I am literally in the middle of digging up our yard to do something similar. Pavers were special ordered and are arriving either next weekend or the following. Digging by hand is rough though, but luckily we are going to need the dirt to raise up a large section of our yard so I've just been dumping it there for now.

I'll be sure to share progress pics when it's all done.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That looks great. I put in a small one at my house a few years ago and it was waaaay more work than I thought it would be. What’s that cool looking grill/firepit/hibachi thing?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

That looks great. I put in a small one at my house a few years ago and it was waaaay more work than I thought it would be. What’s that cool looking grill/firepit/hibachi thing?

Thanks! It's a BioLite Firepit, we wanted a firepit/thing but we didn't want to build one into the patio itself and this seemed perfect. And we can toss it in the trunk when we do car camping trips too.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

overdesigned posted:

Thanks! It's a BioLite Firepit, we wanted a firepit/thing but we didn't want to build one into the patio itself and this seemed perfect. And we can toss it in the trunk when we do car camping trips too.

Is it really smoke free?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Jealous Cow posted:

Is it really smoke free?

On the highest setting it cuts the smoke way back, but smoke-free is...not always guaranteed? I've only done two fires in it so far. On lower settings, not as much reduction, and the high setting is a little loud. If you load the thing past the upper jets near the rim of the unit you'll also get more smoke regardless of fan speed. I have found myself usually keeping it at setting 2 or 3 (of four) The fan does make fires start very easily, too, for what that's worth.

It's also still unpleasant to get hit with the blast of mostly smokeless fire air even if it is smokeless, too. It's still hot fire air. I would say the appeal of it for me was in the portability, design, and size; the smokeless fan thing was a secondary (but still meaningful) aspect. Haven't tried doing grilling on it since we haven't gone camping with it yet.

I don't want to say that I dislike it; I really like it, but if your #1 goal is the smokeless fire aspect you should probably manage expectations a bit.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

overdesigned posted:

On the highest setting it cuts the smoke way back, but smoke-free is...not always guaranteed? I've only done two fires in it so far. On lower settings, not as much reduction, and the high setting is a little loud. If you load the thing past the upper jets near the rim of the unit you'll also get more smoke regardless of fan speed. I have found myself usually keeping it at setting 2 or 3 (of four) The fan does make fires start very easily, too, for what that's worth.

It's also still unpleasant to get hit with the blast of mostly smokeless fire air even if it is smokeless, too. It's still hot fire air. I would say the appeal of it for me was in the portability, design, and size; the smokeless fan thing was a secondary (but still meaningful) aspect. Haven't tried doing grilling on it since we haven't gone camping with it yet.

I don't want to say that I dislike it; I really like it, but if your #1 goal is the smokeless fire aspect you should probably manage expectations a bit.

I’m moving to a place in a subdivision with a much much much smaller yard and I’m sensitive to smoking out my neighbors. My current fire pit makes a ton of smoke.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I'd say it sounds like a good solution for you as long as you don't overload it; accept its small size and keep the fan going and it should do what you want. Just realize you won't get a huge roaring fire if you want it smokeless.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

Well, it didn't work and you physically can't access them, so your easiest choices are now between call them or call someone else.

There are other options I won't get into here.

Turns out it was an EEV stepper motor and temp sensors...the inside would kick on but the outside unit would not. Oh, and a dual run capacitor. Until he can replace the rest of what needs to be replaced tomorrow, it’s just recycling room temperature air...so thank goodness it’s getting a little cooler at night. We’d run the other unit couple to try and circulate a couple degrees cooler air but our son’s room is on that side so we are kinda screwed for tonight.

To be frank I was going to be pretty pissed if it was the dampers and I was going to let this company know it.

The worst part is, when the house was built the subs who installed the unit failed to register it with Trane, meaning we didn’t get our ten year warranty. Luckily it’s still under five years old so there’s that. We know who installed it and could try to get them to do the repairs for free since they hosed up, but this is just another mistake on the bewilderingly long list of mistakes the builder and/or subs made in building the house, for which we have to keep paying out of pocket because we don’t have the time to go round and round with unreliable subs who never call us back or answer follow-up calls.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Made my 2nd garage shelf. Of course was dumb and hosed up a whole bunch....which having already made one probably shouldn't have happened. The 3rd one will be good though (it won't)!

Everything is still very not organized, but it's off the floor and much more out of the way so I can continue my 'improvements'.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

So I had some issue with rainwater seeping into the basement.

Between the floor and walls. My investigation says it's gutter overflow. Only in extremely heavy rains.

So I had water proofing guy come. Wants 11K for basement drains, and some sorta plastic wall barrier.

And 7K for fancy new gutters. (6inch with gutter shutter)

I think my current gutters are fine, just need to beef up debris protection because my yard has a couple oak trees and I live in the south.

I should tell this guy to fuckoff yeah?

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

TheReverend posted:

We got a basement waterproofing/moisture mitigation quote for 18k, work would include interior French drains and a pair of fancy-rear end sump pumps. Our basement is sandstone and is persistently damp in the summer, wetter when it rains, like puddles in the corner. It is also huge (hence the need for two sump pumps). Haven't acted on it because I want to see how/if repointing improves things first. We fitted our gutters with LeafFilter for like 2k, so that should help a bit keeping gutter overflow away from the house perimeter.

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!

TheReverend posted:

So I had some issue with rainwater seeping into the basement.

Between the floor and walls. My investigation says it's gutter overflow. Only in extremely heavy rains.

So I had water proofing guy come. Wants 11K for basement drains, and some sorta plastic wall barrier.

And 7K for fancy new gutters. (6inch with gutter shutter)

I think my current gutters are fine, just need to beef up debris protection because my yard has a couple oak trees and I live in the south.

Do your gutters properly connect to downspouts that drain away from the house? Do the wet locations in the basement correlate with downspout areas outside? I had a similar problem in basement (fieldstone foundation) and completely fixed it by cleaning my gutters, making sure the downspouts were attached properly, and running the drains to drywells set back about 20' from the house. The drywells aren't even necessary, just prevented me from having to have ugly extended drains off the downspouts to keep the water from seeping back into the foundation. I'd try this kind of fix first before dumping a lot of money at it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
We still get some water in the basement after waterproofing to the foundation -- as the water table rises, water gets in between the walls and the slab (because it was built in 1925 with a dirt basement, and later dug out for a basement floor). It takes a ton more rain for it to happen, though. So depending on when and how your house was built, you may always get some water incursion that you'll just have to live with.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm linking this other thread because storage shelf buds gotta stick together

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553021

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I have a 1979 basement. It's poured.

I'm pretty sure it's just gutter overflow in exceptionally heavy rains. And the only reason it overflows is because of all the tree debris. I have gutters cleaned at least 4 times a year already.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

But yeah downspouts connect and are good.

Got those black plastic extendos too.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

TheReverend posted:

I have a 1979 basement. It's poured.

I'm pretty sure it's just gutter overflow in exceptionally heavy rains. And the only reason it overflows is because of all the tree debris. I have gutters cleaned at least 4 times a year already.

Look into LeafFilter. We got it after seeing it at the local home and garden convention because we have large trees around the house and our gutters are near inaccessible at 29' and very close to the neighboring houses. It's hard to tell so far if it's helping for basement moisture because we have additional issues (like the walkout stairway funneling rain and mud into the basement), but it solved the issue of having to regularly access and clean the gutters (dangerous), or hire someone to do it (expensive).

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I'll probably have a longer post at some point, but I recently bought a house and at the top of the list of things I didn't expect to say (above "ANOTHER orange tree?!?" And, "is that ... A banana?") Is, "OH. There's a wasp nest in the garage."

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

One rule of home ownership is that there is always at all times (A) a wasp/hornet nest somewhere on your house and (B) a spider web for *insert dangerous spider in your climate zone* somewhere on your property.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

mutata posted:

One rule of home ownership is that there is always at all times (A) a wasp/hornet nest somewhere on your house and (B) a spider web for *insert dangerous spider in your climate zone* somewhere on your property.

If you're lucky one will resolve the other!

Do you have a spider home crawl space?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
No, this is southern California - home was built in 1988, nothing was updated.
Nothing.
Still had carpet by the master bathroom and all the original appliances and whatnot.

It does have the so cal alternative, though, it's on a hill in landslide and wildfire territory!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

No, this is southern California - home was built in 1988, nothing was updated.
Nothing.
Still had carpet by the master bathroom and all the original appliances and whatnot.

It does have the so cal alternative, though, it's on a hill in landslide and wildfire territory!

My socal home has a crawl space. It's where the spiders live. We have a deal, I don't go in their home and they don't come in mine.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

H110Hawk posted:

My socal home has a crawl space. It's where the spiders live. We have a deal, I don't go in their home and they don't come in mine.

A DARK BARGAIN IS STRUCK

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

H110Hawk posted:

Who, how did you convince them to not live under the couch? The spiders here don't care for the crawlspace and just want to live under the couch and in our towels.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

El Jebus posted:

Who, how did you convince them to not live under the couch? The spiders here don't care for the crawlspace and just want to live under the couch and in our towels.

Pyrethrins.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
My bed has slats, and the slats have little screws that screw into them with a rubber foot on the end that you can adjust so they touch the ground in the middle. Unfortunately, they're short enough that when I put the bed's actual feet onto grips to stop them sliding, they don't really touch the ground properly.

Is there a name for those little screws that I could search to order more, or do I just need to carry one to Lowes' and find screws and rubber heads for screws that match their width?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You mean something like these things? https://www.amazon.com/Kings-Brand-Adjustable-Threaded-Glides/dp/B0763V591D/

I think they’re usually called “glides”.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You mean something like these things? https://www.amazon.com/Kings-Brand-Adjustable-Threaded-Glides/dp/B0763V591D/

I think they’re usually called “glides”.

Yeah, mine don't look anything like that, though, so I'm probably stuck taking the mattress off the bed.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Good luck, but if you search “bed glides” you’ll find a bunch of different looking ones.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

As someone who is pretty handy overall but has never done any bricklaying, how hard would it be for me to DIY something like this:

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Ghostnuke posted:

As someone who is pretty handy overall but has never done any bricklaying, how hard would it be for me to DIY something like this:

The mailbox or the walkway?

One of the hardest parts would be cutting the bricks, which you should do by renting a brick splitter or a wet saw. The other semi-hard part is pouring a solid, level concrete footing. This looks like a rough guide: https://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/outdoors/structures/how-to-build-a-brick-mailbox

Not mentioned, however, is that the mailbox is probably illegal. US-DOT/USPS has requirements for mailboxes that are on roads (all of them) to ensure the the post isn't really that sturdy to allow it to easily break/fall over if a vehicle hits it. Around here, a guy on a 35MPH road got his mailbox run over, so he embedded some chunky steel I-beam in a huge ball of concrete. It's fun to think of how you'll laugh at the loser that hits your mailbox...until the personal injury lawyers show up and sue the poo poo out of you for an illegal post.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Brickwork is on my list of things I'll never do myself, it's fukken annoying. If I was encircling an entire garden I might do it myself but it's one of those things (like plastering) that requires a lot of skill to make it look easy and that skill takes practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Jaded Burnout posted:

Brickwork is on my list of things I'll never do myself, it's fukken annoying. If I was encircling an entire garden I might do it myself but it's one of those things (like plastering) that requires a lot of skill to make it look easy and that skill takes practice.

:same:

It's so loving amazing how good masons are at what they do. This is absolutely true of all trades, but for some reason I think it's most blindingly obvious with bricklaying because honestly how hard can slapping down some mud and stacking bricks be?